pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Re: 2022 What's the Weather Like Where You Are?

It's still 82° here getting close to midnight. Only supposed to get to 90° tomorrow, with possible rain, but the last 2 times I got very little, so I had to start thinking about watering the smaller things, at least. We'll see if the humidity does something here.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

What a contrast from the Inter-Mountain NW.

The "official" weather station's meteorologists were saying that today would be a possible tie with 1896 with the latest 70°f (21°C). It didn't happen. Sooo, when it does happen, it will be the RECORD latest for the community to reach a daytime high of 70°.

Now, the nearest airport to my home and gardens reached 70° on May 15th. It didn't accomplish that today although it was a very pleasant Spring Day, with 4 hours spent in the garden :) . The morning started off at 34°f (1°C).

This all points to the fact that it has been a remarkably cool Spring. And yet, there have been no May record low temperatures. It amounts to very cool afternoons. What a contrast from the other side of the US!

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Yesterday we broke the record, coldest night time temperature & coldest day time temperature, set on May 23, 1863. We had 3 days of cold rain and 4 more days of rain on the way with 1" to 3" expected every day. Garden needed some rain it was hot & dry as desert no rain for 2 weeks. I had my winter jacket on every morning 3 days in a row.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

No record low temps here, but it did get down to 58° overnight, and only up to 68° at noon. This is 3 days after tying record highs all over! Next 2 days supposed to be cool, too, though I don't have a lot to do outside - just maintenance.

imafan26
Mod

It has definitely been a strange year weather wise. La Nina is keeping things cooler this year. We do have occasional warm days, but that is usually from the shift in the winds. Kona winds from the south bring up moisture, heat, and vog.

Right now it is warming up. It is 67 degrees and clear. The forecast high is 80. The winds are about 5mph from the NE. Actually, I think it is lower, the palm fronds are not moving. The UV index is high (24), and humidity is 82 percent. It is going to feel hotter than it really is. Down the hill, it is five degrees warmer at 83 degrees. They are already warmer than my predicted high for today. What a difference 4 miles and 600 ft elevation makes.

Despite the recent rains, we are still in drought conditions and there is already water conservation requests from the board of water supply. It is because of less rain, but also because of the military contamination of the city's main well. There may be mandatory restrictions later. They want everyone to cut water use by 10%. The only way I can do that is to restrict water in the yard. Everyone is already being penalized since they raised everyone's base sewer charges and water rates already. The sewer charges are unfair, since I use so little water that I am getting 0-1000 kgal irrigation credit, even though most of that water is going in the yard and not down the drain. I have already restricted use as much as I can in the house and unless there is a leak, I don't use that much. I am growing more food crops, and I don't water the grass anyway. The front yard does get water, but not daily. I do need to pot up some plants so they can go a little longer before needing water. The plants tell me now when I am a day and a half late. Finding soil is still a problem sometimes. The garden centers are still low on stock because demand is still high.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Well, this rain didn't skip me! It started about 3:00, and by 3:20 I had over .5", though the heaviest is through, and it's not lasting long. We'll see how much it brings eventually.

And now there is a tornado warning for the area. Actually, I am out of the area now, and it's up into Burlington Co., and moving fast. They haven't said where there was a sighting, though the worst has moved NE of here - into apple's area.

Looks like it finally stopped here, and it got to .65". May have more later, but the heaviest is through.

imafan26
Mod

Today, the sun is out. It is supposed to get partly cloudy for the next few days. There is some rain somewhere, but not here. It is still cool with the temperature at 77 degrees at 11:24 a.m. The night temperatures are still around 65 degrees. Even though it is cool, the UV is high, so I still try to do the yard work mainly in the early morning and later in the afternoon. The sun sets close to 7 p.m. now so there is a little extra light in the afternoon. The wind is light at 8 mph.

applestar
Mod

Thanks @pepperhead.

We’re OK at our house — the “secret anti-severe weather device” that we occasionally joke about was functioning, and the system split north and south as it went over us. The fringe of the north split did brush past.

