beardedhag
Newly Registered

What might these be...plant or weed?

I am hoping someone here can help out. This plant started growing in the flower beds in my friend's yard last year. He has no idea where they came from and we have never seen anything like them before. He says they are very fast growing and keep multiplying. They are 4-6 feet tall and have bunches of drooping dark green leaves, several inches long, from the ground up. On the top 6-8 inches of the plant, the leaves turn a vibrant pink color. The stalk of the plant is about 2 inches and in diameter, and a light red in color. Excuse the horrible pic, it was taken with a camera phone.

[img]https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/beardedhag/unknown_plant.jpg[/img]

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi there! I have a few questions about the plant before even guessing what it is.
What location are you in - gives an idea of what climate it grows in.
Is it a perennial - growing from the same plant every year, or is it an annual, starting new plants every year?
At what part of the season does it bloom?
What shape are the leaves?
At first I thought maybe it was a reflex chrysanthemum, but am not too sure, as you say the leaves turn pink as well. :?
Get back to us - we'll keep on the trail! :wink:
VAL

beardedhag
Newly Registered

Hello,

Here is some info in response to your questions...

We live in Cleveland, Ohio

The plants appear to be perennials, as he just cut down the plants last year but didn't dig them out of the ground.

Not sure about the bloom, there are no actual blooms yet. The only color I've seen on the plants are the changing of the leaves color to bright pink on the top 8-12 inches of the plant.

The leaves are approximately 1/2" wide and 4-6" long. They are naturally curled downward and have a pointed end. They are quite dense on each plant. They are a deep shade of green.

From what he tells me this started out as a single plant last year in a narrow bed along the back of his house. He was going to take it out but his mother liked it so much she told him to leave it. The plants now cover the entire bed...about 35' long. He now has them cropping up behind his garage about 50' away, as well...lol. He also said that they grow extremely fast, like, well...like a weed..lol.

I will be going over there with my regular camera soon and will take some closeups if you think that will help. The plants are really quite beautiful and I wouldn't mind placing some in my yard as well.

Thanks very much for the reply :)

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Well, you've got me stumped! :? I'm really not sure what they are. A better picture might be of more help. Also, is this all the plant does, or does it eventually have a bloom as well - if so what does it look like?
Anyone else out there with any ideas........?
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I'd say that fast growth rate rules out perennials; these are coming back from seed...What annuals got planted there say, two years ago...? (Don't necesarily need to look just like this; seeds revert to parent plants...)

Can't tell much from the pic; could you post that to a website so we could look at a larger image...?

HG

Amaranth - Probably Joseph's Coat variety. The genus is Amaranthus

It's considered an annual in the midwest but will reseed if it in a protected area.

Go to google - click on images and type in the genus name with the variety in" ". Then type in name in google web for the specifics. These seeds can arrive via birds or bees.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

You are right on!! Thanks! 8)
The name of this plant is Amaranthus tricolor, but is also known as
Summer Poinsettia, Joseph's Coat, Tampala, Chinese Spinach, Vegetable Amaranth, Een Choy. It's foliage can be pink,red, yellow or green. It is grown from seed.
Mystery solved! :wink:
VAL
Last edited by grandpasrose on Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beardedhag
Newly Registered

Yes! That is definitely it. Thanks so much for all of the help! :)

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Not a problem! That's what it's all about! I had never seen that plant before, so I learned something too! :wink:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Is that the same plant as the food crop?

And thanks for the I.d. :D

HG

There are quite a number of Amaranthus species and varieties within those species.

The garden ornamentals are A. caudatus (love-lies-bleeding) with newer cultivars available and A. tricolor (Joseph's Coat) also having cultivars.

There are two or three species that are grain crops: One was developed from A. caudatus with the others having named varieties. I know only to avoid the most commonly found Plainsman(?) as that is a grain type and not what one wants to plant as an ornamental.

The vegetable Famiy under Amaranthus Genus is Tampala. There are no named varieties. The plant will be found as Tampala. The common names of vegetable amaranthus, chinese spinach and Een Choy refer to Tampala. This veggie resembles spinach or swiss chard but unlike spinach likes lots of heat and can take drought. I have purchased it as greens but never grown it.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

This was the mast food crop for the Incan and Azteca empires; sure they're gone, but not because of bad food! WE could do well to learn some of these antique foods...

S

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”