Grandma99
Cool Member

Connections to switch hose ends

I had purchased a hose with a nozzle on the end here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079B ... UTF8&psc=1

I really like that I can switch the spray from spray to full etc although I usually use the spray setting for watering my vegetables. Problem is ... I get very tired because I have to bend over very low to water the base of plants and would prefer a wand end BUT ... I don't want to give up the existing nozzle. I saw a video on YouTube where someone said to get 'quick connections' which allows you to switch ends without shutting off the water. My water is from a pump house a long ways away.

Is there anything I can do to allow me to attach a wand usually but switch to nozzle at times without switching off the water at the pump house? Thank you for any ideas!

added: the discussion about switching ends is from here: https://youtu.be/VaTkzYv8sMo beginning at 14:18 but I don't know quite what he means nor where to purchase something like this and whether it would work on my existing nozzle.

Grandma99
Cool Member

Actually, I think I might have found it: https://www.raypadula.com/products/hosee ... qkkfm.html

It suggests I won't have to turn off the water first because it handles it! Anyway, any of you that have used similar things, I'd appreciate your input on it before I spend money on something. Thank you so much!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Those kind of things, with the valves inside the quick-connect, are messy, when you remove or put in another one, under pressure, plus, you have to push hard, to get the male end to open the valve. I put all those with the valves on my timer outlets, where I almost never remove them! It's better to put one of these things on the hose as a valve, then use the quick-connect kind w/o the valve in them. However, these kinds of valves can also be hard to turn just that 90º, so test them in person, if possible. I'm just posting an example of what I'm talking about. I have one of these on the end of my main hose, with a female quick-connect, and the male ones on all of the things I want to use frequently.
https://www.amazon.com/Twinkle-Star-Gar ... 156&sr=8-5

Here's an example of the ones I get, with no valve - you just pull back that piece on the female end, and the male slides right end.
https://www.amazon.com/No-Leaks-Pressur ... XYA3W4XZW8

Grandma99
Cool Member

Hello Dave :-)

I'm having a bit of trouble envisioning how they attach. Thank you so very much for helping! My hands are quite weak so I would probably have trouble with the ones I mentioned, like you said, if they are difficult.

The hose has a shut-off to begin with; I had forgotten and had to look at the photo again. I shut it off every day and never go back to the pump house so you'd have thought I remembered that but I had forgotten. So since I can shut it off, then all I'll need are the ones you provide in your second link, right? That's the male and female pieces both, right? I don't understand which is the female and which is the male but, if I understand you (and that's a huge if), I would attach a female end to the hose and attach a wand to that. Then I would attach a male to the end of the nozzle. When I want to use the nozzle, the male will just slide into the female. Oh dear, that sounded suggestive, LOL! But am I understanding it right?

applestar
Mod

I use quick connects and have all kinds though not the ones you or pepperhead212 has shown.

- I have both open and shutoff when disconnected connectors.

- I have aging Gilmour brand sets that were sold in orange and grey “plastic” which don’t show up in search - they seem to have dark grey “polymer” ones now. These orange ones have lost their connecting collar clips over the years - they break off and then can’t connect.
- I have the all brass type - likely Nelson brand but both larger diameter “male” end (I call them innies) similar to the ones you have linked though the “female” end (I call them outies) are longer/bulkier ...these are older models and newer models may not do this, but I find they lock together securely but not easy/impossible to connect/disconnect when hose is under water pressure - you have to turn off the water first.
- I also have sets of all brass ones with narrower innies that also fit in the plastic outies
- by far the most reliable connectors with hose at full pressure have been yellow and tan Nelson brand

I agree that using the valve shut off between hose end and quick connect makes everything much easier.

I buy them as innie-outies, outie-outies, innie-innies, and outie-innies — if that makes sense. First word indicates the hose end - 2nd word configuration of the connection. By having all four types available, you can connect same type hose end — innie to innie or outie to outie, because only the connection shapes need to interlock.

Be warned — I found out that mixing zinc metal hose end or hose end sprayers or Y’s, multi connects, etc. and brass connectors oxidize and fuse together

applestar
Mod

I did have an idea — haven’t tried it though — what if you strap a length of pvc to the hose with Velcro cable tie or removable zip-tie? Won’t that provide a wand-like holder for the hose with the current nozzle?

Grandma99
Cool Member

Thank you! I plan to purchase multiple innies and outies as described in Dave's link so I can mix and match as I need them. I don't quite understand how they work but once I get my hands on them, I'm sure I'll understand completely! Another thing I am planning is potentially switching to drip or soaker (although I'll still want a wand/sprayer so may go with Y connector at hose). So much to learn! :-()

Grandma99
Cool Member

pepperhead212, hallelujah! I received the quick connectors today and it took me 10 minutes to figure out how they snap together! So very cool! And they snap together so easily! Thank you so much for helping - both of you had great ideas! I'm afraid the PVC pipe idea was beyond me but anyone can do these quick connectors! You ROCK, Dave!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I bought this at Harbor Freight $3.99 the price goes up and down weekly. Yesterday they were $2.99 and 2 weeks ago they were $5.99. I always use the 20% coupon. These have 8 adjustments for 8 different sprays. I have 1 on the front yard hose, 1 on side yard hose and 1 on back yard patio hose. They work great for everything. When new plants are tiny I water them 1 week or so until they get larger. When I plant seeds I water them 1 week or so until they grow. Today I watered water melons hoping to get larger melons. I use it to clean off the patio, put water in dog & cat bowl , wash cars, wash camper trailer, etc. 6 of the 8 spray settings are for long spray so you no have to bend over.
Attachments
92398_W3.jpg

Grandma99
Cool Member

It has a mist too! I had a nozzle with a 'shower' setting but I wanted a longer one so I purchased this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AW ... UTF8&psc=1

It's longer so I don't need to bend down to water only the soil but it isn't even a 'shower' ... it comes out too hard and fast! My neighbor just mentioned that they had a 'mist' on their nozzle and that is what I want too. So now I have to purchase a different nozzle to put on the end of of the long pole of this one I purchased. I shall check on your suggestion IMMEDIATELY! Thank you so much!

BTW, at least all these connections are easy to switching using the Quick Connect ends on them. :-)

Grandma99
Cool Member

I'm going to order it! On Harbor Freight, there are 1,933 reviews with an average of 4.5 stars ... that, and your recommendation, say it all in my book!

On Harbor Freight, it is $5.99 with $6.99 shipping. On Amazon, it is $4.99 with $4.99 shipping so I ordered it from Amazon. Thank you again!! :D

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”