applestar
Mod

Re: 2023 What's the Weather like Where You Are?

I’m thinking difference is duration the temperature persists.

For example — according to current forecast, we are expecting 24°F for two hours near dawn, but it will be 25°F for two hours before that, and 26°F before and after.

How does your forecast look?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Channel 4 says it is 21° then a few minutes later its 24° then its 21° and then its 24° again.

Channel 2 says its 20° and 16 mph wind makes it feel like 13°

My new digital remote thermometer outside says its 25° about 3' from the front door.

My very accurate thermometer that I keep in the garden 100' from the house says 21°

Neighbor house roof is white as snow but no frost on anyone's grass.

I trust the thermometer in the garden it is far enough from everything its not picking up heat from our house and anyone else house.

I can see a full moon very low in the west sky. Moon is white it must have snowed there. LOL.

National news is now says it is 16° here. They never get it right.
Attachments
101_8199.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Only got down to 26° here, sometime last night, which is the coldest so far this season. Still only up to 30° at 10 am, with bright sun. Very windy today, and staying in the 30s, so I won't be doing anything outside.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It has begun to snow. Look at the worst case forecast scenario for those passes in the Cascades.
Screenshot_20231130_054603_Chrome.jpg
Steve

imafan26
Mod

It is 67 degrees at 9:49 a.m. The Kona low is still hovering over the islands. There was some flooding on the Big Island, Kauai, and Maui yesterday. The rain has shifted back toward's Oahu and Molokai which will get most of the rain with some heavy rain that is probably going to impact the west side of Molokai. There is still a flood watch for today. The weather should improve after Saturday. In the meantime, I ran most of my errands yesterday, so I don't need to go out. If the rain stops, I may get some plants from the yard to pot up again. I have not had the lanai flood thanks to the new gutter, but I do have some soil being washed out onto the sidewalk I will have to sweep back in later, so it is not a big deal. Some plants got knocked over and one of my citrus pots flooded the other day, so I moved it away from the roof dripline. Hana had 20 inches of rain which almost topped the Hana bridge, Big Island also got about a foot with one home 23 feet above sea level got their screen door blown in and a couple of inches of water in their house. Boulders fell from the hillside in Aina Haina but no one was hurt. Most people who can are staying off the roads. As long as the rain remains intermittent, the water will be able to recede and drain away.

imafan26
Mod

It is 66 degrees and the Kona Low has finally drifted off, so I have a couple of days to sunshine. Now, I get to clean up and the grass has greened up so it needs mowing again. There are a few showers in the forecast but mostly the usual weather for this time of the year. Hurricane season is officially over (for the most part) The waters are too cold now to support a heat engine. It is still warmer than usual for this time of the year. The average high temperature is still around 80 degrees. The nights are cooler around 66-41 degrees. I never have to worry about freezing temperatures (although anything below 72 degrees is too cold for me.) At least the rain washed off a lot of the bugs.

BloomingBrilliant
Newly Registered

The temperature in Sydney is currently 21°C. It is mostly cloudy.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum!

Is this towards the end of spring, where you are, and you have most of your garden started?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum!

Is this towards the end of spring, where you are, in Sydney, and you have most of your garden started?

Here it is in the low 50s, for a high, which is about average. Yesterday it got to 60°, and I pretty much cleaned everything out of the garden, as it has been freezing some lately, and winter will be here soon. :(

I just got over an inch of rain again - something we have needed for a while.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The snow didn't last long. Our 5" of the white stuff is nearly gone.

I woke up to 48°f (9°C) and drizzling rain. This is after days of afternoon temperatures not topping the freezing mark. The melting was well on its way yesterday but footprints were still frozen on the sidewalk.

It's all melting – from 1200' elevation to 7,000', we are told. Continuing Rainstorms. West of the Cascades, there may be river flooding.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

It is 72 degrees. 85% humidity and thickly overcast at 8:28 a.m. It feels cooler than that. Outside the road is wet and the rain is dripping from the roof. Most of the rain is coming in waves of Kona Lows. Another one is on the way and the last one is cutting off the trades. At least the rain really does some good when it comes this slow. It has a chance to deeply saturate the soil and refill the aquifer. This is not going to be enough rain, so later today, I will have to see if I still have to water. Only the orchids and succulents in the open won't need to be watered. I may have to get some tarps to cover the orchid benches so they don't get too much water.

applestar
Mod

2D86C6E3-C56E-46B4-AA68-7EE7F61AA457.jpeg
DAWN at 7am — Light flurries expected for a couple of hours this morning.

