applestar
Mod

Re: 2021 What's the Weather Like Where You Are?

We have a rare and unlikely tornado watch going on. We’ve had touch downs in the area that uprooted trees etc before though so fingers crossed.

I would just like some rain and no extra winds please….

imafan26
Mod

The remnants of TS Guillermo brought some rain. Other storms are cycling across the Pacific but so far, they are staying far to the South. The only problem it has caused is that all of the dragon fruit flowers fell off, so no fruit was formed. There are more flowers so hopefully, maybe I will get some fruit later. The grass needs weed whacking along with the weeds. On the positive side, I haven't had to water as much.

It rained again last night. It is around 75 degrees right now and overcast. It feels muggy because the humidity is so high and the winds are only 3 mph.

There was a tsunami alert after the 8.2 quake in Alaska last night, (it was 8:25 p.m Hawaii time), but it only generated waves less than a foot in Alaska so the Pacific wide alert was cancelled. Those waves would have reached Hawaii around 12:53 a.m. I am not in an inundation zone so it is more critical for those living on the coastline and ships in docks.

There is drought and Fires in Canada and the West and severe storms on the East coast, floods in Germany and China along with more earthquakes along the rim of fire. The earth seems to be much more geologically active. And this is La Nina year. I wonder what will be next.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

zdrought2.jpg
zdrought2.jpg (62.77 KiB) Viewed 1504 times

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We had the most amazing lightning storm I ever saw last night. We knew storm was coming we were watching it on TV it was dumping rain at a rate of 3.5" per hour. Nashville TN got it worse than us the Garth Brooks concert was cancelled when the lightning storm hit the stadium. We could hear the storm coming it sounded like military artillery guns shooting as fast as they could. I love lightning storms but this one worried me I never saw so much continuous none stop powerful lightning strikes. When the storms full power finally arrived about 12 midnight it was, flash boom, flash boom, flash boom, flash boom, flash boom, flash boom, very fast, about 150 lightning strikes per minutes. Every lightning strike was so powerful it light up very bright outside like the sun came up for half a second. Lightning flashes were so fast I never saw anything like that before. I kept expecting something to get struck by lightning then hear lots of sirens but no sirens. Lightning scares wife but it never scares me but this storm was starting to worry me. There was no high wind at our house just extremely hard rain & lightning for 20 minutes. TV news this morning is showing video of the amazing continuous lightning. TV said, several things were stuck by lightning in our town & 1 house burned down. More storms in the forecast for today but temperatures today will be cooler so storms won't be as powerful as last night. I was glad to see that lightning storm after dark it would not have been so amazing in day light.

Our air is full of smoke, very hazy, we are all feeling allergy sick today.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Even cooler today, but very humid already. 71°, @81% humidity, and only supposed to get to 76°. Still, not bad, and rain is supposed to be coming through, but I won't hold my breath for it.

imafan26
Mod

It is 74 degrees now with trades that have died down a bit 20-25 mph. It is a nice sunny day. Hurricane Hilda is inching closer and the path is uncertain as it is expected to interact with TD 9E in a day or two which may make the course uncertain. It is expected to be downgraded to a depression and storm before it gets close to us. Wind shear is weakening the storm. The system behind it is unnamed but it likely to develop off the coast of Mexico. It is too far away to be of concern now. It will be next week Wednesday-Friday before Hilda gets here.

There is a large brush fire on the Big Island Hamakua coast where my mom grew up. It has burned 14,000 acres. The breezy trades is not going to help. Some people have been evacuated. That part of the Big Island has been dry for a few years now.

It has been a busy August in Hurricane season. Thankfully, the Pacific High is still around and most of the storms are moving in colder waters and weakening before they get here.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Rain starting, but I'm not expecting it to be heavy, just enough to make the garden wet, so I can't work on things! At least it's staying fairly cool.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Our forecast. smoke is very bad here.
Attachments
100_1187.JPG
100_1191.JPG
100_1186.JPG
100_1184.JPG

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Last night there was much lightening and rumbles. This morning around 8 it finally came a beautiful downpour. Current temperature is a nice 74. I will cherish this day because after the sun comes out probably tomorrow everything will be yucky and terribly humid.

imafan26
Mod

Your day temperatures are higher than mine. I am averaging around 80 degrees when it is overcast. At sea level it would be about 85 degrees. Your night temperatures drop more than mine. It is usually in the 70's at night. It was gusty and it rained most of the night. While I do get summer rain, most of it is overnight with a few brief sprinkles during the day.

applestar
Mod

Rain is in the forecast for every single day of this week all the way through the weekend. I don’t remember ever seeing forecast like this in mid- August.

