Gary350
Super Green Thumb

2022 What's the Weather Like Where You Are?

NO storms & NO rain last night. 7 am it is 70° & windy, blue sky with groups of very dark gray clouds. Plants think it is spring air is full of pollen it has been 60° & 70° every since we had frost & freeze first 2 weeks of Nov.

10:30 am it is 75° and wind is blowing 25 mph gust to 30+. Clouds are moving along very fast wind must be blowing 80 mph up there. Wind sound is very loud it sounds like a none stop freight train all morning. I took pictures & video. Facebook has changed it won't let me copy a video link to paste here. Clouds are moving so fast they are completely out of the picture in 25 seconds.
Attachments
100_3317.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:36 am, edited 5 times in total.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

5 degrees F with 25 mph winds gusting to 35 mph, snowing with up to 5 inches of snow (down from 10 inches predicted last night); temperatures dropping to -10 tonight. A really good day to stay out of the really bad weather.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I don't know how I'm going to keep my garden alive through this week. There's more nights of bad cold. I don't know if its supposed to frost, snow, what. I don't want to lose my heads of broccoli I feel like I need to go ahead and pick them off.

applestar
Mod

@tomatonut, do you have garden fleece / floating cover / agribon/ non-woven cloth ?

My plan if in same situation and only temporary protection can be made ready —

Use directly on the plants pinned down or tied down to prevent flapping - If close to 30°F with frost or snow.

Add clear poly/plastic over the fleece/floating cover if upper 20’s.

Go ahead and harvest ahead of time if below 26.

Alternatively, cover each plant with a large bucket or tub weighed down with rock/brick or tied down.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:35 am
I don't know how I'm going to keep my garden alive through this week. There's more nights of bad cold. I don't know if its supposed to frost, snow, what. I don't want to lose my heads of broccoli I feel like I need to go ahead and pick them off.
My broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce, bac choy, all do good down to 15°F. Don't worry about it until it gets below 15°. Can you cover your plants with 5 gallon buckets or 30 gallon trash cans. Cardboard boxes might work. Warm soil holds heat I have saved plants down to 27°.

Weather radio went off. Wind blew patio furniture over and off into the yard. Sky is black to the south west. Tornado warnings on TV. Wind gusts to 85 mph in KY. Wow glad that is not here.

imafan26
Mod

It is 70 degrees and it is still raining. It is localized and it will be raining off and on like yesterday. I should not need to water the garden today.

Tomato Nut, I hope you can save some of your harvest.

Tornadoes in January! It is so unusual. The atmospheric river is a mixed blessing/curse. It does put out fires that have been raging. Heavy snowstorms make traveling by car or air very dangerous, but the snow and rain are filling empty reservoirs and they need more of it. California farmers were looking at a bleak year with the drought forcing them to plant less. When the snow melts over the burn scarred land, mudslides and flooding are likely to happen if anyone is in its path. Heatwaves in December! It doesn't even get that hot here in summer. Mother nature is definitely making a statement.

Climate change is here. We have to adapt because, you know, the only thing you can do if mother nature wants a clean slate, is to prepare for what you can, or just get out of the way.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I already picked off my 3 little broccoli heads. Apparently I won't be getting any rain it all went north of me. Wind is strong and will be even worse tomorrow. When I cover my plants I'll have to put bricks, rocks and anything else heavy on top of everything to keep it from blowing away. I probably won't sleep tonight worrying about everything. I despise the wintertime, its too stressful.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:16 pm
I already picked off my 3 little broccoli heads. Apparently I won't be getting any rain it all went north of me. Wind is strong and will be even worse tomorrow. When I cover my plants I'll have to put bricks, rocks and anything else heavy on top of everything to keep it from blowing away. I probably won't sleep tonight worrying about everything. I despise the wintertime, its too stressful.
Leave the broccoli plants they will grow new heads. Don't worry until temperatures bet below 15°F. Feed them fertilizer.

applestar
Mod

I agree — without the more delicate heads (flowerbuds) broccoli is more winter hardy. The larger leaves might get whipped around in severe storms but they should be OK

…I wanted to watch the New Year’s day sun rise this morning, but it was drizzling and foggy with cloud cover so dense there wasn’t even an outline of the sun to indicate where it was as it morning light increased enough to see by.

If it weren’t for the fact that the temperature been in the absolutely unseasonable 50’s°F all day, all of this might have been Hatsu Yuki — first snowy day of the new year….. :?

