imafan26
Mod

Re: 2020 What's the weather like where you are?

It has been strange weather. Last night it was cold, but today it is warm and only a gentle breeze and the sky is cloudless. We seem to get weather in waves as the bands of showers pass by from the north, south, and west. There are storm systems all around the island and the windward side is getting rain, which is not unusual. The rain might come later today. It is 72 degrees now and mild for me.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Weather this year is strange, extra warm, and a world record year for hurricanes. I was watching a science video 2 days ago they mention earths orbit is elliptical sometimes earth is 3 million miles closer to the sun then we experience unusual warm weather. When earth is 3 million miles farther away from the sun we have colder weather. When north 1/2 of earth has summer the south 1/2 has winter. When north 1/2 of earth has winter the south 1/2 has summer. Average over all temperature of earth is not effected by tilt of earth from summer to winter. When north 1/2 of earth gets snow & ice, snow & ice on bottom 1/2 melts. Frozen water swaps places north south north south every 6 months but the entire earth average temperature stays the same. Earths biggest weather maker is, solar storms on the sun, earths distance from the sun & tilt of the earth.

We had wind gusting to 54 mph today, sunny & 67°.
Last edited by Gary350 on Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Sadly after yesterday the temperature dropped and there's a cool nip out there. Yuck. Current temperature is 64. High was 70. Low this morning was 40.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Too much rain in the forecast. Thunderstorms tonight and then again Friday. More rain Saturday and Sunday.
My poor garden...

Then temperatures are going to plummet and that will make me cranky. I hate the cold. I'm not gonna like having to put several layers of insulation just to go get the mail.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Early this morning light sprinkle rain, 58° F, wind gusts to 50 mph, severe storm warnings. I have been outside enjoying the wind it sounds & feels good. Hard rain & stronger wind forecast for later today. 11 am wind is amazing to watch trees like they are going to break off or be blown over. Wind is roaring loud it sounds good.
Last edited by Gary350 on Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Storm woke me up at 1:45 this morning. Was pretty bad with heavy rain and wind and lightening. But power stayed on. According to mews, a tornado hit Arlington. That would happen right before thanksgiving. Those poor folks!!

imafan26
Mod

It is 72 degrees and the winds are finally calm. I have been picking up the same plants almost every day. The clouds are back, but it should clear up by Thanksgiving. You get snow for Thanksgiving. I get rain. I finally put my hurricane kit back in the closet.

applestar
Mod

2020 continuing it’s campaign to underscore and raise awareness for Climate crisis — here we are past Thanksgiving and heading into December, and we are under TORNADO WATCH until 7pm. Rumble rumble heard in the west and wide-ranging system with red and yellow heading this way according to radar/weather map ....

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Take care, Applestar!

Tonight's temperature will dip into the 20's, making me have to spend forever covering everything. It may or may not be necessary, but I just want to safe than sorry.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Thunderstorms the last day of November! And 67°, and over 1" of rain, so far today. Not normal at this time, in this area. Of course, weather never seems to be normal anymore. And there's no global warming. :wink:

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Sometimes I wonder what NORMAL is anymore. I don't think anything is normal anymore.

Temperature say 45 out there already. Got everything covered up as best as possible. It was freezing out there, I had to wear two pairs of pants, a sweatshirt over my t shirt and my heavy jacket over that. Almost choked myself with my scarf. And not only did was it freezing outside, it smelled like rank chicken litter. That was downright nasty.
Anyway, to suit the cold mood outside, I am listening to my crackling fire nature CD since I don't have a fireplace.

ElizabethA
Cool Member

The weather today in Bellingham WA was partly sunny and mild. I'm a newbie so I can't post pics yet, but I will once the software allows...