Most days it’s only expected to rain part of the day, but since my garden is in harvest phase for the tomatoes (I could be harvesting some fruits every single day) and near harvest for the melons, this is NOT welcome.

Moreover, the cucurbits are already showing powdery mildew and tomatoes and some of the peppers have creeping fungal issues, all of which is going to be exacerbated.

TODAY, I should preventatively spray the garden to strengthen against fungal issues, dig and build planting beds for fall crop planting, and scatter fertilizer to take advantage of the incoming rain to soak into the soil … I could be turning the compost pile to pull out some finished and near finished compost to put in the aforementioned new beds …. can’t do them all.

I think I’ll concentrate on figuring out what to spray first.

imafan26
Mod

That is usually my forecast, rain every day, but not a lot. Usually, it rains at night and in short bursts during the day. Short rain in the daytime, usually makes things muggier when it steams off. It has rained at night, but not a heavy rain and it dries off fast. Most of my crops have been selected for disease resistance, so they can handle this kind of rain. The red currant does have the worse fungal disease, but it is still producing. Camaro tomato hardly shows any disease at all and it is an old plant. Progress cucumber is young and has a lot of growing space so it looks mildew free at present. Tropical herbs and vegetables don't get a lot of mildew or fungal issues.

When the weather becomes less predictable, a lot of the things that used to do well in other circumstances will suffer. I hope you can still get a good harvest from your garden. All I know is if there is going to be a prolonged deluge, either harvest before or wait a few days after or the fruit will be waterlogged and mealy.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

At last, a blue sky, comfortable day!

Yesterday, it was "threatening" to rain and the smoke was horrible in the afternoon. We have been into the Very Unhealthy category a few times but this was solidly Unhealthy for hours and hours. It didn't rain here but did for several hours on a wildfire, not far away.

About every week, the Weather Service predicts a 40-50% chance. In a few days, we will have another chance. It's encouraging that these days are coming a little more frequently.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

Yesterday, it was overcast dark and it poured buckets in a short time. Today, it was nice and clear and I got to spend a couple hours in the yard this morning taking cuttings and pulling a few (not enough to notice) weeds.

Yesterday, it rained too much to do much outside so I cleaned the house instead and used my new Eufy vac for the first time. It got stuck under the trunk. I will need to plug that hole but otherwise it did a good job. I had to babysit the imartine robot vac to make sure the cat's would behave and not try to sabotage it. For the most part they ignore it unless it goes into their space. That one got stuck under a chair and I had to rescue it twice.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

No rain at all, from those remnants of Fred, that came through yesterday and this morning - it all went west of the river, until it got quite a bit N of us, with some rainfall totals over 5", and one tornado reported! I saw lighting late last night, while going to sleep, but it was in the distance.

This morning it was very windy, which at least makes this disgustingly humid weather more bearable. Close to 90° again later on.

imafan26
Mod

It is a nice day today, but I have to run errands. My garbage disposal broke (it is only 4 years old. They don't make them to last). Yesterday, I was trying to reprogram my garage door opener and I broke the cover and when I tried to put the cover on again, I broke the reset button. So today, I bought another garage door opener and my handyman luckily was able to come to fix it today. I also got perlite. Soon, it will be harder to find garden supplies at the garden shops since the garden space will be taken over by Christmas decorations and stuff.

It is humid but only 83 degrees and the trades are back. There has been rain off and on for brief times. Sometimes it is annoying when it starts raining when I am in the middle of watering the yard or trying to work.

September is actually the beginning of my cool weather season when I can plant things like broccoli, carrots, zucchini, daikon, and beets again. The kale will be sweeter in colder temperatures. Once the temps drop below 75 (around November, I can start planting greens like lettuce again. While I like spinach, the spinach substitutes have a longer season and are less fussy to grow. I am amazed this is the first time nasturtiums have lasted through the summer. Normally, they are goners past June. Cucumbers, tomato, pepper, and eggplant will be fine. I could not start eggplant or some peppers very well in the colder months but the plants will do fine although they will produce less fruit when the temperature drops below 70. Tomatoes usually last about 9 months (indeterminate), eggplant and some varieties of hot peppers will live for years. Unfortunately, the bugs and weeds don't stop either.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

6:30 am we are getting a crazy amount of rain today. TN hills & mountains shed water like the roof of a house low places will be flooded in 1 hour and 20 ft deep with water in a few hours. The dry stream near us has come up 20 to 24 feet deep many times in 6 hours. It has rained all night and still raining. This storm has dumped close to 10" of rain per hour in several places. We are expected to receive 7" of rain today. This is crazy Aug weather we never have this much rain until Spring. I hope this rain clears the air we are still coughing from forest fire smoke 2000 miles away. 10:30 am storms are dumping 12.2" of rain per hour. 2:10 pm rain has stopped and sun is out.

