imafan26
Mod

2023 What's the Weather like Where You Are?

It's a new year. So, I decided to start a new weather thread.

Right now it is 57 degrees, nice and sunny. The high today should be around 78 degrees. A lot of people around me like this cool weather, but it is actually too cold for me. Still, it is better weather than other places. Surf is up to 40 ft on the North Shore.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It is actually 58° here today - warmer than in Hawaii! lol and it is supposed to get slightly warmer overnight, with some rain, before cooling slowly during the day tomorrow. 41° is the average high at this time, around here.

applestar
Mod

I haven’t been paying attention to weather lately because it’s been mostly mild here, even though I know other parts of the country has been going through a lot.

When I looked at the forecast for the coming week, I thought they made a typo for Friday-Sat overnight and the Sat high temps
FB9F2064-F579-4B97-BD5D-D6888D691D44.jpeg

…and then went to check the current temp map for the USA for where the “cold front” might be coming from … and realized what’s going on right NOW out in midwest and north 🥶

Stay warm everybody! :bouncey:

imafan26
Mod

I am finally seeing some rain. I will see rain for the next few days as the cold front goes through the island chain from east to west. It is 66 degrees. It has warmed up 2 degrees since this morning. It has been raining since last night, but it has so far been light drizzle to light rain. The front is moving slowly and it is supposed to pick up over night and all day tomorrow. There is a flood watch in effect until 6 pm tomorrow.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

After a high of 55° today, tomorrow and one other day this month will be the only days of January that have been below normal, and only a couple degrees - I just saw that it will be an average of over 9° above average for the month! I won't complain! February is already going to be below average, but next weekend the high is supposed to be in the 20s, instead of 41°.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Our last 2 "snowstorms" amounted to little more than covering things with a thin white blanket. The WS claimed that a half inch would fall each time and they had it about right. There is a 40% chance of another of these January snowstorms today with a possibility of an inch. Snow has been piled at the corners of the driveway since the first week of November but remains almost nowhere else in the yard.

It was 1°f yesterday morning. Our -10° (-23°C) looks to be safe at the moment as a Winter low and that occurred within hours following the Solstice! Cloudy Cloudy Cloudy almost continuously this month. We won't have Pepperhead's warm January, however, these mild Winters are a continuing surprise. It is also difficult for me to complain as long as sufficient snow falls in the high elevations. However, we have suffered from Summer wildfires enough to make us miserable and that is a damn poor tradeoff.

Two days of Winter cold but the blue skies and sunshine brought special joy.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

It is 65 degrees, sunny and the skies have cleared for now. It may get cloudier with a 40% chance of rain this afternoon but it most rain will likely hit the windward side. I only get what drifts over the mountain after that and the winds right now are 5 mph.

imafan26
Mod

Currently it is 69 degrees and I am in the middle of a very loud thunderstorm. It started raining intermittently yesterday and through the night but it is raining hard now. Oahu is under a flood advisory now and it looks like there will be some wet weather for for a few days.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It is up to 28° here - not as bad as yesterday, because it is a few degrees warmer, and it is very sunny (first time for a while!), and not nearly as windy as yesterday! Got down to 15° overnight, but tomorrow is forecast for 48°, and in the 50s all week, up to 60° Thursday! Crazy weather.

imafan26
Mod

It is 68 degrees. It is still raining overnight, a little heavier than usual. Scattered showers and even more thunderstorms are possible, but the sun should be peeking out some time today. It looks like there will be liquid sunshine until midweek before it dries out.

imafan26
Mod

It is a little warmer. It is 70 degrees at 9 a.m. The overnight low was 64. I have hardly had to do much watering since Feb 6. It has either rained intermittently or overnight. It is cold and overcast most of the time, so the water vapor does not evaporate as fast. The winds though, had kicked up a few notches. Enough to
cause trees and rocks loosened by the rain to fall. My neighbor's roof leaked and had to have it replaced in the few days that the sun came out.