But we heard a fire engine hustling along the county road just as the worst rain storm and thunder/lightning was directly overhead (one strike within 0.1 mi according to weatherbug) so emergency response was happening in the area…. Hopefully we’ll find out later and not serious.

imafan26
Mod

You have been lucky. Most of the bad weather goes past you.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Well, the rain is here again, and a lot more thunder than earlier. I'll find out how much more I get overnight. I just checked and I'm up to 1.40", and it was .65" after the first storm today, so this was coming down fast again! And it's supposed to keep going until around 3 am.

applestar
Mod

Yeah, after that second round of slower heavy rains, I won’t be able to plant today :?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I got up to 1.68" by midnight, then .27" after midnight, so just under 2" total. It's nice out there, but wet. At least the pollen is down for a day!

imafan26
Mod

It rained early this morning. I got up early and gassed up the car and did some early morning shopping. It is still dripping off the roof and drizzling. I won't have to water this morning, but I will check again this afternoon. It is overcast. It is 68 degrees now and the high will be about 78 degrees. The sun may poke out between the rain. I did spray Round Up on the pathways yesterday. So, this rain will help wash it in.

The wild bitter melon was going through my fence and climbed on the bay leaf and vireya. I still have to get the rest of the bitter melon off the fence and the bay leaf.
My neighbor cut the pitaya that was going on his side. That makes it easier. I would have had a hard time getting to it.

My other neighbor was a bit confused yesterday, he put out both the green and blue recycling cans.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It was 59° this morning now at 1 pm it has warmed up to 70°. Very dark gray over cast sky it looks like it could rain any minute but no rain in the forecast. Yesterdays high was 70° and very over cast, no rain, only 1 tiny sprinkle barely enough to feel it.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat May 28, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

The thunder is back now! It seemed like just brief rain, but it got very dark, then thunder, and heavier rain. Hardly enough to register on the guage, but enough to wet it up again.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

54° this morning, warming up to 87° later today. WTF = What's The Facts....... it gets colder every morning. Cold weather garden plants probably like this.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

We had our first "official" 70° (21°C) day of 2022 on the 26th. Then, there was a real gutter-washer rainstorm for a few minutes the following day. Amounted to about 1/3 of an inch.

The weather right back to a Saturday afternoon in the 50's but we transplanted out some of the warm-season plants. It looks like and the radar suggests that we may have another little storm, shortly. The storm is circling the northern Rockies but doesn't amount to much on our westside.

There are still tomatoes and peppers to set out. This will be the latest for transplanting those since I lived 500 feet higher during the 70's. That was the 1970's :> .

Steve

imafan26
Mod

The sun came out today. I need to make the most of it while it lasts. it is 67 degrees and clear.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

56° F this morning.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

zclouds.jpg
zclouds.jpg (110.54 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
The sky yesterday afternoon before we had some heavy rain then light rain over about half of the last 24 hours.

Only recently have all of the first transplants gone into the big veggie garden. This is late for that but the irrigation water is yet to be needed or turned on. Late for that, as well.

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Both rain gauges show it rained 3" last night. We slept with a bedroom window open a tiny bit rain sounds good, lightning & thunder woke us up several times. 71° this morning there are the cutest 2 little birds that have been coming to the bird feeder they look like a chickadee but half the size of a chickadee. If I step in the garden I will probably loose both shoes, too late to sprinkle wood ash in the garden now. Rain has exposed 7 potatoes that I missed, wonder how many more I missed that I don't see.
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

Those little birds are likely chickadee fledglings. Here, the brood in the birdhouse I can see from an upstairs window is probably close to fledging. It would make sense that there would be older babies that have left the nest already where you are :D

imafan26
Mod

It is 79 degrees. It is cloudy, but no rain in the forecast.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

58° here this morning & 100° forecast for Monday. Temperatures have been in the 80s all week. Yesterday no rain in the forecast for a week, today 30% chance of rain every day next week.

imafan26
Mod

Its warming up finally. It was 65 degrees when I got up, but was up to 72 degrees before 9 a.m. It is 83 degrees at 1:20 pm Pacific time and it is as hot as it is going to get today. Although it isn't that hot yet, the tropical sun is intense and the UV index is high. Winds are 14 mph now.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It got to 96° today not 99° & heat index was 108° not 115°. It feels like an oven outside.
Attachments
100_4727.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Next week weather, HOT & very dry.
Attachments
100_4793.JPG

imafan26
Mod

It is 82 degrees now at 1:50 p.m. It will start cooling off from now. The overnight low will be 69. It is hot if you are on pavement. I did have to give some of my smaller plants a midday drink. It isn't so bad, the wind is 17 mph. I just have to be careful because at those wind speeds, it is easy to get dust blown into my eyes. This is about average for this time of the year.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Our weather is crazy 53° this morning & forecast for tomorrow is 102°. I put on a heavy shirt & hat to go outside and I'm still cold but it fills much better that 100° with 100% humidity. 10 minutes of that 100° heat I fell exhausted.
Last edited by Gary350 on Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Got down to 57° here overnight, after 58° the last couple of nights. And last night I saw the dew point was 36° at one point! 80° forecast for the high today, and even lower tomorrow, for the first day of summer. Crazy weather.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Right now, I feel a little amped up ;). I just found a NWS weather station that is nearer my distant garden (2 miles) than the nearest Weather Underground volunteer or the nearest airport - which is about 12 miles away.

