applestar
Mod

My new boots

I really liked the old boots with neoprene legs which made them lightweight yet fully waterproof, but it developed a leak that widened into a crack. The crack would gap wide open as I walked, and muddy waters would pour right in — should have taken pictures of some of my socks before I washed them all :lol:

New ones are heavier, but taller which should make it possible to step into deeper parts of the pond. :D I can feel the narrower toebox, but I think I’m just not used to my toes touching each other — they are not squished. :wink:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I don't wear boots maybe I should especially when 6 months of non stop rain is here winter rain is very cold when it leaks into my shoes. Sometimes I wish I had boots. I don't often go into the garden when it is mud or under water. Boots cost money I don't want to spend. We down sized from a Big house to a 1500 sq ft house there is no back porch, no front porch, no place to keep boots except outside in the rain. When my shoes get old and worn out I throw them in a pile to wear some day in the garden. There are 4 pairs of old shoes in that pile. Sometimes I have on 1 white shoe & 1 black shoe because, 1 of the white shoes was trashed & 1 of the black shoes was trashed, the remaining 2 shoes make a good pair of garden shoes. Shoes get left outside at the back door if it rains hard enough shoes get cleaner. LOL. Sometimes I hose the shoes off then while they are drying I wear another pair of old shoes from the pile.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:

New ones are heavier, but taller :wink:
Very classy! Maybe we need a thread about gardening fashion. Here's my hat:
IMG_0597.JPG
BUT, with those beautyboots:
1. Where will you keep the spoon?
2. What do you need it for, as you splash about?

applestar
Mod

Vanisle_BC wrote: 1. Where will you keep the spoon?
2. What do you need it for, as you splash about?
1. :lol: I had to think a minute — > duct tape it on? :>

2a. I always Wear tall boots in the garden — WAY too many Biting/stinging denizens in the grass to wear low shoes — spiders and ants, Wasps can be a concern, as well as other critters like grasshoppers, crickets.
2b. my paths are also swales/irrigation channels, so they get super muddy when least bit wet/rain, and after watering or heavy rains, water level Can be as much as ankle deep
2c, I need to step into the pond to reach some things — usually on the built-in shallowest shelves and first step down, but I do have to chase after things in deeper parts -- I tried stepping down to 2nd step in those old green boots and they were right at the water level — which meant of course water poured right in. :roll:

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

No, no Applestar; I understand why one would wear boots. It's the SPOON I wonder about, tucked into your waders.

imafan26
Mod

Love the boots. I have my trusty pair of boots and they are tall. While that is good for going through water, the water tight boots sweat a lot more and my feet end up swimming in mud and sweat in the boot if I don't wear socks.

I can't always wear my boots because my feet swell and I have a hard time getting my foot in the boots and the calves actually get very tight. When my feet are not swollen it is not a problem.

I do like the colors. Mine are all black. When they get covered in mud they are well camouflaged.

applestar
Mod

Haha — I was just saying that my new boots are no longer black.... :>

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Haha — I was just saying that my new boots are no longer black.... :>
With a white spoon accessory: what for?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I thought the spoon might be showing where the boot cracked?

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Cool boots, @Applestar! I don't like wearing boots, really. I always wear my green garden clogs when in the garden. However, if we get too much rain and they yard is swampy, I will wear my boots to save my socks the wet damage.

#1 rule on boots: NEVER leave them outside. Years ago my mother left hers out and was stung by a wasp on the foot later while wearing the boots. :eek: After that experience, she has learned to keep them indoors. The most interesting thing that went in my boot was a frog. I found him hiding among my rain buckets and I was bending down to pick him up and relocate him when he did this most beautiful high jump and landed....right down my boot. The frog or I neither one was happy about the experience. I pulled my foot from the boot, and leaving the frog inside, I hobbled to the woods where I released him. :lol:

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Boots & frogs:
!potatoes! wrote:I thought the spoon might be showing where the boot cracked?
Thanks, !potatoes! - so obvious now that you mention it, Duh!

Re pretty boots: I was once browsing in the local chandlery and a fisherman was eyeing a shelf of pure white rubber boots that had arrived. One of his buddies happened to come in & yelled across the store "You're not gonna buy them f***in' fr***boots, are ya?"

And frogs: once a tiny green frog appeared on the arm of my wife's fireside chair, from where he'd apparently been hiding in a potted plant.
Last edited by Vanisle_BC on Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Frogs are bad about showing up in strange places. I had one this year that kept hiding in my bag of 'garden rubbish'. And I had an outbreak of baby toads this year. I had to watch where I walked.

applestar
Mod

Oh my! I didn’t realize you really were asking about the spoon. Thanks to !potaoes! for clearing that up with the correct answer while I was outside struggling with the hoophouse construction. :-()

White rubber boots — I thought about getting them for a fraction of a second. I believe they are worn in freezer packing and warehouse conditions — they look very clean ... much more visually reassuring.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We had a lot of rain and it is still raining. Now I want boots. Garden is flooded. Are boots hot in 98 degree weather or do you not wear them in summer?
Last edited by Gary350 on Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Along in adulthood, I developed mobility problems but my aversion to rubber boots came back when I was a kid on an Oregon farm.

Lots of rain and I have fed the cows and am now trying to get across the corral in whatever the herd has churned up in there. Could have climbed over the hay in the middle bay and gone out a side door but I'd been in trouble before for tracking whatever over the hay. Amid a good deal of puffing and panting with ugly sucking sounds, Stevie is heading back the way he came.

Still, ten feet from the gate, my strength begins to play out. If I lean any farther forward, I'm in danger of falling on my face. One foot slides out of a rubber boot. Freedom! Now, where to set the sock-covered foot? Quickly! The other boot pulls loose and in a couple of quick steps, I make it to the gate.

