imafan26
Mod

Re: 2024 What's the Weather like Where You Are?

It's noon and it is 70 degrees with winds at 16 mph. The high is supposed to be 77, but I doubt it will get that high here today. It has been raining day and night for 4 days and it does not look like it is stopping soon. It is overcast. This is actually a good rain it is slow and steady, the kind we need to soak into the soil and refill the aquifer. It just means that my outdoor activities are limited, so I am cooking and cleaning instead. Not as much fun. I only have to water the orchids and succulents that are under cover.

Water has been an issue in the mainland with well running dry and whole cities running out of water. We are surrounded by the Ocean and all of our water is in the lens under the island and in dikes in the mountains formed by the past volcanic activity. The water I am drinking today fell from the sky approximantely 25 years ago. A desalination plant was built for demonstration years ago but was shut down.

imafan26
Mod

It is 8:30 a.m. and it is 71 degrees. The rain finally stopped yesterday afternoon. I can see the sky again, sort of. There are high clouds. 20% of rain today. It will get wetter again as more bands of showers are expected over the next few days. I have to enjoy the sunshine while I can. The eclipse is coming today. Some of you will get a good view of it.

applestar
Mod

Wouldn’t it be interesting if corollary to “planting by lunar calendar” theory — re: tidal effects of the full moon — would mean that our seedlings and plants all jumped in upward growths today due to the Solar-Lunar-Earthly conjunction?

imafan26
Mod

Its 62 degrees now (predicted low was 64), winds are calm. There are some clouds in the sky, but right now it is bright and sunny, but a bit chilly for me. 30% chance of rain today. There are isolated showers on the radar, but most of it is over the ocean.

I have planted with by the moon. It works anecdotally. Actually, I find the barren periods to be true. It is a bad time if you want to germinate seeds. I don't know the effects of the conjunction, because light was actually blocked for a few minutes. the NASA view was awesome showing the moon shadow on the earth. A POV you could only see from the other side of the moon. All I remember is that the waxing moon is for above ground, the waning moon for below ground and the barren periods are right around the full and new moon, Sundays, and the last quarter of the moon.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It got to 79° here today, warmest day since sometime last October. Rain starting in the morning, but the worst is coming Thursday, into Friday, and we might get an inch or so over the next 3 days. Staying around 70°, and higher than average lows, as well.

imafan26
Mod

It is 62 degrees now at 5 a.m. A couple of degrees lower than predicted. Usually, the lowest temp of the day is around 7 a.m. Forecast is for isolated showers 50% chance of rain. Winds are calm. Most of Hawaii is abnormally dry and this is the rainy season.

applestar
Mod

Yeah it got hot yesterday! I was scrambling around loosening the hoophouse covers, but still had to keep in mind that we might still get freezing weather in the next couple of weeks…. :roll:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I am thinking about the advantage gained for outdoor work from living in a semi-arid environment. The daily 2 - 4 hours that I am working on expanding the backyard garden seems to be staying on schedule.

Just dropping below the freezing mark every morning again after our brief period of rain. The Weather Service suggests that this will give way to some days above 70⁰f (21⁰C) , then a bit of a change with a little rain again. I will even use the word "suggests" in that snow level forecast suggests that it will be at 2000 ft elevation Tuesday AM, so we may see a mix that morning.

The only unpleasantness to outdoor work in recent afternoons were some hours with wind gusts above 40mph. A little difficulty keeping a hat on isn't too much of a distraction ;).

Steve

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It was well into the 70s again yesterday, and it got a little windy, but a good windy - cooled me enough, plus blew the perlite and other powder away, while I was potting something! Rain again today, but more tonight, so maybe I'll get something done outside today. It already rained a little

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We are still getting rain, 4 days of rain. Roads are under water in some places. We need a very large diameter umbrella to make all the rain go into the Mississippi river and the Colorado river.
Attachments
101_8744.JPG
100_6677.JPG

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It started raining here about 3.30, and I had just cleaned up, and put everything away around 3:00, so it was timed just right. It rained hard, but briefly, and even though the rain has been on and off, in almost 6 hours it has only totalled .02" on that gauge I just put back up. It's supposed to be cooler tomorrow - about back to average in low to mid 60s, but some heavy rain. Won't be doing much more outside then.

imafan26
Mod

I saw on the news the tornados and storms moving toward the NE. It looks like it is going to be wet for awhile.