Currently 30°F

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It got here about 8 am, and nothing heavy - first snow of the season. 39° at 10:45, and still flurries, with nothing building up anywhere. Supposed to turn to rain eventually.

imafan26
Mod

At 8:15 a.m. it is bright and sunny. A little chilly at 68 degrees with 82% humidity. It is a nice break from the rain and gray skies. I'll take it while it lasts. The forecast is for scattered showers and partly sunny skies through the weekend. The high will be around 78-80 degrees for most of the time.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

6 dead from tornados. 1st tornado about 4 pm touched down at Clarksville TN it was 1/4 mile wide and stayed on the ground for 50 miles and killed 3 people. 2nd tornado started at Dover TN was 1/4 mile wide on the ground for 120 miles 3 people in Nashville were killed. 3rd and 4th tornado was 3 miles south of our house they never touched down still lots of damage. We had no electricity for a while and no internet for about 26 hours. TV said, several 100,000. people have no electricity and about 200,000. lost there home. With no internet nothing works, cash register at Walmart, grocery store, gas station, can not read your credit card or debit card with no internet. You can not buy anything anywhere everything needs the internet to work. We were not allowed to pay cash the cast registers do not work. We returned to the store later in the day and was able to buy what we needed. TV sports is so important on Sunday 1 of 3 TV News channels said anything about TN tornadoes today. Tomorrow TN tornadoes will be on National TV and local TV too. We have antenna TV so we had free TV all day every day. 99% of the population lost cable TV they never saw Tornado warnings yesterday evening when storms started.

TV interviewed a man that said, he was in his living room when all of a sudden there was a very loud crash tornado blew his entire house totally away it left him laying on the ground outside and he never got hurt.

TV helicopter view houses were turned into lumber, boards were scattered every where, it is not possible to see houses were every houses. It is amazing more people were not killed.

National weather service rated the tornadoes EF3 with 125 mph wind.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I was hoping you were spared the worst of that, Gary, though I knew it was in your area. Take care, and I hope things clear up in your area quickly.

It's been raining much of the day, and after a brief lull, it has started raining harder - the radar in the area is in the yellows and oranges - looks like the reds are going east of me, but it is supposed to get worse later. It wasn't windy at all earlier, but that's coming later, too. Hope nobody here was in any of those bad areas, where this storm is coming from.

applestar
Mod

I was concerned as well @Gary350. Disastrous (weather) events like this is awful at any time of the year, but especially ahead of the holidays…. :(

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

This morning it is 26° all the TV News channels have live coverage of the tornado area. It is amazing there are 1000s of vehicles parked in driveways and parking lots with no damage then 100 ft away other vehicles are beat to death so bad its not possible to see what type vehicle it is. NES = power company has about 1200 work crews from TN and other states here working to restoring electricity. Many of the power sub station transformers short circuited and exploded. The larger power substations are twisted metal. Power lines down every where NES says, keep away if you step on a live wire it will kill you. It is amazing how the USA is 100% dependent on electricity and the internet, Russia & China are probably taking notes. 1000s of churches are taking people in to give them a place to live they could be homeless for several months. Salvation army will take in people to sleep 9 pm to 7am then you have to leave. TN Governor will be on TV later today. The worse damage areas look like a war zone, TV now says the tornado was EF2 in some places and EF3 in other location. The 120 mile long tornado path was touch and go in 3 locations. TV showed a church that fell in on about 200 people and no one was hurt.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:23 pm
... 99% of the population lost cable TV they never saw Tornado warnings yesterday evening when storms started...
The Birmingham news story today says that 2 tornadoes touched down in that most populated Alabama county with no tornado warning having been issued.

The WS said that severe thunderstorms can sometimes generate tornadoes in only a few moments.

It would be good to be prepared in as many ways possible. I wonder about urban areas being hit but, as a percentage of the countryside, it's the suburban, small town, and rural areas that usually experience disastrous situations. Gary, here is Wishing you the Best of Luck in having your neighborhood return to normal.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

I saw the news this morning. It must have been scary to have the storms come so close and to see how some places were totally devastated while everything looked mostly intact next to it. Especially, since it came in the dark of night and in some cases without very little warning.

