Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Garden Row Spacing.

For years I did 32" row spacing because my family did that. Then I learned to do surface beds, combine 3 to 7 rows into a 32" bed, this can eliminate several walkways between rows. I can also eliminate 1 walkway row between two 32" rows to gain 1 extra row. I have also been considering reducing 32" walkway to 24" or 18" to gain an extra grow area. The hardest thing to over come is, tall plants shade other plants no matter how tall the other plants are. I am getting to old to crawl 7 set down in narrow 18" walkways. If you want to get more from a small garden make walkways narrower and make multi row beds. I like to set down in the walkways and crawl on my hands and knees. It is hard to use a tiller in a walkway 28" or narrower unless you have a mini tiller. My walkways never need tilling soil gets compacted hard as cement from walking on it and nothing grows there. I have already eliminated 3 walkways this year. 5 years ago I eliminated 6 walkways by planting 7 rows of onions & garlic in 1 bed. I eliminated 2 walkways by planting 3 potato rows in 1 bed. What would have been 31 rows is now 18 rows & beds.

Here is a video that show a lady with very narrow walkways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtyaC9nTfbg

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”