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:09 pm
I agree — without the more delicate heads (flowerbuds) broccoli is more winter hardy. The larger leaves might get whipped around in severe storms but they should be OK
[/quote

Whoops, I have already harvested the heads. I don't have any garden fleece. But I have 3 foam insulation boards and plastic. I will use multiple layers if necessary to protect my stuff. I may still have an old tablecloth somewhere....

applestar
Mod

Crazy weather — 60°F now, going up to 62°F, and looking at -44°F drop by Tuesday morning…. And this is the forecast— actual it will be a couple of degrees lower….

…possible bit of snow tomorrow.
Attachments
97EB164F-96DC-4851-BF33-3D6D00DF8D6A.jpeg

imafan26
Mod

Crazy weather swings everywhere. It is 68 and cloudy. We have a flash flood watch till 6 p.m. today. The rain has continued to be intermittent but hard when it does rain. The ground is soaked from so many days of it. On New Year's day there was some flooding on the windward side that was knee deep and the water was backing up into yards along Enchanted Lakes. The city crew dredged the outlet at Kailua beach to get the water to recede. There were rockfalls on to the road that was cleared. So far, along the gulch where I have to travel, the mitigation fencing is holding and there have not been any rocks that have gotten past the fencing.

My lanai did have some water coming in from the rain (about 4 ft into the lanai), but it receded by itself. It was raining something like 2 inches an hour. My back yard does drain, but my patio is nearly level with the yard and with the additional water coming off the roof, a couple of inches of rain an hour takes a little while for the water to work its way out. This system is moving down the island chain and will move Eastward to the other islands over the next couple of days. It will be raining for most of the week.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It was 60°F this morning at 7am. Temperature have been dropping all day. Forecast tonight, 1" to 2" of snow with low of 26° tomorrow morning. 48 potato plant tops in 1 row were looking good 1 hour ago, tomorrow they be dead tops. Soil is too warm for snow to stick. If it snows in TN it will be a ghost town tomorrow with NO cars on the streets.

8:22 pm it is snowing.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

28°F here it does not feel cold. TV News says we have 7" of snow but my measurement shows 5½" of snow. We probably did get 7" some of it melted because it was too warm. It was 34° when it started snowing at 8:22 pm. Snow looks so nice. TV News shows lots of trees broken down because of the heavy snow. Driveway, sidewalks, streets are not slippery but bridges an over passes are ice. Potato row that had 48 nice potato plants yesterday are probably frozen now. This is a very nice snow streets are not slick so I am going for a bicycle ride around the neighbor hood an the new subdivisions. TV says, Wed it will be 12° wait an see if that kills broccoli. Funny pictures look like old black & white photos.
Attachments
100_3346.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:23 am, edited 6 times in total.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Last night it got down to 23 and frosted. So cold!!!! And my poor plants!! I'll post pics on my thread so y'all can see the damage done. I don't think my greens survived, even after covering them.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It stopped snowing, and I only got about an inch on the walks, since most melted. Only took about 12 minutes for me to shovel, then salt, the steps and the walks - took longer than that to prepare for it!

Looking at the snow around my deck, and the table there, we definitely got well over 2" (which is still very little, compared to many of you!) - I'm lucky it has been so warm, to heat up the walks and roads, as it didn't build up much there.

applestar
Mod

It snowed again a little bit and I’ll see how my garden managed once the sun rises. But so far the hoop houses and low tunnels have withstood the small amount of snow accumulation. The insulating snow (?) and maybe the freeze/thaw dynamics have increased the relative thermal holding capacities of the Sunflower House and Patio Hoop House to about +4~5°F internal above the external outside temperature. :()
applestar wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:09 pm
…I wanted to watch the New Year’s day sun rise this morning, but it was drizzling and foggy with cloud cover so dense there wasn’t even an outline of the sun to indicate where it was as it morning light increased enough to see by.

If it weren’t for the fact that the temperature been in the absolutely unseasonable 50’s°F all day, all of this might have been Hatsu Yuki — first snowy day of the new year….. :?
I was able to take in the kind of view I wanted to see on NYD morning YESTERDAY :D
Attachments
E89860F6-B538-4038-AB6A-653722610DB6.jpeg

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TV claimed we will have 4" of snow & 18° at 6 am this morning BUT it is 32° and no snow at 7 am.

imafan26
Mod

The sun finally came out. I went out for the first time in 5 days. I actually felt the heat from the sun on my hand coming through the car window. I ran some errands. I paid my phone bill, got the car oil changed, and put gas in the car. It did not need it yet, I only put in a little over 4 gallons. The gas station was relatively quiet and I would rather not have to get gas on a weekend. It was 61 degrees last night and today's high was 77 degrees. It is 73 degrees now. It is getting cloudy from the afternoon heating and it may rain a little bit or not. I did get to go out to survey the damage in the garden from the rain. There are some fungal and bacterial spot issues, but all in all the garden came out mostly intact. I did have to fix the shade house support. The wind shook the connections loose and some of the orchids fell off the tree.

