Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Re: WHAT are you doing for FUN?

Wife & I decided to take a day trip to the Mennonite store 35 miles from home, they are in the middle in Amish community. We were on the highway when I notice so much haze in the air cars 1/2 mile away disappear in the haze and the sky is orange color. I assume this is forest fire smoke from west coast no wonder I have coughing for 2 weeks. We arrived at Four Corners where 2 country roads cross in the middle of no where. The place is crowded there are about 130 customer here. The first thing we did was get lunch at the deli, they have several cheeses, several meats, several breads. I had, chicken & ham with 2 types of cheese on sour dough bread & mayo, we ate outside at the picnic tables. Then wife picked up 2 lbs of home made cow milk butter $4, then 1 lb of sausage $2.50. They have a dozen types of sausage. I picked up 1 lb of smoked thick cut bacon $5. Wife got 3 types of cheese $2 per lb and 1 cottage cheese too. There are several types of chocolate wife got 3 kinds. Too many people had been here first bread selection is low I wanted some of their good sour dough bread. We both got a $2 cup of soft serve ice cream & ate at the picnic table. They have 4 types of ice cream. We forgot to bring the ice chest so we had to go straight home. All prices include sales tax you pay no extra for sale tax.

Amish people have much more strict religion rules than Mennonites. Get the flyer at the store it shows where all the Amish people live & what they sell in a 20 mile radius of the store. I need a new leather belt. It is fun to look Amish have 150 year old steam engines to power equipment to make things. If you need work done at home 2 Amish men will come work all day for $150 per day = $75 per man.
Attachments
100_1158.JPG
100_1157.JPG
100_1156.JPG
100_1155.JPG
100_1154.JPG
100_1153.JPG
100_1152.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Oh Gary this brings back fond memories for me! Used to have a small Mennonite store uptown. Basically a mini-me of the store you posted pics of. I would buy white bread, marshmallows, veggie chips, pepper beef jerky, cute little things of cheese, and my favorite cook book came from there. Unfortunately, the owner closed it down so she could tend to her aging mother. Oh what I wouldn't give to walk back in there!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I am setting here at the computer day dreaming about how much FUN it was to be young. I found videos of other people doing the same thing I did 50 years ago. It was easy & fun in those days when I was, young, in shape, & skinny. Videos bring back very good memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Yfzx0JGnk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44BL0-tRL-w

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Wow! That’s quite a bike ride. And quite a skateboarding adventure too.
I rode my bike down the windy Mt Constitution road on Orcas Island once. It was fun but much shorter than that video. I tried to go fast, but not that fast.
I know what you mean about missing the skinny good old days.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

HoneyBerry wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:09 pm
Wow! That’s quite a bike ride. And quite a skateboarding adventure too.
I rode my bike down the windy Mt Constitution road on Orcas Island once. It was fun but much shorter than that video. I tried to go fast, but not that fast.
I know what you mean about missing the skinny good old days.
At our age the best bike ride for us is the Virginia Creeper trailer it is down hill 34 miles & it is a 3 hour ride if you don't stop. Poke along at 10 mph you don't need to pedal except to use brakes to go slow. Take your lunch & drinks, stop at all the over looks, streams, water falls, bridges, picnic tables, along the way, make a whole day of it. It costs about $30 they have rental bikes or bring your own bike.

https://vacreepertrail.com/

Leadville CO. is a very nice 25 mile down hill bike ride. There is also a cross country bike ride. There are lots of streams to stop and get wet. Bring your own bike the ride is FREE. There are several bike shops with rental bikes. This ride you can go faster 30 mph if you want mountain hill is steeper. Bring your own lunch & drinks. CO is a very bicycle friendly State woman at the desk said it is a 15 minute bike ride to work every day it take 90 minutes by car on the mountain roads.

