TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Don't buy this Neverkink hose!

https://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=6131-1596-8640-75&lpage=none

They advertise it as a Neverkink Hose but the only place it doesn't kink is the area where it connect to the spigot, Everywhere else it kinks like a regular hose.

And don't buy this one recommended by the Arthritis Foundation either-
https://www.brookstone.com/sl/reviews/9164-review-300-feet-of-deluxe-all-season-hose.html
You will get arthritis from using that and it kinks too.

What a rip off.

I'm sort of tiring of hoses that are supposedly kink free, retractable, and that don't leak. I don't think there is such a thing as a hose on a reel that doesn't leak no matter what anyone says.

Jess
Greener Thumb

TheLorax wrote: You will get arthritis from using that and it kinks too.
:lol: You are right. No hose you can wind will not kink. You have a choice of kink or leave lying on the ground. There are kink resistant but in my experience they will eventually kink as they wear.
The self coiling one https://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=146267 that was supposed to be the new wonder hose a few years ago is enough to drive you insane. :evil: It self coils around itself and everything else between it and the plant you want to water. Once you have used it a few times it is in such a tangle you can never use it again!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Ha ha ha! We are all getting "hosed" by hose ads!

That coil design can work well but not in an actual garden setting. It works well in a greenhouse where the water feed comes from above. Outside it does exactly what you said it does and coils around everything like a boa constrictor.

Well, who else will admit to getting hosed by hose ads?

grue
Newly Registered

I've got two of that same hose... Definitely capable of kinking from time to time, but mine seem to be better about not doing it than most hoses I've owned. For leaks at the hose reel I just apply teflon tape (available in the plumbing section of any hardware/home improvement store) and it seals them right up - no more puddles.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

don't buy it.
Last edited by Charlie MV on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nettiemae
Newly Registered

Hi, I'm the all time queen of the kinked hose. Every hose I bought seemed to kink & do a figure 8 while I'm winding it around the hose hanger. And to drag it around to all the flower beds...spent more time undoing kinks than watering.
Charlie is right if you can squeeze it, & it flattens or you can bend it & kink it, DON'T buy it. I have 2 hoses now that are heavy rubber type material that I got g-sales & they don't kink. I don't know what brand they are but I have them coupled together and I drag them around my house & never a kink. Same when I re-wind them. They hang nicely. They're older hoses and they aren't pretty pink or bright yellow but they DON'T kink! I keep good washers in them & make sure the fittings are tight to protect from leaks.
Wish I could tell you the brand...sorry!
Aren't g-sales great?
Have a great day! :D

Monkeywoman
Newly Registered

I've bought 3 of these NeverKink hoses and ALL of them kink. I told the clerk at Lowes how they kink and he said they use them in the gardening department and they always kink. (And here I thought maybe it was me). It's very frustrating! I just wrote to the company and told them to either change the product name or stop the false advertising! Save yourself and don't buy them.

SOB
Green Thumb

This past spring I bought a 100’ NeverKink and I love it! I took the time when first un-packaging it to read the directions and straighten out the hose before the first use. I think that part is crucial! I roll it up by hand and it’s real easy to roll into a nice circular pile – just give the hose a little twist as you roll it up. I'm not sure what you guys are doing to this hose to make it kink up on you but I have no issues with mine…

imafan26
Mod

I did get a hose that came in a coil, but it never claimed to be kink free. It was convenient because it sprung back, and it was light. Unfortunately, it was only for light jobs. It was only 25 ft long and the diameter was small so not a lot of water coming out of it.

I did have somebody who kept taking my hose out to wash his car and not put it back though.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Thelorax you did not state if you had or did not have a Neverkink hose, do you have one?
I have three of the Neverkink hoses two 100' and a 50'. I also have a collection of cheaper hoses, all of the cheap ones kink constantly. I had a NeverKink hose kink once, and it was my fault for the way I just pulled it from a tangle. The NeverKink is by far the best made hose I have found, the fittings are made from a thick brass, the rubber is thick, and the female end has a nice strain relife on them. They are a bit heavy. I reccomend them highly, but do read the instructions. Yes any hose can kink, having the hose kink once in the whole time I have had them darn good, my other hoses kink 5 times per use.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Not only do my normal hoses kink as I drag them around, I have to un-kink them when I unroll them. When I water some of my plants by hand, I drag the hose around all kinds of places. I often have two of the 100' hoses hooked together, so having to fight the hose and run back 100' to unkink it is not good. Any improvement I get is well worth it. If you think there is a better hose, tell me.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

To be clear on my last post, it was other than Never Kink hoses that I had to run back to un-kink, I have not had this problem with the Never Kink hose. I have a large property, so I use what I have a lot, and they have to work well, or get replaced with something that does. I added this after seeing how many people read this topic. One poster here did have an issue with the hose; she has posted one time on this forum, so she must have Googled it so she could tell some one of her bad experience with the hose. As I said can you name a better hose?

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”