Gary350
Super Green Thumb

New Computer

I have a new computer it is driving me crazy. It is forcing me to use google chrome that I never used before. I have to find and log into several places. Old computer crashed. I used an old back up computer for several weeks then bought this new computer on Ebay $300. Monitor is as large as a TV 21 inches. I need to put in user name and password for about 20 places so far I have done 3 and ready to quit & try again tomorrow. Lines do not show up well on this BIG screen. Big screen will be good for YouTube videos. Monitor is too bright I need sunglasses. I did not know there were so many places called Helpful Gardener it took me 14 minutes to find this place. I don't like learning how to operate the computer every time is up dates.

webmaster
Site Admin

If you still have access to your old computer, you can use your browser on the old computer to EXPORT your old bookmarks. Just note what browser you have and search for "how to export bookmarks in [name of your browser]" to get instructions on how to export bookmarks.

Once you do that, put the exported bookmarks into something like a USB memory stick and then plug that into the new computer. Go to Chrome, click the three buttons, choose Favorites, then choose Import.

Code: Select all

... > Favorites > Import

Sounds like you need to adjust the screen for brightness and contrast. Usually that can be done through controls on the lower right corner of the screen bezel, though sometimes it's in the center.

Beyond that, you can go to the main desktop screen and right click then choose Screen Resolution to adjust the resolution to the proper value. The computer should be able to detect the monitor and offer the correct screen resolution (if it hasn't already done that).

Google Chrome is a decent browser, it has a lot of neat tricks for making the Internet easier to scroll through. I can PM you some tips later.

Just know that in the the top right hand corner are three dots that when clicked open a menu that lets you adjust the zoom level, see your downloads, your history and access other settings.

If you have a Gmail account, you can sign in and it'll remember your passwords. Most browsers today are actually Chrome, including Microsoft Edge, Vivaldi and other browsers. Firefox is its own thing and has stricter privacy and cookie handling.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Gary350 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:18 pm
I have a new computer it is driving me crazy......
Gary I feel your pain. I collect quotations that appeal to my way of thinking, especially if they're a bit humorous or tongue in cheek. One of them is "Actually Windows 3.1 was really, really good." Who said that? Oh, wait a minute; it was me.

I still have Win XP on an old machine, with some excellent software that has no equal but won't run on anything later.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Don't try to explain technology to me: it's like explaining taxes to a six year old.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:51 pm
Don't try to explain technology to me: it's like explaining taxes to a six year old.
The concept & purpose of taxation are easy to grasp. Anyone's belief that their present complexity is acceptable, is utterly baffling.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Let me rephrase that then. Asking me to explain technology is like asking a child to spell Supercalifragilisticexpalidocous. And even I can't spell it. 😀

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”