5:20 pm interstate highway I-40 is under water are I-24 is under water. Water come up so quick in some places people had no time to leave, rescue boats found people setting on their house roof in the rain. 10 ft water pushed 100s of cars out of parking lots and left them in piles. More rain on the way until 2 am tonight. More of the same 10" of rain per hour expected in several places.

10 pm TV News said we had 17.02" of rain today. WOW that is amazing. It is still raining. Several people drown and several people missing.
Attachments
100_1411.JPG
100_1414.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I was wondering how you were dealing with that rain, Gary, after hearing how widespread the flooding was in TN. Stay safe!

imafan26
Mod

The news said that there is a large wet mass heading our way. It should reach the Big Island on Sunday and be in my neighborhood on Monday or Tuesday. Warnings are that heavy rain is possible and those in flood prone areas should prepare in advance.

It is still overcast now with a few sprinkles. I haven't watered my yard yet and I haven't decided to water or not.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

pepperhead212 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:42 pm
I was wondering how you were dealing with that rain, Gary, after hearing how widespread the flooding was in TN. Stay safe!
Official rain fall Saturday was 17.37" in about 24 hrs it broke the State record by 4+ inches. We are on high ground we never got much flooding. This is the worse disaster I have ever seen, worse than tornado damage. There are many places in TN with flood damage but TV only chooses to show the worse of it in Waverly TN. Interstate highways were all several feet under water. Dayton TN & several other places got terrible flood damage too but nothing on TV about it except the worse in Waverly. The most amazing photos I see are streams full of cars where gravel covered the cars up the only thing that can be seen are the car roof tops and inside of every car is full or gravel. I wonder how many people were buried alive in cars. Several places 100s of cars were washed up in big piles. I have not had TV on since 6 am last thing I heard was 21 dead, 50 missing in Waverly TN but another report said, several 100 missing state wide. It probably will not be known total dead & total missing for several more days.

This copy/paste came up on Facebook a few minutes ago along with 74 amazing flood photos I have not seen on TV. If you saw pictures on TV you probably only saw Waverly TN pictures. I'm not putting pictures on here you can probably do google search and find 100s of pictures. I have several empty 5 gallon buckets setting around the garden they are all full to the top with 15½" of water. I know we had 15½" of rain in our yard Saturday.

===================================================================

By Charlie Rose

I'm still numb to the devastation I'm seeing in my hometown. I have not been able to get in touch with my parents but I rest at ease knowing they are removed from this area and on high ground.
To put this into perspective, imagine for a moment, on a Saturday morning, that you wake up at 8:00 to realize that water is creeping into your back yard. By the time you finish getting everyone up and going and grabbing some things to bring with you, it is 8:30 and you look out and realize you cannot go anywhere because the water is already at a level too dangerous to leave. Water has risen so quickly it is halfway up on your car tires. What you don't realize is that throughout the night it has been raining nonstop. Waverly has received upwards of 10" of rain while the small town of McEwen, just east of there is getting record setting rainfall amounting to over 16" in less than 24 hours. That matters because much of their rainfall feeds the creeks and streams heading west that flow through downtown Waverly.
So before you can react, you are trapped, climbing into your attic because you don't have a way to get to your roof or you've found a way through the water to get to your rooftop. There you feel a little better knowing that the water will subside and help will come. But you don't realize how much rain has fallen and the water levels rise so much faster than the rain coming down. It doesn't make sense. You try to call for help but your cell phone has no connection. From your rooftop your pleas for help combine with others, as their screams along with your fears start to get unnerving. Adding to this you see houses on fire. This makes no sense at all and you begin to panic. Then as you watch cars and sheds rush by in the flood waters you feel a shift and your house begins to move off its foundation. Even more troubling is the house you see moving toward you, striking your house nudging it even further toward the unknown. At this point, you hope and you pray that you are safe, that help is on its way, that someone is looking out for you. You just don't know.
Just imagine. For so many, this was their reality yesterday morning in Waverly, TN. I'm thankful my family is safe. But think of how terrified so many were, how lost so many are right now and how much pain my hometown is in. I'm saddened to know that infants were lost out of their father's grasp while trying to find safety, that classmates perished on this horrific day and that there's so many more still missing.
So please take a moment and send a good thought or prayer. My home needs you. My community needs you.

imafan26
Mod

Wow! That is a lot devastation Gary. I am glad you are safe.

