Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Re: 2021 What's the Weather Like Where You Are?

Gary350 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:20 am
Bad weather is an attitude problem we develop when we get old.

:) Hahaha, thanks for that Gary; think I'll put it on the fridge door!

imafan26
Mod

Not to mention rainy weather often irritates old bones as well. I also like what you said Gary. Actually, any day that rains in my neighborhood is a bad day. We call it liquid sunshine. Most of the time it is only briefly annoying, unless you live on the Windward side where rain everyday is actually normal.

applestar
Mod

Bad weather can also be a functionality of your attire….

Mostly as a gardener, it depends entirely on what I’m growing at the moment.

Looking at the forecast, it’s supposed to be 60°F right now, but is actually 56°F. This doesn't bode well when forecasted overnight low is 57°F — could mean there’s a -4 correction which would put it at 53°F by morning….

Now, in terms of the fall peas and favas, and brassicas, even seeds sown for carrots snd lettuce, this is good weather to grow up in, but this may mean the end of any hope for the summer eggplants to finish developing those pecan-sized fruits to harvest size.

applestar
Mod

We’re down to 52°F as of 5am this morning ….

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Exceptionally difficult is in the extremes and the problems and risks they present.

When there has only been 5 or 6 inches of precipitation so far in 2021, even in this semi-arid climate, rain is welcomed. About a blessed 1/2" of rain fell over the weekend. The air has been clearing with cooler temperatures and the efforts of firefighters. It has cleared even more! The sprinklers will remain off, today ;).

Monthly record minimum rainfall amounts were set in late winter and spring. Then, record high temperatures happened over the first days of summer. I have lived here for 50 years and in somewhat warmer climates prior and had never experienced 113°f before!

The local plant life suffered and some of it went up in flames. It looked to me that local residents were cautious and only a few wildfires began because of human carelessness. The lower elevation forests were very, very much at risk. We can now hope for a return to the near normal winter snowfall that have blessed recent winters at higher elevations.

The steady loss of daylight as we move quickly to 12 hours of darkness, the 16 hours of darkness and the very low angle of winter sunlight at this northern location, the cold -- normally, I'm not looking forward to this! This year, I will try to be more accepting :). Every path I clear with my snow shovel will be more pleasing to me. Snow cover lingering into late winter will be valued -- whatever it takes to ease the stress on the environment, those burdens on me will be lighter. And, the Harvest Moon is shining brightly in a clear, early morning sky.

:) Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We had 7" of rain yesterday & expecting to get 7" more today. Anything not closed for covid is closed for flooding. It was 72° yesterday & 71° this morning. We have 80% change of rain for 3 more days. Warm sprinkle rain is no problem my 24" Mexican sombrero makes a good umbrella.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We got 14" of rain sense yesterday morning. Rain stopped about 4 pm today. We drove over to the dry stream 6" more water and it will be going over the bridge. Water at this bridge goes up and down very quick in 6 hours. It is dark now water might be over the bridge but if no rain tonight water will be 8 ft lower at 7am tomorrow. We have more rain on the way tonight & 80% rain all day tomorrow water could come up 8 ft on this bridge. Garden had 6" of water when rain stopped water went down in 2 hrs.
Attachments
100_1869.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

NO rain all night, clear sky & full moon. I sat in the driveways in a lawn chair with a glass of red wine and watched the moon coming up until 10pm. It is hard to see stars with street lights and other lights near by. It was very relaxing, it is always nice to be camping when there is a full moon. 67° this morning I'm watching the sun come up, cat & dog want petting. No bird sounds yet.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It is cold inside our house this morning, I have my winter jacket & sock hat on. This is a strange time of the year when we need AC during the day & heat at night. We have heat turned off at night, we put more blankets on the bed. I think we are spoiled we want the temperature to stay the same all the time.

