pete28

Need help with Kittens ASAP!

Ok long story short my cat had 6 kittens all healthy thank goodness and they are about 4 weeks old. the problem is that my wife and girls are on vacation and I am not sure how to tackle this little problem I have.

the kittens are fully using there intestinal track and are pooping all over the place! this is the first time I have seen them poop unless there mother was disposing of it somehow? Anyways the problem that I have is where to put a litter box for them and how do I teach them to use it?

the location is a problem because I have 5 dogs that love to eat the stuff in the litter box (barf). I have the kittens in the bedroom with me and the dogs stay outside all day but they come in at night to sleep. the kittens sleep in the old dogs crate. they have not been out of the bedroom yet as I am home alone and simply cant round them all up and keep an eye on them.

What do I do?
Begin again before you end and start the process over again.

webmaster
Site Admin

I used to put kittens overnight in a large plastic cat transporter. Just lock it in there with water and a little box for pooping. This is important for getting them used to mellowing down at night. For very young kittens it's recommended to use torn strips of newspaper in order to avoid urinary tract blockages.

They should naturally be attracted to pooping in a litter box full of shredded paper. Before they're fixed though, the males may tend to spray on curtains and stuff.

pete28

Ok thanks. I was wondering why they were meowing so much when I put them in the carrier at night. I will get some newspaper and waer and try it tonight.

Thank you
Begin again before you end and start the process over again.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

If they're getting to the "crawling and exploring" stage, it would also be useful to get a baby gate to protect the bedroom from dogs exploring kittens...

Definitely provide adequate toilet facilities; Momma Cat may take it upon herself to show Baby Cats what litter boxes are for.

The shelter I volunteer for uses torn-up newspaper for kitten litter boxes, so I'd go along with previous advice re. that!

Good luck. You might also call a nearby vet clinic or shelter for their advice until you're relieved of kitten duty.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Move momma cat's litter box in the bedroom if that's where the kittens are sleeping, they should not be separated from her at night or at all until they are over 8 weeks old. My bitches (momma cats) usually shredded their own newspaper, I just threw whole sheets in the box. For the first few weeks, she will clean up after them while they are still in the birthing box. If they are jumping out of the birthing box then they need a litter box w/shredded newspaper nearby or you can buy the recycled stuff to put in there. Can you clear the floor of the closet for the box? Do not put their food/water next to the litter or they won't use the litter and probably will not eat or drink. When they see Momma cat using the litter they will learn from her example, which is why it's important to have the box where they can see it and have ready access. The sides should be low enough so they can get in/out easily or they'll find someplace else. I wouldn't crate them unless it was the size of a large dog crate, to give them room for sleeping at one end and a small box at the other--BUT, do not separate them from momma at this early stage! I raised two kittens that were separated about 2 weeks too early (allegedly 8 weeks, but I have my doubts), and have had problems that continue into adulthood because they lacked those last two weeks w/the mother. I advise against separating them at night, also; it places undue stress on both the kittens and the mother. Especially if this is her first litter, she needs to have access to them 24/7, access to plenty of high-protein food and fresh water until they're totally weaned.
The dogs will have to adjust for a month or so. It's good they can be socialized to each other, but the kittens take priority here. Our three had to adjust whilst the kittens were completing their training, and grown up enough not to appear as toys to our dogs.
BTW, good luck! Feel free to post back if you have questions. And if you don't want more of this in a few months, you'd better have momma spayed after this batch is weaned. Consult your vet for timing.
Happy Gardening,
Wing

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”