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Everything is white this morning with snow expect the asphalt roads & driveways. Snow was gone by 12 noon.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We are having a mild winter so far. 65° almost every day, 70° today & 40s tonight. Rain tomorrow. Garden season is 4 months away.

applestar
Mod

Yeah, it’s been down to 30’s but no deep freeze/ground freeze yet here, which is unusual.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

it went down to 18F about a week and a half ago, and highs yesterday and today are in the sixties, but aside from those, I’ve been pretty happy with temperatures for the last 3 or 4 weeks. highs from upper 30’s through mid 50’s, lows near or just below freezing most nights. this time of year I’m in full acorn leaching production mode for making flour, and temps averaging in the 30’s and 40’s is ideal.

ElizabethA
Cool Member

This morning it was quite foggy, but now it's 43 degrees and sunny! Not a cloud in the sky!

imafan26
Mod

It is a nice day. It rained last night, but the sun has been out all day. It is 77 degrees right now and overnight goes down to about 66. The trades are back. There are a few storm systems swirling around us and most of it is raining on the ocean. We get a few showers caught up in the tradewinds. The pre dawn was about 6:30 a.m. and sunrise was at 7:01 a.m. Sunset will be at 5:51p.m. The days are getting shorter as we approach the winter solstice. My cats still know when it is time to feed them. Their internal clock always keeps good time.

applestar
Mod

Shoutout to folks in the path of the snow/ice storm. Hope you’re ready and get through this with minimum damage.

I went to school in central north Pennsylvania where some of the worst is being predicted. Just around this time of the year, I remember starting to drive home (4 hrs in good weather) in late afternoon for the winter holidays, and it had started to snow earlier in the day and turned into a blizzard. Being young and foolish, I didn’t postpone my departure, and had the (now dubious) thrill of driving on a 4-lane interstate highway that was SOLID white from median to shoulder— absolutely no one else one the road/in view in some places, hardly able to see since the wipers weren’t keeping up or leaving streaks that froze onto the upper part of the windshield that the blasting heat wasn’t coping with.

FINALLY had to admit it was dangerous after it had gotten dark, I was only seeing the swirling snow in the highbeams, and I drifted off the road onto the shoulder because the unplowed, snow covered highway disguised a curve in the road. After that, I slowed down and then found a place to park and wait until some trucks and then snowplows passed by. Eventually I reached better travelled driving conditions and got home hours and hours later. :roll:

imafan26
Mod

California could use rain and cooler temperatures with so much scorched earth on top of a pandemic.

It is 68 degrees right now and it rained early this morning. The roads are a little wet but, the skies are cloudy but clear.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

WOW I am cold. 26° this morning & warmed up to 34°. I was outside most of the day. I should have had a warmer jacket on. I am going to stand in hot shower for 30 minutes.

imafan26
Mod

I've been seeing on the news about the effects of the winter storms with all the traffic pile ups and the snow in Times Square. It will drive everyone who can back indoors. It will be even harder for the homeless who have no where else to go. I hope everyone in the path of the storm stays safe and warm.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It is 21° this morning everything is solid white with heavy frost it looks so nice. Weather report says, warming up to 50° today. It has been a very long time since I have seen a very hard snow with visibility of only 10 feet and dime size snow flakes are very nice too. I love to see the snow come but I also love to see snow gone by 12 noon the next day. I use to love snow skiing every weekend but I have not done that in many years. I learned to snow ski in Minnesota the big rolling hills are a very nice place to learn. I skied down Snowbowl mountain 12633 ft elevation in Flagstaff AZ several times, the ski lift disappears into the clouds you can't even see the top on a nice day.

applestar
Mod

I remember going skiing in Utah When I was young(er). I was on a business trip and a couple of days until Fri got extended over the weekend :D . I was wearing 4-day old jeans but I didn’t care LOL. My 4-cylinder rental had trouble going up the mountain to the ski resort — quite few cars passed me honking — but I got there and had a blast ... until I leaned that a “black diamond” designation in Utah was NOT THE SAME as the ones on the East Coast....

I thought I was going to break a leg — twisted a knee pretty severely — tumbling down that “cliff” but luckily made it down to the lodge without injury. After that I took the easier slopes....

