Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Re: 2021 What's the Weather Like Where You Are?

75° yesterday, very high wind all day it sounds like a freight train in the sky. Snow melt had the stream up to its banks water 20 ft deep almost on the highway. 5 days of rain in the forecast, flash floods, 6½" of rain expected. I wish we could have this rain, June, July, Aug, average rain for those 3 month is 1".

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

My weather app has been lying to me the past couple of days. It was showing huge chance of rain all evening and night yesterday. It rained lightly for a little bit that afternoon but that was pretty much it. I check weather this morning it said 90% chance of rain now and radar had nothing nearby me. It has been cloudy and it's a cool 70- something out there.

imafan26
Mod

I think this is going to be another crazy year. The popcorn orchids are starting to bloom in February. They usually don't bloom until May. Last year they were also early blooming in April.

We have had some cold fronts moving through and one is passing north of us now, but mostly raining on the ocean with only light rain and lots of wind (which is normal for this time of the year). The amount of rain is less than normal so far even though it there has been some flooding. It is 68 degrees now and very windy. It is still overcast and there was rain overnight.

It is so windy that the potted plants are drying out and falling over.

Unfortunately, the weeds are loving it and I need to weed whack the grass again.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Yesterday evening we had very amazing storms, it rained so hard about 7 pm we could not see any of the neighbors houses. Rain is so loud it sounds like Niagara Falls for 35 minutes. 45 minutes later more storms & very hard rain. Electricity was off for a while all we could see was lightning flashes in the clouds but no lightning strikes to the ground. Electric came on TV weather report shows storms & tornadoes in southern KY near TN border. Electric went off sometime during the night it was still off this morning. It was 67° last night & still 67° this morning. Its a bit hard to find the toilet in total darkness. It is hard to know how many squares of toilet paper I have. I have no clue what color shirt I put on at 6 am with no light. I had a cold bowl of chili for breakfast. Water heater has hot water so I made coffee. I went outside to feed cats & dog wind is blowing very hard phone weather says 30 mph wind gusting to 45. Wind sounds good especially the 45 mph gusts. Trees bend back & forth they look like they will break off or blow over. Blue Bird I saw yesterday is still here it sets on 1 of the bird houses for 1 or 2 minutes then flies around sets in several trees then returns to the same bird house. Clouds in the sky are blowing along fast as a jet airplane. I had a slice of cold pizza for 9am snack. Birds are chirping very loud in the trees. I am enjoying setting on the patio listening to the wind & birds with the dog & cats. Electricity came on at 9:43 am. We are so accustom to having electricity it is missed when we don't have it for a few hours. Storms & tornadoes in southern KY this morning. Tonight more storms with 60 mph wind. Never a dull moment living in Tornado alley.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I didn't get anything my low down lying weather app was showing. Everything was above me.

imafan26
Mod

It has been raining almost all day with a few respites. The wind has been knocking the potted plants down. I spent part of the day cleaning out my pantry. I have stuff from 2015. My garbage day is on Tuesday. I think I have a room for a couple of more bags. I already have a box of canned goods to give away that I am either not going to be able to use or will be expiring soon. I finally opened the rest of my Christmas presents.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It has been very windy today, and only got to 49° - around average, but it's been considerably higher. The last 2 days it rained around 2", but just misting today. Tonight, it is supposed to get into the 20s, and only to 38° tomorrow, with the bad wind still! But Wednesday, it's supposed to get well into the 50s again! Crazy weather, as always.

imafan26
Mod

It has been raining all night and there is a flood watch. I am on the edge of the heaviest rain, so more of the same is on the way as the storm system moves down the island chain. It is 64 degrees now with calm winds which means the system is going to linger for a bit and there will be a lot of liquid sunshine. Although, the sun may not be poking out too much today.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Today is sunny but windy. I'm very anxious to get stuff in the ground but I heard through the grapevine that we may get another frost around Easter time. I may go ahead and plant stuff anyway, if it frosts it frosts. I'm tired of waiting for the last frost of spring to get stuff in the ground, it cuts back on my growing season.

imafan26
Mod

The hot and cold spells are definitely confusing the plants. The hot peppers really haven't taken much time off and have been growing (slower), but still putting out fruit an flowers even in December and January. I had to plant my ginger already, the eyes were already sprouting. They should be planted in April. Some orchids are blooming on time and others are blooming early. I have been growing zucchini, tomatoes and some peppers during the cooler months when they normally don't even want to germinate.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It got to 69° today, and more the next couple of days, warmest of the year, so far.

applestar
Mod

The wind has been roaring non-stop. It’s disconcerting because I keep thinking it’s a low-flying airplane ... and only the military ones fly low (the base is NOT close, but apparently my neighborhood is part of some kind of confluence of commercial as well as military flight paths for the base and Philadelphia airport, and those high flying as well as the low flying military flights sometimes fly overhead. DH said he’d been on flights that flew over our house, and my Dad used to as well)

... then I remember the roaring is from the winds, but the constant air movement is shaking and vibrating the house enough for the springs in the mattress to resonate — it’s very creepy.