Nothing like the snow and ice that so many people other people have had to deal with. We just have a few rockslides, broken water mains, and a lot of pot holes to dodge. Some temporary waterfalls made the news yesterday. It was on the side of the island that is usually very dry.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

13° here this morning. Yesterday it snowed another 5". State Troopers said, there are an average of 14 wrecks every mile on all 3 interstate highways traffic is not moving. 1000s of people slept in there vehicles last night state troopers are making sure everyone has fuel to keep warm. City streets have 1000s of abandon vehicles where people slide off the road and got stuck. TN law allows cars to be abandon for only 48 hours. Salt on the streets does not work below 15°. TN has an average of 1 snow every 5 years, snow like this paralyzes the whole state. Today snow has become ice streets are worse than yesterday. TV said it will warm up to 27° today. When I put food in the bird feeders 200 birds come. Lots of Black birds & Blue Jays seem to come from no where little birds don't get much food.

12 noon it has warmed up to 19°F
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

A little more snow than last time - between 3 and 4 inches. But this time it's fluffy, and easy to clean from the car, and I think a lot melted this time from the walks due to the previous salting. And the sun is out, now that the snow is out of here. And above freezing already - 34° at 10 am. The bad thing is the wind - up to 35 mph gusts, while I was out there.

imafan26
Mod

I hope you are o.k. Applestar and the others living in the Northeast as yet another snowstorm has come your way.

For myself, we have a break in the weather. It is 74 and sunny. Night temperatures are 61 degrees. There are four rain bands coming in the next week. The first one will come tonight, but it is very light so only a few sprinkles are expected. It looks like we have rain forecast for every other day. Not a bad way for us to get it as the breaks between the rain will let things dry out. However, bad time to be in the water. Brown water alerts are up almost everywhere and sharks have been sighted at some of the beaches. This is also normal, the sharks come for a free lunch looking for anything that got washed out from the streams with the rain.

Temps in the low sixties are hot for a lot you, but it is cold for me. Winter clothes are an extra blanket, a jacket, and an umbrella. Maybe socks in the house.

applestar
Mod

We’re OK here @imafan. Thanks 😊

We might have had 3 inches. My hoop houses and low tunnels held, even the Bottle “Shack” (though not pictured).
9C8BDD63-83CC-4566-961C-1738ADC9B696.jpeg
My impression is that the Sunflower House which I wondered if I’d made with too high-arching roof, might be benefitting from the steep roof angle and managing to slide most of the snow off. The commercial Patio Hoop House has had a slightly dimpled accumulation on the roof, but it stays warmer due to sheltered location and house and brick patio as thermal mass, it was able to shrug it off.

There was some accumulation on the street but the township only needed quick swipe with a pickup truck with a plow to handle it…Considering how much of the snow piled up on the tree branches, I was sure glad that they removed that dying curve side tree out front next to the driveway.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

We are down to 3 inches. There has been snow on the ground since the 16th of December. Not much, every few days there would be another light snowfall. On the 6th, there was 5 inches of new snow. The next morning, I woke up to rain with wind gusts of more than 40 mph through the day.

The rain stopped in the afternoon and winds died away overnight with the sky clearing and temperatures dropping well below freezing. With the melting, the roads were a mess, now they will be ice and frozen slush.

The Cascade Mountain passes are closed. There had been over 6' of snow cover in the area of the I-90 pass before the expected 2' falling on the 6th. There were avalanches, we are told. Trees came down with the snow and have to be moved out of the way before those massive snowblowers can cut their way through. (I wonder how the operators can keep track of where they are on the pavement or moving off of it ...)

The interstate just inside the Montana border was closed overnight. The Rockies didn't receive as much snow from this storm, however.

This northern area of the Pacific Northwest may have moved out of the "severe" drought classification with this storm. I guess that is yet to be determined.

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

12° this morning.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Warmer than usual today. Nice little thunderstorm going on out there. Lots of rumbling to house-shaking thunder and some rain. Not too breezy right now, seems calm. No lightening that I've seen. It won't last long, it's just a blob on the radar amongst smaller spots of scattered rain. Current temperature is 60.

As soon as it stops raining I'll go pick some lettuce and pick up some foam boards my uncle found in his chicken house refuse and wash them off before storing them until the next predicted cold night. Tomorrow will be warmish to with another chance of rain.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

20° here, warming up to 40. TV weather is showing a Nashville TN traffic cam, cars drive down the road doing the speed limit when they come to the curve vehicles spin out an wreck. People drive like ice is not slick. Slow down.

imafan26
Mod

It is 64 degrees and overcast, but not much rain is expected today. I'm glad I don't have to deal with the icy conditions you have. I am cold enough!

