imafan26
Mod

Re: 2021 What's the Weather Like Where You Are?

It is 76 degrees right now. It rained this morning while I was trying to water the yard. It did not last long, but I still managed to get my back soaked. Although, it has only been in the low 80's, the trades are not very strong so it seems a lot hotter.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

34C. here today, forecast to ramp up all week to 39 at the weekend. Our location is usually 2-3 degrees above forecast so we're bracing for maybe 42C = abt 107F. Not a drop of rain in sight.

Unbelievable; this is only June, in a temperate coastal rain forest - ???

applestar
Mod

Continental see-saw it seems like?

It went down to 50°F here by dawn. High forecast of 75 and then repeat or possibly even colder? overnight tonight before creeping up in daytime temps 70’s and 80’s, and to mid-50’s next overnight….

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

My low overnight was 54°, and mid 70s forecast for the high - about 10° under. I won't complain! Soon, we'll be back in the 90s...

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

53°F this morning, weather report claims it will warm up to 75° today.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

"Conditions in the drought-stricken Pacific Northwest are about to get extremely dicey.

79.8% of the region is in drought, including 20.3% in Extreme(D3)/Exceptional(D4). A record-shattering heatwave is on the way + increased wildfire risk." https://www.drought.gov

I was telling DW this morning that this reminds me of the weeks leading up to the Mt. St Helens eruption. We had the warnings. 57+- deaths

Steve

imafan26
Mod

This is looking to be a bad year. Drought in the west and drenching and more severe storms in the South and East. It is going to be hotter and drier this year than last year. I almost lost some of my perennial plants last year that normally live on rain. I am watering them more now to make sure they have enough water for the summer.

With California in severe drought and farmers and ranchers being forced to cut back on planting their fields and culling herds because they can't feed them, food prices will only get worse. That makes what I grow in the garden more valuable as far as food security goes.

Already, the strange hot/cold weather we had earlier has impacted this years' litchi crop. There isn't much out there.

It is 66 degrees now with a high expected around 85. There are a few light showers on the windward side, but I still have to water the yard today.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

One more nice day - low humidity, maybe up to 80°, but only 75°, so far, and very breezy. Last good day.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Hot and dry but humid in the high 80's and low 90's. I got some rain from the tropical storm a few days ago and it was a temporary relief.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Record breaking HOT weather (Western Washington)

today 83

Predicted:
tomorrow 91
sat 101
sun 109!
mon 109!
tues 93
wed 90
thurs 91
fri 89

Scary

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

When I was a kid in, grade school, high school, college too, I did not know there was such a thing as bad weather. Rain, wind, lightning, mud, flood, hail, snow, ice, blizzard, hot blistering sun, mosquitos, chiggers, stickers, thorns, weeds, brush, and a 1000 cockleburs in each sock, could not stop me from being outside. I use to ride my bicycle 6 miles to college in snow & freezing rain then set it class with ice frozen to my pant legs up pass my knees while the ice melted and cold water dripped into my shoes. I think I am getting old, I don't like extremely hot weather, I don't like extremely cold weather either, I never want to ride my bike in freezing rain again. Today was 89° sunny & nice with no clouds & 10 mph wind. Now it is dark & the super moon is coming up. I have a lawn chair & a bottle of wine I'm going to watch the super moon for a while.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Very scary, HB

Port Alberni forecast for today was 36C. My outdoor thermometer in the shade says 40.1 = 104F. Our place is typically 2, 3 or more degrees higher than forecast.

All-time records are tumbling. Forecast for Monday is 43 = 109. Here we may get to 46 (115). People will surely die in this heat, if it's not already happening.

Thank goodness we put in a heat pump last winter and can now say indoors with A/C. I hope the electrical grid doesn't go down under the load.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Today is scorching hot.
Tomorrow is supposed to be hotter.
115 F predicted for Monday.
Unheard of for western Washington.
Birds flew to within inches of my feet when I turned the hose on. They were desperate to cool off. So cute, flapping their wings in the spray. They usually don’t get that close to me.
Vanisle_BC is not far from where I am, so we have similar weather.
This hot weather is stressful.

applestar
Mod

Please stay cooled down and safe! Unbelievable weather conditions. :(

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Max. here yesterday was 45C/113F. Same forecast for today and even 2C higher on Monday. Some regions are having flooding from extreme snow melt at the same time as intense heat and wildfires.

Trying to figure if I can rig some shade for my tomatoes. Does sunscald affect foliage or only the fruit? I have almost no fruit forming yet.