The remnants of tropical storm Linda is due to arrive today. It actually feels like a hurricane coming as the trades are off and it is very hot, humid, and muggy. We are not getting 17 inches of rain and tornadoes are very rare here (not impossible). 10 inches of rain is predicted and gale force winds. Maui, Oahu, Molokai, and Kauai are expected to see the most rain. The Big Island will get some rain but the storm will be passing to the North and not pass over the island itself. Flooding and power outages are expected and people are being urged to stay home and off the roads once the rain gets here. I have most of the sensitive things unplugged already. I just have the vaccum base, my cpap machine to unplug. I am charging up the phones and the computer has a back up battery that is fully charged. So I could still safely close the computer if the power suddenly goes off and unplug everything to prevent the surge damage when the power returns.

applestar
Mod

I can’t get over how DEVASTATING flooding events have basically encircled the globe at this point. Each news showing cars and houses carried by rushing waters, entire first floor under water, hillsides collapsing in mudslides and landslides….

…All these disasters during which rescuers and rescued are unable to fully be protected with COVID mitigation measures….

Henri was different here — more severe and flooding in more northerly and hilly parts of NJ. But not very windy even there by all accounts — It was eerie actually because at my house, it was awfully quiet all Saturday night while it rained steadily — I kept checking the wind reports and it was almost always 0 then a little bit — never got more than 2mph while I was checking the reports.

Yesterday morning it was wet out but not more than spitting drizzle. TODAY it was raining very very hard. I put on a hooded windbreaker but it’s not waterproof and by the time I came back inside, My clothes were wet through and through.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Our TV showed devastating flood conditions in Tennessee. No post from Gary today which is unusual. Gary, are you / is he OK?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Vanisle_BC wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:04 pm
Our TV showed devastating flood conditions in Tennessee. No post from Gary today which is unusual. Gary, are you / is he OK?
Yes we are ok we are on high ground the dry stream water was about 2 ft from being up on the road that would make water about 25 ft deep or more. Waverly is only about 1 hr drive west of Nashville TN that is why Waverly is in the News and other places 2 hr and 3 hr drive away are not on Nashville News. Dayton TN is probably on Chattanooga TV News it is 1 hr from there. Best way to keep your vehicle from float away like a boat is open the doors quick as you can so vehicle fills up with water inside.
Attachments
235493946_10223651550892024_1388596973431983015_n.jpg

applestar
Mod

Stay safe @Gary350. Hope your garden gets through the wet conditions.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:00 pm
Vanisle_BC wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:04 pm
Yes we are ok we are on high ground the dry stream water was about 2 ft from being up on the road that would make water about 25 ft deep or more. Waverly is only about 1 hr drive west of Nashville TN that is why Waverly is in the News and other places 2 hr and 3 hr drive away are not on Nashville News. Dayton TN is probably on Chattanooga TV News it is 1 hr from there. Best way to keep your vehicle from float away like a boat is open the doors quick as you can so vehicle fills up with water inside.
Gary I'm so glad you're ok. I'll be keeping you and Tennessee in my prayers.

imafan26
Mod

Linda is passing through Oahu. It started yesterday but it was already a weakening system. It has brought a slow rain that is still falling but not much damage at all. Even the wind was only about 15-20 mph. This is a good soaking rain that we need. Most of the rain fell on the windward side and they are used to that.

NOAA site said that the extreme weather around the world is due to climate change. There will be more to come. Earthquakes are also becoming more frequent as the tectonic plates shift. Then there is Covid to deal with as well.

Stay safe Gary.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Attachments
RAIN2.jpg
RAIN2.jpg (14.42 KiB) Viewed 1357 times

applestar
Mod

I hope @pepperhead and @SQWIB are OK.

We’re OK here — Ida hit hard southwest of us and across the river — bulk of the system passed just west of Philadelphia and I’m watching highways and bridges I usually travel when driving around the city with unbelievable flooding damages and tornado sightings and damages on the news.

I saw posted videos of tornado/waterspout on the Delaware River at a bridge close to SQWIB’s neighborhood. :eek:

Most of the system didn’t cross into NJ until further north. This weather pattern is typical during winter storms, too.