I normally like the spring storm winds — it always makes me remember Mary Poppins in the novels ... I joke that I can almost see the parrot-handled black umbrella high up in the sky.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Back to cold again, after that warmth of a few days; although around average for a couple of days, before getting even colder for a few days (43° one day, with a low of 26°), it is those winds that make it worse - 30-40 mph, even worse last night, when that front came through. It's still winter!

applestar
Mod

EE7F211B-F0AC-49A0-9A67-487F38610227.jpeg
... Please keep her sister in your thoughts today. She will be in surgery this morning for feline mammalian cancer....

Here are some photos of her while practicing to wear bandages and E-collar during the past week (we got her a better fitting -and cuter!- E-collar after taking these photos)
5B75A248-5840-4FD2-8FD9-D37718DEAE82.jpeg

THANK YOU for the well-wishes. The vet-surgery tech sent us this photo. She’s reported to be doing well 😂
31986EEF-D75A-4D3D-B6E3-ADD4B31F8BF9.jpeg
Last edited by applestar on Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: UPDATE!

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

After weeks of cold rain, occasional snow and overnight frosts we've had two glorious days of full sun and highs of 10-12 degrees C.

Got nearly all of my fertilising done in the dry.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Aww, sorry about your kitty, @applestar! 🐈

Just went through a fascinating, yet intense thunderstorm. Crackling lightening that gave off a red tinge, some booming thunder that vibrated the house with some nice, low long rumbles, pelting rain and some wind. I watched the first part of it from out on the porch and the rest of it from inside the house out the window. Current temperature is 64 and still rainy outside.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

We finally got a little rain - not a lot, but enough to wet that dry brush on top, which has been causing fires in some areas. Today it has been misting all morning, and is still a little below normal temps, but tomorrow we are supposed to be getting 1-3" of rain - those storms from the MW! - and temps are supposed to be around average. We'll see what happens...
Last edited by pepperhead212 on Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

BIG storms & Tornado warnings all day heading our way. Dead calm all morning with PINK color sky. Lightning & thunder starting now with very heavy dark over cast sky, still no wind. We have #4 warning, 1 out of 5 severe storms, 70 mph wind, large hail & tornados. Channel 2 dramatizes the weather so I started watching channel 4. Very intense weather I wish we had a bomb shelter to hide in. At night we can't go to bed we have to stay up just incase there are tornadoes.
Last edited by Gary350 on Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Gary, I hope you are spared from those tornadoes, and horrible storms. What do you do, take turns sleeping, so one can keep watch for nearby warnings?

imafan26
Mod

I hope everyone is safe and has a plan or shelter to go to in the tornado zone. Tornadoes are rare here. But climate change, changes everything.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

pepperhead212 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:57 am
Gary, I hope you are spared from those tornadoes, and horrible storms. What do you do, take turns sleeping, so one can keep watch for nearby warnings?
We watched TV News channel 4 most of the day & night. We got lucky massive storms went all around us all day & all night. At 1 point the closest super cell storms were 7 miles away but most of the time storms were 15 to 30 miles away on both sides of us. Rain & storms came and went all day & got worse after dark. Storms were coming North/East from Mississippi & Alabama. About 6pm to 7pm 2 very huge massive storms went on both sides of us, Nashville TN got hammered by 1 of those storms. Wife went to sleep on living room sofa several times during the day. When I saw 7pm weather report that said, storms could get worse or fizzle out we will know what will happen by 10 pm Wife went to sleep on soft at 7pm. 9pm I started watched weather reports again at 10:15pm report was, all tornado warnings are cancelled, rain & lighting all night but no tornadoes. WOW it rained hard, it rained so hard for several hours the whole house roared from the sound of rain hammering the roof. Rain gutters were over flowing like a water fall all the way around the whole house. I like the sound of hard rain wife went to bed and I watched and listened to rain for 30 minutes then went to bed. I slept with my earing aids on every time I woke up & rolled over I could hear rain pounding the roof. Wife got out of bed at 4pm it was still raining very hard. I got out of bed at 6pm no rain. We are having a nice sunny day with several big white clouds in the blue sky and very gusty 30 mph wind. I hear lots of sirens to the south. TV has been talking about flooding. The stream 1/4 mile from us will be filling up and getting deeper all day. It is hard to know when rain run off will finally peak then flooded streams will go down. I think stream near us will probably rise all day and peak sometime tonight after dark then water will be gone by tomorrow morning.
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Glad you're okay, Gary!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Unpleasant. Temperature this afternoon is in the mid-40's Fahrenheit but with 25+ mph wind gusts and heavy overcast, it's not comfortable.