Turning, I look back at the boot stuck in the whatever, ten feet away ...

Steve

imafan26
Mod

I hate the squishy sucking sounds and the boots get heavier and heavier as the sticky stuff clings to it.
Sliding in boots is no fun. Sliding in mud is no fun unless you are a flexible kid and you don't have to clean up after yourself.
I often lose clogs in the mud but at least the boots stay on. I might still get stuck and have a hard time getting them out of the muck. I try to avoid that and wait until it dries up.

I harvested gobo once in a raincoat and boots. I still got dirty all over. The boots had a leak and the water and mud was in my boot and between my toes. Cold outdoor showers are not fun.

ElizabethA
Cool Member

I love wearing LL Bean boots for gardening. I like how you can pull them on without untying them and they are tall enough to keep the water out. You can get insulated or uninsulated depending on where u garden! These are my favorite gardening boots!

webmaster
Site Admin

digitS' wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:50 am
One foot slides out of a rubber boot. Freedom! Now, where to set the sock-covered foot?
As an angler that's one of my nightmares, of walking around in a lake or a river bed and getting my boots stuck in swampy quicksand-like mud and having to swim back to shore without my fishing gear.

I see people all the time walking around in that muck but I read a story about a guy who was angling and was attacked by thousands of mosquitoes and had to drop his fishing rod and skidaddle, but his boots got stuck in the mud so he had to pull his feet out of them and swim to shore while covered in a cloud of mosquitoes.

Nice looking boots! We have ticks sometimes around these parts so maybe I'll get something like that, too!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 am
digitS' wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:50 am
One foot slides out of a rubber boot. Freedom! Now, where to set the sock-covered foot?
As an angler that's one of my nightmares, of walking around in a lake or a river bed and getting my boots stuck in swampy quicksand-like mud and having to swim back to shore without my fishing gear.

I see people all the time walking around in that muck but I read a story about a guy who was angling and was attacked by thousands of mosquitoes and had to drop his fishing rod and skidaddle, but his boots got stuck in the mud so he had to pull his feet out of them and swim to shore while covered in a cloud of mosquitoes.

Nice looking boots! We have ticks sometimes around these parts so maybe I'll get something like that, too!
TWRA in TN gives out free fishing maps that shows the locations & dates where trout is stocked into all TN rivers. TWRA has trout farms they stock rivers in many places, tame fish jump right on your hook fishing is so easy if your a good fisherman. Last time I went fishing I caught nothing but my friend Larry did. Listen for dam water release alarms or you might get washed down stream 20 miles. Bells & siren sounds for about 15 minutes before water is released from the dam, water rises about 1 ft per minute. I like white fish like trout, crappy is good white fish too, catfish tastes like mud. Lots of people troll for crappy in a boat with 12 fishing pools, I have a friend Craig that does trolling, I think the limit is 48 fish every time you go to the lake or river, go home unload your fish then return to catch another 48 fish. TN river is about 680 miles long & 1 to 4 miles wide. Trout are in streams I like going to Big South Fork National Wilderness area we camp for several days at Brandy Creek camp ground, make online camping reservations, $11 per night for seniors. Here is a pic of river Honet Creek at Big South Fork = BSF on TN KY border. BSF river has a kayak 5 rating certain times of the year, Aug rating is low less than 1 water is 3 ft deep and crystal clear. I need mud boots for my garden but can't find my size no one sell boots larger than 12.
Attachments
31239285_10214089304419739_1559612795383709696_n.jpg
HoneyCreek1.jpg
100_2833.JPG
100_2834.JPG
100_2835.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

Ha! This thread got resurrected by a spammer (I don’t mean Gary350 - he got a post in while I was composing mine :lol:). I’m ridding the spam, but read the thread from the beginning.

Funny how I missed the spoon question (sorry VanIsle) and also the white boots commentary in the middle because the “new boots” cracked and I bought NEW new boots I think early this spring — WHITE.

1. They were on sale with best price for the type of boots
2 They turned out to be Dunlops (not mentioned or noticed when I bought them) These have been exceedingly sturdy and reliable.

They do collect mud in the tracks and I wash them most days before coming inside — and yeah, I ALWAYS KEEP BOOTS JUST INSIDE THE BACK DOOR. Learned THAT lesson when my gardening footwear dried up and fell apart from the sun way back long time ago. And I do worry that something like spiders would be inside if I left them out.
Attachments
…what do you know? I have a pic of them
…what do you know? I have a pic of them

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

That's exactly why I never leave my rubber boots or clogs or tennis shoes outside. Too many pests outside that would crawl down in there and poop: wasps, snakes, frogs, mice, etc. Years ago my mother left her boots outside and she was stung on the top of her foot by an evil wasp.

imafan26
Mod

I get that so well. I was cleaning out the bromeliads yesterday and the ants started crawling all over my hands and shoes. I wear crocs most of the time. It felt like ants were crawling all over me for hours after that. At least my ants don't bite.

I usually don't have to wade in high water, but I have had my boots and shoes stuck in the mud before, No fun at all. I did have to get a new pair of boots because the other one leaked where the upper attaches to the sole. It is where it always leaks.

My problem with boots is that, when my feet swell, I can't actually get in the boot until my feet are less swollen. Even my calf swells so the boots become very difficult to put on. I bought larger boots last time. They are loose when my feet are not swollen, and up to a point it will be tight around the ankle when my feet are swollen. Beyond a little swelling, I still cannot get the boots on. That is why I use crocs in the garden most of the time.

Boots, however, offer more protection for my feet and shins when I am weed whacking.

I'd like to get a better pair of boots, but it is hard to buy boots online to get a good fit.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”