One of my bench frames was shaken apart and it wasn't even covered with shade cloth. I may have to bit the bullet and glue the frame. It will make it less portable.

There is another low pressure system approaching the islands that will move up the chain again. It is not as big as the last one, but the ground is already saturated, so it may cause more flooding.

My rain gauge had 8.5 inches of rain collected over the period of a week. Since my papaya tree now is over the rain gauge, it is not that accurate, but good enough to guess it was probably a lot more than the less than a tenth of an inch which is normal. I think it was probably about 2.5 inches. My lanai did not flood.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Sunday night, it didn't freeze so Monday was the first morning in 4 weeks for it to be above freezing. The Moon and stars were bright in a clear sky.

Low 20's yesterday morning with clouds through much of the day and it didn't make it to 40°f (4°C). The thermometer was at 17f (-8C) this morning. Blue skies! Our warm air had blown away. It should, however, hit 40f over the next several afternoons.

It is misleading that, while we have had mild Winter weather for weeks & weeks -- there hasn't been a single day above 50°f (10°C) since very early November. Yeah, just after we had lots of snow. Some of that November snow is still under a pile of white stuff at the corner of the driveway and under the pile that slid off the carport roof. Otherwise, there is no snow in the yard!

I'm on my normal schedule for starting seed, which means that I have done practically nothing other than start some pansies, onions and a couple of herbs. I will wait another week for more. I checked the Weather Service information and all of February days have past records of below ZeroF lows except for 4 February days. One of those days is February 29th :D. There is little reason for me to take much of a Leap of Faith that this Winter weather indicates a coming early Spring. Maybe but ...

digitS'

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It's already 60° here and sunny at noon, and forecast to get 66° today and tomorrow.

imafan26
Mod

It is 73 degrees at 2 p.m. It was a nice day. A little overcast and the winds have died down a lot to 15 mph but coming from the NW instead of the trades. 2 storm systems are approaching one from the East and a larger one coming from the west. Today, I was talking to some of my other gardening buddies and on the windward side and on the North shore it was pouring rain. In the desert where the garden is. the skies were sunny and clear. At my house there were a few sprinkles overnight and over cast with patches of blue.

The weather will be changing overnight as the first storm impacts the islands. There is a flood watch that will run from tomorrow through Saturday. The ground really has not dried out from the last storm and the high winds had knocked down trees and rocks fell on the roads. The state is preparing again by dredging and removing debris from the canals and river mouths and they had loosened the rocks from the road cuts to reduce the number of large boulders that could fall. Localized flooding is expected, and people have stocked up with emergency batteries, water, and tarps. The designated emergency shelters are prepping just in case they have to open.

This is pretty much all we can do this time of year and we have been here before. Some places flood all the time so they know what to do, but others there are always some places that are unexpected. I myself am pretty stocked up due to my hoarding tendencies and I was going to get more more eggs, but decided in case the power goes out, I can wait until next week to get anything that needs to be cold. The islands won't be hit all at the same time. And not all parts of any island gets hit the same way. Some areas will get more rain than others.

Storms usually hit one side of the island chain and move slowly through over a few days. Heavy rain, thunder and lightning are expected as well as localized flooding. Power outages are also common from trees and rocks falling on roads and transmission lines. Part of the main road was blocked after the last storm so people had to take the scenic route around the island. I don't really need to go out for anything now. I filled car with gas and I should not have to go out for the next few days. Usually, except for my lanai flooding, I don't have bad flooding issues. I have had wind damage to my roof. I did get it inspected a couple of months ago and it was sound. If the wind picks up again, I will have pots and plants blowing around the yard. I can't actually do that much about it, but pick it up when I can.

applestar
Mod

I didn’t get the chance to go out and see for myself but DDs have reported that the Snowdrops by the front porch are blooming! Harbinger of Spring :D

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

72°f yesterday. 20°f this morning. 80°f forecast for next week. I hope this is not an indication what to expect this summer. Last summer broke all the records, it was 100°f with small rain once a month, drought warning and burn band for 3 months. I look out the window every morning to see what season we are having today.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imafan26
Mod