Roll on Tuesday, supposed to dive to the mid 30s. We used to think that was hot.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

It seems like tomatoes will do well since they love sun but I don’t know about how they are with extreme heat.
This weather is very evaporating so I need to water more often. My hydrangeas were wilting yesterday, so I gave them some emergency water. I think that I caught it in time. My geraniums weren’t blooming at first but now they are. Geraniums love sun.
This extreme weather stuff is stressful. I bought a portable kerosene heater this last winter for emergency purposes and now I’m worried about the kerosene in storage. I have some small propane bottles too. Not very many, but enough to worry me. Yesterday, I built an insulated box around the bottles of kerosene and propane and put blue ice inside, to cool the fuel bottles. It’s like a makeshift fridge.
May not be necessary, but it makes me feel less stressed about it. Peace of mind has value.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I just read some info about tomatoes and extreme heat is not good. Now I’m wondering about all of my plants. All I can do is water everyday. I have a 7x7 sun shade that might help some of them. The hottest temps are from 3-6 in the afternoon here. I have water for the birdies under their favorite shade tree by the feeder. I make giant ice cubes and put them in the bird water. Otherwise, the shallow bird water gets very warm very fast.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Good for you HB, with the birdbath ice cubes. You said 'Peace of mind has value' and it made me think of 'Tarragon hath virtue.' They go together quite comically.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Vanisle_BC wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:10 am
Max. here yesterday was 45C/113F. Same forecast for today and even 2C higher on Monday. Some regions are having flooding from extreme snow melt at the same time as intense heat and wildfires.

Trying to figure if I can rig some shade for my tomatoes. Does sunscald affect foliage or only the fruit? I have almost no fruit forming yet.

Roll on Tuesday, supposed to dive to the mid 30s. We used to think that was hot.
Temperatures above 100°F kill tomatoes. Its not actually air temperature that kills the plants but sun cooks the leaves 30° hotter than the air temperature. Lucky we have not had temperatures above 99° in TN for a few years. TN had 107° & 109° several times. Build an old fashion clothes line 2 ropes about 2 feet apart over your tomato plant row. Put bed sheets over the 2 ropes to shade your plants. Air needs to flow through the tent to stay cool.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

2pm thermometer says 40.1C. Tomatoes are tending to curl leaves a little but don't look too bad. The leaves are not warm to the touch. I'd forgotten that the poly roof over the bed actually provides some shade. It's vapour barrier material so not fully transparent even when new - and it's not; lots of tree pollen on it. There's a bit of breeze through the bed but it's not cool. Lucky we're not in an arid zone.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

It’s 103 F now (going on 105 predicted) and there are people using the clothes dryers at the local laudromat which has no
AC. Now that’s crazy.
Vanisle: I had never heard the phrase before ‘Tarragon hath virtue’. Sounds like an old phase. I will research it.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

'Tarragon hath virtue' - don't know where I saw this very ancient phrase but I can't find reference to it online. That troubles me. Due to the monetization of everything (thanks, google) whole areas of common knowledge are disappearing; abandoned if you can't make a buck from knowing about them. Much can now only be found in 'out of date' reference books and encyclopedias.

Rant, rant: Anyway I think it was originally spelled 'vertue' - maybe in Chaucer's time - and it meant that tarragon is aromatic - ??

Sorry if this is not absolutely fascinating! :-D

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Actually, I am fascinated by old world history. It started when I took a college anthropology class called North American Indians.
I will look up Tarragon in my herb book and see what it says.
I am too busy to read much, but when I do, it has to do with old cultures.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

VanIsle, the Nation of Canada has a new high temperature record. Suffering town is in BC, of all place!

The place is about 350 miles from here and on “our side” - the dry side of the mountains. And, Lytton is about 100 miles north of the border.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/lytton-b-c-just-b ... -1.5487906

Sheesh! We are slammed with heat of 106°f , I believe it was (41°C). And, supposed to be heating up more.

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It is 75°F this morning, setting on the patio humidity is so high it feels like 90°F. Weather report claims it will be 93°F by 3 pm. If this high humidity continues 93° will feel like 110°. TN always feels hotter than AZ the dry desert heat will fool you it is much hotter than it feels.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

@dIgitS', Lytton does get damn hot; but it's right in the gut of the Fraser canyon so that's not surprising. It astonishes me that here on the island, surrounded by ocean and many miles from the mainland, we're only a degree or so behind Lytton.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I was looking at Astoria weather numbers. Astoria, at the mouth of the Columbia River.

Saturday, it was 79°f (26°C). Yesterday, it was 101° (38C).

