ZoeZoeZoe
Newly Registered

Trellis climbers

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, and to gardening! I was hoping for some advice regarding trellis climbers please. I have done some Googling but think you may be more help.
I will be putting up some 6ft x 6ft (1.83m x 1.83m) square trellis panels. The panels will be running outwards from the house, near a window at the start of the row. The trellis will not be against a wall, it will just be held up by posts, so almost like a normal fence.
I am looking for evergreen climbers (so it looks covered and full all year) that also flower at some point (ideally white and/or pink). Also, I do not want the plants to protrude far from the trellis at all, as this will affect the light coming in the window.
So basically, is there a selection of evergreen climbers that flower with white and/or pink flowers, that will stay as close to the trellis as possible and therefore won't protrude too far forward from the trellis?
I am happy to mix various plants, such as a non-flowering climber as a base, then a flowering climber put into the mix too etc.
Thank you very much in advance for your help. Sorry for the long message.

applestar
Mod

Absolutely need
1 - geographic location
2 - minimum winter temperature if you want something perennial
3 - orientation of the trellis and house — relative to sun

Also any overhead trees or shadow casting structures in addition to house

ZoeZoeZoe
Newly Registered

Hi Applestar,
1. Inland South East, UK.
2. I guess our minimum winter temperature is minus 2 degrees C? Ish?
3. The trellis would be on the north side of the house but would get the early morning sun and the late afternoon sun. The area is quite open, so nothing in particular overhead or casting a shadow apart from the actual house itself in the middle of the day when the sun is completely in the back garden.
Thank you very much for your help so far :-)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Kind of tricky. The kind of fast growing, evergreen vines, that will give you good coverage/ screening tend to get huge and will rapidly overwhelm your little 6*6' spaces. You will need to make sure all the supports are very solid or vines like these can bring the whole thing down.

The other caveat is that tough, hardy fast growing vines tend to be invasive. You will have to monitor closely to be sure they don't take over your yard/ neighborhood . One example is trumpet creeper or the closely related crossvine. Cross vine may be a little better behaved. I one time made the mistake of planting trumpet creeper to grow up a drain pipe on the side of our house. It took a couple years to get well established. Then it took off and was rapidly crawling over the roof of our two story house and threatening to swallow the house up. And seedlings of it started to pop up all over the yard. It has some nice attributes: American native with showy orange or red flowers that hummingbirds love, followed by seeds that feed finches and other birds all winter. But it is dangerous.

Other fast growing, invasive, large vines include euonymus / winter creeper and English ivy. Lonicera / trumpet honeysuckle is better behaved, but still a bit big for your space. Other possibilities are winter jasmine (exceptionally fragrant white flowers), Carolina jessamine , five leaf akebia, evergreen clematis

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oops ! Duplicate post.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”