digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Re: 2024 What's the Weather like Where You Are?

My 30 minutes of exercise for the day ..

. was spent shoveling about 2" or 3" of snow from paths and sidewalk.

We had a nice rainstorm a few days ago that put down some snow at higher elevations. Then, it's been colder leading up to this little snow storm down here at home. It will drop below 20°f (7°C) by morning and then another snowy day may show up on Sunday. The nearest mountain snow monitor is above 70% of normal again. I sure hope it builds a little more, sustains the river flows through the dry season, and charges our aquifer.

Steve, fingers crossed

imafan26
Mod

It is 67 degrees at 7:36 p.m. Looks like it is getting cooler again. I wish this crazy weather would make up it's mind. It rained last night and it has been most cloudy, so I only lightly watered the yard.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

19° here this morning. TV claims high today will be 45° and high Wed will be 70°. About 1 pm I will plant 200 Pak Choi - Bok Choy seeds.
Last edited by Gary350 on Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

37°F and windy! It’s so bright out there with sun shining on all the snow that are still on the lawn and vegetations on the ground, north side roofs, cars that don’t see the sun due to low sun angles….

imafan26
Mod

It is 70 degrees now at 5 p.m. It is the coldest time of the year. The day temps are around 75 and the night around 61-64 degrees. Very windy 14-25 mph. Mostly clear with some isolated showers. Time to find my "winter" clothes. Long sleeved shirts, socks, and jackets. Sometimes it is colder indoors than outside.

imafan26
Mod

It is 63 degrees at 6:45 a.m. It has been overcast to partly cloudy with intermittent showers for the past few days. Rain should be picking up again starting tomorrow and getting breezier. The expected high is around 76 degrees. Good weather for cool season crops. Just too cold for me.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Above average temperature for a week. Severe storms & tornados forecast for Wed. I hope no 85° weather this year it will bolt the onions again like last year.
Attachments
101_8513.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Got to 28° here overnight, not as cold as the night before, which was 21° (much colder in surrounding areas) - coldest night in February, but today the forecast high is 58°, which is about 12° above average of 46°, which is about where we got to yesterday. The warmth from the west is heading this way, with one day forecast at 68°!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

We had some 50°f (10°C) afternoons. Every bit of snow melted in my yard.

Right now, I think that this would be classified as grauple that's falling. The warmer weather absolutely blew away. We had wind gusts above 50mph, last night (80km/h). It's still windy through the noon hour but the sun was out this morning with freezing temperatures.

Steve, a 72" object now has a 107" shadow at high noon :).

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Our weather is 20° warmer than it should be. We already had 2 weeks of 65° to 74° temperatures and another week of this is in for forecast. I feel like I should be planting something but run the risk of frost & freeze it is 7 more weeks until last frost April 20. I need to get the lawn mower out and cut grass. I pulled up all the Napa seed tops were 2 ft tall.
Attachments
101_8544.JPG

imafan26
Mod

It's 74 degrees now. Wind is 7 mph so it actually feels warmer. Night temperature is still about 63 degrees. I did not water today. It did not rain. It has been so overcast that the soil is just staying wet. Only a few things actually need to be watered. The forecast for rain is 40%-70% chances, but I am not holding my breath. Most of the rain is hovering around the Big Island and so only brief light showers are possible until the system makes its way to the other islands. If it doesn't rain tonight. I will have to water tomorrow. I should have watered today, but I went shopping at the Farmer's market instead.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

A really nice day Sunday, getting to 67°, and sun all day, and another nice day here today, with more sun than was expected, but the clouds came in late in the afternoon, and the temp dropped quickly, from 67° to 58°. It's still not supposed to get much below what our high is supposed to be, at this time, in the mid 40s. More rain soon, and no more sun until maybe Friday. Rainfall totals this week 2-4 inches, most down towards the shore. It's like April showers now! :lol:

imafan26
Mod

It is 70 degrees at 9:30 p.m. A slight wind 7 mph. It feels cooler. It is supposed to go down to the mid 60's again tonight. The forecast for the week has been for 60% chance of scattered showers. ( less than a tenth of an inch)/ It is probably raining somewhere, but not here. I will probably decide to rain when I start watering the yard again. Humidity is 66%. I haven't watered my front yard in a while. I think it needs a drink.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It was 17°f (-8⁰C) this morning ... yesterday AM, it was 20⁰f (-7⁰C). In between the hours of darkness, we had a pleasantly sunny afternoon with 41f (5C).

I see that the record high over the last 140 years is 61f (16C), from back in those early years. It is just too early in the year with too many hours of darkness for the weather to be very warm. Now, that dang daylight time will start while we still have more darkness than light.

