BigLou
Newly Registered

New plant poppin up in my plants

Aight, I have I think 11 plants growing out in the woods, but two days ago, these weird seedlings of some random plant popped up around my second biggest plant. The seedling had big thick leavs to start out with and now its growing really weird almost shapeless paper thin green leaves. Will these kill my plants?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Welcome! :)

I can't offer an ID of the "intruders" without a picture, but based on your description, I have a suspicion of what they might be. Whether or not they will damage the 11 plants you are growing will depend somewhat on what your 11 plants are. For instance, if they're trees, then the smaller plants probably won't damage them. If your 11 plants are a more tender type of plant, then the intruders might cause some damage by taking nutrients from the soil.

Would you care to post a pic? :)

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Sounds like law enforcement types might be more of a threat to the 11 plants than the intruders. :lol:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Charlie MV wrote:Sounds like law enforcement types might be more of a threat to the 11 plants than the intruders. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

BigLou
Newly Registered

Charlie MV wrote:Sounds like law enforcement types might be more of a threat to the 11 plants than the intruders. :lol:
What makes you think that now?

I cant get a pic cause I have no digital camera, but the plants are an annual flowering shrub

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

BigLou wrote:

I cant get a pic cause I have no digital camera, but the plants are an annual flowering shrub
The intruder plants sound like they would be pretty harmless, since you're growing shrubs. You could just pull them out.

It's hard to exactly what the intruder plants are based on the description you gave, but my first thought was annual Sweet Honesty. It's a very common garden plant and grows well in deep shade. It has purple to lavender flowers, but the seed pods are semi-transparent flat discs. They aren't leaves, but might look like leaves to someone who didn't have experience with the plant. Anyway, Sweet Honesty, also known as "Money Plant" and "Silver Dollar Plant" is very commonly grown, so it wouldn't be impossible for some seeds to have invaded the area where your shrubs are growing.

Do you mind my asking what your shrubs are? I'm particularly fond of rhododendrons and azaleas, which grow wild in forest clearings around where I live. :)

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

BigLou wrote:

Just wishful thinking Big Lou. Your description was a little cryptic. I'm a child of the 70's :)

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Aww, Charlie, you didn't "grow your own" now, didja? :wink: :wink:
Happy Gardening,
Wing

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

No Wing, you could like buy a whole grocery bag full for 15 bucks back then. :lol:

BigLou
Newly Registered

the intruders aren't sweet honesty, the whole plant is hairy and pretty ugly

Gnome
Mod

Lou,

Lunaria (Silver Dollar Plant) are pubescent so I would not necessarily rule out the possibility. I have never seen them in the woods though.

Norm

BigLou
Newly Registered

Gnome wrote:
I have never seen them in the woods though.
Its growing in a pot, and the area its in is actually really clear, the only reason its in the woods is to protect what's supposed to be growing

If it grows into a pretty plant, I want to keep it, but if it's going to harm my crop or if its going to be ugly all of its life, Ill take it up

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I give up! :lol: :lol: Not knowing the area where you're located is a major drawback for me. If you're on the east coast, I'm sure the forest plants I'm familiar with would not be likely candidates for your intruders. The only "big, hairy" plants I know of all need full to partial sun. Sorry!

BigLou
Newly Registered

Kisal wrote:I give up! :lol: :lol: Not knowing the area where you're located is a major drawback for me. If you're on the east coast, I'm sure the forest plants I'm familiar with would not be likely candidates for your intruders. The only "big, hairy" plants I know of all need full to partial sun. Sorry!
I live in NC, in the flat area of it to the east

Gnome
Mod

BigLou,

I don't understand the problem here, if they are in your pots pull them out. I routinely pull anything from my potted trees, I don't want the competition for water or nutrients.

Norm

BigLou
Newly Registered

Gnome wrote:BigLou,

I don't understand the problem here, if they are in your pots pull them out. I routinely pull anything from my potted trees, I don't want the competition for water or nutrients.

Norm
Ive already pulled them out of my plans, but theres more growing in one of the pots where a plant died, and now I want to know if theyre worth growing whatever they are

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”