pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Re: 2022 What's the Weather Like Where You Are?

It got up to 68° here today - didn't crack 70°. Tomorrow it is supposed to stay in the 30s! Going below freezing a couple more times, then getting warmer again to welcome in March...so they say. Only rained around 1/4".

imafan26
Mod

It is cool 77 degrees. sunny with a light breeze and a few clouds in the sky. I got up early and did some weeding in the garden.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

36° this morning no ice it never got cold enough to freeze last night. TV says we got another 4" of rain last might. Slow rain is ok it has time to run off but fast rain floods before it can run off. TN roads are a roller coaster ride all the low places flood. Look at this picture road is blocked and there is a portable toilet for people that can't get home after work and have to spend the night sleeping in their car. People that know their road floods will not go to work for several days other wise they can't return home. Some people sleep at work. TV is showing all the closed roads, some schools have 3 ft of water in them. Stream near us can rise 20 ft in 6 hrs then drop 20 ft in another 6 hours, last year was the all time record 23 ft. Wife needs meds at pharmacy so we see if we can get there about 10 am.
Attachments
100_3764.JPG
100_3766.JPG

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Well, It did hit 70° here yesterday. I had been just looking at my temp on and off, but when I saw the temp had gotten to the 70s just about everywhere in the area, I checked my max/min mode, and it had been 71°, but now it is 30° colder than at yesterday at this time - 37° - and not getting much warmer. Yo-yo temps the next few days, with some rain tonight - freezing in some of the colder areas.

imafan26
Mod

Could you send some rain my way. Not a lot, just a little. It has been a dry winter and the temperature is all over the place. It is still cool for this time of the year, but this should be the rainy season.

told2b

Rain.jpg
Rain.jpg (13.93 KiB) Viewed 1128 times

imafan26
Mod

Thanks!

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Can't sleep. There's a nasty storm going on out there. But thankfully I think I'm out of the red zone. Sounds like mostly rain out there now with some lightening and occasional thunder. Greenhouse is all bricked, tied and clamped up tight. Current temperature is 58. Storm sounds even softer by now, guess I will go back to bed.

imafan26
Mod

There are two high pressure systems to the North, most of that will miss us and rain on the ocean instead. It does affect our trade winds which will come and go. It is 73 degrees now. It only got up to 79 degrees today. As long as things stay this cool, some of my plants will be able to be watered every 2-3 days. I still have to water everyday since the 4 inch pots and pot bound plants still need to be watered every day. It has been a dry winter. The BOWS is already asking for a 10% voluntary cut in water use ahead summer.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Yesterday it got to 62°, with sun all day, and getting warmer for a couple of days. I got a bunch done out there, including laying the drip irrigation lines in my raised beds. And, of course, cleanup.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Having a severe thunderstorm going on out there. It already hailed; I had taken the precaution of putting the foam boards over my greenhouse to help protect it should it do so. A loud thunderclap sounded like a bomb exploded right in my front yard. Raining heavily, and lightening. Current temperature is 64.

Guess I'll go to bed. I'm so exhausted that a tornado could flatten my house and I'd sleep through the whole thing, lol!

Ouch, there went another thunder-bomb.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:42 pm
Having a severe thunderstorm going on out there. It already hailed; I had taken the precaution of putting the foam boards over my greenhouse to help protect it should it do so. A loud thunderclap sounded like a bomb exploded right in my front yard. Raining heavily, and lightening. Current temperature is 64.

Guess I'll go to bed. I'm so exhausted that a tornado could flatten my house and I'd sleep through the whole thing, lol!

Ouch, there went another thunder-bomb.

That storm is on its way to TN we have 4" of rain predicted. It is raining very had at 9am water standing everywhere. No wind, no lightning, no tornados.
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Raining here again, but nothing severe - even with all the time it rained today, it was only a little more than ¼", but we need the rain, according to our precipitation so far, and what we usually have by now.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

No damage from last nights storm. I slept through the second part of it so I don't know how bad it was.