@imafan, during the summer, Mayor DeBrasio and Gov. Murphy often mentioned Covid-safety prepped “Cooling Stations” and now they are mentioning “Warming Stations” — I hope everyone is accounted for and are staying safe.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:06 am
I remember going skiing in Utah When I was young(er). I was on a business trip and a couple of days until Fri got extended over the weekend :D . I was wearing 4-day old jeans but I didn’t care LOL. My 4-cylinder rental had trouble going up the mountain to the ski resort — quite few cars passed me honking — but I got there and had a blast ... until I leaned that a “black diamond” designation in Utah was NOT THE SAME as the ones on the East Coast....

I thought I was going to break a leg — twisted a knee pretty severely — tumbling down that “cliff” but luckily made it down to the lodge without injury. After that I took the easier slopes....

@imafan, during the summer, Mayor DeBrasio and Gov. Murphy often mentioned Covid-safety prepped “Cooling Stations” and now they are mentioning “Warming Stations” — I hope everyone is accounted for and are staying safe.
I think we were all a little tougher when we were younger and I think we grew up in at a time where people were tougher. One time I skied down the mountain 2 times and was exhausted. I ate lunch at the ski area on a picnic table out side in 2 ft of snow. After resting a while I decided to ski down the mountain 1 more time before dark. I skied down the mountain 90% of the way sliding on my butt with my pant legs, shirt & jacket scooping up 5 gallons of snow each time I fell. I was so exhausted I wished I could slide down all the way. It took all the energy I had to stand up to ski again only to fall & slide 100 ft again. Utah is nice, I never snow skied there. Zion National Park & Canyonlands are very nice. Moab has a very good Mexican restaurant park entrance side of town.

imafan26
Mod

Snow in Hawaii. Very brief. Snow on December 18 on Mauna Kea summit. Yes, Virginia there is snow in Hawaii. It just doesn't last very long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uLe5L6 ... =KHON2News

applestar
Mod

Here, the snow on the ground was STILL deep enough that I had to go back inside and exchange sneakers to snow boots yesterday. Today, I’m finally starting to see patches of grass poking through where the snow has become slushy. Maybe more snow later in the week.....

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The sky is blue with temperatures above freezing but too much wind makes for unpleasant conditions outdoors. There were 40mph wind gusts overnight.

Even the snow that I piled up in the corner of the driveway is now gone. Recently, there were some record high temperatures in a couple nearby communities. Those were not outrageously warm but reflect the differences this year from normal.

No temperatures below freezing in 7 days. Our coldest Fall morning was in October! The forecast is for 21°f tonight so we are back to a more normal mid-December. It won't be a White Christmas but snow should be back over the weekend. Fortunately, there is a good snow cover at higher elevations.

Steve
living with 16 hours of darkness out of every 24, at this latitude

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

digitS' wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:55 pm
Steve
living with 16 hours of darkness out of every 24, at this latitude
Don't worry, my weather site says today will be 9 seconds longer than yesterday - enjoy!
By the way what IS an mph? - Just kidding :).

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Most of the snow is gone now - it didn't get down to freezing for the first time last night since the snow, and today it was 45°, so far. This morning was the first time there wasn't frost on my car early, so I went to Aldi for the first time in a few weeks (first time I went anywhere since 12-10, which was another dentist appointment). Next two days are supposed to get even warmer, close to 60° on Thursday, with 1-2" of rain, which could have been a lot worse as snow.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Today 12/22/2020 is the longest day of the year & 2020 is leap year. Tomorrow days start getting longer. It was sunny & 51 degrees here today.
Attachments
leap-year-calculation.png
leap-year-calculation.png (70.71 KiB) Viewed 4029 times

imafan26
Mod

Kilauea's Hale mau' mau' crater started erupting again on Sunday around 9:30 p.m. The eruption is contained within the crater in Volcano National Park. So, far the smoke from the volcano isn't causing much problems. It is drifting in the direction of Ka'u which is sparsely populated. Madam Pele is putting on a nice show for Christmas. Last night there was the skies were clear and there was a great view of the alignment of Jupiter and Saturn.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