https://leadville.com/bike-for-miles-al ... ain-roads/

Idaho bike ride is very very nice 15 miles 1 way then 15 miles back. There are other rail to trail bike rides in Idaho some 40 miles long. This is a very easy bike ride you can poke along at any speed you like. Take your lunch & drinks stay all day. Take a tent camp over night in 1 of the tunnels.

https://www.ridethehiawatha.com/the-trail
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I love trail riding. Don’t care for riding on the road. I did a few road rides (touring) and almost got knocked off the bridge on Hwy 2 by a wide load. Scared me so I quit touring altogether. But trail riding - love that. I used to drive to mountain biking trails on the weekends. I would hike up and ride down. I could hike twice as far that way. I so love outdoorsy stuff. My main thing was skiing. Mostly downhill, some cross country. Don’t like going to the mountains unless I plan to backpack in. Don’t like the crowds.
I set up a canopy in my back yard recently. I have a propane stove for cooking, make coffee, etc. I love it because it reminds me of camping.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Days are shorter & not much to do in the garden so I have been doing Math Challenges online at night. I have been out of college 50 years, I have forgotten more than I ever know. It took me 5 minutes to figure out where to start on this problem then about 20 minutes to get the correct answer.

Does anyone else like math challenges?
Attachments
241016755_1183300572169217_1576669648421658797_n.jpg
241016755_1183300572169217_1576669648421658797_n.jpg (28.6 KiB) Viewed 742 times

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Tomorrow we are off on a camping trip, we will be home again Sunday evening. I'm not sure if I will take my laptop computer camping the whole purpose of this is to get away from things like, internet, TV, covid, and forget about life for a while. I wish there was a full moon this weekend but full moon is not intill Sept 20. We are camping at Fall Creek Falls State Park this is the weekend of the Mountaineer Festival a free local event with about 200 vendors, food, arts & crafts, music at 2 locations, lots of things for sale & free demonstrations. Molasses making, maple syrup, honey, lye soap making, how to dye cotton & wool with with berries, roots, bark, plants, 130 year old technology. Quilt making, hand made square logs, log cabin building, blacksmith shop, leather making, more. This is lots of FUN and the 300 ft water fall 1 of several in the park. Pictures are from 2 years ago. Last year was cancelled because of virus.
Attachments
06.JPG
07.JPG
08.JPG
09.JPG
10.JPG
11.jpg

webmaster
Site Admin

Local festivals are pretty much cancelled in my area but the traveling carnys are immune to common sense so they blew through town a few weeks ago.

I'm trying to carve out some time to take the kayak out to a river and fish for trout.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:15 pm
Local festivals are pretty much cancelled in my area but the traveling carnys are immune to common sense so they blew through town a few weeks ago.

I'm trying to carve out some time to take the kayak out to a river and fish for trout.
I have not been kayaking in 5 years, wife can't set 6 hrs in a kayak in the sun middle of the river with the meds she takes, see won't go. This is perfect kayak weather water is low & slow moving & its cooler 80 degree weather & it is still fun to get wet.

The Mountaineer Festival was great & weather in the mountains is cooler than home. 49° at night & 80° during the day. Camp fire felt good every morning & after sun went down temperature dropped quick when it got dark. I cooked breakfast every morning, egg cheese omelet, sausage, toast, coffee. OH no we forgot to bring jelly. We ate too much over priced good food at the festival & checked out all the exhibits Sat & Sun. We met up with friends and drank good wine in the evening around the camp fire. People are so friendly a dozen people came to look at our old vintage camper trailer. We slept every night with all 7 windows open, we did not use the heater, blankets felt so good. After dark animals come, skunks, possums, raccoons. Deer come early morning & 100s of birds wake us up early. Camp ground has clean bathrooms with hot showers. It was fun & good to be home again.
Attachments
100_1714.JPG
100_1716.JPG
100_1717.JPG

webmaster
Site Admin

Gary350 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:31 am
It was fun & good to be home again.
I love camping, too. Your breakfasts sounded great, even without the jelly! Sounds like you had a lot of fun and are enjoying life, good for you! :)

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”