imafan26
Mod

Re: 2021 What's the Weather Like Where You Are?

It is 62 degrees and the weather has been relatively dry. The rain is falling in the usual spots on the windward side of the island. Some rain is expected from the passing system but it will likely be brief and scattered. It has been relatively dry the last week with a few brief sprinkles here and there. I will still have to water the yard today. The highs are expected to be in the mid 70's.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Rain, rain and more rain. Today, Friday and Saturday. I had to cover my poor Lima bean seed. I hate this time of year, we always get too much rain and it causes nothing but stress to gardeners having to replant washed away seed. And this year, when seeds are in such demand, it'll be more of a problem.

imafan26
Mod

It is nice and clear. It was 61 degrees this morning at 7 a.m. At 10:30 a.m it is only 73 degrees. I have been working outside between breaks. I've watered the yard and potted up a few plants. It is warmer outside than in the house.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It started drizzling at about 1:30 pm today, and was on and off all day, but it didn't even register on the rain guage - must have evaporated as fast as it fell! If I hadn't been planning on working with the soil mix for the SIPs, I would have worked in it, it was so light. Maybe tomorrow, before it starts again. Temp is about average, for this time - 62°, last time I looked.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We have been on the beach for 5 days, Gulf of Mexico weather is 76° to 88°F, sunny & nice all day Monday. A few rain showers, Tuesday evening & Wed morning & Thurs evening & Fri morning. A very nice breeze every day. 2 more days of nice weather we hope.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

It's been unseasonably warm & dry here for more than a week; 28C today and forecast to maybe get slightly warmer tomorrow, not cooling significantly for a few more days. Lots of budding going on so I hope we don't get another frost.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Good Heavens, VanIsle !

Eighty degree weather on the colonial Fahrenheit scale - on Vancouver Island?? Here I have been pleased with our very first afternoons reaching 70°f! That would be 21°C. Certainly, some warm, sunny Pacific Northwest weather for a couple of days.

Yes, the peach tree burst into bloom yesterday. Grape hyacinth have joined the daffodils and crocus. Forsythia and cherry blossoms must be just about to drop off while the ornamental plums are starting up. And, what are these, Japanese magnolia?
:)
Steve
pulled some dandelions before mowing the backyard this morning

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

It's wet and squishy out there from all the excess rain the past few days and thankfully I have a week reprieve before another huge chance of thunderstorms.

Last night got colder than I expected (44) and my tomatoes foliage seemed floppy. The next few nights with next Wednesday being the worst, will be in the 40's. I feel like I need to dig my tomatoes back up and put them back in the greenhouse.

Current temperature is 64, breezy and sunny.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

WE can not see the SUPER MOON. Nice sunny sky all day but very over cast & cloudy after dark every night. Very high wind gusting to 30 mph yesterday in the 80°s wow the wind felt good.

applestar
Mod

It’s supposed to get hot here today — high of 86°F —then back down to 60s and 70s. We only managed to get a glimpse of the moon out of the windows and through the trees in the woods behind the house. Even so, it was HUGE looking At maybe 30° up — it looked like what you would normally see rising or setting closer to the horizon.

Looking at the trees in the daylight, I can see the trees are really leafing out —no wonder we couldn’t see the moon very well.

I can remember when these trees were much shorter and we used to be able to watch distant fireworks above the trees, then it got so we would joke that we could still see if we were to get up on the roof somehow.... Now it wouldn’t be possible even then.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

5:30 am Sun is starting to come up. Coffee on the patio with, birds, dog & cat. Birds are very loud. Cats wants petting. Dog came to say Hi then returned to her pillow. Cat wants to smell my coffee. 66° an patio is dry after yesterdays all day, rain, storms & tornadoes. Still can't see the stars or super moon. TV says, more storms in 2 hours.

imafan26
Mod

It rained heavily yesterday in the afternoon for a couple of hours. It is 68 degrees now with a high expected of around 82. More passing showers may be coming today.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It is a miracle that we get to see the sky for 2 days then another week of more rain. 45° this morning warming up to 75°. We finally get to see the super moon 6 days late. Trees sound like an orchestra of birds, some louder than others & the wood pecker too, it sure does sound nice. What a wonderful world the lord has made.
Attachments
100_0014.JPG

imafan26
Mod

It is 65 degrees now and is supposed to get up to about 84 degrees. There have been some passing afternoon clouds and overnight showers that are typical. Most of the rain is falling on the windward side of the island which is usual. I live in Central Oahu and I will get some drift of rain from the trade winds once in a while. So far my new rain gauge has had one large drop in it. I guess that meant that I got less then .10 precipitation. The weather pattern sure is strange. It has been cooler here than some of you have been reporting.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I've been super busy on a spring cleaning kick, but it's been rainy the past couple of days. Tonight is more storms and rain tomorrow. More predicted for next Tuesday.

imafan26
Mod

It has rained in the afternoon and overnight, typical for this time of the year. When it rains at night it is humid during the day, like it is now.