Here it is 71 degrees at 6:45 a.m. It is raining. It was just a light rain a couple of hours ago, but it is getting heavier. There has been thunder and lightening but the brunt of the rain is falling on Kauai where they have flood warnings. It has been raining hard all night there. On Oahu we are catching just a small part of the storm. There is moderate and heavy rain blanketing the radar, but the brunt of the storm system will remain stationary over Kauai and some rain will be moving down the island chain over the weekend.

This is actually a normal winter storm for us, even though typically April is the start of our dry season. The storm is stationary and the temperature is warm because the moisture is being lifted up from the South and winds are light 6 mph, so the storm will hardly move. It will be a massive soaking, mudslide, and flooding event for Kauai. But at least we don't have to deal with snow or tornadoes.

imafan26
Mod

There was a break in the rain for a day. It is back again. Kauai is still getting the brunt of it, but now there is a flood watch for Oahu until Monday. So far, the rain has not been that bad, it is just that the ground is already soaked. The winds have been gusty. I guess I am not going to be watering the yard today. It is 73 degrees now, the predicted was 78, I don't think it will get that high.

Kauai already has several homes and roads that are flooded or blocked by mudslides and they are getting another day of heavy rain. They had a foot of rain fall the other day.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

We had near record warmth only 3-4 days ago. Two days of wind blew those high 70's away (20's centigrade). We are told that the thermometer made it to 50⁰f (10⁰C) yesterday. An earlier prediction of a slight chance of rain/snow had been dropped but then we had 30 seconds of snow. I'm not kidding :D. I was out the backdoor on my way to run an errand. Decided to wait to see what the snow situation would amount to. Walked back in and to the front window. The snowstorm had stopped.

At 4AM, it is well below freezing, no wind and a lovely moon setting in the west.

Cool season plants only in the greenhouse. I don't  think that I will have to turn the heat on but ... it remains to be seen.

Steve

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It wasn't a record heat Monday, but it got to 83°, with a brief rain around 3:30 pm, but not enough to wet the deck. It dried out quickly, and no more rain, through later today, with a gorgeous day yesterday, getting to 73° here. Today 67° is the forecast high - about average - and rain starting around noon, but not the flooding rains we've been having. More rain the next two days, but just scattered rains, and much cooler.

imafan26
Mod

It is 67 degrees at 9:30 p.m. It was a sunny day. The day temperature got up to about 78 degrees. It is definitely getting warmer. There are brief overnight showers which is usual for this time of the year. Despite the heavy rain Thursday and Friday, and the flooding on Kauai. Most of the state is unusually dry on the drought monitor. It was a warm winter and we had less than normal rainfall typical of El Nino.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Cooler this morning - 52° @7 am, and only up to 55° now, and only supposed to get to 57° later, so well below avg. A few lows in the 10 day showing 43°, but getting up to low to mid 60s - about avg, but none of those summer temps we got a few of. More rain from out west tomorrow, but then no more until mid week, but I won't believe that until it happens! :lol:

imafan26
Mod

It is 67 at 7:30 a.m. It is a little breezy with 21 mph winds. There are some scattered showers on the radar, but so far most of that is in town. I may get a few sprinkles here and there.

Your weather fluctuations are so wide with below freezing to in the 80's in just a few days. Another storm of tornadoes is sweeping through the mainland today.

I have only hit 80 degrees maybe once so far, but it is getting close. It does mean than my cool season crops will be good for a little longer.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Today was a near perfect day, sunny and 69° - the only thing I would have changed would have been that strong wind, which got even stronger when I when out later. Tomorrow is going to be much cooler, but much less wind, supposedly.

