kimberlyw1
Newly Registered

Year Round Fragranced Flower Garden

I'm starting fresh and would like to create a garden that consists of flowers of fragrance that will last year round. I know all flowers do not live year round but I would like to plant a variety as to when one ends it's season another one is beginning it's season.

I've never gardened before so you are working with a NOVICE!

I like Stargazers, Casa Blancas, Gardenias adn Tulips

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

kimberlyw1

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Okay, here we go. The very first thing that you want to do is establish some really good soil for your flower garden. I always recommend mixing in organic matter in the form of leaf mulch (a must), perhaps some coffee grounds (available for free from coffee shops, this provides nitrogen), manure and so on. I have a lot of good links in the organic forum on building soil. Anyway, once that is all up and running. You may wish to plant a lot of perennials.

Daylilies are wonderful because you can get cultivars that bloom in both spring and fall. Roses are great and we are lucky enough to have a rose expert at THG who will most definately be giving you some advice.

There is a perennial sunflower out there called Helianthus maximilianii (Maximillian sunflower) that not only blooms all summer long but, is also a great deer barrier and the shoots are edible and the seeds will attract beneficial birds to your garden.

Elaeognus multiflora (Goumi) is a flower/fruiting shrub that will also fix nitrogen into the soil. The berries are also edible.

And no garden should go without a passion flower. Passiflora incarnata (Maypop) is a passion flower that also sports an edible fruit. Passion flowers are best grown on a trellice of some sort. I have a friend and gardening companion who picked up a metal arbour from Walmart for 10 dollars and has her passion flower growing on that. The Fragrance of these things is amazing.

Do a search on google for companion plants for various flowers. I know that certain marigolds are companion plants with Roses. As is Vetch. Vetch also sports a pretty, purple flower and the plant helps to fix nitrogen so that will feed the soil and reduce or eliminate any fertilizing you have to do.

Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions. :)

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Well, you like lilies, so that's a good start!
Here's a list to start you off:

Roses:
A few very fragrant hybrid tea roses are Fragrant Cloud (also known as Duftwolke),Barbra Streisand. Double Delight, and Mister Lincoln
A couple of popular fragrant shrub roses are Gertrude Jekyll and L.D. Braithwaite, while a very fragrant rugosa rose is Therese Bugnet. All of these should give you several periods of bloom.

Shrubs:
Mock Orange is a very fragrant shrub that blooms in early summer.
Another very fragrant shrub that blooms in early spring is Daphne - amazing smell!
Other shrubs include azaleas, gardenias and lilacs.

Bulbs:
Lilies - of course! Daffodils and hyacinths.

Perennials:
Phlox - many varieties and very fragrant.
Another flower that can be very fragrant (many of the varieties are) are Flag or German Irises. You can get these in spring and fall blooming varieties now.
Hostas - some have a wonderful scent.
Lavender, Lily of the Valley, Dianthus also have nice scents.

Vines:
Fragrant vines include several varieties of clematis, honeysuckle and jasmine.

If you are looking for specific varieties, I can be more specific, but have just given you an overview.
Fragrant gardens can be so incredible!
I just walked out onto my patio this afternoon where the sun is shining on my garden of Tea roses, and the smell was glorious!! :D
Have Fun! :wink:
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I neglected to include a couple of wonderful plants on the list:
Peonies - many different varieties that bloom at different times, so you could have a succession
Jacob's Ladder - several varieties - bloom several times for you if they are kep deadheaded.
I also have a much longer list of different roses if you are interested in more, I just listed a couple.
I have all of these and the prior mentioned plants in my gardens, and they are truly fragrant! 8)
You will need to plant your garden according to height, bloom time etc. so that you get a good flow.
Feel free to ask any questions you have! :wink:
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

kimberlyw1
Newly Registered

Thank you all for your helpful tips! I can't wait to DIG in! I will definitely keep you updated with my progress once I begin.

webmaster
Site Admin

Just wanted to point to a helpful article Scott wrote in the main Helpful Gardener website about Year Round [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/flower/2003/index.html]Fragrant Flower Gardens[/url].

This is a great thread. I learned the importance of starting out with good soil. Do come back and let us know how it worked out.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Why thank you Roger...

Frer

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”