Grower

Sweet Potato Help

Anyone heard of the Oklahoma Red variety of sweet potato. I've planted some, but have come up empty on any info about them period. If anyone knows anything, I would appreciate the info. Thank you :D .

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The Gardener is no help at all here; all I could find was that it was a semi-bush variety that matures in 120 days.Throwing this one out to the forum; little help here, folks...

Scott

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I'm not sure about Oklahoma Red but, I was told that the way to plant sweet potatoes is to cut place a couple of toothpicks around the center of the potato and place it in a jar half filled with water until several eyes or roots sprout out of the tuber then cut in half and plant.

I cut them in half first and then have two tubers to plant instead of one.

I hope this works for you

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thanks Opa!

Scott

Just a Beginner

I am needing some information on Sweet Margarite sweet potato vine. I bought my plant at a nursery as an ornamental plant. However, when pulling up the "frost-bitten" vines today, I discovered some very large potatoes. Are these edible like other sweet potato varieties? If I want to propagate more plants for next year, can I do the "half-potato-in-a-jar-with-toothpicks" thing? Do I need to leave them in the ground to come up again next year by themselves? I really enjoyed this plant - a lot of bang for my buck! :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Save those tubers! (Try a bucket of moist sand in the basement or some other cool, dark place; maybe some neem oil to keep the rot off of them).

It'll be an even better show next year!

Scott

P.S. Yes it's edible, but not bred for eating. You can do better...

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”