When I was in grade school the wood stove would go out at night it was cold enough inside the house to see a white cloud every time we breath. We had so many blankets on the bed they were so heavy it was hard to move or roll over, 20° out side & 45° inside.

imafan26
Mod

It is raining somewhere. It did briefly rain this evening and maybe a bit more tonight. It has been cloudy most of the day. Most of the rain is on the Big Island. This is now Kona's rainy season. There are a few brief showers drifting over the islands. I did get out today and pull some weeds and palm seedlings. It is more humid when it is cloudy even though the temperature isn't all that bad. It got up to 80 today and it is now 72 degrees.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Gorgeous weather today, in the high 50s overnight, and still in the high 60s now, with low humidity - the key point! 73° the forecast high today, which is perfect fall weather.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It is allergy season here, 57 degree when sun comes up then 85 degrees at 3 pm. Yard looks like it is covered with several 1000 yellow leaves but it is 1000s of yellow mushrooms. Every thing is covered with green mold & mildew. Wife & I eat breakfast then & hour or so later we are so sick we are both in bed most of the days. Weather needs to get cold & stay cold for mold & mildew to be gone. TV said 87 degrees today.

imafan26
Mod

I feel for you Gary. The mold must be very widespread. I live in a humid and wet part of the island so I am no stranger to mold. I have mold on my house and it will never go away. I have algae on the roof and it grows in my rain barrel too. The sidewalk on the North side of the house is black with mold and algae. I have moss growing between pavers and in the sidewalk drain gutter. When it rains for a few days. I can smell the mold in the air. I don't get mushrooms though. My grass only gets rain and it would take a lot of it for fungal disease to set in and I have a grass that is not prone to fungal diseases. I used to get mushrooms a long time ago. But I have not used the sprinkler system ( I need to replace the valves), for years so the grass does not get regular water. Although my lanai will flood with torrential rain, it drains quickly and I don't have a lot of puddles in the yard so while it can be mucky for days, it is not a swimming pool. I have mostly dark clothes (black) and almost nothing is white or ivory. If it hangs in the closet long enough it will get mildew. Damp rid in the closet needs to be put in a larger pail because it will absorb soo much water that it over flows. Cat litter on the shelf in the closet helps to keep the humidity down in the closet in ordinary times. Garments that are prone to mildew need to be packed in vacuum bags to keep air out. Salt and spices will become rocks in open bottles. I have saran wrapped some of the bottles after I open them. It helps but does not stop the spices from absorbing moisture. Baking soda is a cheap way to control mold in the carpets. I only have area rugs so if they get really bad, I can take them out. The laminate floor does have damage from the humidity because the rain does come through jalousie windows even if they are closed. Ceramic and vinyl floors get surface moisture, but they don't get damaged by the humidity.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

mafan26 . My grandmother use to spray the closets walls & ceiling with vinegar, certain times of the year mold & mildew was worse than others she sprayed once a week. Wife puts baking soda in washing machine rinse water. Turn washing machine water faucets off on the last rinse so it can not rinse out the baking soda. I am up early I often can not sleep more than 6 hours. I am setting here an can barely see the keyboard cross eyed & blurred vision is driven me nuts. We keep AC on low humidity in the house is helpful. I sometimes feel better after being awake for 1 or 2 hrs then feel worse for several hours, about 3 pm I start feeling better. We have storms in the forecast for 3 pm, then more storms 8 pm with tornadoes, 65 mph wind, flash floods, hail. I have several big cardboard appliance boxes I want to lay in the garden to cover chick weed, freezing weather does not kill chickweed, last year it was 12" tall I had to mow it down in April and pull weeds from garlic bed by hand. Too late now I should have cut 1" holes in cardboard on 4" spacing when I planted garlic 6 weeks ago.

imafan26
Mod

I found out by accident that cat litter works in preventing mold. The only closet that did not have a mold problem was where the cat's litter box was. Leaving a pan of clean litter on a shelf in the closet and stirring in once in a while works in ordinary times. The damp rid is necessary for when it is raining for weeks. Thankfully, while the jalousie windows leak when the rain is driven by wind, keeping them open most of the time, improves air circulation. I don't have mold on the walls inside the house. I do have it where a toilet leaked and I had opened the ceiling to dry it out, but on rainy days I can still smell it and I have to retreat it over and over again. A dehumidifier works, but since I don't go into the storage room much, I don't always remember to turn it on when it gets very humid. Toxic mold can be a real problem. You may have to use a vapor mask even inside the house for awhile if it keeps making you sick. I hope things get better once things have a chance to dry out.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

