applestar
Mod

How to break car window from inside

How to break car window glass from inside if trapped - even by children and elderly strength (Japanese - will translate instructions if need)

#1 TEACH CHILDREN TO SOUND CAR HORN FOR HELP. PRACTICE.
#2 How to break glass to escape

applestar
Mod

…in this video by former emergency responder, he was specifically focusing on preparedness in a family scenario like children. He said the featured technique using car seat headrest was an item available in every car and you can teach kids how to remove (usually you have to push a little button to fully extract the headrest).

I can attest to this — I had to teach my children because in my suv, you had to reposition the headrests to lay the seats flat for extra cargo like bicycles. So this …along with how to push the bendy straw into juice boxes without spilling and making a mess… was something they as pre-schoolers had to demonstrate their grandparents when we all went to a local park together :D

I have one of those emergency window punches somewhere but have never used it — if it’s like the spring loaded punch for making a dimple in metal conduits, it takes quite a bit of push and control to make it trigger?

Also, in the video, he directed the helper to back up as far as he can before pulling down on top of headrest, so as not to be injured by shattering glass — the helper said he was surprised by how lightly he was hitting the headrest to make the post push down along the window gap, and only a slight downward pressure it took for the window to break, and the explanation was that the headrest post is being used like a lever with fulcrum against the door/window frame.

He was also directed to use the headrest post to clear the remaining shattered glass from the window, and that running the post along the window opening edges makes a quick and mostly clean work of this process.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Seat head rest will not come off of any of OUR vehicles but they can be removed with a piece of metal cut from a soft drink can. Who has time for take if car is on fire or under water.

Spring loaded tool center punch will work to break glass on door windows only. Door glass is tempered safety glass you can often hit windows with a hammer or baseball bat and glass will not break but a very sharp point will break the glass easy. A geologist rock hammed has a shape point on 1 end.

Front & rear windows are safety glass with a tough thick layer of plastic melted between to sheets of glass. You can break glass on both sides but the window glass stays in place. Best way to remove front window is put both feet on the glass then push as hard as you can. YouTube video shows 2 people struggling to push out a front window after several tries on far right side they did finally manage to push the window out.

Electric door locks & electric windows are dangerous a wreck can damage the battery then there is no electricity & no way to open doors or windows. Under water car need to fill totally full of water before door will open if you can get doors unlocked. If you run off the road into a lake or river electric windows & and doors will work for a while. If in water roll windows down fast get out before car sinks.

Few cars have sun roofs these days.

Modern day vehicles with electric windows are a death trap. I always worry about getting my wife out first as fast as possible. At our age we are not flexible it will be very hard to climb out a window in an emergency.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”