imafan26
Mod

Re: 2021 What's the Weather Like Where You Are?

Ad block is a free download. it will help alot. I have adblock plus. It has cut down a lot on the ads. I have malware bytes as well and that also helps block dangerous sites as well. Some things do break through and you do have to allow some cookies or some sites won't work. But you can balance things so that the most annoying ads are blocked.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:41 pm
Ad block is a free download. it will help alot. I have adblock plus. It has cut down a lot on the ads. I have malware bytes as well and that also helps block dangerous sites as well. Some things do break through and you do have to allow some cookies or some sites won't work. But you can balance things so that the most annoying ads are blocked.
Do you have a link to AD blocker?

imafan26
Mod

I have adblock plus installed on chrome, but it can be installed on other browsers. Firefox uses chrome as a search engine. It is the one that I use. I don't like yahoo because it does have way more ads and I never liked explorer's intrusiveness and I have not used edge so I don't know about that one. I think it will detect your browser and offer the download for it. That is what it does when I open it. It opens a download for firefox because that is what I am using.

https://adblockplus.org/

imafan26
Mod

The weather has improved a lot. We are getting back to normal. The trades are becoming stonger so it is cooler and the winds are back from the NNE.

Although, the State got drenched and there was heavy flooding, power outages, and mudslides, and a few hairy rescues from raging waters, we got off easy. That is not to say everyone escaped with little damage.

Like the residents of B.C. the aftermath is hard for some people to deal with. The unlucky ones who lost everything in the flood waters who are trying to pick up the pieces of their lives now. They are grieving, they are angry that their calls went unanswered when they were in crisis and feeling helpless. They are angry now, as friends and relatives help them clean up but they feel that they have been abandoned by the government and are not getting help fast enough or that no one cares about what they have lost.

There is a lot of flood and mud, roads that need to be repaired, trees that need to be removed, and lives that need to move on. Power was out on Oahu in downtown Honolulu for some, for almost 3 days. It was flickering in some neighborhoods. The substation in Iwilei was flooded and blew 3 transformers and while they were fixing that they discovered an underground cable was also damaged and that is why the outage was so long, but also why the outage was localized. It would have been worse if the main power stations went down instead. That has happened in the past, the sugar mill had to be used to generate power to restart the turbines. The mill is gone now. Now, it would take a nuclear submarine to re energize the main turbines. ( That's happened before too.)

Many of the flooded homes were not in a flood zone. They are not near any streams and they are on rolling hills. Unfortunately, they were in the dips of those hills and water from higher ground came like rivers into their homes and they were flooded in 30 minutes with 4-5 feet of water in their homes and there was nothing anybody could do about it. Since they were not in a flood zone, they don't have flood insurance.

A woman was rescued when the flood waters caused a wall of her house to collapse. During the height of the storm, 5 boys somehow ended up in a drainage canal with raging waters and had to be rescued by firefighters who literally stood in the middle of the floodwaters and caught the boys as they came down the stream.
(This has happened before too.) Roofs were blown off by the wind, and roofs leaked. Cars in underground parking lots were flooded or idiots who drove through the deep water ended up having to be rescued when the cars stalled. Parts of the freeway flooded and crews were out waist deep in the rain, making sure the drains were kept cleared so the water eventually was able to drain off the overpass.

Luckily no one was killed by the storm. All of the islands have similar damage, and everyone has to clean up from it. It could have been worse. The city and State prepared as much as they could by dredging steams and watching spots that had flooded before and having extra emergency personnel to fix power lines when it was safe for them to work it, fire and city personnel to respond to rescues, tarp leaking roofs, and get people and equipment out to clean up the streets, fallen trees, and debris. The mudslides and roads that are impassible will take longer to fix.

While nobody likes things like this happening to them. It has happened before and will probably happen again. We just have to do the best to help each other and hope for a brighter day.

applestar
Mod

All of this past year, massive flooding events have devastated regions, countries, and locations around the globe … one after another, almost as a reminder to all that the climate crisis is not a localized issue but a global one affecting everybody on this blue planet. And I can’t help but to note that it’s almost as if the islands of Hawaii (which after all are tiny specks in the vast Pacific Ocean) was not to be forgotten in this lesson.

My thoughts and prayers to all who were affected by this disaster, and lighting another candle of hope for better times ahead.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

@imafan, I'm so glad you're ok! My thoughts and prayers are with Hawaii! 🙏

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Storms passed us by. It was so creepy to be dead calm outside for 5 hours with no sound at all but we could see lightning flash several miles north of us, too far away to hear thunder. Storms went north west of Nashville TN into KY doppler radar is amazing it shows tornado rotation sometimes 7 tornadoes in several places. Many tornados were touch and go in TN & KY for a while. Storms passed 8 miles away for several hours. Lots of tornado & storm damage 28 miles north of us, sun is up TV is showing damage. A few people were treated for minor injuries. Lots of houses with no roof. Before storms started 5pm TV news reported 100s out of state power line crews are here to help restore electricity.