The weather where I am? - Just north of the U.S. 'PNW'; Pacific North WET that is, and it's no drier here. Bucketing nonstop all day and forecast to keep going. What's your favorite descriptive: Cats'n dogs, coming down in sheets/buckets, raining in ropes ? ... It's doing all of those and more.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

These last 3 days it has gotten into the low 80s here (68° normal high at this time) but today a cold front came through, and the temp dropped 15° in 90 minutes, and is still going down! Supposed to go down to 51° tonight, and only up to 61° tomorrow! Still going back up later in the week.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

41 degrees F at 5 am.

applestar
Mod

See this is worrying — I heard they had a 39°F forecast in Kansas a couple of days ago that turned out to be 41° and now your saying 41° in TN. Usually, we get the same after yours in a day to couple of days, but so far nothing lower than 45° predicted for Tuesday early morning….

Of course typical adjustment requires I subtract 3° from forecast and that would put it at 42°F. :?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:08 am
See this is worrying — I heard they had a 39°F forecast in Kansas a couple of days ago that turned out to be 41° and now your saying 41° in TN. Usually, we get the same after yours in a day to couple of days, but so far nothing lower than 45° predicted for Tuesday early morning….

Of course typical adjustment requires I subtract 3° from forecast and that would put it at 42°F. :?
It has been 86 to 87 here for 2 weeks. It was 56 yesterday morning. We had a front move through last night bring this 41 deg it is suppose to warm up to 68 today & in the 75 & 76 degrees again during the day & 50s at night again. We have been 10 to 12 degrees above average for a month this year. TN weather comes in cycles I have seen 75 deg temperatures up to the last day of Dec several times in past 43 yrs. We are having a mild winter so far. About 30 yrs ago we had a mild winter then 10" of snow and 5 degrees for a week 3rd week of March then winter was over.

TV forecast is different on all 3 channels.

7 am now it is 39 degrees here.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It got down to 51° here last night, after 83° yesterday, and is only supposed to get to 63° today and tomorrow (4 or 5° below average), but back up above average, later in the week.

imafan26
Mod

It is 66 degrees now with a high of about 80 expected. It is almost 5:51 a.m. and it is still dark. Today there will be 12 hr and 21 minutes of daylight. (6:06 am - 6:27 pm). There have been some brief sprinkles, but nothing to really wet the garden down. It is official. We are in a moderate La Nina. It means the winter will be relatively dry, but in the Spring it is likely to be wetter than normal for us.

I hate driving in the dark. Those LED headlights are so glaring when they are directly in front or back of you. It is especially bad when it comes from a high truck.

applestar
Mod

So the forecast for tonight’s low was supposed to be 50°F at lowest, and at 1:40AM it’s currently and officially 46°F! :eek:

I did move some of the container plants to more sheltered areas earlier today (moved the orchids into the hoop house because despite the forecast for staying above 50, the chilly winds this morning definitely felt like change in the weather — it’s 49.6° in there right now according to remote thermometer), and added some more protection for the currently fruiting peppers and eggplants, as well as adding a windsheltering plastic sheeting panels for some of the fall crops that I want to have keep growing, but WHO KNOWS how cold it’s actually going to get tonight?

— Probably 41°F or even 39°F :? :roll:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

39 degree again this morning. Sunny and nice all day.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Here it got down to 50° - soon it will be even cooler, so I have to trim that curry tree WAY back, and at least bring it onto the back porch, when it gets those cooler nights. Still some 70+ days on the forecast. The others aren't as sensitive to cold, but I still have to cut those way back.

imafan26
Mod

It is 66 degrees right now and the skies are blue with a few scattered clouds. It is a nice bright day.

applestar
Mod

46°F in my patio hoophouse.

Forecast for current (12:50am) temp is 47~48°F and actual official is 42°. Forecast low is 45~46°, so by extrapolation, we’ll probably see 39~40°F by morning….

