Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Birds..........Nest Box Live

I know there is a BIRD thread somewhere, I give up looking for it? Maybe this thread can be moved to the other thread.

Lots of good videos of many different birds building nest, laying eggs, feeding babies. It is interesting to see inside of the nest boxes are, rectangle shape, not a square. There are several videos of blue birds some lay 5 eggs and others lay 3 eggs. Owls are cute.

https://www.facebook.com/NestBoxLive
Attachments
100_6819.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Feb 13 at 8am & 27°f. Blue birds are checking out 4 bird nesting boxes that are in full sun. At 8:30 am 2 more nesting boxes are in full sun. Audubon society is correct Blue Birds get an early start and have eggs in the nest by March 1st. I should have put birds houses up early morning so I could have made sure all 10 Blue Bird nesting boxes are in full sun. Blue birds like nesting boxes better than bird houses. Black color nesting boxes warm up quick in full sun. I had no black plant and 1 quart of paint now costs $30. Dark blue paint is the best I can do I already have it. 2 blue birds are going in/out of the house on the tree over and over it was in full sun already. 2 other birds are setting in top of another house that was in full sun first like this is our house. LOL. There are 3 groups of blue birds checking out most of the houses. Audubon society says, warm bird houses mother bird lays eggs 5 days sooner, warm bird houses egg hatch 5 to 7 days sooner, warm bird houses baby birds grow faster and leave the nest 10 to 12 days sooner. Our last frost is April 20.

Wrens nesting box is same as Blue Bird nesting box the only difference is, Wren houses are painted white to keep houses cooler with air vents in the floor, Wrens do not arrive in TN until May 20 temperatures are in the 90°s.
Attachments
100_7064.JPG
100_7065.JPG
100_7066.JPG
100_7067.JPG
100_7068.JPG
100_7070.JPG
N-C-BlueBirdNestBox.JPG

PaulF
Greener Thumb

We have bluebird and wren houses and love watching both. Our wrens are really noisy all summer long. I always thought both had to have small entry holes to keep sparrows from taking over the houses.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

PaulF wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:31 am
We have bluebird and wren houses and love watching both. Our wrens are really noisy all summer long. I always thought both had to have small entry holes to keep sparrows from taking over the houses.
Nesting boxes are deep inside I think that keeps the larger birds out. A deep box keeps baby birds prisoner until they grow wing feathers large enough to fly other wise babies get eaten by cats & other animals. The wide door opening makes it much easier for birds to build a nest. Audubon society also says, no perch. I already learned no perch the hard way, birds will not nest in houses with perches. Maybe no perch makes it harder for larger birds to attach the nest.

We had no Wrens last 2 years, we were glad they are very noisy.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We have been watching a Robin family raise there babies for 2 months. They built a nest on top of our security light on the patio. Every evening we get to watch the hatchings grow larger. Eggs in a nest are a clutch of eggs. The new family is a brood. When 3 eggs hatch there are 3 hatchlings in the nest. In 14 days hatchlings are kicked out of the nest then they are called 3 Fledglings. Father tends the Fledglings while mother prepares nest to lay more eggs. The 2nd brood was 3 eggs too.

May 3 the nest had 3 hatchlings. May 4 nest was empty.
June 3 nest had 3 hatchlings. May 4 nest was empty.

So for no more activity at the nest. But wait and see last time there was no activity at the nest for a week then mother bird was setting on eggs.

If I try to go to Audubun they want my credit card number. If I ask specific Google search bird question I get free answers at Audubun.

I did Google search it says, Scammers copy web pages then claim to be someone they are not. After you pay the fee they send you to the location you want. Most people never know they were scammed.
Attachments
100_7778.JPG
100_7777.JPG
100_7779 - Copy.JPG
100_7780 - Copy.JPG
100_0012.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I had something bad happen about a week ago with the robbins. I went out on my back deck, and heard them chirping intently (unusual for them). Turns out, one of their young ones was injured - somehow looked like a leg was broken. Have no idea how this happened - I don't ever see any cats, or similar animals, and the bird was almost the size of the parents, so it didn't just fall. I had to euthanize it, as it wasn't going to recover. :(

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Blue birds have there 2nd brood of hatchlings this season. Both parents are very busy coming & going collecting food for babies. Male bird is very bright color blue when sun is at the correct angle. Female bird looks brown until sun is at a different angle.
Attachments
100_7785.JPG
100_7790.JPG

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”