Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Re: 2022 What's the Weather Like Where You Are?

About 6:15 pm it started raining harder & harder for 30 minutes. Not much lightning or wind. The garden turned into lake I can't see the soil only water. About 6:45 pm rain stopped. About 5 minutes later the lake was dried up. That is amazing soil soaked all that water up so fast.

imafan26
Mod

It was raining when I got up this morning. It is 84 degrees now and because the rain stopped, the water vapor is steaming off and it is muggy and feels more like 89 degrees. I did not water this morning, but I will go out around 5 p.m. and check to see if I need to top anything off. Even with rain, pots are small targets to hit.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It was 99°f yesterday afternoon (37°C).

For several hours before it set, the sun was a red orb in the western sky. This morning, the air quality has deteriorated to "unhealthy for sensitive groups." There have been times this morning when I couldn't see the sun for the smoke in the sky.

The official "trace" of rain for the month and the hottest average temperature ever recorded for August (140 years of records) isn't "doing it" for wildlife and forests. Fires in the NW are somewhat in the characteristic areas as previous, recent years. The border between California and Oregon is burning up. And, the eastern slope of the Cascade Mountains up near apple country has 2 fires.

There is a fire in the Selkirk Mountains north of here, I'm guessing that the smoke is coming from 3 locations. Hopefully, some of this smoke will move out of the area and tomorrow for a gardening day may be better.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

It has been raining off and on today. The temperature is 81 but it is very muggy. There is a small breeze or it would be worse. I fee like I am a lobster in a steamer. The UV index is very high.

I went to the garden at 7 a.m. The garden was wet, but I deep watered anyway. I did some weeding and cut down the hibiscus sabdarilla (roselle). It is an annual but it wilted in a week and it has been hot, so I don't think this is a natural death. For this time of year, the probable cause is more likely phythophtora. This part of the garden bed is regularly inundated with winter storms. The roots of this plant probably hit the high water mark. Strange how phytophtora strikes mostly in summer when there is not that much rain, and not so much in winter.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It drizzled rain all day, lightning & thunder some times. Very dark over cast sky.
Attachments
100_5705.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We were planning to go camping next weekend but now weather has changed from evening 30 minute storms to all day rain. Wait and see if weather changes we still might get to go camping. Strawberry plants seem to be liking this rain plants are growing faster. It was 75 degrees here yesterday but TV claimed 84 degrees in Nashville. It is raining very hard at the moment I can see strawberry plant rows are above the water level of the swamp.
Attachments
100_5708.JPG

imafan26
Mod

It rained last night, but it is clear now with a few clouds. Wind is 5 mph humidity 83% It is 73 degrees now and the high is going to be around 83. Another hot muggy day ahead.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Continuous rain all day. No wind, no lightning. no thunder. 2 more days of this. TV says, rain is from the hurricane. It has been a long boring day.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It was 43°f (6°C) this morning, here at home. Not at all an unusual low for this time of year; we have had frost by now, many years.

At 4:30 PM it is 81° (27C).

The air is terrible once again and at an Unhealthy level of 180. The Moon was orange this morning and the Sun has been red, thru the day.

I wish that we could tap in to some of Gary's rain.

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

On this morning 5 years ago it was 48 degrees. This morning it is 58 degrees F. Rain is over. Windows 10 has updated alt codes no longer work. 7 days of sun in the forecast maybe I can go out side today.

imafan26
Mod

It has been raining off and on the last couple of days. I have not had to water very much. Actually, I started to water in the morning yesterday and stopped because it started raining. I wish it felt cooler. Actually, the rain increases humidity and it feels muggier when it steams off. It got to 84 degrees yesterday. Two degrees more than predicted. It is still better than downhill where it is going to peak at around 89 degrees.
Today should be a drier day and I should be able to get out to see what has been happening in the yard, besides the weeds growing.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It was (and still is) another one of those "icky sticky" mornings (dewpoints in the 70s), but the humidity is supposed to lift sometime today, with a high in the low 80s. It rained .20" overnight, to add to that humidity - a little more than the .13" yesterday.