Maybe snow on the ground tomorrow morning. The temporary hoop house (9' by 20') was set up last week. Twice, I've set up the hoop house and had it collapse under March snow!

There's little chance of there being much snow ;). The ground is no longer frozen so it will be melting quickly unless it's falling fast and that's not the story from the Weather Service.

Steve

Nyan

A great day in Alabama today! Sunny to partly cloudy and about 67 degrees. I got a lot done in the garden and it was just cool enough to keep the sweating down.

It looks like the four week agriculture forecast is calling for average to above average temperatures and above average rainfall. It got me so optimistic that I started putting out peppers and tomatoes, and I'll be planting sweet corn this week.

I get all my nearby forecasts from weather.gov as they avoid the theatrics and just give the info.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Another day in tornado alley. Storms today look very bad. I have a bad feeling about this storm. Maximum wind 75 to 95 mph, heavy rain, large hail, tornados. We are in zone 4 of 5 at the moment it keeps moving closer to us. Worse storms are 2 pm to midnight. Worse thing is to have electricity go off and not be able to see where tornados are on TV. Center of storm appears to be traveling directly over us.
Attachments
100_9542.JPG
100_9531.JPG

imafan26
Mod

There seems to be one storm coming after another. It is the same here.

There is maybe one day when the sun comes out and the rest of the time, the rain barely stops. The only good thing is that it is a slow rain so it will refill the aquifers, but my rain barrels have been filled for weeks and are just overflowing now.

It is 68 degrees right now and thickly overcast. It has been raining almost constantly but there should be a break tomorrow or Saturday before more rain is expected.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We survived yesterdays storms. It was sunny and nice all day, 4 pm black clouds moved in and it got dark as night. 6 pm TV weather took over all 5 local TV channels all evening reporting the weather. The big massive storm that covered several States was 1000s of smaller storms. Lots of very heavy rain storms 1 after the other, water runs down the mountains an valleys become large streams that become rivers in 20 minutes, lots of roads were under 5 to 20 ft of water very quick. About 7 pm tornado warnings ever where. The first tornado near us about 8 pm was at I-65 and Rock Springs Rd touched down 18 miles west of us, it touched down several times an moved north closer to Nashville. Tornado #2 was 3 miles north of us I watched the storm from our front porch as it passed by, lightning strikes were every 2, 3, 4 seconds apart wow amazing. Tornado #3 was at the far south side of town 14 miles from us. Tornado #4 was 1 mile south of our house wind was very strong it rained extremely hard & lightning. Tornadoes were not all on the ground all the time, radar showed rotation in many places but tornados were touch & go all evening with damage in many spots where they touched down. It was very intense we were on pins & needles all evening. Every time TV said a tornado was near us I went outside to see how close it is. Tornadoes are easy to see at night every time lightning flashes the sky lights up and tornadoes are easy to see & sound like a freight train in the sky. I never saw a tornado near us we were ready to run hide in a safe place just in case we needed to. Storms moved out of our area and when they were 20 miles east of us tornado warnings were cancelled.

6:30 am sun is come up no damage here or in our neighborhood, TV news damage reports are starting to come in. Nashville got hit hard TV is flashing up 100s of pictures very fast 1 after the other. Lots of trees down, power line poles down, roof damage, roads flooded or roads washed out.

More stormed today at 8pm, Sat & Sun storms, and storms next week.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Glad to hear you didn't get any damage from those storms, Gary. I hope you continue to be as fortunate. Take care.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

7" rain Thursday, 3" rain Fri, 8" rain Sat, it rained all night, more rain Sun. Lots of flooding.
Attachments
100_9564.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

Vernbena
Newly Registered

we are at last getting some sunshine....has been a long Winter this time around....being in curfew from 18.00-6.00 we are understanding but so confined from people interactions....