70 degrees now. It only got up to 77 degrees yesterday. It rained in the early morning pretty hard. I had about 1 inch of rain over the last couple of days. Most of the rain fell on Maui and Hawaii counties. They did have swift water and flooded roads, but everyone took precautions. The rain was heavy but not continuous. Most of the rain fell off shore. The skies have cleared up on Oahu, but they are still getting more rain on the Big Island and Maui. Another system coming from the west on Tuesday. So, there will be a couple of days of less rain.
The ground is already saturated, so it depends on how much rain and wind that system drops on us.

Actually, Gary. Open burning is not allowed without a permit on Oahu. The plantations are gone. The incinerator burns trash for energy, and the solid waste is buried in the landfill. Yard waste and recyclables are collected separately.

Although Maui and Big Island got most of the rain, they are still designated as abnormally dry. The rest of the state including Molokai are at the moment considered to be normal or above average rain for this time of the year.

applestar
Mod

This is pretty crazy-looking :eek:
The Weather Channel Maps | weather.com
https://weather.com/classicMaps

As of this morning, they’re predicting high of 62°F and overnight Fri-Sat of 25°F….

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Yes AppleStar, that looks crazy.

And, it looks like those folks on the border of the cold front might be experiencing some extreme drops in their temperatures.

Locally, it looks accurate. Forty-eight hours ago, it wasn't even freezing at 5 AM. Now, the thermometer has fallen to single digitS' °F. Snow yesterday. We are somewhat protected by being in a large basin between high mountain ranges. Where I live is sorta backed up into a range. Of course that means that during calm weather, the cold air from the mountains often drops down overnight. It has been far from calm these last 48 hours, however ;).

I'm grateful for those needing to work outdoors right now - it must be tough. Livestock, pets outdoors, unsheltered ... well, that may end in tragedy.

Steve

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

73° is the forecast high for today - it was 47° just before 9 am, when I went to Aldi's, and when I got home around 9:30, it had already gotten up to 54°! Tomorrow, back down to 46°, then down to 37° on Saturday for a high, then back in the 50s on Sunday. Crazy weather!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

digitS' wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:59 am
Yes AppleStar, that looks crazy.

And, it looks like those folks on the border of the cold front might be experiencing some extreme drops in their temperatures.

Locally, it looks accurate. Forty-eight hours ago, it wasn't even freezing at 5 AM. Now, the thermometer has fallen to single digitS' °F. Snow yesterday. We are somewhat protected by being in a large basin between high mountain ranges. Where I live is sorta backed up into a range. Of course that means that during calm weather, the cold air from the mountains often drops down overnight. It has been far from calm these last 48 hours, however ;).

I'm grateful for those needing to work outdoors right now - it must be tough. Livestock, pets outdoors, unsheltered ... well, that may end in tragedy.

Steve
digitS, how far are you from Twin Falls ID? I spent some time in Twin Falls it is amazing their weather is very much like TN winter. Twin Falls is in a temperate zone, ocean to the west, tall mountains to the east. Yellowstone on the other side of the mountains has crazy cold weather & deep snow. Twin falls has sandy soil probably great for a garden and summers are not hot like TN and very good camping. Have you been to Alturas Lake 2 hr drive north of Twin Falls.
Attachments
001_zpsysozqflu.jpg

imafan26
Mod

The sun was suppossed to come out yesterday. I didn't. I was at the garden and got showered for a little while. At least the weeds are easy to pull out when the ground is saturated

It was supposed to clear for a couple of days, but it is easier to predict good weather I guess. It is overcast and it rained intermittently overnight. I expect it will do the same today. It is 69 degrees at 9 a.m.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:30 am
digitS, how far are you from Twin Falls ID? I spent some time in Twin Falls it is amazing their weather is very much like TN winter. Twin Falls is in a temperate zone, ocean to the west, tall mountains to the east. Yellowstone on the other side of the mountains has crazy cold weather & deep snow. Twin falls has sandy soil probably great for a garden and summers are not hot like TN and very good camping. Have you been to Alturas Lake 2 hr drive north of Twin Falls.
Gary, it's an 9 to 10 hour drive to Twin Falls, south-east. I'm about a 4 1/2 hour drive to Pacific Ocean Water at Seattle. Twin Falls is about twice as far to the Pacific. Either way, one has to cross the Cascade Mountains.