Later this week it is supposed to be getting much nicer - should be low humidity in the morning, so I can mow; lately the dew hasn't lifted until after noon sometime!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It is cold outside, 53° yesterday, 54° today. I can't go outside naked in this weather. LMFAO I'm glad 100° weather is gone. No rain in the forecast. I learned num Lock needs to be ON to use alt codes.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Low 60s this morning, though the humidity was still there some, so the lawn was still slightly wet, so I'll wait until tomorrow to mow. It is supposed to be in the 50s tomorrow morning, and even less humid, though Sunday it's supposed to start going up again, and next week back to summer - 10° above average!

imafan26
Mod

It was 72 degrees at nine o'clock this morning and it is 73 degrees now at 9:35 at night. It was another hot and muggy day. Tomorrow afternoon it is supposed to rain again. The "dead" grass in the front yard is starting to green up on the edges. The center still looks dead. I may have to take some runners and replant the middle. I have grass invading the border beds where it does not belong. Despite being so hot, humidity is so high that the containers are actually still wet, except for the smaller ones. They actually wilted after a day and a half. the cucurbits came back up , but the semposai did not, It is an older plant so it might have been too much stress for it. I did get 3 cuttings from it and enough leaves to make stuffed cabbage, so it still produced enough. Temperature wise it peaked around 84 degrees but with the humidity, it felt more like 89. I really did not want to be outside today. UV was still extreme.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

42° this morning, 87° later today and frost warnings next week. I'm not sure I believe frost next week, I don't remember ever having frost this early. Our first frost is usually about Nov 4. We are going camping in the mountains for 3 days its colder there and there is a full moon this weekend.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It's beautiful again today. This may be a local record for the latest 80°f (27°C).

Continuing with these above normal temperatures for awhile.

No frost yet (altho it has been down to 38°). Low 40's overnight ...

Steve

imafan26
Mod

It is 68 degrees and the sun is just coming up. It looks like it is going to be a beautiful sunrise. It has a slight orange glow. The glow usually means that there is probably a bit of volcanic haze. The winds have been light. There is supposed to be some rain this afternoon from convection clouds. The high will be around 82 so not a bad day at all.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

10 to 15C above normal (That's 18 to 27F). Into our 4th month of no significant rain, and none in sight. Here's the 10-day forecast; see the precipitation flatline.

Weather.png

Those highs of 29C equal about 85F, and in our valley it's usually a few degrees hotter than forecast. Salmon are dying by the hundreds of thousands, unable to get upstream to spawn. Some runs may be gone for ever. They are THE food source for many indigenous people. This is not funny.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TV says, there is a cold front moving in everything in blue will get scattered frost. I still don't believe we will get frost. Maybe higher elevations in the mountains but not here. We won't be home. I'm not sure if camp ground has WIFI or phone service.
Attachments
100_5892.JPG

imafan26
Mod

It was a nice day. It was 68 degrees this morning and now it is abut 85. It was sunny until the convection clouds built up so now it is overcast with a few big drops intermittently. There is low pressure system north of the Islands. It brought rain to the Big Island and parts of Maui county. It also knocked out the trades so the winds are light. Surf it up to 12 ft on the North Shore as a result of the passing system. This weekend there should be more moisture moving up the chain to the Western Islands so there may be more rain in the forecast for the next couple of days.

applestar
Mod

A reminder to myself to start subtracting 3°F from every overnight low forecast and another 1°F for the Side Yard Garden — Forecast was 41°F — this morning around 7AM, official temp was 38°F and The remote thermometer INSIDE the Sunflower Hoophouse (currently not closed up tight nor multi-layered) was 37°F :roll:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It was 34°F at home this morning tomato plants got frost bite. Nothing else had frost bite.

imafan26
Mod

It is drizzling a little and it is 71 degrees at 6:45 a.m. The wind is from the south so there is isn't much breeze. It makes it feel warmer than it is. The sunrise has an orange glow. This ony happens when there is vog. Vog is created by the volcanic haze that the winds carry from the Big Island on the southerly winds.
Attachments
20221011_061842r.jpg

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TV said, we have had no rain in 31 days. Tomorrow is 30% chance of rain. Burn ban in effect no one is allowed to burn anything not even a BBQ grill with charcoal or wood. Best part of this is, brown color grass is not growing and I don't have to mow grass. Todays high 75 & tomorrows high 80.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Gary Your weather sounds like mine was well into the fall - most of the region in a drought, and even when we'd occasionally get a storm, it was barely a storm! And I always said the best part was I didn't have to mow much! When remnants of Ian finally brought some rain, and my area got over 5", we were just barely over our deficit, and many areas still are still in a deficit. And rollercoaster temps, rarely around average, though these last two days have been nice, in the mid 70s.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Tornado storm warning turned out to be 3 minutes of rain & high wind.
Last edited by Gary350 on Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imafan26
Mod

It is unusually warm at 5 a.m. It is already 72 degrees. It is going up to the mid 80's. There is some rain and it is heavily overcast but there isn't any wind. It is muggier than usual for this time of the year.

