imafan26
Mod

Re: 2022 What's the Weather Like Where You Are?

It was so windy today things were blowing away. Other than that, it is about the same as this morning. It is 74 degrees now and the sun is about to go down only it is so overcast I can't even see the sun.

applestar
Mod

Here, it was a bit warmer for the last couple of days but gloomy overcast and rainy with overnight temps even getting higher in the 40’s … but next 10 days will see daytime highs only in the 40’s and overnights in 30’s above freezing or down to mid/low 20’s.

I think from here on, it will feel like it’s “warmer” when above freezing temps, and I won’t be surprised to see overnights falling down into the teens.

Even though there are still lots to clean up out there, as well as things I could do that would be beneficial for the garden, I’m starting to feel sluggish and wanting to stay cozy and warm indoors, do more cooking and baking in the kitchen … winter mode.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Perhaps it is best that the northern and southern hemispheres are so far apart. But, I think that I could find a balance migrating between them.

It would need to be maintaining my far north location so that not too much could be happening in a southern location garden while the harvest and Fall chores would still be required "up north." Then hurrying south to arrive just as the growing season tasks commence. 6 months/6 months, here/there

;) Replacing growing season activities with moving snow around, as I will need to do for the next several days, is not the fair trade that I would prefer. It's comfortable indoors, thankfully. I'm content not to have an outdoor job nor a stale indoor job these days of retirement. Windows on a bright Winter landscape - that is very much appreciated.

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We had 3 days of very hard rain with temperatures in the 70s. Yesterday morning rain was pounding the house roof so hard it made a very loud rumble sound, hard rain is a very nice sound for sleeping. This morning it is 57° very dark over cast sky again with loud wind sounds high up in the sky like a freight train. Warm weather often causes tornadoes in tornado alley but so far so good no TV forecast for tornadoes yet. TV was saying 3" of rain every day, I have not checked my rain gauge water is too deep to walk in. TV is showing KY & TN flooding. Every year too much rain Dec to May then dry as desert June to Oct.
Attachments
100_6494.JPG

imafan26
Mod

It has been warmer and drier than usual because of La Nina. While your gardens are winding down and moving inside, I am almost fully geared up and it is the season where I can grow the temperate and cool season crops.

Applestar, I am in winter mode all the time. I have to really work at getting anything done.

There has been some overnight rain and the cooler weather has meant that the soil does not dry that quickly. I still have to water, but some things don't need to be watered everyday and I can skip a day without things wilting.

I live in a place that is wetter than other parts of the island, but it would take a heavy sudden downpour to cause the kind of flooding Gary gets in his garden. The ground here has been dry for so long it has been able to soak up the lighter rain with no problem. Even the streets dry quickly after overnight rain.

applestar
Mod

Pretty soon during the winter, we’ll be getting similar temps to the Upper Midwest area a few days later. For now, the Ocean thermal influence is keeping the lowest temps at bay. Highs in 30’s starting to crop up in 10-day forecast though.

imafan26
Mod

I'm glad you are not getting the deep snow that has been in the news lately.
For me it is cold enough at 68 degrees with partly cloudy skies. It rained a little last night but the roads are already dry. It has been windy but right now the wind is only 4mph, but that will pick up later in the day. Another cold front is coming later in the week.

imafan26
Mod

I hope you are all safe as the winter storms sweep across the mainland. Today is the first day of a Kona Low. There is a flash flood warning, but while it has been raining there has not been a lot of wind. It has been raining since about 3 am; moderately heavy. Not heavy enough to flood my lanai, but enough to pool up in the yard. The rain has temporarily stopped for while, but it is going to pick up again. It is supposed to be heavier tomorrow with more wind. Most of the heaviest rain is falling on Maui County and on the ocean. They do need the rain, but nobody wants it all in one day or two. Part of my rain gutter fell off and now I have to find a handyman to put it back up. The fascia board has dry rot and the screws were rusted. The gutter has been up there since 1990. The rain barrels were already full before it started to rain. Last week I had 2.5 inches of rain in my rain gauge. Needless to say, I don't have to water today.

Tomorrow, it is supposed to rain harder with more wind. The storm advisory for tomorrow includes a high wind warning.

The humidity does make it harder to clean the house though. The floors take longer to dry. it is 68 degrees now. I am just doing laundry and cleaning house. I am glad I don't have to go out anywhere today. The weather should clear by Wednesday.