I have been doing some heavy duty cleaning for the last month. My garbage cans have been full every week ( usually, I have two bags and my sister dumps her trash in my can and tells me about it afterwards). Some 30 year old things have been breaking. My garage door was serviced and the 30 year old coil was tightened. My handyman replaced a broken GFCI and light switch and changed my living room light bulb and replaced the entry light fixture with the one I found while cleaning up (the 30 old one worked but was rusting badly). I could not turn the screw to get the cover off. My BIL moved out my broken dryer and washer so I got to clean the laundry room floor for the first time in a lot of years. The new washer and dryer will be coming on Monday (it won't last 30 years).

I still have more things to purge. I must say it feels weird to have so much empty space. I am not used to it.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Storms, high wind, lightning, started about 2 am. Garden is under water again, if potatoes survive this it will be a miracle they are already looking bad. TV said 18 tornado sightings & only 2 touch downs at the moment with 7 houses damaged. Rain is not letting up & suppose to get worse. More tornados forecast for this evening. Northern TN & southern KY are in a flash flood & tornado warning. Straight line wind 65 mph.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Weather Radio woke us up about 5 am with Tornado warnings. Line of storms across the whole state of TN and part of KY. It is interesting Doppler Radar can find rotations in several locations along a distance of 300 miles. One radar report on TV shows 3 tornadoes side by side I was not quick enough to get a photo. It looks like KY is getting it worse than TN. Lots of storm damage photos coming in already now that sun is up. It is dead calm 76° at our house at the moment we are about to get hammered storm is only 20 miles from us. Now we wait see how bad it is when we get hit.

Update. 7:20 am rain & wind were amazing for 20 minutes. Garden flooded again. Technology is amazing radar can detect debris in the rotation. Top photo 7:51 am is a tornado touch down in the town of Smithville TN several visual sightings & damage.

Does anyone else have storms like this? We never had storms like this with tornadoes in IL. MI or AZ 55 years ago. It is very typical for TN rain to suddenly stop then have only 4 rains all summer until Oct. I wish I could place my order for a rain like this once a week for the garden June, July & Aug. Sad to know there will be a lot of homeless people today.
Attachments
100_0062.JPG
100_0049.JPG
100_0047.JPG
100_0044.JPG
100_0040.JPG
100_0039.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue May 04, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 11 times in total.

applestar
Mod

Stay safe! Image

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Gary350, Prayers and positive thoughts for you, and everyone else in those storm areas. Stay safe!

imafan26
Mod

Yes, do stay safe. It seems like some parts of the country are not getting much of a break from having one storm after another pass by and so many tornadoes! The climate is definitely changing and we are all in for extremes of weather conditions. I have plants that are blooming two months early. The night temperatures are still in the mid 60's. Days in the low 80's with a surprise sprinkle now and then. Overall, the rainfall has been below average except for the flooding rains on Kauai and windward Oahu.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Be safe, @Gary!
I'm having a small thunderstorm right now. The worst of it is below me though. Tornado alley strikes again!

Update: I take 'small thunderstorm' back, I just got a severe thunderstorm warning. It looks black outside. Guess I better go sit near the closet...

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Broken record, crazy weather does not stop, 45° again this morning, storms, 65 mph wind, 1" to 1.5" of flash flood rain every day, garden is cold mud, 5 weeks of this, another week of this in the forecast. Lawn mower has a flat tire. LOL.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Rain, rain go away; until I really need you a much later day.

Loud thunderstorm early this morning. Lightening was so bright I had to bury myself under the covers. Yard is wet and squishy and the plants are muddy. More rain this evening, night and probably tomorrow. Current temperature is 68, and is partially sunny.

applestar
Mod

Overnight mid-40’s in the upcoming forecast?! :shock: :x
Attachments
D434B8AF-905D-40E3-97CC-22C2D87B408A.jpeg

applestar
Mod

Yep. 48°F (feels like 47) is the official temp this morning. Raining and high of 52 is the forecast.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It only got down to 53° here overnight, and only supposed to get to 55° today and tomorrow. And it rained just over an inch, so far today - 1.02", adding to .72" yesterday, and the .82" Wednesday, so we finally got rain! Only .66" in all of May, until this week.

imafan26
Mod

It is 66 degrees now and will probably go up around 82-84 degrees today. No rain in sight. I got to see the moon in the early morning a couple of days ago. It was beautiful.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Lots of winds - gusts over 45mph. Now, we move on to some pleasant days. Just before the WS says we may have record heat.

