applestar
Mod

Re: 2022 What's the Weather Like Where You Are?

Having the PRRFECT view of the lunar eclipse from the bedroom window, since that big tree is gone :-()

…just a sliver left now…

applestar
Mod

For me, eclipse always re-affirms the 3-dimensional, special awareness of our solar system … and just how tiny we are in this universe….

Last sliver, and the SPHERICAL moon is visible already. Binocs best way to see.
Attachments
D46EB036-7395-4404-B145-13C86DC7211C.jpeg

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I had to open the South Window and lean out to see the moon :). It was easier to walk out to the top of the steps to the backyard and look up. Altho, it's 18°f (-8°C) right now. Pretty moon, especially as it was just beginning to brighten again.

A Winter Wonderland outdoors after yesterday's little snowstorm. There was quite a bit of wind so it blew around. A not-too-distant airport reported 4" fell.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

It is 73 degrees about 10:45 a.m. It has been overcast for days. Last night there was a brief period of heavy rain that only lasted a few minutes. I haven't seen much of the sun, moon, or the stars for a few days now. But, they are out there somewhere.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It got to over 60°, which it wasn't supposed to today, but it is already down to 49°, and 39° is the forecast low tonight. Since it will get close to freezing in about a week, I have to turn my valve off to outside, and go out soon and open the faucets and drain my pipes. Nothing I really need water for anymore.

applestar
Mod

Apparently, as of Sunday night, it’s going to be WINTER …

(I have to subtract 3°F from the forecast for the overnight lows in my garden) I predict Sunday~(Frost)~ Monday~(Hard frost and Freeze)~Tues for sure.
Attachments
6BA66CAD-1A4E-4389-81E4-2483A6009E71.jpeg

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Today was another gorgeous day, so I got my electric leaf blower, with the bag, and sucked up 12 bags of ground up leaves, and used some to add to the layer of leaves on my garlic. There are still a few leaves coming down, so I didn't finish; there are actually a lot more to clean up, but I always wait until I seen not a single leaf on the trees, to finish! It is supposed to be very windy tomorrow - aftereffects of Nicole - as well as 1-2" of rain. So I wanted to get the leaves off of certain areas, before the rain hits. It was up to 71° today, and 2 more days of that forecast, then 51° for a high Sunday, then down in the 40s for highs!

imafan26
Mod

Aw, I missed the eclipse. It occurred from 10 p.m. to almost 4 a.m. and it has been cloudy, so I was probably not even looking for it. I am glad you got to see it though.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:39 pm
Aw, I missed the eclipse. It occurred from 10 p.m. to almost 4 a.m. and it has been cloudy, so I was probably not even looking for it. I am glad you got to see it though.
I woke up 4 minutes before the peak of full eclipse at 5 am there was nothing to see, sky was dark gray over cast weather for a week. Today is the first day of full sun all day. Yesterday we had 2 hours of sun. Coldest part of winter we have a lot of 40 to 50° days.
Attachments
100_6228.JPG

applestar
Mod

Thanks @imafan! We got lucky this time. I think I missed the last one due to weather.

Nicole remnant is supposed to play havoc later today.

imafan26
Mod

Stay safe always. The high clouds are still around so there are only a few places where the sun's rays poke through the clouds. We are supposed to be back to tradewind weather, so we will be back to the usual windward and mauka showers overnight and early in the morning with mostly drier days. This is pretty dry for the rainy season, but the cool weather and overnight rain is keeping the soil from drying out very fast so only the smallest pots and the pot bound ones really need to be watered. It is 70 degrees now. The predawn light is just coming up. Sunrise will be at 6:41 a.m. My cats' stomachs is a better clock. It does not matter what time of year it is, they are always on time telling me to feed them.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We have frost & snow flurries forecast for early Sunday morning. 26°F forecast for Sun & Mon morning. 30° all next week.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imafan26
Mod

It is overcast with light intermittent rain. The lows are around the low is around 65 degrees. It is 77 degrees now.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TV channel 4 says it is 24°F. Our home electronic digital thermometer 2 feet from the north size of our house says 24°F. Yard is white, it looks like snow but it is heavy frost. Water that comes from the cold water faucet feels cold as ice. Clock says, 7 am. Potato plants are not going to like this.

applestar
Mod

Yowza!

I consider 24°F to be a milestone number — just like 32°F and 28°F.