Mauna Loa is stirring. The Big Island is on volcano alert.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We already had very early frost last week. Wednesday next week forecast is 29°F. We are having an early winter. West coast is still having a heat wave and drought. We are having a drought too. TV said, Mississippi river is dried up in places where barges can not go. Many years ago I paid no attention to first frost & last frost or first freeze or last freeze. I recall 6" of snow a week before Thanksgiving and 80° temperatures Dec 31 and 8" of snow last weekend of March and 85 degree weather 3rd week of Feb. and one year we had 5° temperatures for several weeks. We often have very cold freezing weather with snow in Nov then Dec is 75° summer weather. Our weather is getting crazy.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

imafan26
Mod

It is strange. There is only 10 degrees difference between day and night. It only dips down around 6-7 a.m. below 70 degrees. I guess it really is not that unusual for this time of year. It is usually hot and muggy in October because of the shift in the winds and and Pacific High moving away from us.

applestar
Mod

I’m not up to going outside this morning after yesterday’s all-day trampling around the garden to prep for possible frost.

But I can see some frost on the exposed front yard lawn from the window.

DDs and I dragged most of the container plants into the house in mandatory, forced Fall migration.

Some that can be allowed to go dormant before bringing inside were left out in sheltered locations and covered (or not), and some spent the night in the Patio Hoophouse.

Dd1 helped me secure another side-wall layer of thin poly on the Sunflower Hoophouse, and layer/cover all the vented poly low tunnels with floating covers for extra protection.

I had pain shooting down my right thigh to my knee yesterday evening, but I think I dodged straining the hip joint again — unless I’m still operating under pain remedies this morning…. Will try to take it easy today.

* Sunflower Hoophouse on left, Kitchen Garden Patio Hoophouse on right
Attachments
D025F80C-7058-4332-B489-073CE8299B03.jpeg

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Frost is strange stuff it was 29° yesterday morning and not much frost. Today 32° with a lot of frost in the front 1/2 off the yard but not near the house and no frost near the house in back yard but grass on south side of garden is very white with frost. TV says, colder tomorrow morning then 85° next week. It is 10° warmer in Alaska than here. 6 foot tall tomato plants survived the cold & frost they look good, how did that happen..

imafan26
Mod

It's raining! I'm glad. I found that my rain barrel valve had a fatal leak and half the rain barrels had emptied one drip at a time. The valve is over 10 years old. I just got it fixed yesterday. It has already refilled 1/4 of the barrels ( I have 2 barrels linked in tandem so 1/4 of a barrel is actually half of a 55 gallon barrel.) I need to turn the front barrel a couple of inches to get it under the gutter downspout.

It has been raining for about 3 hours. It is a slow soaking rain, so the good kind. Nothing floods and the ground is so thirsty it is just taking it all in. According to the weather thing on my computer the rain should have stopped half an hour ago, but it didn't. It is supposed to continue raining through the night and into tomorrow.

It did not rain this morning so I did water the yard, but it looks like I won't have to water tomorrow at this rate.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The weather has been so consistent that the Heavens must have finally decided to smoke us out.

Yesterday, the air through the afternoon was way into "Unhealthy for Some" from the wildfires. This is now about the 4th day. Wind has amounted to about zero mph. The air quality is worse on the coastal side of the Cascades, Seattle/Portland.

Here at home, the morning temperature has been consistently just a few degrees above freezing. A first frost is coming very late but things are about to change and I'm pleased because the smoke is oppressive!

There is a good chance of rain beginning tomorrow and rainstorms may continue through next week. A clear morning now would likely result in frost. There will be some wind but the forecasts don't look too bad. Snow level will stay above 3,000 feet but that may mean that the plows will have to be out on the highways crossing the Rockies. It would not surprise me if the Trick or Treaters have snow to walk through.

I realize that the fire situation must be old news for people living elsewhere but what might have been pleasant Fall weather has been quite unpleasant.

Steve
who was busy yesterday out in the garden gathering the last of the crops and bringing in the hoses & sprinklers. Koff

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Amazing weather: almost 4 months of hot drought; 10 to15 deg above normal and a bed-sweaty min. of 11C last night , but frost forecast 2 nights from now, or even tomorrow . In 2 days I'll go from trying to provide heat-struck plants with moisture, to protecting them from frost at night. It felt very strange today, digging them up and potting them for indoor warmth, in 25C sunshine.

The 'new norm'?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Vanisle,

A not so distant weather station had the most October days above 70°f in over 140 years (21°C+).

A nearer airport weather station had a 72° (22°C) day, yesterday. If that had happened today, it would have been a record high. Daily records have not been falling. It is just that there has been consistent warm temperatures. And, so very, very little rain. It has been the reverse of Spring, with all of those weeks of clouds and cool weather.

Garden-wise, crops were delayed but had sufficient days to grow. Arid conditions took their toll, however.

Steve

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Air Quality is finally well into the Good. ...sigh...