Forecast for next week.
Attachments
100_3033.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Storms went over me last night. Don't know what time, don't know how long it lasted. I heard a few seconds of it and then slept through right through the rest of it. I guess that's a consequence of listening to thunderstorms on cd to sleep by...

After the storm passed the nice warm temperature plummeted to a freezing windy 50. It's cloudy and overall nasty out there.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

This morning started off with black skies, wind and gentle thunder. I only got three rain buckets cleaned out before it started sprinkling. It has been raining softly all morning. It was much appreciated since I didn't get any Thursday. Now I don't have to water the garden! Current temperature is a lovely 63. Right now I have the window open and am listening to the rain and gentle thunder. Sounds and feels good!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Rain early this morning, and still gray and dismal. Getting colder again, but only back down to average. Monday morning, however, is forecast to get down to 27°, which will be the coldest yet, this season. Most of the cold crops I still have out there are hardy at least to the low 20s, and I've been trying to use them as much as I can.

imafan26
Mod

I was a nice sunny day today. However, it is short-lived. the trade winds are going strong and most of the rain is falling on the ocean or windward sides. Big Island is expected to get most of the thunderstorms. There is more rain in the forecast. Some places that were flooded before, got flooded again. Some roads on other islands will take a long time before they will be fixed and be passable.

With all the rain we had, some places did not get enough to get them off the severe drought category. Others, did get enough to move them a notch, but they need more or they will probably be reclassified again.

applestar
Mod

6:44am — light enough to see out the window with the pre-dawn twilight + the moon!

It’s past full now but looks HUGE about 45° up in the Western sky.

Currently 23°F — a little bit warmer than yesterday’s 20°F 🥶

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

40° this morning sky is cloudy but clouds will probably clear away buy 10 am like it did yesterday we might be able to see the moon & meteor shower tonight 10pm to midnight in the direction of the north star. Dec 21 is the shorted daylight of the year tomorrow days start getting longer. Earth travels 799,452. mile every day at 33,310. mph. I bet I could drive to the grocery store in less than 1 second at 33,310. mph. LOL

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

No white Christmas for me. Mine will be breezy and warm. Wind was severe yesterday and into the night. Is calm this morning which is a good thing. Current temperature is 65 and will rise to somewhere in the 70's. Wonder how many Texas children wrote to Santa this year asking for it to snow today...

imafan26
Mod

It rained last night, but today it is a bright Hawaiian Christmas day. Mele Kalikimaka.
It is 62 degrees and sunny.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

76°F, blue sky with clouds, 30 mph wind, no rain.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It is 7 am already I slept late & the sun is already coming up. I am surprised there is such a heavy fog this morning. I made coffee an noticed fog is moving away already and the front yard is covered with about 300 Robins. I have seen big flocks of black birds before but never seen this may Robins. I went outside to see dog & cat, wind is dead calm, no sound of wind blowing through the trees & leaves. Sky is blue with a few small scattered clouds and moon is at 1 O'clock. Birds sound so extremely loud today it sounds like 600 birds singing. I see a blue bird setting on a limb of the big maple tree. Every thing was wet but 40 minutes later patio table & chairs are dry. 57° outside. I put bird food in the feeders birds usually start coming in a few minutes.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

It's like this:
Screenshot-1.png

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Not as warm as yesterday - low 50s compared to 60° - but very sunny today. I got about 3/4" rain yesterday, and it rained lightly most of the day.

imafan26
Mod

It has been chilly. It was a little warmer today. It was 65 degrees when I got up and at noon it is 73 degrees and a bit overcast. I really feel like it would be nice to wake up to a warm cup of something. I am not a coffee drinker so it would be tea or hot chocolate for me. I just like my caffeine cold, even on a cold morning. So, I huddled in my blanket drinking my morning caffeine, iced tea.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:12 pm
It has been chilly. It was a little warmer today. It was 65 degrees when I got up and at noon it is 73 degrees and a bit overcast. I really feel like it would be nice to wake up to a warm cup of something. I am not a coffee drinker so it would be tea or hot chocolate for me. I just like my caffeine cold, even on a cold morning. So, I huddled in my blanket drinking my morning caffeine, iced tea.
You sound EXACTLY like me: coffee disgusts me but I practically live on sweet tea. But it's been ages since I had hot chocolate. I've got some mix somewhere but I believe it's rather old...