Alturas Lake, you are coming a little closer to my neck of the woods. There are lots of big lakes around here. I have been to Alturas California but not to that lake in Idaho. I have been to Twin Falls, however ;).

Steve

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It didn't reach the forecast 73° here today - only 71°. lol I got quite a bit done out there today, including direct seeding some brassicas, just to see if it's not too early. I also scratched in some dill seeds in a few places, and some of those Mexican sunflower seeds, behind the shed, to see if they come up that way - I'll also start some inside, as I did last year, the first time I grew them. It's still 65° now, when almost dark, but getting cool, soon.

imafan26
Mod

It is 67 degrees. The rain briefly stopped, but more is on the way. It is a slow rain, but very windy. Slow rain is better for us since it has time to recharge the aquifer rather than flood or run off back to the ocean immediately. Today's rain will become tomorrows drinking water in about 25 years.

In the meantime, the surface vegetation have greened up. Hawaii has only 1.15% of the land area that is abnormally dry and that is on Maui. The remainder of the state shows zero on the drought monitor. It's been a long time since that happened.

applestar
Mod

It’s snowing 🌨❄️

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I saw nothing here this afternoon.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:11 pm
It’s snowing 🌨❄️
And, it is snowing here.

More coming today and over the next 3 or 4 days & nights. At least it warmed up. The snow that has been in my yard since the first week of November was down to about 4 shovelfuls just where it had been piled and then, the cold hit and now the snow. This morning, I added some to the pile with the shovel along the sidewalk/driveway. I'll miss seeing the Moon in the evening, up there with Venus and Jupiter. But, at least it warmed up ... I guess that I already said that.

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We are breaking high temperature records almost every day, 77° and 3" of rain & 48 mph wind forecast for today. Rain and 70+ temperatures forecast for another week. We had 80° temperatures last week, 70s the week before that, 60s the week before that. We get, 2", 3", 4", every day it rains. TV claims no rain 76° & sunny Tuesday, time to plant onions in the mud.
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

imafan26
Mod

69 degrees at 9:30 a.m. Still overcast and still raining intermittently. I still find your temperature swings to be odd. Some of you have snow one week and temperatures that are higher than mine the next.

imafan26
Mod

It is 64 degrees now and it has been raining most of the night. It looks like there will be scattered showers for most of the foreseeable future. The winds are picking up and that will allow more of the rain to cross over the mountains to the Leeward side. The sun has made a rare appearance over the last week. Right now it is overcast.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

70 mph wind blew 1 of our trees into the road and blocked traffic for several hours.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:21 pm, edited 9 times in total.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Hasn't started raining here yet, but it's coming up from the SW. They are predicting heavy winds here, too, and the rain will be light, at first, then get heavy, in the evening and morning, giving us up to an inch, maybe more, in some areas. A high of 46° is forecast, which is about average for this time.

imafan26
Mod

Finally seeing some blue sky and the sun. The street is actually dry. It is still cool. NOAA is not working right now. I guess somewhere between 65-67 degrees. It is 71 degrees downhill and I am about 4-5 degrees cooler. It is still a jacket day and I am keeping my umbrella close. There is still an 80% chance of rain today. I have to take advantage of the sun when I can. There are two more fronts heading my way. There is more rain in the forecast next week. it has been really windy with gust up to 50 mph. I have to check out the yard and see what has been rolling around. I heard something drop in the garage this morning. I will have to pick that up too.

imafan26
Mod

It is 74 degrees now at one o'clock in the afternoon. It did rain a little last night but most of yesterday and today has been relatively dry.

