TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Does it hurt to use old fertilizers?

I was digging through stuff and came across the bottle of rooting hormone. I know it's several years old but could not find a date on it anywhere. I would like to use it if I wasn't worried it may be bad. Does it hurt plants to use old fertilizers? Or is that a dumb question? :oops: Just wondered. :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No it won't hurt anything. It just may not help anything either. If too old, it will have lost potency.

imafan26
Mod

I have a lot of very old fertilizer. I still use it. It does become a rock when the moisture gets to it or in the case of miracle grow, it becomes discolored and liquid, but it still works. Some nitrogen is probably lost once the package is opened. It is still better than no fertilizer at all. Slow release fertilizers have a coating, and as long the coating is intact, the fertilizer is still good.

applestar
Mod

You didn’t mention the actual brand/product. It’s probably a good idea to internet search for msds of the product for safe handling. What you read may affect what you will feel safe using it for — old or new. Rooting hormones typically contain fungicides, etc. in addition to plant growth factor hormones.

Check for environmental hazards and how to dispose if you decide not to use it.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the responses! It is Bonide Garden Rich Root & Grow liquid root stimulator. On disposing it just says do not reuse container; rinse thoroughly and discard in trash.

I think what I'll do is test it on a couple of plants. If the plants don't die within a week, then I'll go ahead and use it on everything.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”