So Gary, we add a correction day every 4th year as though the 'real' year is 365.25 days; but it's actually only 365.24? - Off by .01 of a day, so once every hundred years we'd be fully correct by NOT adding that extra day. Is that right and if so when was the last time Feb 29 was omitted from a year divisible by 4?

applestar
Mod

...too cloudy here to see the Jupiter-Saturn conjunction... but the StarWalk app showed where they are...and something else 😁
Attachments
6FF345C5-67C4-4523-8331-6B7E97E23EC1.png

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:29 pm
...too cloudy here to see the Jupiter-Saturn conjunction... but the StarWalk app showed where they are...and something else 😁
Jupiter & Saturn will still be there for a month keep watching. We have too many trees to the west we can't see it. We saw it in Sept in the south after our trees were gone.

Vanisle_BC. There needs to be 100 leap years before the calendar is 1 whole day ahead. There are 100 leap years every 400 years.
Online says, Julius Caesar introduced his calendar in 45 B.C.E., he made 1 January the start of the year. 2056 / 400 = 5.162 days. If we are ahead 5 days then Christmas should really be on Dec 30 this year.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Gary350 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:10 pm
Vanisle_BC. There needs to be 100 leap years before the calendar is 1 whole day ahead. There are 100 leap years every 400 years.
@Gary I don't see that: If our assumed 'real' year length is off by 0.01 days (365.25 as opposed to approx. 365.24) then we'll be off one whole day about every hundred years, not every 400? - Not every 100 leap years

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Vanisle_BC wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:32 am
Gary350 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:10 pm
@Gary I don't see that: If our assumed 'real' year length is off by 0.01 days (365.25 as opposed to approx. 365.24) then we'll be off one whole day about every hundred years, not every 400? - Not every 100 leap years
Your right .01 x 100 years = 1 day. 2065 years /100 years = 20.65 days.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Clear skies and sunny days with morning temperatures in the teens.

The next snow storm is not supposed to be here until tomorrow night -- plenty of time for Santa to deliver his toys. He needs the best of conditions because he must travel quickly, an estimated 11.2 million mph.

That's 18 million kilometers per hour for VanIsle's location (and 99% of the world). Of course, as a resident of the Commonwealth Realm, we expect VanIsle to be tolerant of the USofA's dependence on British Colonial measurements.

Steve
planning to measure the next king of England's foot to understand what adjustments will need to be made :)

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

We're having nights around freezing and daytime highs(!) of 3 to 5C; some rain, some fog, not much sun.

@digits' : As a polite, possibly insipid** Canadian I strive to be tolerant, even of neighbors :). As an erstwhile Oatmeal Savage it's not in my DNA and can be difficult.

As a really old guy with some transatlantic comings & goings I've struggled through various back & forths in measurement systems; including Imperial, S.I, and at least two interpretations of metric. I recall once asking for 18mm copper pipe and got the response 'You mean the new three-quarter?'

For precipitation measurements I like: foggy, drizzling, raining, pouring & pounding. Then there's Coming Down in Sheets, Raining Cats & Dogs - and I like the French 'It's raining ropes.' But I do know that minus 40 is the same in both F & C and it's damn chilly.

Regarding the foot sizes of the kings of England: some have been able to fit them neatly into their mouths. (Don't ask me for examples; I just liked the sound of that. Although British I was never English :))

** Many years ago the CBC ran a humorous contest for a Canadian equivalent to "as American as apple pie." The winner was - "As Canadian as possible, under the circumstances." It's good to be able to laugh at yourself.

Have as merry a Xmas as possible, under the circumstances.
Alexander. (Was I off topic here?)

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

It's windy and FREEZING out there! Was 40 this morning but is currently 51. Feels 41 to me. Probably 31 with that horrible wind chill!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”