You bring up a good point about preparedness. I know what it is like not to have power, traffic lights don't work, ice becomes gold, and gas stations can't pump gas, water can't get up past the fourth floor of a building without pumps and sewage backs up because they need pumps too.

We are so dependent on a digital society. You can't even buy anything with out a computer running the system. It shows how vulnerable everyone is, because just about everything runs on power and a computer chip.

Even more so, you need to think about things to be prepared for in case of an emergency and what backups you have that don't require power or a chip.

I am glad Gary and his family were safe and hope it stays that way.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It is 24°f this morning I hope everyone has a warm cozy place to sleep. TV showed 8 dump trucks in a row with 2 construction company loaders scooping up trash lumber in the streets so vehicles can get though. Many of peoples vehicles look like they are still drivable. With several tornado paths, 45, 70, 120 miles long that will be a lot of dump trucks. Wow that will be a lot of trash in the land fill. Lots of lumber being burned in large piles. Yesterday TV Channel 4 was the only TV station live all day at the destruction. I need a new key board it's hard to type with all the letters worn off. Maybe I can draw letters on the keys with a white marker.

applestar
Mod

You can buy keyboard letters and symbols stickers — maybe office supply store would be best locally (call ahead maybe? I hate wasting my time not finding what I want). Amazon or maybe etsy online.

Use forceps to position them for best results.

applestar
Mod

From Dec. 20- 26, much of the U.S. is set to experience above-average temperatures, according to NOAA
Attachments
57ECFAC6-615D-45E4-8111-CB7914084B6B.jpeg

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Up there in the 50-60% probability of above normal, one of the local TV anchors expressed the concern that we may not have a White Christmas.

The weather guy shrugged and then tried to look interested in her complaint. The 7 day forecast looks like if we have snow, it will be above the elevations of nearly all of our nearby communities. And later, we may have rain. Early morning icy roads may be a problem next week but even the i90 passes to east & west, should see above freezing afternoon temperatures.

That's Short Term. By the week after next (& Christmas Day) – I suppose that it's anyone's guess and likely to be "normal" which means snow, freezing and difficult travel.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

It id 67 degrees at 7 p.m. It was a cool day. It started out sunny and cool and became more overcast and windy, but not that much rain. Unlike yesterday, when it rained all day. The high to day was only about 71 and tonight it will get down into the mid to low 60's. While there is no snow in sight. We will be getting more wind and rain somewhere.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

27° this morning warming up to 62° & rain tomorrow. TV News shows tornado victims wake up in there yard every morning, that is so sad. They have a lot of blankets & tarps. FEMA claims they can't do anything for 3 months. TV says our temperatures are 10° warmer than average. 60° causes lots of mold & mildew and allergies. I have no clue what garden is doing nothing grows below 50° plants wait for warmer temperatures to grow. I have not looked at the garden in a week.

applestar
Mod

What does that mean exactly? If you go to FEMA website, they have a page set up for the Tennessee disaster … not sure if I can post the sub links but if you follow the main link, you’ll find them there —

(a quick copy-paste)

4751 | FEMA.gov
https://www.fema.gov/disaster/4751

Tennessee Severe Storms and Tornadoes

DR-4751-TN
Tennessee
Incident Period: Dec 9, 2023
Declaration Date: Dec 13, 2023
Quick Links

Recovery resources: State & Local |National
Connect: Social Media | Mobile App & Text
24/7 counseling: Disaster Distress Helpline
world globe
English Español
On This Page

Help for Individuals & Families
Local Resources
How to Help
Funding Obligations
More About This Disaster

Designated Areas
Individual Assistance | Public Assistance | How a Disaster Gets Declared
News & Media
Events | Press Releases & Fact Sheets | PDFs, Graphics & Multimedia
Reports & Notices
Disaster Federal Register Notices | Preliminary Damage Assessments

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:20 am
What does that mean exactly? If you go to FEMA website, they have a page set up for the Tennessee disaster … not sure if I can post the sub links but if you follow the main link, you’ll find them there —

(a quick copy-paste)

4751 | FEMA.gov
https://www.fema.gov/disaster/4751

Tennessee Severe Storms and Tornadoes

DR-4751-TN
Tennessee
Incident Period: Dec 9, 2023
Declaration Date: Dec 13, 2023
Quick Links