This storm is making its' way across the pacific from west to east and should impact the mainland in 4-5 days.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

24° at 6:15 am

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Recently, I learned a new way to forecast weather. More about that in just a moment :).

The Weather Service would only climb out on the limb so far last week for the forecast during this busy travel week. They said that it would either be a snowy week or very cold. By the end of the week, they had opted for very cold. The "snowstorm" Sunday was a completely non-event locally. I swept the back steps once and they were neither snow covered at that time nor this morning.

It's okay with me. We have had snow on the ground since the first week of November and I have had a little trouble knowing where to put it along the driveway.

The overnight temperature has just dropped below 20°f (-7C) after not being but a couple of degrees above that during yesterday's afternoon hours. By today's afternoon, it is supposed to drop to about 15°f (-9°C). Then, fall into single digitS' F by midnight and, maybe, stay that way until dropping below zero F, in the next few days.

So, for today, the "high" will have already passed at about 12:01 midnight and the thermometer has been dropping ever since °° •••....

The forecast method that I have learned is Persistence. What happened today will happen tomorrow. Certainly, it would have been 100% over the last week. Now, it begins to fail as we SLide right down into frigid Winter.

digitS'

imafan26
Mod

It is 69 degrees and very windy at 18-24 mph, but gusts can go up to 60 mph in some places. The weather service warned people who live in valleys and down slope on the NW side of the islands. I just have to figure where the NW side is. We don't normally use compass directions in everyday life. The surf will be over 20 ft on the north and west shores. Now, that I can figure out. It will peak tomorrow morning when the surf and high tide are concurrent. That means if it is still raining, the coastal roads will flood out and the the beaches are likely to erode further in. It would not be wise to drive in the low parts of the island where the brackish puddles rise from the storm drains. There have been some mudslides and weather related accidents. School is out and people who don't have to be on the road are staying home. So far I have not had a power surge, which is amazing. I will have to fix my orchid shade frames, some of those connections have been shaken loose. There was lightening and Thunder last night and heavier rain, but so far it is still slow enough not to flood out my lanai. The ground is super dry everywhere so most of the water can still be absorbed. I can still hear the thunder now. So far, emergency services are on standby but no shelters are open.

Yesterday, a Hawaiian Airlines flight from Arizona, hit a strong pocket of turbulence that through people around on the plane. They did declare an emergency and about 30 passengers and some of the crew were treated for injuries.

The weather forecast predicts 100% chance of rain. That is an easy one to predict since the rain has only briefly stopped since it started raining on Saturday and the radar image shows the front passing through all the islands at some point in time. Most of the rain is still falling on the ocean all around us.

I will still have a wet but green Christmas.

imafan26
Mod

The sun is out and it is warmer 74 degrees. It is still windy 14-21 mph. It is still overcast and there is some drizzling rain. Overall, the garden looks good. There are a few loose pots rolling around but not too bad. Surf is up 25-35 ft on the North Shore. It would be foolish for anyone to enter the water after a storm.

The other islands had more impacts, some flooding, downed utility poles, flooded roads, and trees fell on homes and on a car. Luckily, no one was hurt. Big Island and Kahuku on Oahu even had some hail.

applestar
Mod

Current forecast for 12/23 :eek:
29D0802D-B2E2-44BB-B4E5-F91F2BD0C60F.png
…overnight low forecast for 12/23~24 is 12°F with windchill of -5°F 🥶

imafan26
Mod

The sun is out again and it is 62 degrees. The winds have shifted so it is calm right now. Instead of a blanket of snow, I have a blanket of leaves to rake up.

It looks like it will be a whiteout Christmas for many parts of the mainland as the winter storms are sweeping across the country. I hope you all stay warm and safe on the shortest day of the year.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

-2°F here with 1" of snow and high wind all night. My digital thermometer is reading negative numbers too. TV reports several near by towns -4°. Wind chill -30°. Our temperature dropped 47°f over night. We left our water running when we went to bed but water was frozen when we woke up. We turned all the water faucets on higher this morning water dripped for about 10 minutes then water started flowing. TV shows traffic accidents every where. The highways were salted yesterday and roads are slick this morning. TV says salt does not work when its this cold. Traffic cams show almost no one on the roads. Nashville airport reports all flights are cancelled. Our central heat unit is having trouble making the house warm, we have 2 electric space heaters on to get the house warmer.
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

3°f (-16°C) and snowing lightly. How could the snow flakes be anything other than light at these temperatures?. It was well below zero f, yesterday at this time so the snow clouds came with warmer air.