The weather today was very nice, sunny but breezy. High today was 79. Current temp is 73. High chance of rain next Tuesday. Or was that Wednesday?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:59 pm
imafan26 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:12 pm
You sound EXACTLY like me: coffee disgusts me but I practically live on sweet tea. But it's been ages since I had hot chocolate. I've got some mix somewhere but I believe it's rather old...

The weather today was very nice, sunny but breezy. High today was 79. Current temp is 73. High chance of rain next Tuesday. Or was that Wednesday?
67° this morning, I can not hear the birds I forgot to charge hearing aid at bed time they won't be charged for 3 more hours. I use to drink hot chocolate every day for 50 years but not had any in 9 years. I just started drinking coffee 6 years ago. We have severe storms in forecast for WED I wish we had a tornado shelter.

imafan26
Mod

I hope you keep yourself safe. There are a lot of winter storms making the news. However, 90 degrees in Texas was really unusual.

It has been dry for a couple of days, but more rain is expected for New Years Day. I am happy about that. I need a wet roof. Aerial fireworks have been illegal for years, but you could never tell that if you have ever spent any New Year around here. The spent fireworks land on my roof and the house across the street every year. Last year, something hit the wall of my house. The police have announced they will be cracking down on the aerials, but apparently it isn't all that hard for people to get them.

Right now it is 66 degrees and the winds are calm. However, we have a gale warning, so winds will be picking up to 20-35 knots.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I won't wait until our coldest day this week before tossing in some numbers. This isn't unusual weather for here. Winter '20/'21 was unusual, unusually warm!

It was 9°f earlier this morning and at 8 AM has made it up to 10°f, snowing with a windchill of 2° (-13°, -12°, -17 on the Centigrade scale).

Several mornings this week will be dropping into the single digitS' below zero, Fahrenheit.

We have a very skimpy snow cover locally with little chance of more of that insulation. The ground has frozen and will freeze deeper. The Cascade Mountains are catching the snow and, I think that our Rocky Mountain ranges might be doing okay. That means good things for the evergreens and for the rivers.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

It is going to be a wet New Year. It is 68 degrees now. It rained most of the night, but there is an opening now and the skies are clearing temporarily. It gave me the chance to collect my green waste can from the curb and put it back inside the yard. There is a low to the Northwest that is pulling up moisture from the South, hence the palm leaves are hardly moving. Who needs an anemometer when I have palm leaves. It is also why it is a few degrees warmer than it has been. There will be more bands of rain that will be coming later today. All in all, it really is not unusual for it to be raining this time of year, so it is pretty normal.

The news has been reporting record snowfall and people and trucks piled up or stranded on the roads. I saw pictures of snow packed high on rooftops. Here's a tidbit for you. My house insurance policy covers snow damage for my roof. Those insurance companies, probably know that while we may get freak hail in summer, snow on my rooftop won't happen unless hell freezes over. However, my incredibly expensive policy won't cover hurricane damage, only winds up to 75 miles per hour. That is a separate rider.

Keep warm and have a happy and safe New Year.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

If YOU can find NOVA TV show that was on 2 days ago about Global Warming you should watch it. It is repeated here several times each time on a different channel or sometimes same channel different time of the day for 1 week. I have free antenna TV we can see TV from different towns. I have no clue how to find NOVA on Cable TV it is on PBS channel.

Unless our forecast changes we will be watching TV weather radar all night. We are now in the, red zone, severe storms, high wind, large hail, tornados possible. I hope most of the storms move north into KY like it did a few weeks ago. I hope there R no tornados.
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:18 pm
Unless our forecast changes we will be watching TV weather radar all night. We are now in the, red zone, severe storms, high wind, large hail, tornados possible. I hope most of the storms move north into KY like it did a few weeks ago.
Stay safe, @Gary! :shock: I am expected rain tomorrow that will cause the temperature drop. Perhaps what I am getting tomorrow is headed to Tennessee afterwards. But I'll believe my rain when I see it. The last big rain I was expected to get didn't happen at all and my garden stayed bone dry and I had to hand water.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Gary, I was thinking of you when I saw that all of Tennessee is in that "severe weather threat" zone, and most of it in the dark red zone. I hope you are spared, and just get some rain - stay safe!

The rain here is just the annoying type - barely enough to build up, but just to keep it damp. We were about 4" short of average for the month of December, and over 6° above average temp, which doesn't really explain how it went, as we had a number of well below average days, but a lot more well above average days! And only a few right about average.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”