Recovery resources: State & Local |National
Connect: Social Media | Mobile App & Text
24/7 counseling: Disaster Distress Helpline
world globe
English Español
On This Page

Help for Individuals & Families
Local Resources
How to Help
Funding Obligations
More About This Disaster

Designated Areas
Individual Assistance | Public Assistance | How a Disaster Gets Declared
News & Media
Events | Press Releases & Fact Sheets | PDFs, Graphics & Multimedia
Reports & Notices
Disaster Federal Register Notices | Preliminary Damage Assessments
I wish I could video TV News and paste it here. TV was telling answers to questions and after lots of red tape, investigation, studies who needs housing first, etc, it takes about 3 months for anything to happen. Families with very small children come first. Single people are last. Low income is first, people with money don't get help. I think it was national weather service that finally finished there study and finally concluded there were 7 tornadoes. The 120 mile long tornado that touched down 3 times counts as 3 separate different tornadoes. There were 7 tornadoes. Same for other tornados. Its a bit combusting each TV station tells some of the same info and different info. People are being forced out of apartment building even if only 1 of 12 apartments has damage. I watch some of those on TV early morning but not watching it all day, wife has TV on all day but I only come inside the house 10 min for lunch, a few times for snacks, 10 for dinner, then bed. Go to Channel 2, 4, 5, Nashville TV stations you can probably learn more from reading about it. Nashville mayor only talks about Nashville and Davidson county like Nashville was the only place in TN that had a tornado.

Many churches are helping with clean up and recovery. If I was 30 years younger I would help. I know people that are helping. Some houses are scattered boards and other houses minor damage.
Attachments
Tornado.jpg

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I am surprised our over cast clouds shows up so well on this cheepy camera. So far it has warmed up to 59° wind gusts 15+ mph. Wind gusts are funny to watch they are like tiny tornados they hit the yard in random places then the dry dead leaves go every where in that 1 location. 50% rain today but no rain yet. I was watching a tiny spider trying to lower itself down to the ground but wind keeps blowing spider up on the tree limb again. Spider needs to sky dive much faster. I grabbed the web to lowered spider down quick then turned and walked away next thing I see the spider is on my arm. I gave spider a ride to the fence.
Attachments
OverCast.jpg

applestar
Mod

Why is the flag upside down?

…OK I take it back — age of internet and instant answers — but is it reasonable to be doing that after a devastating natural disaster when you and/or your neighbors are needing help from everyone around them who could/would?

Makes more sense if it was being flown (right way up) half-staff.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:26 pm
Why is the flag upside down?

…OK I take it back — age of internet and instant answers — but is it reasonable to be doing that after a devastating natural disaster when you and/or your neighbors are needing help from everyone around them who could/would?

Makes more sense if it was being flown (right way up) half-staff.
I didn't notice the flag being upside down. I did notice flag looked odd for some reason. Now that you mentioned it I see the flag is upside down. LOL. I don't know why flag is upside down. When I was in grade school everyone in the school got there turn putting up the flag. When it came my day to put up the flag I thought it would be funny to hang it upside down. No one thought it was funny I had to go fix it. LOL.

applestar
Mod

I might have mentioned this before somewhere ….

For me, the USA flag flying on a flagpole takes me back to 9-11. I was pregnant with my 2nd daughter, and my husband was out of country on a business trip.

He was scheduled to come home the next day, and would have flown into Newark, NJ, which is part of the NYC METRO air space/traffic.

The corner house where you turn into my street used to have a flagpole and the retired Navy? Marine? who used to live there had been meticulous about raising and lowering the flag every day. He began only raising it to half staff.

While I waited for the airports to re-open and hubby to come home, that flag at the corner symbolized to me the effort to recover from the shock of what happened, what we saw, and the waiting to have my family back together again.

I rarely write poetry, but the emotional strain was overwhelming and I wrote several poems … one about that flag and how it gallantly flew in show of strength and comfort.

After some thought, I made a special copy and gave it to the neighbor to thank him, and his wife later told me that he had treasured it.

applestar
Mod

It was supposed to be raining first thing in the morning, and forecasted to rain extensively today and tomorrow, but it WASN’T raining at dawn and I thought about going out and harvesting. But I got distracted when I saw the leftover bread dough from yesterday’s wrapped hot dogs, and noticed that two bananas were rapidly turning brown on the banana hanger.