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

40 degrees this morning & another nice sunny day.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

5 am, 44 degrees & full moon. Setting on the patio with a hot cup of coffee petting the dog & cat. Warming up to 63 today.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I am wondering about the Weather Bomb that is supposed to hit the BC coast this weekend. I hope that the weather folks are exagerating.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It got to the mid 60s today - just a degree or two above average, and it's supposed to be average for a short while, then up a while, then down again...and so forth. A little rain forecast, but nothing definite.

imafan26
Mod

It is the same here. It is 69 degrees and it is still dark outside. A little rain is possible for the Big Island, but most of the rest of us will remain dry. I guess I have to water the yard again today.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I am wondering how Vanisle_BC is doing as that bomb cyclone comes ashore.

It seems to this layman that the tremendous amount of water (the wetside) is quite a ways south and with all that rain, the dangers of landslides and especially from burned-over hillsides.

VanIsle should have some rain but, all that low pressure looks to be passing right over Vancouver Island.

Steve

GabrielsMom
Newly Registered

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area and we are - finally - getting rain. Problem is, we're getting flooding with it, due to the multi-year drought...especially in the burned out areas. Great day to be inside, tending to my plants! :-D

applestar
Mod

We’re now past the “normal” average first frost timeline — In recent years, we’ve had killing frost that sweep in at about the right time for 2 or 3 days, kill the garden, then warm up for about a month before actually settling down into sustained frost and winter temperatures, which has been infuriating.

We seemed to have skipped the trickster killing frost this year.

I think I’ll have about a week to figure out and implement my season extending projects before things become dire. Today is supposed to get up to as high as 79°F though I’m tending to think more like 76 or 77…. It’s supposed to rain all day tomorrow so I’d better get working! ;)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

GabrielsMom wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:26 pm
I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area and we are - finally - getting rain. Problem is, we're getting flooding with it, due to the multi-year drought...especially in the burned out areas. Great day to be inside, tending to my plants! :-D
We are thinking about you, GabrielsMom.

NWS Sacramento:

"Downtown Sacramento set an all-time 24 hr rainfall total. 5.44 inches were recorded, breaking the old record of 5.28 inches set back in 1880." !!!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:31 am
We’re now past the “normal” average first frost timeline — In recent years, we’ve had killing frost that sweep in at about the right time for 2 or 3 days, kill the garden, then warm up for about a month before actually settling down into sustained frost and winter temperatures, which has been infuriating.
We have the same weather pattern, our first frost is often the first week of Nov. Last year first frost was Nov 3 and the year before that was Nov 7. It was 81 a few days ago. It has been 75 to 79 every day. It got down in the 40s for 2 night but now we have 55 every night & 60 last night. Like you said we often get killer frost then it worms up for a month. I am too lazy to cover up plants these days I use to be able save plants from frost for 1 month or longer. When frost kills plants I am glad it is over I need a rest. I have other projects I can now have time to work on..
Last edited by Gary350 on Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Lots of wind in Massachusetts, Webmaster ..?

Here in the West, that "bomb cyclone" was an interesting experience. A huge system but the difference in weather was dramatically local. Seattle had high winds and a hundred thousand without power for a time. Off the coast of Washington, the Weather Service said that the air pressure was the lowest ever recorded. A thousand miles to the south, central California had all-time records set for rain.

Here in the Intermountain West, 1/4" of rain fell. The soil is dry. Windy and fall-like but no frost in about a week. The promise of rain is still in the forecast.

Steve

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Only got about a quarter of an inch Tuesday and Wednesday morning; while originally, that storm from up north was supposed to dump a lot more in this area, it sort of fizzled out, and we got mostly wind. Monday, and late Sunday night I got 1.49", and highs in the mid 60s - just over average, and lows have been in the 50s.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Got a much needed storm this morning. Started out very bad I thought a tornado was coming. But now it is just rain, light thunder and some wind. Wind is supposed to be very severe tomorrow. After all that maybe now I can get my cold crops in the ground.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”