We had about a 1/2" of rain. It's 39°f (4°C) outdoors and I'm surprised that it is that cool with all this humidity but then, what do I remember about humidity ;)? Anyway, it's late October with long nights of darkness.

A 90% chance of rain on Monday and I just bet that we see a sprinkling of snow before and after and finally, a first frost.

AppleStar, what do you think about the sciatic nerve being the cause of your leg pain? I have permanent damage and the pain was imagined, all the way to my foot from the lower back. Regardless, be careful! And, give some thought to using a hand truck instead of lifting or dragging heavy pots to protect from frost. I'll be needing to air-up the tires on my hand truck!

Steve

applestar
Mod

Thanks @digitS. Yes sciatic nerve is definitely one aspect — I use a compression hip (low waist) brace belt which seems to help when those shooting pains are active. (My OT friend sent me an osteo-nerve chart tracing the lumbar/sciatic nerves that connect from each vertebra to part of the leg, knee, ankle, foot — pretty interesting to see)

I also found out recently that weak tendons and soft joints with inflammation are hithertofore — ha! a fun vocabulary word! :wink: — unrecognized by myself symptoms of a syndrome I suffer from. (I always thought I *just* have arthritis …which I do, but apparently the other is a slightly different beast)

— this is all daunting and frustrating since I was pretty athletic as a youngster and in my teens and tweens — makes me feel my age. :?

BUT! Not to worry, I am currently not *allowed* to try to move heavy containers — my DDs have taken up the task using PotLifter straps, pot bases with wheels, and yes, hand trucks.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:54 pm
Thanks @digitS. Yes sciatic nerve is definitely one aspect — I use a compression hip (low waist) brace belt which seems to help when those shooting pains are active. (My OT friend sent me an osteo-nerve chart tracing the lumbar/sciatic nerves that connect from each vertebra to part of the leg, knee, ankle, foot — pretty interesting to see)

I also found out recently that weak tendons and soft joints with inflammation are hithertofore — ha! a fun vocabulary word! :wink: — unrecognized by myself symptoms of a syndrome I suffer from. (I always thought I *just* have arthritis …which I do, but apparently the other is a slightly different beast)

— this is all daunting and frustrating since I was pretty athletic as a youngster and in my teens and tweens — makes me feel my age. :?

BUT! Not to worry, I am currently not *allowed* to try to move heavy containers — my DDs have taken up the task using PotLifter straps, pot bases with wheels, and yes, hand trucks.

applestar, I hope this information is helpful.

12 years ago I was in so much back & leg pain I was in a wheel chair for several months. One doctors called it arthritis and told me not to lift anything heavier than a 2 liter drink bottle. I went to a few doctors that wanted to do surgery with no tests, I said NO! I had a big strap to wear around my back that reduced the pain. Then I found an honest doctor that did test he said, all the disks in your back are gone that is why your 2" shorter than you use to be. Your old muscles have spasms when you use them that is what causes all your pain. You need physical therapy. I did not have much hope for physical therapy but it turned out to be a miracle cure. After going to about 10 different doctors I finally found out what is wrong and how to fix it. We switched insurance companies 3 times they refuse to pay then we found Humana. Humana policy is to keep you healthy it saves them money, they paid for everything. I went to physical therapy 3 times every week. It was so painful just to get to physical therapy but I walked out of there 1 hour later felling like I was 20 years younger. Physical therapy lasted several weeks then I was given stretching exercises to do at home every day. I hate doing these stretching exercise but its a miracle cure. Sometimes I stop doing my exercises then I am in pain again so bad I can barely get from the living room to the kitchen. Sometimes I wake up at 3 pm in pain if I do exercises in bed for 10 minutes I can sleep 3 more hours. I have a $15 Tens Machine, if I do certain things in the garden that causes back & leg pain, pain is gone in 20 minutes with the Tens unit. Twisting movements using the garden hoe makes my back hurt. The worse thing I can do to my back is set in a chair that causes muscles to tighten up, then when I stand up to walk muscles spasm and cause pain. Aspercream & Tylenol help with pain too.

Today I hauled mulch from the mulch pile to garden row 10. I carried 2 five gallon buckets of mulch each time to dump in the row total of 18 buckets. I had to rest 5 minutes between each 2 buckets. Then I tilled in the mulch and went into the house. Getting old sucks, it takes me all day to do 1 hour of work.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Prybar

Been reading about the back aches.
I'm with you.
Bad here as well. Had a x-ray, they said I had a tilted pelvis.
My friend said, hey do you carry a billfold? Yep, in my back pocket, for 50 years.
I now carry a thin one in my front. Haven't been back for a year now. Was going twice a month for adjustments. Just saying. You never know.
Sometimes it can be a small thing causing a big problem.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”