Today the wind is very bad, I'll be staying inside mostly. Current temperature is 53. Next predicted storm is Monday night. What is it about bad storms always being in the night???

imafan26
Mod

It is 77 degrees, but it feels warmer. I ate too much for brunch, so now, I don't want to do anything. It is a nice day with a gentle breeze. I watered the yard late. Things were starting to get the mid day droop. There is only a slight chance of rain in the next three days. It is good weather to be outside at a park or at the beach.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Very, very severe storms expected for East Texas tonight. Doesn't sound good at all. I ask for your thoughts and prayers for East Texas.

Current temperature is a pleasant 62. Cloudy and slightly breezy outside. I will definitely be covering, tying, and clamping my greenhouse and anything else down I possibly can.

imafan26
Mod

It started at 64 degrees this morning and it is 81 degrees now. It just stopped raining. These are convection showers because the trades are essentially turned off. They only lasted about 15 minutes of heavy drops. Now, the humidity will come up as it steams off.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Tonight is Doomsnight. Damaging winds, large hail and tornadoes are all coming my way approximately 2 a.m. Schools even closed or rescheduled due to the intensity of this very severe storm. Just to say if nobody hears from me again it means I was blown away.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Thoughts and prayers with you and everyone else down in that area. Stay safe!

imafan26
Mod

It may rain off and on for the next couple of days. It rained a couple of times tonight. I am well stocked. In fact, I have 2 items on my grocery list and I don't need any of them yet. I even have chocolate! I do have to get some work done in the yard. I need to start more of the warm season crops and of course a little rain will bring up the weeds again.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

The storm started around 2 a.m. A lot of the red had dissipated but I stayed in a long line of yellow. I got enough rain to flood the Sahara desert accompanied by lightening, thunder and a little hail. I lost a lot of sleep but no damage was done, power stayed on and greenhouse is still standing. Earlier a lightening bolt must have struck my front yard it was so close and so bright like a camera flash in your eyes. Immediately after that came a thunder-bomb. Frogs are out there singing away.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Glad to hear there was no damage, and you kept power, TomatoNut! Hope everything stays that way.

Got down to 40° here overnight, which may be about normal here, but colder than it has been, and the first time my heat went on for a while, though only briefly. Another warm day today, in the 60s, but back down in the 50s tomorrow, with rain. I have to watch the lows, to see if it might get below freezing, as I'll have to shut the valves, and drain those outside pipes. I usually have to do that at least once after turning them back on.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We have tons of pollen in the air plants think it is summer. 80° forecast next week.
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.

imafan26
Mod

It rained most of the night and off an on during the day. It has been a dry winter, so the rain is soaking in and not running off. It is a slow rain, so while it is annoying if I want to do things outside, it is the best kind of rain to have. It is topping off my rain barrels again.

applestar
Mod

Another rollercoaster coming — low-20’s°F forecast for Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday overnight lows …then high of 75°F on Thursday :shock:

applestar
Mod

It’s 11am and still 28°F with “feels like” of 22°F :roll: It’s not always this cold even in the middle of the winter. :|

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It got down to 26° here last night, and is supposed to get colder tonight. Still only 31°, just before noon! And very windy, gusting close to 40 mph. Not a good day to be outside!

imafan26
Mod

It was around 68 degrees last night and it is 74 degrees now and overcast. It has been lightly sprinkling off and on. It has been raining mostly at night for a few days, so I have not had to water everything in the yard. Mainly the small seedling pots and the pot bound pots since they dry very fast. The wind is calm, not even a palm leaf is moving (0-3 mph) humidity is 69%.

It is better weather than Pepperhead has, this is actually colder than I like it especially since the rain is not warm rain. So, I have been popping out into the yard to do a little bit and then coming in when the rain gets annoying again.

I might go shopping again. I don't need anything, but at least I can get out of the house for awhile.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Well, it's snowing now, although I only had flurries around here, and it is starting to look sunny again. However, there were some very heavy squalls through the area, causing bad pile-ups in a few places! It's barely above freezing, and getting colder tonight, than last night, and the wind is still very strong. Fortunately, I have nowhere to go, and nothing in the ground that will be bothered by it.

And Thursday it's supposed to get to 76°!