I ‘be been cooking up some banana custard cream, which I’ve put in the fridge to hopefully firm up a bit. Planning to make banana custard-filled mini-rolls later … thinking the silicone Madeleine pan might work for this.

NOW, it’s almost ready to start raining for the rest of the day and tomorrow. Forecast is 2.75 inches.

Temps will be warm — only 40°F overnights, but not much growth can be expected when sun’s not shining and dreary dark…. Guess I’ll wait until Tuesday — it’s supposed to get down to 26°F by Wed morning.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

8 am weather started out very dark over cast with sprinkle rain. We did a 286 mile road trip to Chattanooga to meet up with, Yoko Ono & Keith and 2 relatives Larry & Joann at a nice restaurant at the top of Signal Mountain. Light rain and lots of fog all the way up signal mountain. Chattanooga is a nightmare to drive in it is built in the mountains roads zig zag up down left right in all directions. One trip buffet lunch was good. 2 pm fog cleared for about 1 hour. 3 pm time to return home before dark. 4 pm Driving up Mont Eagle mountain the road vanished in clouds traffic on I-24 slowed to 25 mph we could barely see the car in front of us. I can barely see where the road is. Very slow drive up to elevation 2000 ft I had to slow down to 10 mph to not miss the turn off to road side restroom. Good thing we knew restroom is there. Down the mountain and 55 minute drive home. Wife called to order a pizza we stopped to pick it up then continue on home. It was fun.
Last edited by Gary350 on Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

imafan26
Mod

It is 66 degrees at 6:20 a.m. and it has been raining most of the night. The forecast is for scattered showers and winds 11-24 mph. For this time of the year this is still warmer than usual. Stay safe and warm.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It looks like it was over 3" of rain here, though I didn't go out there to measure, since it's still coming down lightly. It got up to 63° here overnight, but started coming down by 8 am - 58° - and 55° by noon.

When it finally stopped, and I went out to measure the rain in the straight sided bucket, and it looks like I got over 3½" this time.

applestar
Mod

We had a little flurries this morning but not too cold … BUT Whoa! — looking at 23°F forecast for Friday morning which may mean dip into upper teens in my garden.

I want to let things dry out a bit and then fertilize/mulch etc. take care of the garlic rows to put them to winter bed before then, as well as add extra protection for everybody inside the Sunflower Hoophouse.
Attachments
2EED19C4-0330-42D1-AE4C-E8D7EBABD34B.jpeg

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

22° here.

imafan26
Mod

It is 70 degrees at 10:20 a.m. It has been raining through the night and continues today. I am doing some end of the year chores. Cleaning out my pantry and redoing my inventory. I have a lot of expired stuff dating back to 2017 but most go back to 2020 which is probably the last time I did this.

it looks like it is going to be wet until Christmas. We need the rain and a slow rain is better than a deluge any day. I don't have to water the garden today. However, I wish it would stop long enough for me to be able to check out what is in the garden besides the weeds.

When Lahaina burned, FEMA was already running out of funding. There were several disasters after that as well between tornadoes, fires, and floods. They put in requests for additional funding. Even with funding, some things they do right away which is to get people settled into temporary housing. Getting the money to people can be hard because when people lose their homes, and id, it is hard to prove who they are. They also start the initial cleanup of hazardous waste. The continue assist for 6 months. After that, what has happened on Lahaina is that the State has been funding some of the housing, but they had a housing crisis before and now people have lost their homes and jobs and will lose rent support. They continued to try to verify who actually qualified for services since they had a large homeless population as well and they never had a place to live. They have set up tiny homes and tiny villages, but many people are still living in hotels and everyone wants them out into permanent housing. It will be years before Lahaina can be rebuilt and in the meantime, they have limited options and rental support funding is ending.

It is hard for anyone to start over when you have lost everything. It does help to have a supportive community to help out.

applestar
Mod

So the forecast is 24°F overnight. Coldest +/- 2hrs near dawn 7:17am. Following lows are mid 20’s to around freezing and not of concern, but really should add a little more protection for the inside of Sunflower Hoophouse especially broccoli and cauliflower….

Woke up with a headache … really don’t feel up to going outside … Trying to psych myself up.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”