Steve, in sunshine this morning after dense fog

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Raining again...I would say still, but it did stop for a few hours! :lol: Solid rain in the radar, until 3 or 4 am, and it might stop for the rest of tomorrow, then actually some sunshine in the forecast for Friday, and close to 60°, then back to rain for Saturday! I wish I could send this to those not getting rain, or save it for when I won't be getting flooded! Always the way - too much, or too little.

applestar
Mod

Yeah, I was hoping to get a few things done outside this morning, but I was delayed, and it was raining steadily by the time I got free….

If I’d been able to prep and haul everything in the patio hoophouse earlier, I might have been able to work in there, but I took the time to start some soup cooking instead, and now, it just looks too miserable to get wet at all, and I’m not up to it….. I might melt.
Attachments
…The reason I was held up — our frail princess demanded lap time after breakfast …
…The reason I was held up — our frail princess demanded lap time after breakfast …

imafan26
Mod

It is 66 degrees at 8:30 p.m. It's was raining when I went to harvest from the garden and off and on all day. It has been raining steadily since 5 p.m. and now there is even thunder and lightening. The forecast says 100% chance of percipitation. Don't you love it when when it says that and it is storming outside.
The front yard needed a good drink, however, this may not be good for some of the plants. The weeds are going to make a bigger comeback.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Dark, cloudy and rainy outside. No thunder or lightening. Have the front door on the greenhouse open because air is heavy and humid out there and needs air circulation.
Mouse killed and chewed up my sunflower and millet seedlings and didn't get in the trap. I'll be setting up more traps. The beast must die. :evil: Its probably looking for the rest of its family that I got rid of.
Anyway, I have a lot of tomato seed in offering in the seed swap forum if anybody's interested.

imafan26
Mod

It is 67 and overcast winds 15 mph. Some light showers coming in on the trades. As usual it seems to start to rain when I decide to go out in the yard.

imafan26
Mod

It is a little warmer 70 degrees at 11 a.m. It is nice and sunny. winds 7 mph from the North. Tonight's low is expected around 59 degrees. This is actually warm for this time of the year. I don't know if it is the weather or the time of the year, but both my cats are being more clingy than usual and demanding more lap time. The real difference between cats and dogs are how clingy they are. Dogs are pack animals and for the most part don't like to be alone. Big dogs need to be trained early on, that they are not lap dogs. Cats demand that you stick to their schedule but usually only demand 15 minutes of attention a day. The thing is they get to pick which 15 minutes they want.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

After a month of 70°+ temperatures this morning it was 22°.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

We have your 70°f weather now, Gary.

Or, close to it ... around 70 on both sides of the ID/WA border yesterday and today. Record highs were tied yesterday and broken today.

Taking advantage of the pleasant days, the temporary hoop house is up and secured :). Good to have it up by Winter's end. Snow in the forecast for Saturday night but it sure doesn't look like any threat to the plastic film and pvc hoops. I've learned in the past that the 9' by 20' structure isn't tough enough for much of a snow storm. But, you know, the weather really looks like an early Spring.

Steve

applestar
Mod

Over here, the temps have gone back down to what’s normal for this time of the year, and I’ll be scrambling to close up the hoophouse and put the container figs back inside the garage before the subfreezing mornings arrive….

imafan26
Mod

It is 72 degrees at 7:30 p.m. and it is raining. It was a nice sunny day but got overcast about 6 p.m. and now I am in an isolated shower. It is a typical weather pattern for this time of year. Most of my rain comes overnight. It is actually much drier than normal for this time of the year. Usually, at this time of the year it rains everyday.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Already had over an inch of rain by 9 am, and it's supposed to rain until 3 pm, and already getting heavier, with some thunder, around 11:00, and it got very windy. 2-3" of rain forecast - for some areas, more.

Update - It rained just over 4" here - it was raining at 5:30 am, when I woke up briefly, and finally stopped shortly after 3 pm. I put my straight sided bucket out in the open, in my garden, and it caught about 4 1/8" - almost everywhere around was over 3", at least, with many higher. Very windy again, and same tomorrow, but cooler - only 51°, while today was 57°, which is a little above avg. Tonight and tomorrow night are the last two around freezing, and each day getting a little warmer. Not as many rainy days as they were originally predicting, but then, I don't worry about these things until I'm planting the tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers out there, and I haven't even planted the seeds yet! Almost time, however...

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

After all that rain yesterday, there were hardly any clouds in the sky today, though it took quite a while for the wind to die down. It was still colder than average - barely got to 50° - and I waited until about 3:30 pm to go out for very long. Another below freezing night forecast, and still below average tomorrow, but then slowly going up, later in the week...along with more rain.

imafan26
Mod

It is 70 degrees and there were a few brief sprinkles earlier. It is very windy now at around 12 mph.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The weekend rain/snow really didn't amount to anything in this neighborhood. Apparently, it did on the Westside of the Columbia Basin, in apple country. The snow fell in the mountains along the US/Canadian border and then on into Montana. We will benefit locally but the rain and snow sprinkles here hardly wet any horizontal surface.