It did rain again, before I got up - .18", so I would have lost that, too, for the perfect day, since my soil didn't need any more moisture!

applestar
Mod

Officially 37°F this morning, 34.4 according to my garden thermometer, and 38.8°F in the Patio Hoophouse where some of my tomato seedlings are :shock:

Not as concerned that the Sunflower Hoophouse is registering 37.0°F since those are mostly the overwintered crops and nothing new has been planted in it yet….

I did loosely cover the tomatoes with floating cover, but the remote sensor is in there with them, so still cold for the seedlings and they be turning purple.

Colder mornings are forecast for Tues and Thursday at 37°F = 33~34°F? I’ll need to completely close it up (I’d left a couple of vent windows open) and think of a way to warm up the Patio Hoophouse better.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It was 37° here this morning with no frost, it is suppose to be 34° tomorrow morning. I will cover 6 tomato plants with empty 5 gallon buckets but that is all I will cover.

imafan26
Mod

It's 67 degrees now at 7 a.m. I got up early at 4:30 a.m. I got a few things done while I was up. I started collecting the trash that needs to go out today, got out to the gas station to fill up, ( I didn't stop at McDonald's amazing), I made myself some breakfast ( bacon and eggs), my cats were confused and were following me around like dogs because their routines were mixed up, but I fed them anyway. I cleaned out my junk file on the computer, and I made an appointment with spectrum to pay my bill today.

It is a nice clear day (40% chance of rain somewhere, doesn't look like it will be here.) Hopefully, I won't run out of energy and I will get some yard work in sometime today.

applestar
Mod

Gonna be scrambling today — FREEZE WATCH for tomorrow morning, possibly as low as 31°F has been forecast.

I’m going to have to heat the Patio Hoophouse with all the tomato seedlings in it somehow. Corn (and peas? cabbage seedlings?) may need to be covered …. Container figs with baby fig buds, etc. etc.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The full moon is mostly hidden behind clouds. I had thought that I might be able to report that the day before and yesterday would be the first clear-sky mornings with no frost. It was not to be. Officially, yes but not here at home.

This morning, yes – no frost but there is a blanket of clouds. The greenhouse, with no heat turned on, is 54⁰f (12⁰C) at 5:30AM.

No complaints about a cold Spring – we haven't even had much of our typical "bouncy" weather. Well, that is if one expects the usual significant difference between afternoon highs and morning lows in this semi-arid environment at this elevation.

The temporary hoop house is completely filled with cool-season plants in their beds. No heat and no real danger to them this month. I hope everything comes through okay for you this morning, AppleStar.

Steve

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Today was only up to 60° here, and tonight they have switched my area into a freeze warning, instead of the freeze watch last night. Still nothing I have to worry about out there - not until May. And the next few days it will be getting warmer faster, up to maybe 86° Tuesday! As always, crazy weather.

imafan26
Mod

It is 70 degrees at 7 p.m. It rained again last night and off and on today. It is still overcast. There was a fine drizzle this morning that looked hazy. The night temperatures remain around 67-68 degrees and the day temperature has been less than 80. May is only a few days away. It won't be long when the daily temps will be in the 80's again. There were 12 hours and 51 minutes of daylight today. The sun is getting up earlier or am I just getting up later?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Thursday night it got down to 34° on my back thermometer, and last night it got down to 36°; one more below average day, around 62°, then it starts getting into the 80s, and staying in the 50s or 60s for the lows. Tomatoes will be hardening off soon!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:11 am
... There were 12 hours and 51 minutes of daylight today. The sun is getting up earlier or am I just getting up later?
Earlier and earlier, Imafan26. By this time next month, the sun will rise here before 5AM and we will still have several weeks before the earliest sunrise.

Today, we would have had 14 hours and 22 minutes of sunshine at this latitude; that is, if it hadn't been so cloudy. Not much of a change in weather the last several days. Except for some much needed rain, that we should all be hoping for, there won't be much going on that's expected by the WS for the week. Immediately after that rainy day tomorrow, we will likely have frosts on one or 2 mornings. And, I'll be watching to see if there's any snow in the mix :wink: . Snow at higher elevations, we are told. That should be good news with the deficit we have coming into Spring.

Steve

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”