It is becoming more overcast and it could still rain again later today. I have to take advantage of the sunny hours whenever I can. There was 10 inches of rain water in my rain gauge that accumulated over the last couple of weeks.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Snowing again.

Since the first-week-of-November snow didn't melt immediately, I wondered if I would be saying that some of the snow around the first week of March would be from that time in November. It is ... and, was. I think that we can now say that it's "the second week." Next will be "mid-March." Yes, the Ides of March.

It has not been a very cold Winter, not even a very snowy one - just lingering, lingering ...

Probably not a 2" snowfall this morning but the WS says that more is on the way tomorrow night. It's gonna interfere with me setting up the temporary hoop house if'n it hangs around much longer! Fortunately, tiny seedlings had a couple of bright days of sunshine this week, to celebrate their arrival in the South Window.

Steve

applestar
Mod

50°F outside but getting an alert that it’s 96°F inside the Sunflower Hoophouse :eek:

Time to remove some of the layers and start venting excess(ive) heat.

imafan26
Mod

It is 72 degrees now. The sun is out with a few clouds. The winds have abated. Yesterday, it was gusting up to 50 mph and in some places it was up to 90 mph. Trees fell, a traffic light pole came down on the street downtown, power was disrupted when trees fell on the power lines, and roofs were blown off. Boats broke from their moorings. The boat owners were told to secure their boats, but I don't see how it would be possible to safely do that until the winds abated. Sometimes, the State does things that are just nonsensical. They should have warned the boaters before the storm, not during the storm. Even if the boaters secured their boats, the wind and surf is so strong, it would not have been possible to prevent some of the boats from breaking loose.

They did warn people who were flooded out in the December rains to prepare for more flooding. The State did work overtime to secure areas that are known for rockfalls and dredged canals and streams. It won't protect everyone, but they did try to mitigate as much as possible. The utility was working to clear streets of downed power lines and are still working to restore power in some areas. My power briefly went out, but it was on an automatic switching circuit so I only noticed it because I had to reset the clocks.

A couple of pots were blown over in my yard and loose pots were knocked over multiple times. One of my tree nets got blown down more than once, so I had to tuck it in a box.

The gutter I just had put up a few days ago, managed to not fall down and it did what it was supposed to do. I redirected the water to the side yard and that kept the lanai from flooding There was about 2 inches of water in the side yard but it was able to move out when the rain abated. I do have a new pool where the water comes off the roof, but it does not impact anything.

We'll have a couple of days of drying out before the next band of wet weather comes in around Sunday night.

Some of these bands will make it across the Pacific and will be impacting the West Coast in 4-5 days.

At this time of the year, the winds come from the opposite direction, the NW instead of the NE. So it affects the North and Leeward shores more. The good thing is that now all of the islands are officially at zero drought for this time of the year.

imafan26
Mod

It is a cool 59 degrees at 7:40 am. The high today is in the mid 70's. There are a few high clouds and it is sunny and dry at the moment. Humidity is 28%.

It is a 12 degree drop from yesterday. It is all because of the shift of the winds and high pressure in the west. It also has blocked the winds so it is calm now.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

The whole month of Feb & March was, 60°, 65°, 70°, 81°, 60° again, now 35°f this morning and 28° predicted for tomorrow morning. All the plants and trees think it is spring already every thing has blossoms & flowers. Pollen is so high I was suck in bed for 3 days, Sun, Mon, Tue, and had to get steroid shot & steroid pills at the doctor. Grass in the yard was 10" tall in some places it had to be cut. We keep having lots of high wind an less rain than we typically receives chickweed keeps trying to take over the entire garden. The 60' tall maple tree in the yard is dropping 1000s of helicopter seeds. Yard is full of 100s of nice looking yellow dandelions. Both peach trees are loaded with pink blossoms. I see blue birds building nests in 3 of the 9 bird houses.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”