The house furnace has run a couple of times nearly every day. Too much wind takes a 70°f afternoon and blows all that warmth away by the 42° morning. In fact, it dropped into the 30's this morning.

Fortunately, there has been a half hour of rain now and then to settle some of the dust. There was a 25 acre fire. It was even windier out in that direction. Somehow, the firefighters were able to get it under control and out.

Now if people, people ... Will be careful with fires including their smoldering butts.

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Who remembers the weather man on Saturday Night Live about 1974 or 1975. It was so funny when weather man said, There is no weather anywhere in the world. LMFAO

Sometimes I wish I could say, We are having NO weather. After 15 days of no rain and 93° garden is happy it rained. Wife & I were starting to like the nice weather & now it is 57° with high wind, dripping to 45° tonight. TV claims it will be sunny tomorrow but don't count on it.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

We've had record cold temps for the highs all over this area today - it only went up 1° all day, and supposed to go down to 50° overnight. My peppers won't like that, but it's only once - and not as cold as many are experiencing. No more rain added to that 1.02" in the afternoon, but more is supposed to come down overnight and tomorrow.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I put on my heavy winter, jacket, hat, gloves & went outside in this 50° blizzard to feed the animals & freeze to death. It is crazy how the weather feels is determined by what the weather was before the weather changed. It was in the 90s & now 50° feels cold. If weather had been 10° with snow & ice then warm up to 50° would feel like warm summer weather.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I wondered why so many people were dressed like it was winter again! :lol: Even when it dropped down to 60°, half the people were dressed for winter; I was just enjoying it, after those 90+ days. Then, it got too cool!

It's not quite out of the 50s yet, but it's supposed to get into the 70s later today, breaking this spell of cold weather. I have my shorts on again, though it's really too wet out there to do much, at least in some of the area. At least the wind is minimal, so maybe I can get those covers on my peppers - that area is not soft.

The rain ended at .47" yesterday, so it was just over 3", added to the 2.56" I got the few days before. Now, I hope that we don't get into that excessive rain period, like we had last June and much of July.

imafan26
Mod

The weather forecast yesterday said that the summer is expected to be drier than normal on my side of the planet. The drought monitor has already said that parts of Maui, Molokai, and Big Island are already have a severe drought status and the really hot weather is not here yet.

January 2021 hundreds of axis deer were found dead from starvation on Molokai.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Ridiculous roller-coaster weather: builds up to low 30s Celsius, wobbles slowly back down to 12-13. Gradually builds back up to 30+; rinse & repeat. Plants are very confused.

imafan26
Mod

It isn't just the plants that are confused. It is weird when plants start blooming early or late, it makes it hard to plan out things when things can't go in on time or seeds fail to germinate because we suddenly had a week of rainy nights and cool weather.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Vanisle_BC wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:38 pm
Ridiculous roller-coaster weather: builds up to low 30s Celsius, wobbles slowly back down to 12-13. Gradually builds back up to 30+; rinse & repeat. Plants are very confused.
I'm not quite ready on this side of the mountains to call this the yo-yo year as in 2020, VanIsle. June has barely started. However, we have certainly had cold-hot-cold-hot. The garden plants in the big veggie garden are having a tough time of it, no question. The transplants are all out there and, for the most part, haven't changed a bit since their introduction to wide open spaces!

We have a serious "cooling" going on right now after some record high temperatures this week. Saturday a week ago, the morning started off at 37°f (3°C). Two days ago, the afternoon thermometer hit 96°f (36°C)! We shouldn't go down quite that low this weekend and the forecast isn't for nearly as hot next week.

The consistency in this part of the Intermountain West is this dang wind - once again, gusts right now above 30mph. AND, the most severe lack of rain over the last few months ever recorded, the Weather Service tells us.

Steve

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Idiot internet connection. Now I'll have to retype everything:

Rain, rain and more rain every stinking day! What I wouldn't give for a drought! I am losing tomatoes, this morning I threw out my only Berkley Tie Dye Green and two Blue Beauties! Fruits were turning grey and mushy on the bottom! I'm going to go ahead and pull out the BTDG and BB and replant some new seed. Maybe by the fall everything won't be so stinking wet.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Relatives said, it is 118° in Phoenix. Glad I am not there I can't take the heat like I use to.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I could never take that kind of heat!

Today, we had one last nice day - still only 77°, and super low humidity. Tonight, one more night in the 50s, when I'll leave my exhaust hood on low again, to suck that cool air inside. Tomorrow, back up in the heat again, increasing to the 90s for the weekend.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”