Closest lightning strike was a mile away.

…Hugs to folks who were affected and thoughts/prayers for swift recovery.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I dodged a bullet last night - only heavy rain here, but tornados touched down south and north of here. I hope you are all ok out there.

webmaster
Site Admin

We were largely spared in Western MA.
There were storm warnings for communities all around us, N,S,E,W but our little town was spared. We got regular rain and no high winds at all.

applestar
Mod

53°F this morning :shock:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

We had 3 days with 42° (6° C) mornings. Very pleasant days, without much smoke and slowly warming.

All this while the East has such dramatic storms and flooding from Ida.

I'm leaving the AC, floor and window fans handy but unsure if it is laziness in putting them away or wisdom and expecting several days next week in 90's. How.some.ever, baking 4 peach pies this morning from the front yard tree. So, I have kitchen window open and a window fan in the South Room.

;) Steve

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Late yesterday evening I had a pleasant but short thunderstorm. My peas flopped over and had to stand them up. This morning is already a hot sticky 84. We need more rain!!!

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Good grief; a sudden one-degree-Celsius night, in mid-September! We're officially supposed to be frost free till the second week of October. Luckily we had warning: Harvested leaves of all the basils & covered one plant that will hopefully survive to make seed. Also covered our little fig tree but its fruit was unlikley to mature & ripen anyway.

Supposedly going back to 9-10 deg. nights for at least the next ten days. Phew! But now we're supposed to get 60mm rain tomorrow, onto dry, cracked ground.

Time for a tour of inspection and see how everything has made out. Pesto-making later....

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

First off, VanIsle does your fig tree usually ripen a crop for you?

The thermometer is down to the low 40's (5°C) again this morning. We have been having pleasant days, blue sky with little smoke.

A storm system is coming into western Washington. By tomorrow AM, the Weather Service says that it will "spread the wealth around" to northern Oregon and the Interior Northwest.

The rain will be welcome. We are right at the lowest amount of precipitation for any year on record at 5". Most of that moisture normally falls during winter months but this has been an exceptional summer drought.

I have wanted to take a little drive through a nearby range of mountains, past a tiny mountain lake, down the mountain to a larger lake. I will resist that urge for a daytrip. Any direction, the landscape is dry dry dry. I know that we would pass through an area burned in a wildfire this summer.

Within a few days of the nice rain predicted, it is likely to freeze. Perhaps, we are returning to more normal weather since this is quite usual for this time of year. Over the past several winters, the snowfall at higher elevations has been very close to normal. We can hope that this will continue and be of benefit to our rivers, lakes and aquifers. Yes.

Steve

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Steve; The radio said we were down to 1 deg. C. but my outdoor (mechanical) max/min thermometer said 4 degrees. I'm inclined to believe it over the radio. You know how those media folks love to exaggerate :).

My fig 'tree' is a chest-high shrub that has begun to put on real growth after maybe 8 years of 'doing nothing', first in a pot then planted out 2 yr ago. We did have 2 unripe fruits from it last year but now there are about 2 doz immature figs which I don't expect will ripen. There was no early (breba) crop.

It's a 'Brown Turkey' which is the variety local folks recommend. Downtown I've seen a very big old fig tree loaded with ripe fruit so they're definitely viable; but here we're about 3 miles in and 150m up from the waterfront - gets about 2 degrees hotter and colder than in town.

That's probably way more than you want to know about my fig tree & climate :). Enjoy the rain!

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Didn't get enough rain from Nicholas at all. Huston got it rough, my cousin sent me a picture of her flattened okra plant. Today is cloudy but my weather app lied and is showing 70% chance of rain this morning but on the radar there is nothing around me. That 70% should stand for: 70% chance for getting no rain. Temperature is a yucky 75 degrees.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Much warmer today - already in the mid 80s, while yesterday was only 76° for a high. However, the humidity was disgusting yesterday - up to 73° dewpoints, while today it is "only" 66°, which is still disgusting, but tomorrow is supposed to get much better.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It started raining yesterday morning. It rained so hard for 20 minutes & it was so loud it hurt our ears. 3½" of rain in 20 minutes. About 1 hr later it rained again. About 12 noon it rained harder for 30 minutes. It rained all day and rained all night and its still raining. 60% to 80% chance of rain every day for the next 4 days. I don't like rain anymore it makes me feel like a prisoner of the house. When I was younger there was no such thing as bad weather I was outside every day. Bad weather is an attitude problem we develop when we get old.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”