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

It's been like summer the past few days here! Temps in the 80's, I've been having to pull all the plants out of my incorrectly designed hot greenhouse. Wasps have flying around, snakes are out, and I'm having to be on guard. Hummingbirds are back, pollen is starting to blow everywhere and frogs have been quite noisy. It's supposed to rain Wednesday morning, idk if its just rain or if storms are in it.

imafan26
Mod

Snakes! Knock on wood. Only dead snakes have been found here. The butterflies, moths and the sucking pests are definitely out and they came out early. The birds at my house never leave. I wish they would. I still hear the rooster early in the morning. I have spotted neck doves, society finches, bulbuls, mejiro, cardinals, Great Northern cardinal, occasionally a pair of mynahs, and java rice birds. Most of these "wild" birds were brought in originally as pets. They all like to eat fruit. The finches eat the kale leaves. The mynahs do catch insects, but they would rather catch geckos. The cattle egret comes by usually after mowing. It also is looking for whatever gets exposed and it likes geckos too. Once in a great moon, the sharma bird will come.

Most of the native birds are endangered because of predators and competition for habitat. Those that are left usually are in conservation areas.

It has been partly cloudy and that has kept the daytime temperature down. It rains intermittently, usually not a lot and sometimes it is very brief, only ten or fifteen minutes.

I heard on the news that another storm is sweeping across the country.

applestar
Mod

Hereabouts, the last week of March to first week of April is the usual timing to plant potatoes (soil temp of 45° minimum…50°F is better). Phenological indicators I look for — forsythia shrubs and callery (Bradford) pear trees are in full bloom around the neighborhood.

Last Friday — only 4 days ago — when I was pottering around the garden, I couldn’t push ground stakes deeper than about 3
~4 inches in parts of the NE front yard — the ground hasn’t completely thawed yet… and these last couple of days in the low 20’s have probably frozen the thawing surface moisture in the ground again, causing significant heaving. :?

By gardening norm, I would say this is a particularly unusual, and possibly devastating freeze that might affect the coming season….

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:31 am

I heard on the news that another storm is sweeping across the country.
Yep, another storm is going across Texas. I don't believe it will be as bad for Texas as the last one. But as it passes on it will get worse and be hazardous for Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas and possibly Alabama. But the wind will be strong, and there are wildfire concerns for southwest Texas. I will receive the rain tomorrow morning.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Wind was so bad last night that I guess a tree fell somewhere. Power went off and stayed off all night. It's still off. Rain/storms are about to hit me. Current temperature is 69.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Weather this time of the year SUCKS. 75° nice sunny windy weather then storms & dark over cast cold weather. I hate this 2 months of up down up down weather.
Attachments
cry.jpg
Last edited by Gary350 on Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:22 am
Weather this time of the year SUCKS. 75° nice sunny weather then storms & dark over cast cold weather. I hate this 2 months of up down up down weather.
I know what you mean. After yesterdays wind and storms I'm back to having cold mornings again. It sunk down to 41 last night. Already its 53. Pollen is getting worse, pine trees are loaded with it. A gust of wind sends off a yellow cloud from the woods. Nasty pollen.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It is up near 70°, with the temp still rising, and severe thunderstorms forecast for later. Winds are already gusting in the 40s, but getting much worse later. I was going to do some things outside, but it's just too windy.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Ups & Downs, yep.

We had 4 days with afternoons in the 60's. One was 68° (20°C).

Then the wind arrived with gusts of 35 mph and the highs dropped out of the 60's. It was 28°f (-2C) this morning and the wind begin to pick up again. Some morning sunshine but the clouds moved in for most of the day and the thermometer didn't look like it would make it out of the 40's but it did, barely. Freezing again tonight with a little rain coming over the next few days. That will moderate the lows but the clouds will keep the thermometer out of the 60's and the wind ... it'll be back.

Fortunately, I don't have any warm-season starts that need to be out in the greenhouse overnight so the heat can stay off for a few more days.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

It is 77 degrees. Cloudy but the sun pokes through now and again. Humidity is 65% but it feels wetter. Rain is brief and light. It isn't too bad. I can still get things done outside.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Why is it not snowing already. 34°F sky is so dark clouds look like it could snow any minute. 4/1/2022

32° and frost 4/2/2022
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”