swavo1
Newly Registered

Garden equipment

Can anybody give me a list of gardening equipment that requires mechanical engineering. Specifically for tilling or irrigating a garden. I need this for a project I'm working on.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Are you looking for equipment that would attach to the back of a tractor? You can get rotary tillers for tractors also, a flail (that is usually used to mow lawns) could be used to til the soil. Though, I would pitty the sole who had to sharpen the blades after using it. A hand Rotatiller would also require mechanical assistance.

swavo1
Newly Registered

I'm actually looking for products that would be used on a small scale garden, such as 1/2 an acre or so.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, a hand tiller would work there. Try emailing a local nursery or machinary company. Also, look up on the internet: the Institute of Ocean Sciences in Patricia Bay, Vancouver Island. You'll be able to find Kevin Doxey on there somewhere, he's the head gardener there and will give you lots of ideas.

Also, weed eaters are machinary used at that scale. And brush saws (basically, just a weed eater with what looks like a scroll saw blade on the end.) Deadly but, really useful when tactling blackberry bushes. Oh yeah, leaf blowers (I used to love it when we used those.) And there was a little gas powered edger that we used there and gas powered lawn mowers.

Ours had hydrostatic transmissions such that we did not have to stop the machine to change the speed. Really trick.

And we had this piece of machinary used for for tamping down the soil in areas that we reseeded lawn. Anyway, Kevin will be able to help you out.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Blower/vaccuums are awful popular nowadays...

I personally want to get engine free in my garden. I am trying to convince Mother that if we eliminate most of the lawn (better for the environment and easier to maintain; more fun too!), we could use a hand reel mower. She remains unconvinced and I have yet to eliminate the requisite amount of lawn, so a moot point still, but I relish the idea of a weekend NOT punctuated by tractor exhaust and the shrill whine of trimmers and blowers. With the right tools (and the right sized lawns) it's not so hard. We continue to create estate-sized lawns that need high maintenance despite the fact we no longer have the kind of incomes it takes to run an estate (Ignore this if you can hire a staff of gardeners...anyone still there?)

:lol:

Scott

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”