imafan26
Mod

You can tell when the seasons change when....

My cat Tootsie: Actually she's always under my desk by my feet everyday.
My cat Tootsie: Actually she's always under my desk by my feet everyday.
I went to the garden today and the Halloween decorations were out. The garden is still closed to the public but the volunteers are not letting Covid19 dampen the holiday spirit.
Attachments
20200925_081140.jpg
20200925_081049.jpg
20200925_081104.jpg
20200925_081132.jpg

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I have yet to see crosses mixed with Halloween decor, but that's very nice! Also, that is one cute kitty!

While shopping in the Dollar Store, I saw both fall and Christmas decor, but I didn't buy any of it, I was mainly concerned about food. I have Christmas decor anyway; I never decorate for Halloween, however I do have some pumpkins and leaves I will pull out here in a couple of more weeks.

imafan26
Mod

Actually, some of the heads are painted coconuts. Dale said the idea for using branches came from a New York garden. The volunteers made the "tombstones". The only thing that was not set up was the hay bale with jeans stuffed with hay sticking out of it like someone fell in it. There are other decorations in the Sensory garden but I did not go there today. Usually the road leading down to the garden is also decorated. Maybe they will get to that later. It is still early for Halloween. I think since trick or treating door to door is considered fairly risky, people decorating their yards and driving around seeing the displays, much like how we do driving around to check out the Christmas displays is also a safe and fun way for a family to celebrate the holiday safely. I used to decorate for Halloween, Christmas, Easter, and Boys day ( I had 2 flags: a 1 foot koi for my husband and an 8ft koi for our cat whose name was "Koi". My husband always named his pets after fish. Koi was a girl and she was pure a white cat with blue eyes, but she was not deaf.) I don't do much of that now. The decorations are still in the closet and garage.

I never thought the crosses were out of place. I guess I am used to them.

Tootsie is one of my 2 black cats. Jack,age 7, looks like a Halloween cat as he has a crooked tail and he has a single line of white hair around his chest, but you have to look for it carefully. Tootsie, age 14, is a chimera tortie. I got both of them from feral feeders. Tootsie was born in the colony but always fed so she does not know how to hunt. I got her when she was about 2 years old. Jack, was about 4 months old when I got him. He was abandoned as a kitten, but was socialized by the feral feeder and played with her daughter. He behaves more like a non-feral cat. I actually wanted a different cat but the feral feeder told me to take him instead. I did not know he was a boy until I picked him up and read it on his chip certificate. It is very hard to take pictures of black cats.

applestar
Mod

Spanish moss and coconut heads.... regional perception of what is out of place. :lol: :>

imafan26
Mod

You should see what a Hawaiian Santa Claus looks like! LOL

Actually, we don't have a lot of pumpkins either . This year Aloun farms has cancelled the pumpkin patch activity. Pumpkins are actually expensive to buy just to carve and it does not last long in this weather. I remember we used to carve green papaya instead. They are easier to carve since they are softer. They were growing in the yard so it did not cost us anything. Mr. Potato head parts work nicely on a papaya. Spanish moss works better than synthetic cobwebs. Hang moss right and it has eerie effectiveness. Besides it is all natural. It either lives on the tree year round or hangs out on a fence or line where it gets longer and thicker. It makes an easy haku lei too.

My friend from the Philippines told me once that in the P.I. they celebrate "All Souls Day" on Nov. 2. The families don't dress up or go trick or treating. Instead they go to the graveyards and clean up around the grave markers, light candles, say prayers, and leave flowers. Some times they will camp out for days. It is more like a memorial day for them.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

When I switch from allergies to sinus infection.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”