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Tornado emergency for Carthage, debris from tornado is said to be flying 10,000 feet. My cousin is there, but he could get blown away and I wouldn't hear about it.
My area is on the edge of the severe storm blob. Power flickered a teensy bit. I stood on the porch and watched the clouds blow quicky over me. No rain. Now I'll have to water my garden with the hose, I emptied my buckets and barrel out for cleaning.
If a tornado were coming, wouldn't the wildlife be silent? As I stood on the porch observing the distant storm, crickets and birds chirped and bats were flying around. I would believe there would be a dead silence if the wildlife sensed a tornado were coming.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Weather reports change by the hour. We went to bed 10pm we thought rain was over but it rained all night. Flooding is worse I-24 is closed it is under 4 ft of water. Weather reports say, rain run off for next 2 days flooding with get worse. Police rescued people from flooding houses all night. Shopping center parking lots are lakes. 1 person dead in flooded car. Homeless people rescued. Travelers sleeping in their car over night rescued. Williamson country 53 roads are close for flooding. Bridges washed out roads closed. Weather report claims this rain is moving out but it is still raining. I-24 near us has no moving traffic cars are parked for as far as we can see. I wish I could have this water for the garden when we have 3 months of no rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T03uOrZ72A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw3ughCTux0

applestar
Mod

Terrible.... I know days of rain isn’t unusual for you this time of the year, but isn’t the threat of tornadoes? It’s devastating for the people affected. :(

It’s raining and dark here this morning but remnant of the bulk with scattered thunderstorms seems to be passing to the northwest. There is a more severe-looking connected mass that is heading more dead-on for us along the DC-Delaware trajectory. We’ll find out how much strength is left after passing over the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays.

In my general experience, birds seem to become restless with an approach of severe weather — I sense a feeling of “anticipation” ~ “dread” ...”it’s coming... it’s coming” With smattering of warning calls, rustling and settling and occasional flyovers that feel like heralds calling out warnings and panicky timid ones like doves and small birds seeking cover. Then a general silence during the storm, and then bursts of trills and calls after the system has passed and the rain trickles to drizzle. I might be being fanciful tho :wink:

Frogs (I think you are hearing Spring Peepers and/or other treefrogs not crickets) tend to join in and be loud in quiet steady rain. Hm...do those anoles “sing” too?
(OK green anoles don’t but geckos might chirp according to this article)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:16 am
Terrible.... I know days of rain isn’t unusual for you this time of the year, but isn’t the threat of tornadoes? It’s devastating for the people affected. :(
Yes we get lots of rain & lots of tornadoes every spring but it is not usually this bad. May 2010 we had 25" of rain in 2 days all interstate highways were under water and closed for several days. About 10 years before that one evening Channel 5 news reported they stopped counting tornadoes when it passes 400 then later they said, total tornadoes were about 480 for the week.

7:30 am this morning I drove ¾ mile up the road to look at water in the dry stream the bridge is under 6 ft of water & TV News said, water there is 23 ft deep. Bridge is not visible. I have never seen more than 2 ft of water over that bridge.
Attachments
100_9573.JPG

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Massive tornado last night killed one women, injured 2 people and a horse. Man said he was watching the news and then stood on his back porch. He saw and heard the tornado coming and went to hide in the bathroom. Afterwards he went out in his front yard and saw a different tornado but it went back up into the sky. Thankfullly it must have been a puny one. Considerable building damage was done.
Stay safe, Gary. I'm sorry to hear about the severe flooding in Tennessee. Looks like Tornado Alley will be wreaking havoc this year.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

28° Fri & 27° Sat. Dark at 7:30 PM
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Got down to 27° last night, so it was a couple of degrees colder than Wednesday night, and we are only supposed to get up to 43° today - about 15° below average. Still windy, but not nearly as bad as yesterday.

imafan26
Mod

It's April already and it is still 61 degrees right now. It will probably peak around 80 today. My cats are complaining that I am late getting their breakfast. I don't like getting up when it is this cold. We'll have a couple of days of sunshine but by Easter Sunday the rain will be back.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I to hate rising on cold mornings. If I had cats they'd be displeased with me to.

I think I have been going through my 'Easter snap' these past few days. Next Monday I should be able to get everything planted in the ground without fear of frost. But next week (Wednesday I think) shows chance of rain.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

So much wind. There were 44 mph wind gusts at a nearby airport, yesterday. Not so unusual and we have had higher winds in recent weeks.

The temporary hoop house over a couple of beds here at home has only cool season veggies in there. I'm not sure how much outside air comes in but, even in its wind-protected location, there is little chance for it to warm above outdoor temperatures. That's even during windy and cloudy afternoons.

For sure, it is freezing in the hoop house this morning since it's 23°f outdoors. The greenhouse temperature is A-ok and that is where most of my focus has been and not putting a heater in the hoop house. The little plants have been been in the beds for about a week, watered in good - Asian greens, broccoli raab, etc.

Still have peppers and eggplant in the house waiting for their first visit to the greenhouse.

Steve
could have put this in the dream thread :): woke before 4am dreaming that I was in the forest, toasting the skins off cherry tomatoes over an open fire so that I could make fresh salsa sauce :) for my eggs at breakfast

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”