Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Interesting YouTube Videos

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Thanks, Gary; interesting stuff.
I remember me and my pals - Scottish kids on our way to school one morning, probably in 1943 or 4 - picking up a lot of strips of black paper, silvered on one side, that were scattered on the ground. There was lots of excited chatter about what they might be and where they came from. I think they were actually the so-called 'window' dropped from aircraft with intent to mislead/confuse German radar. The RAF must have been experimenting with them; testing them over home ground. Or maybe the Germans dropped the stuff but I don't recall a big air raid from the night before.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Vanisle_BC wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:43 pm
Thanks, Gary; interesting stuff.
I remember me and my pals - Scottish kids on our way to school one morning, probably in 1943 or 4 - picking up a lot of strips of black paper, silvered on one side, that were scattered on the ground. There was lots of excited chatter about what they might be and where they came from. I think they were actually the so-called 'window' dropped from aircraft with intent to mislead/confuse German radar. The RAF must have been experimenting with them; testing them over home ground. Or maybe the Germans dropped the stuff but I don't recall a big air raid from the night before.
This is another very good history video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FDeLnxCOXA

applestar
Mod

福田亨:立体木象嵌ミヤマカラスアゲハ ーメイキング動画ー
Toru Fukuda : Inlaid Wood Sculpture Making — Papilio maackii swallowtail

applestar
Mod

I was recently browsing the Baker Creek seed site and noted that they have giant cabbage seeds —

Sapporo Giant #4 Cabbage Seeds | Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

So it was a bit fun to watch this video, randomly picked for fun, and hear the zoo keep say that they were going to feed the hippos “Sapporo Giant” cabbages, and see their relative sizes :D

applestar
Mod

IF you are “Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba” fan, Ufotable has posted a special dedication video celebrating the completion of Sword smith Village arc called “Nezuko’s Song”

WARNING — THIS IS A SPOILER if YOU HAVEN’T WATCHED the season’s episodes.

テレビアニメ「鬼滅の刃」刀鍛冶の里編 特別映像「竈門禰豆子のうた」 - YouTube

applestar
Mod

I hesitated posting about this video because it’s in Japanese and almost entirely verbal — spoken and written. But I’ll post it here as an example of good reference video I look for on YouTube.

This is a video by a young fruit orchard nursery farmer — I started out watching his fig care videos — very detailed— and was particularly useful for me because his farm is in I think Hokkaido or maybe Aomori area — northern region with similar temperatures as mine, where he grows the figs in containers inside hot houses and greenhouses, as well as some that he claims are winter hardy in the ground outdoors

(BUT, his winter climate is closer to northern-most US states and Great Lakes and coastal southern Canada, with significant snowfall and prolonged accumulation/snowcover. I don’t get that insulating snow mulch effect here)

He started collaborating with other fruit tree farmers/nurseries, and he’s been posting about Blueberry care with this older farmer who talks to him conversationally like he is his apprentice. He has a u-pick blueberry farm and container blueberry nursery in Niigata — also heavy snow country but close/similar temperatures as mine — I suspect borderline USDA ZONE 6b/7 + benefit of the snow accumulations since he can grow some Rabbiteye and Southern Highbush varieties outdoors — and better match than another YouTuber that I’m learning a lot from but is located in Tokyo-north area (closer to USDA 8 ).

I don’t see auto translated cc option with this, but the video is about month-by-month blueberry care. (A couple of advice I’m already scribbling down — set up bird netting before flower buds appear because little birds not necessarily fruit eaters will eat them — explains years I wasn’t seeing as many blossoms as I thought I should … currently studying how to dig up and move my plants away from neighbors trees that have encroached — sounds like I should have done it in mid-September, but still a chance to move them immediately after thaw by mid-March … etc.)

applestar
Mod

if you have anyone in your family who likes Mac and Cheese, this is interesting to watch —

applestar
Mod

This is a Japanese video about what to include in your pet cat emergency evacuation kit, and ends with recommended method for carrying a cat + emergency kit for both your pet and yourself.

It was interesting that he said “ “some” designated evacuation sites are starting to stock pet supplies but not all of them do….”

https://youtu.be/1N975fKrQ1I?si=9Jj3ckRC5FNniWDK
* Not saying I recommend per se, but I never thought about evacuation prep like this, so it was an eye opener for me.

…In a separate headline, this caught my eye too — a chalk-art left in the classroom to thank the high school that hosted evacuees of Noto Penninsula earth quake (bowing deeply, all the way down to kneeling and touching forehead to the ground is considered to be expression of sincerest feeling of gratitude).
The Principle said the class room had been thoroughly cleaned and all the desks and chairs had been positioned back in place.
Attachments
7CED3ED7-E3D0-424A-AECA-D48CB834DF1F.jpeg

applestar
Mod

“cutest crab in the world” is white and fluffy just after molting — empty shell next to it… and about a week later.

https://youtu.be/-2xPUEHMVsk?si=3t6YG_MVwF1sfzM8

applestar
Mod

I watch this YouTube channel once in a while. The couple live on inland side of Shikoku Island, so the climate is completely different from mine — mild winters, probably closer to Gulf states — and their techniques are not always applicable for me. But they have been gardening for a long time in a community garden plot as well as small scale patio/veranda at home, and I like their cheerful, honest presentation and some of their great reference ideas.

I feel like I’ve mentioned this before, but they have been posting about their annual Sakurajima Daikon contest, in which the couple each grows ONE giant daikon each during the fall-winter season, and compete for who grew the better one.

This is their harvest post for this year — ground prep was in Sept last fall.

Rareseeds (Baker Creek) I think still sells the sakurajima daikon seeds if anyone who gardens in mild winter areas wants to think about trying this fall. ;)

https://youtu.be/A-PZ-hnMlcI?si=UZ9dc32lQARYbUFD

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”