Ya know, if folks haven't lived anywhere other than the Oregon coast their entire life, Sunday afternoon must have felt brutal. Well, it as - a humidity of 40% wasn't helping. I say that I like hot weather but residents of places with high and higher humidity must think that I'm nutz. Yeah well, I'm still talking about BELOW 100! And yet, there are critters (& people!) in some of the hottest places on earth. Let's go ahead and try to behave like they do. Yeah. It takes a change in lifestyle but maybe we can do it. We Adjust and Adapt.

Steve

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It is disgusting out there today - only up to 88° while I was out there this morning, but no wind, and 73° dewpoint. I already took my first shower when I came inside! So far, it has hit 90°, but it is at least breezy. I'll go out much later, when the rest of the garden is in the shade, though it will be even hotter.

I just count my blessings...it's hot here, but nothing like what you guys out west are getting! My heart goes out to all of you.

applestar
Mod

I hear ya. I was out tying up my maters and I looked down at my hands and creases in my palms were visibly perspiring — so much humidity! CAN WE SAY MUGGY?

I was getting occasional breezes though (at least around 11am). Felt SO GOOD.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I just got in from my second trip outside, when the shade was back there. The heat index was 100°, but the wind had picked up, so I wasn't nearly as wet afterwards! Still, I took a second shower.

imafan26
Mod

It was 64 degrees at 4 a.m. and 84 degrees now at 4 p.m. Humidity is low at 41% I have not seen it that low for a while. Supposedly there is some light rain somewhere, but not at my house. It is still strange to me that the Pacific Northwest is hotter and my location is just under the tropic of cancer. But, I'll take it. It is getting hotter, but not unusually so for this time of the year. The Pacific High is where it should be and Hurricanes (up to Enrique now) are staying on the other side of the Pacific.

Even heat resistant tomatoes are only to a little over 90 and some of the Florida cultivars may take a little more, but not extreme heat.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

7 am it was 80° & feels like 95°. We have 50% chance of scattered thunder storms in the forecast every even for 5 days. Weather man explained 50% means, maybe your neighbor gets a 10 minute rain but you don't.
Attachments
MailBox.jpg

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Good one Gary, about the mailbox lasagna. We don't have that sort of mailbox. We're due to make bread and I was wondering if you could do it outdoors under a cover, or in the greenhouse. Would it bake through at a relatively low temperature for, say, 8 hours? Or maybe we could do it in the BBQ to avoid heating the kitchen. ????

Temp today is supposed to be 'cooler' at 35C/95F.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Vanisle_BC wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:20 pm
Good one Gary, about the mailbox lasagna. We don't have that sort of mailbox. We're due to make bread and I was wondering if you could do it outdoors under a cover, or in the greenhouse. Would it bake through at a relatively low temperature for, say, 8 hours? Or maybe we could do it in the BBQ to avoid heating the kitchen. ????

Temp today is supposed to be 'cooler' at 35C/95F.
40 years ago I had a solar cooker that I used to cook my lunch at work every day. I sat it on the roof of my car dinner was ready to eat at 12 noon. July & Aug it would get to 325° it would cook a loaf of bread but not hot enough to brown the loaf. Bread looked like uncooked bread but tasted like cooked bread. At home I put a large mirror next to the solar cooler for extra sunlight then it would get to 350° I baked cookies & a cake in it several times at home on the weekend. You can cook a loaf of bread in a crock pot they will all get to 350° they don't heat up the house like a kitchen stove.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I cooked some heirloom tomatoes & onions in the sun yesterday, Glass container with glass lid set on top of metal tray. It worked.
I turned off my hot water heater. I filled some plastic bottles and set them on a shelf that gets the afternoon sun and the water was nice and warm by late afternoon. Reminds me of camping.

runner1212
Cool Member

Very warm and really humid.

imafan26
Mod

It is 68 degrees now with a high expected around 82 degrees. The humidity is 91% and it is partly cloudy. I have been sleeping with the fan on every night. The temperature is not that bad yet, but the humidity and calm winds make it even more humid.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I just read that Lytton is on fire and evacuating.
121 degrees

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Lytton BC (in the Fraser Canyon) had about 15 minutes to evacuate in what sounds like near-panic as flames spread through the town. It's not yet known if every one got out or what if anything is left of the place. I believe the fire is still burning. Conditions for firefighters must be very grim.

A local First Nation person has said they were ignored & left to look after themselves.

My wife said 'if that happened here, in a rush, what would you grab to take with us?' Apart from wallet & cash I couldn't think of anything. Cell phone is in the car.

Here it was a lot 'cooler' yesterday at around 30C; 86F.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

No rain here we are in a drought watch & burn ban it was 95° yesterday. Weather forecast has been rain all week but all the rain has gone north through Kentucky and south through Alabama. 70% chance of rain today, at the moment radar shows big rain storms in Kentucky & no rain in Tennessee.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”