I’m afraid you’re right that there will be significant effects. It all depends on how warm the ground was from temperatures and clear weather/sun before this.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It was down to 36° at my back thermometer overnight - already up to 54° there, but that's in the sun early! It's only 45° out of the sun, at 11 am. I saw 24° forecast one night, late in the 10 day forecast Saturday, which is why I harvested everything that would kill, and only thing left is garlic and cold weather crops.

imafan26
Mod

It is 75 degrees now and sunny for the first time in a week. I can actually see the blue sky. it will probably get up to about 80 today. It will probably rain during the night and early mornings which is the typical pattern for this time of the year. It did rain overnight. Tomorrow wetter weather is expected with an 80% chance of rain somewhere but more likely on the windward side with some spillover to the leeward side. This is typical tradewind weather for me. The cooler weather and shorter days are drying the pots out slower, so I don't have to water everything and I can go a day and a half on some things. This humidity though does make it harder to mop the floors because it will take a longer time to dry.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The snow has remained all week ... except where the intermittent sunlight reaches it.

Temperatures are barely above freezing during the afternoons and not always much below freezing in the mornings. Coldest has been 14°f (-10°C). Forecasts looks like we will have another week of the same before there are any changes.

The Weather Service has us down for above normal Winter precipitation in this neck of the woods. I'm hoping for that but I'm not driving to & from work every day. It will be a blessing for the evergreen forests and rivers after such a dry Summer as it was a blessing the last 2 Winters. With so many months of drought each year, it worries me that we will have below-normal Winter precipitation. Fingers Crossed!

Steve

imafan26
Mod

It is 77 degrees now at almost 5 p.m. It was a nice sunny day with good trade winds.
I looked at the extended forecast. It looks like la Nina will persist until around February then transistion to ENSO neutral period. It means a warmer, drier southern US. For me it means a warmer and drier winter with more rain coming later in the season (November-March) but overall less precipitation than normal for the season. While the weather for me is nice and comfortable. Less precipitation during the rainy season and our ongoing water issues especially with the Navy contamination of the main well for the city, is probably going to mean, I will be watering more than I usually have to at this time of the year. My water bill is going to be worse than normal. However, considering that people in colder climates are looking at paying higher prices for heating and the possibility of rolling blackouts. I am glad for me at least, heat is free.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It is a little below average today, but getting way below for the rest of the 7 day forecast - one day 41 for the high, and 56° is average! And it is supposed to get down into the 20s a couple of times for the first time. Not looking forward to it.

applestar
Mod

It always gets a little bit colder here — we went down to 28°F on Tuesday and the forecast predicts mid to low 20°s for the next 4 overnight-mornings.

Probably will stay just above freezing this morning.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

25°F here this morning. No frost on anything. TV claims 44° is the high today & sunny. Colder Sat & Sun morning. MI relatives said they have 6 ft of snow in Alpena MI and 12 ft is forecast, glad we are not there. LOL.
Attachments
100_6337.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

One of my favorite stories are the “Cat Who …” series by Lillian Jackson Brown. I had guessed on my own that the stories are based somewhere along the Lake Huron shore mitten of Michigan and later found out it was Battle Axe, but I’ve been thinking from your descriptions of your relatives’ weather reports that they might be close by, too. LOL

imafan26
Mod

It is 66 degrees now at 5 a.m. it is actually still getting cooler. It will drop down to about 65 degrees in about an hour. The coldest part of the night is actually in the predawn hour. It will be a mostly sunny day with a high for me about 78 degrees. Downhill, it is 73 degrees about 7 degrees warmer, and will peak at about 87 degrees. That is just a little over 4 miles away. What a difference elevation and micro climates make!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Gary, I took a look at Alpena's location. Wow. Top of the "mitten" and on Thunder Bay of Lake Huron. There are climates and weather. I think that it must be a very difficult climate to live with on Thunder Bay! (Wikipedia notes "a substantial number of shipwrecks.")

Yesterday, the afternoon temperature here didn't rise above freezing.

Same old/same old. We have the advantage with living within a few hundred miles of the Pacific and yet being further north (by about 3° latitude) than Alpena ;). If the ocean air can find its way thru some very high mountains, it moderates the weather. Those mountains to the west, north and the east help to control the weather, also.

Supposedly a windy day with more snow coming Thanksgiving week. If you are planning a drive across those mountains ... you may decide that the Canadians have the right idea. Canada's Thanksgiving is in October ;).