After a morning low there of 52°f, the thermometer has made it up to 57° (11°C to 14°C). It's 1 PM. The low both here at home and there yesterday was in the 40's.

The June average is only a little cooler than normal at about 1°f below the average for that airport. However, our welcome 3.5 inches of rain so far this month is more than 3 times what it would normally be, 20 days into the month. And, it's sprinkling again right now.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

It is 75 degrees and it is raining now. It rained last night too. Any little bit helps.

imafan26
Mod

It is 71 degrees now with a high of 79 expected. It has been lightly raining at night and that has kept the night temperatures down. It is overcast during the day which keeps the peak temperature down, but the humidity high. At this time of the year I work in the garden in the morning and maybe a little more in the afternoon after 2:30 p.m. I still have to water everyday, but the front yard does not get any water now. It is used to living on rain. I checked my rain gauge and I have been averaging .10 inch. which is typical. I can't believe it is the fourth of July already. I expected it to be hotter. The hottest months are still ahead, August is usually worse and there are fewer trades.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It's already up to 84°, but the humidity is low again, so I won't complain! Yesterday, it was so humid early in the day that there was still dew on almost everything at 11:30 am. I didn't do anything in the garden until later - it was in the high 80s, and eventually hit 90°, but the humidity got down to 23%! That's unheard of, at this time of year, for this area, and it really wasn't that bad out there.

applestar
Mod

67°F with nice soaking rain this morning. The garden really needed this.

Last several days, even when I thoroughly watered the garden paths to muddiness, areas outside the immediate perimeter couldn’t soak up their share and ground surfaces remained dry and even starting to show fissures.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Yes! We finally got rain! 1.57" here. I was glad I hadn't gotten much rain before the garlic harvest, but it was really getting dry - yesterday, when I 'tilled a section of the garden, it was dry and dusty, except for where there was some moisture from my squash row, but not much! Yesterday, while I was out in the garden, it rained just enough to notice, but didn't register on the guage. This morning it was raining, when I was going to go to Aldi, just before 9 am, and I put it off until tomorrow - nothing I need that bad to go out in that. Humidity is still 90%, so despite the 73° out, it's still disgusting!

imafan26
Mod

It's still raining. It is 68 degrees and cloudy. I am not complaining. The rain means that I won't have to water as much and it is 68 degrees in July. The expected high is 78 degrees and more rain is expected later today and throughout the night. It seems wetter, but the rain gauge still registers about 0.10 inch a day. Showers remain light and intermittent as it has been the last few days. It might stop long enough for me to go outside to check things out. What this prolonged wet spell will do is pump up fungal diseases. I can already see some powdery mildew on one of the eggplant.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

About 3 am weather radio woke us up then a few minutes later the storm was here. 70 mph wind, lightning, thunder, & very heavy rain for a whole hour. Then the police arrived. Wind blew down 1 or our trees across the road and blocked the road. Workers arrived to cut up the tree they were gone in 20 minutes. Too dark to see anything yet. Its 4:45 pm now I am up too early, I'm going back to bed.

Forecast today. 2 pm more severe storms.

imafan26
Mod

The first night it hasn't rained in almost a week. It is 72 degrees now. The overnight low was 70. The expected high is 80, so it should be a pretty nice day. There are clouds on the windward side of the island so some of those showers may still slip over the mountain to my side briefly.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Our drought is over. We had 5 storms 1 after the other in about 2 hr 50 min.. Each storm was about 20 minutes of, lightning & thunder, hard rain, 60 mph wind. Storm 3 and 4 had 1" & 1.5" hail in several places but no hail here so far. Storm 5 more, heavy rain, wind, lightning. TV now has flash flood warnings, storms continue though out the night. We had 4" of rain 3 days ago, 2" before that, todays rain make another 5" so far and more to come tonight. Garden will be mud for several days.
Attachments
100_5161.JPG
100_5164.JPG

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”