applestar
Mod

Re: Glyphosate and Roundup Revisited

By WHY are some numbers in the hundreds and others in decimals? OK maybe you would not eat a cup of peppermint leaves at a time, but still...?

imafan26
Mod

I have no clue. The FDA sets the standards so I guess it is that was deemed to be safe levels by whoever set the standards. It probably is like you said based on an average serving. If you don't normally use a lot it should have a lower number than something you would eat a lot of in a serving. Like a whole apple vs cinnamon.

Again these are the maximum allowable levels. Most products would try to go well below the tolerance levels.

Organic products always test lower in organophosphate contamination but even the conventional produce tests lower than the standards allow. I read that someplace, but I went through so many sources, I don't remember.

I actually was looking for an honest evaluation of contaminants in organic produce. Of course the organic people claim they don't have that much because they are held to the same standards as conventional foods. But, I have not found an organic organization study that was unbiased yet. I found some other things which the organic groups refute like higher contamination from e coli, and salmonella and other pathogens. They won't say how many bugs are allowed on organic produce. The only source I found that even came close was from a news network, and I don't use those because they are also biased.

applestar
Mod

Still mulling it all over. Read that article about food contaminants @Imafan. Yum! :twisted: I sent the link to DH and BIL then realized it was about 12:30PM and they were probably eating lunch :P )

I noticed this thread isn't cross-linked with this other thread, so I will add the link here:

:arrow: Subject: Please read before you spray poisons! INFO
rainbowgardener wrote:Lots more new information about glyphosate coming out, about more subtle environmental effects. […]

imafan26
Mod

What I don't really like about the organic organizations conclusions is that the say there has been research to prove their point, but most of them do not include the actual research data and some of their statements I have found in reading the actual research material, but found that they have carved out the only the information they wanted to hear and but failed to recognize the other findings in the same study that did not support their position.

Case in point-
Organic group : research says that synthetic fertilzers kill soil microbes
What they fail to report in that same research it says that microbes die because the synthetic fertilizers feed the plants and the microbes but without carbon present the microbes die. They also fail to report that organic fertilizers yields are always lower than synthetics but by combining organic composts to improve soil tilth water holding capacity and feed the soil with synthetics yield is greater than synthetics or organics alone and the combination of synthetic fetilizers and organic components actually reduces the requirement for the synthetic fertilizers so you can get higher yields with less fertilizer.

Organic is not pesticide free although most lay people believe that they don't use any pesticides. Organic pesticides are toxic, a point that the organic people go out of their way not to report. Pyrethroids are organic but if it is mixed with petroleum products it can be extended and quite toxic to non-target animals and beneficial insects. There is a possiblility that neem may have a detrimental effect on bees. Neem contaminated pollen does not affect aldult bees but when pollen is fed to the larvae it may cause the larvae shells to become so hard, they can't emerge so the bees die.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I don't know a lot about glyphosate and don't believe everything I read. Big business will do or say anything to make money. Big business had Sodium Chlorate band now people have no choice but to pay 10 times more money to people like Monsanto instead of buying a low cost produce like Sodium Chlorate that has been around for 100 years. Big business eliminates the competition then they can charge any price they want. Sodium Chlorate is made from kitchen table salt it is easy to make, mix 1 gallon of salt with 5 gallons of water, heat to a temperature hotter than 113 degrees, run 3 volts of electricity through the warm water using, carbon or tungsten or titanium electrodes for 30 hours. Spray the water on any plant it will kill it dead. Big business got sodium chlorate band by claiming it causes liver damage and kidney damage. Table salt will cause liver and kidney damage too if you eat enough of it. How do we know glyphosate is not some form of sodium chlorate with a different name companies can make up any name the like for new products.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”