The snow happened again today after clear skies, a full moon and a morning low of 27⁰f (-3⁰C). Just a couple of hours of the gentlest of snowfalls. The WS reports about 70% of seasonal normals for snowfall at higher elevations.

It's 43⁰f (6⁰C) and a sunny 4PM – a pleasant March afternoon.

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Too hot too soon onions will bolt like last year. Our last frost is usually April 20, I think we have already had last frost. We had the same crazy weather last year -2° killed garlic, 85° killed onions.
Attachments
101_8625.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Gary, Your highs are what my highs and lows are. I have lows around 67 and highs around 78-80.

Right now it is 77 degrees and it probably won't get much hotter. Low is 67. Trades at 14 mph with the usual windward and mauka showers. I may get a few sprinkles. The forecast is for increasing showers until at least Saturday.

imafan26
Mod

It is 68 degrees and it has been raining most of the night. It is overcast but there are patches of blue sky as well. Humidity is 88 % winds E 5 mph. More rain on the way.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

We had rain today, probably only an inch or so, but on and off all day, with still a little more later, before it stops sometime after 9 pm. Tomorrow is supposed to be clear, but very windy, and still a little cooler than average. The weekend is supposed to be better, with wind dying back, and temperatures getting to around 60°. Of course, more rain forecast for next week, since it's April! :lol: A soaking rain forecast for Tuesday, and more some other days. But still no more freezing lows yet, which is good.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

58°f this morning. There are so many birds chirping it's amazing how loud it sounds. Robins are building a nest on the side of our house same as last year. I bet its the same 2 birds that had 3 broods of babies last summer. Forecast today 81°f. It's a good day for a picnic lunch at Fall Creek Falls State Park.
Attachments
22180011_287114691787814_791123003890057585_o.jpg

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Yesterday was a nice day, with a little less wind than on Friday, and got to 60°, and fortunately, the rain held off until I was done outside! Today is supposed to be even better, maybe getting to 65°. But then we have 4 more days of rain forecast, and below average (57° at this time) temps every day.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Our March was a mild one. We fell short of the average .98 of an inch of precipitation with about 3/4 of that. Quite a bit more than average in February but it was also a mild month so there is not much held in mountain snow.

Freezing most every morning, even those days with afternoon rain showers. The clouds are gone right now and it looks to be a very sunny Spring day ... and start to the week.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

It is 77 degrees at noon. It is overcast, but it has been a windy but mostly dry day. Last night the wind wash howling. it is 17-32 mph and a wind advisory is up. A few pots got knocked over. 20% chance of rain. That usually comes later at night. It rained while I was at my orchid club meeting last night. I have another orchid club meeting tonight so I am keeping my umbrella handy. I did water the garden today, the rain has been light and the wind dries out the smaller pots.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Here it didn't even reach 50° today (58° avg), and more rain than yesterday - about 2½" total. And another day of rain tomorrow - over 1¼" forecast.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It has been raining heavily, on and off all day today, with wicked wind, and around 3:30, while I was in the kitchen making some bread dough, there was a very loud thunder clap, followed by a very long rumble, that didn't want to stop! It didn't hang around here for long, probably that line they predicted coming through here (they had it must worse down south, where it came from), with the narrow line of red in the radar. Not supposed to clear out until after 8 pm sometime, with mostly green, and some yellow, but looks like the worst is through now. Still, more rain, on and off tomorrow predicted. Will probably have over 4" total this week.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I was outside enjoying the nice weather and I keep hearing, boom, boom, boom, 3 seconds apart off in the distance. I went into the house turned on the TV storm is 15 miles away. TV said, the storms are very electrical. I went outside to listen, boom, boom, boom, is closer and louder and still 3 seconds between booms. I decided to put a chair on the front porch so I get a good view to take video. By then storms are very close TV said 3 miles away. I started seeing lightning flashes & boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, every 3 seconds, WOW. Rain and wind was blowing so much video looks like blowing water white out & wind so loud it sounds like a water fall. Video is very disappointing I wanted a, flash boom, flash boom, flash boom, flash boom, flash boom, video. Storm is over garden is very wet. My remote house thermometer stopped working, TV says 54° now, it was about 70° before the storm. There was a lot of sleet = ice in that rain.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Winter has returned, 6 tomato plants are covered. We had 2 days of cold and 1 more tomorrow, very dark over cast sky, rain & mud in the forecast until Thursday. It might be impossible to see the eclipse 2 pm Monday.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”