Surf's up! There are high surf warnings on the north shore. Surf is up to 40 ft in some locations. Big Surf draws a lot of crowds, and surfers in January. However, it can be dangers to be too close to the beach because of the chance that shore breaks can drag people in if they get too close. It comes at a time when ocean safety is having a hard time manning the lifeguard towers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8oYTHNPHiQ

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Woke up to 35°f (2°C) and rain. It will take awhile to melt the snow that I've piled beside the driveway from when it first began to show up on 16 December but complete melting might be on its way. It's not that we ever had much. Fortunately, the nearby mountain "snotel" (snow tell ;)) reports are good. They are just a little more than 100% of normal for NE Washington, right down through Idaho.

The Cascades have LOTS of snow! Of the 3 mountain passes, 2 are closed. One had just opened and they may yet reopen. Rain is also falling on some of that area but - it's rain on top of snow. Avalanche danger!

Not as much snow into Montana so highways may be good in that direction. We will see.

Okay, I looked at snotel for the Cascades. Weeeelll doggies: 120, 140, 160 percent above normal!

Steve

imafan26
Mod

It is 75 degrees and it just started raining. This rain will be brief. The rain is caused by convection heating of the land during the day, and with very little wind, it results in brief afternoon showers.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

It's a disgusting day out there: cloudy, 44 degrees and wind blowing that looks like 50mph. I'll be staying indoors today for sure.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My feet are freezing cold I am putting on my wool socks an going back outside. No wind here 39°. Our weather has been down graded from 8" to 3" of snow starting at midnight and be over about 6 am.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Right now it's 24°, at almost 2 pm. Looks like it got down to 14° overnight, and was still 16° after 9 am, so this was the coldest night this season, though tonight is supposed to be colder. Wind is not pleasant, so I'm not going anywhere! Yesterday was close to 50°, and Thursday did hit 50°, and I noticed that the parsley outside still looked fine!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

5 am all 4 motion detector security lights came on an woke us up. 34,800 Lumen lights shinning on big quarter size snow flakes look like several 1000 quarter size mirrors reflecting light. I wish I could get a photo of mirror looking snow floats but auto focus tries to take pictures of window glass. When big snow flakes hit the side wake they splatter like gravy. Sun is 1 hour late 7 am sun was just beginning to filter through the very thick clouds. Sidewalk & drive are starting to look a little bit white color, slush looks like it is 1" thick. Our weather forecast has changed again this slow moving storm has stopped an parked here to stay all day they claim it is going to snow 5" and storm won't move out of our area until midnight. 9" to 11" of snow forecast for higher elevation 30 miles east of us. It is still only 34° forecast is for all this slush to freeze to ice tonight. TN people freaked out yesterday when they heard the snow forecast then mobbed the grocery stores. 6 pm TV news was showing empty store shelves. Dog & cat are staying inside their heated condo it is 75° inside there. Dog sticks her head out sometimes to look around. TV is showing a lot of snow in Nashville 30 miles north west of us. Heavy snow is already breaking down trees. Channel 4 has a different forecast than channel 2, warming up to 37° an snow ends at 4 pm.

It snowed hard 4 hours then rained 4 hours, now it is snowing again, it is 36°.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

8°F early this morning here. 🥶

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Down to 12° outside here, overnight, and still 18° now - definitely the coldest yet. Supposed to snow later today, but temps going up to around 40°, and rain taking over, melting all of it, so I won't complain!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It's just starting to snow here, around 4:40 pm, after getting up to 31°. Eventually it's supposed to turn to rain, and melt everything - I'm lucky here, compared to many of you.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

By 11:00 last night, all the snow had been melted by the rain. As I was going to sleep around midnight, it sounded like a summertime storm, minus the thunder and lightning. I got easily over 2" of rain (and melted snow), when I checked a bucket I had on my deck, that only had ¼" before. I'm lucky that wasn't snow! It's 37° now, so not freezing, but it was up to 45° overnight, before that storm went out.

Hope all of you are safe, and still have power!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

6" of snow turned to gravy then it froze, today everything is ice. Everything is closed. Todays high is 34°.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Today and tomorrow shows being the only warmest days in the low seventies. I'll take that advantage to do some garden clean-up. But I might get a light snow this weekend. Unfortunately next Thursday shows 60% heavy snow. I better stock up on food and batteries and chocolate and harvest whatever plants I'm going to use.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”