There is supposed to be continuing warming and there is already 15" of snow on the ground. A chance of rain by tomorrow!?! Rain is a near certainty for the meteorologists by Sunday, melting but then cooling again.

This would be very unusual weather to have changes like this in such a short period of time. Here's hoping :-| , that we don't have much of an icestorm.

Steve

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

The high in my back yard was 55° around 5 am, and it is still raining, and starting around 10:30 I was getting thunder! It was still 48° then, and I guess this is when the temperature dropped fast. It was 33 at 2 pm, with wicked wind. There was little snow here - just a little sleet on the car, then the sun came out, while the temp came down.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

5°F this morning. We left water running on all the water faucets all night so they don't freeze. Water cost less than plumbing repair. No above freezing temperatures until Monday. TV reports power outage, 280,000. homes in west TN, 260,000, homes in east TN, power outage in 11 eastern states. Power company said, close up unused rooms in your house that are not being used, don't use the electric clothes dryer, turn heat down lower and wear jacket inside the house and extra blankets on the bed. Power company is alternating, 6 hours ON then 6 hours OFF so everyone can have power sometime during the day. So far so good we have no power outage.

applestar
Mod

Earlier —
FFB9ED0E-A48F-4F78-929A-F3DB3EAE93B2.jpeg
…Starting to “warm up” now — today’s high is supposed to be 19°F

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Down to 7° in my back yard last night. Up to 11° now, 20° forecast high. At least there's no more precipitation.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

After being off 20 minutes our electricity came on again. TV says, power company is doing, Rolling Outages, off 20 minutes, on 20 minutes, all day.

webmaster
Site Admin

Down to single digits last night. Supposedly will be in the fifties next week.

imafan26
Mod

It is 77 degrees now. I thought I heard some thunder, but it might have been firecrackers. Those have been going off randomly since Halloween. It is amazing how many illegal fireworks are around.

Weather is nothing dramatic. The skies were overcast this morning but it is clear now with some cloud cover. Winds are not too bad about 10-14 mph. The overnight low is going to be around 64.

This is the most expensive place to live, but at least heat is free.

I hope everyone stays safe and warm and have a safe holiday.

Gary, I am glad I don't have to worry about things like pipes freezing. I only experienced that once when I went up to Haleakala. The puddle on the road had a thin sheet of ice on it and the restroom faucet rumbled and slush came out of it.

The only issue I am having besides my neighbor's tree raining leaves and flowers and seed pods all over my yard is that it is windy enough to knock over the pots.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

5°f again this morning. TN humidity is typically high enough that winter does not feel cold but this year dry air feels very cold like northern IL. TV keeps revising the forecast, 3 more days of single digit temperatures.

Merry Christmas.
Last edited by Gary350 on Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imafan26
Mod

65 degrees at 7 a.m. wind is 6-10 mph. The skies are mostly clear.

imafan26
Mod

It is a little warmer than yesterday. It is 66 degrees at 7:37 a.m. There are scattered showers on the radar, and it rained a little overnight, but it looks sunny and clear right now. Humidity is 80% winds from NW at 7 mph.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

50°f this morning. I parked the camper trailer in back yard under 2 shade trees next to patio. We slept cozy an warm under several warm blankets with windows open. Sun started coming up, I made a fire, wife made coffee. There are a lot of nice bird songs this morning.
Attachments
100_7684.JPG

imafan26
Mod

It is 71 degrees at 8:43 a.m. There are a few high clouds and some scattered showers on radar. Chance of showers will increase after noon. Good day for a picnic.

applestar
Mod

Went down to 45°F overnight.

It figures that one year I actually OPTED not to grow spring crop, we end up with this unusually cool stretch before summer…
1CC10154-29E2-4E92-8198-C2F2403C23C1.jpeg
…ha! I’m not counting on either of those “rain” forecasts. Here, anything less than about 75% chance of rain is not likely to happen (or maybe it’ll rain next town over but not here) — this is UNLESS you’re planning and outdoor activity with a toddler, then it will definitely rain … I remember those.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 5:15 am

will definitely rain … I remember those
Kinda funny that we have gone back to a previous year.

:D

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I've tried that, apple - doing things outside, during which it would usually rain, to interrupt. It hasn't worked this year. :lol:

My rain total for May was .19".

imafan26
Mod

It is 76 degrees at 10 a.m. Humidity is 63% and the trades are turned on from the NE @ 8 mph. There is a lot of cloud cover, which will probably bring a few sprinkles later today.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”