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

21°F again this morning, 21° yesterday and 21° forecast for 2 more days. It has been warning up to low 40s every day. 62° forecast for Thursday high. Yesterday I was outside almost all day I get more work done in colder weather, hot weather drains my energy. Brush around the property line makes a great privacy fence but when it gets 20 feet tall in places it has to be cut down and hauled away before it gets out of control. Anything small enough to drive lawn mower over it gets mulched and blown into the garden.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

21°F is the magic number its been 21° for 4 days in a row every morning according to Channel 2 & 4. My home thermometer says 19° this morning. Garden soil is frozen hard as cement. TV says temperatures are 20° below average for this time of the year. Its funny MI relatives had almost 12 ft of snow then yesterday evening snow was gone. LOL. 30 mph wind coming across the lake blew all the powder snow away. Marc said snow feels like being sand blasted in the face in 30 mph wind and the lake has already frozen ice 6" thick, lake has never frozen that thick so soon. Marc said, we can see green grass in the yard again, I wonder who has all our snow.

imafan26
Mod

It is warming up it is 70 degrees right now at 7:30 a.m. It rained overnight; the roads are still wet, but is clearing now. It should be a mostly sunny day. The high will be around 79 degrees.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It got down to 27° out there last night; 24° one of the two nights before - lowest here, so far. Still only supposed to get to 44° - 10° below average, but 7° above yesterday! And I still see the trees swaying from that wicked wind. It definitely feels like winter.

applestar
Mod

Yep. So even though it got really cold Monday morning, we never got that extended cold in low 20’s that @Gary350 got further south of us… and it seems like temps are moving back up to normal levels for this time of the year at 50’s/±32°~30’sF for now.

@Gary350, the 12 ft of snow “magically” disappearing overnight due to gusts of wind sounds fantastic! I know this presented/is presenting serious problems for many, but I have to admit there is humor in that. :>

I’m guessing they lucked out because they’re further north and west of the lake (colder = freeze-dry powdery snow)?

…I think all that stuff has passed north of us….

imafan26
Mod

It is 66 degrees with light rain. The wind has not kicked up yet on this Thanksgiving morning.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

40° & FOG. Fog is like being lost in the Twilight Zone. Can't see the street, can't see any houses, we are the only people left on earth. LOL.

applestar
Mod

Mauna Loa eruption is in the headlines notifications — hope you are OK @imafan!

imafan26
Mod

It is warm 72 degrees. The skies are overcast and it has been raining intermittently but so far no heavy rain. There is a flash flood warning till 8 p.m. Most of the front coming from the south (and that is also why it is warm and relatively windless now), is passing over Molokai, lanai, and Maui. They actually need the rain since they have the most severe drought status. We might get more rain later or overnight.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Our rain season has started. We have 2" to 3" of rain in the forecast every day for a week. Nothing growing in the garden but mud. 23°F this morning warming up to 49°.

imafan26
Mod

It is a nice sunny day. It is 72 degrees at noon. The monthly siren tests are going off right now. I got an early start doing garden chores. Winds are from the NW at 8 mph. There are a few dark clouds but very little rain is expected until the middle of next week.

imafan26
Mod

It is 76 degrees now and overcast. The night temperature is around 67 degrees. It is supposed to rain tonight....somewhere.

At our Christmas party we were talking about how the weather forecasters hardly ever say for sure that it is going to rain. They only give percentages, unless there is a big system that cannot possibly miss us. They are much better at predicting mostly sunshine with windward and mauka showers. They can be right about that about 90% of the time.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Well, it's not yet 2023 but ...

This may be one of those Winters when I can look around on March 1st and say, "Some of this white stuff is the same as what was here th first week of November." We have had a few afternoon highs above freezing, and it has only been in the single digitS' a few mornings, but a snow-covered yard and garden has been a constant. Of course, the ground is frozen.

Fortunately, there hasn't been so much snow that I have trouble figuring out where to put it. The berm at the end of the driveway isn't of Mount Everest heights! The snow plow showed up too late to do much good on the road -- a heavy sheet of ice.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

Mauna Loa's third fissure is still putting out. The lava on the flats have fanned out and I think they said it has created a wall about 60 ft high that continues to inch toward Saddle Road. For now, 3000-4000 people are estimated to be stopping on the bypass old Saddle Road that was set up as a viewing area every day/night. Some people are causing problems by hiking onto the lava so the Military and local police are monitoring and ticketing people doing that. It is a strange juxtaposition. On one side fire from Mauna Loa and turn around and you can see the snow on Mauna Kea at the same time.

I am on Oahu, not the Big Island, so I only get to see this on the news. The earthquakes associated with the movement of lava is not felt here and some of them are deep and are only being recorded by the USGS instruments.

Saddle Road is still open and being used by the local residents to go to to the other side of the island. Once the lava overtakes the highway, people will have to make a 2.5 hour detour to take the coastal highway to get to the other side.

In the meantime, it did rain last night. It is 73 degrees now and it is just starting to get lighter. It is still overcast but should be a good day. There are pockets of showers but most of that is falling on the ocean.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Got to 60° again today, and wet again, on and off.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”