applestar
Mod

Re: 2019 What's the weather like where you are?

Heat index high of 106F at 3pm today, and it’s supposed to get up to 112F on Saturday PM. :eek:

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It is disgusting out there! I go out for brief periods of time, and come back in. My peppers and okra are loving this!

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Steaming hot and dry; temps in the mid nineties and heat index at 115.

applestar
Mod

Wow it seems like it gets hotter in the summer and colder in the winter there, @PaulF

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

The rain sounds like hail, and it got incredibly windy. Up to .35" now, and wind has let up. Dropped to 84° from 96°.

applestar
Mod

Yay! And down to 73°F now, Whew!

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

It's 10:00 at night here and is 83. So hot today!! Haven't reached the single digits yet, but I'm sure it will. Not one drop of rain this week, but noticed a chance next week! Fingers crossed!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Back home in TN weather report is rain every day including Monday 7/22/19. In Michigan UP it feels like about 80 degrees F sunny & very nice day, people here are complaining how hot it is. 70 at night. I guess if your accustom to -40 below zero and 12 ft of snow 80 degrees might feel hot. People are swimming & water skiing in this cold lake water like its a hot tub, it feels a tiny bit cold to me but not bad once I get use to it but I can not stay in water long. Tomorrow we see, water fall, 12 mile beach, rainbow rock. Sun is up very early must be about 4 am & dark about 10:30 pm.
Attachments
100_4310.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Total darkness, Gary? How about the full moon, 2 nights ago :shock: ? Yes, I live on a line of latitude north of Marquette. Long, long days compensate for the short days of winter.

Summer Warmth? We are on a seesaw!

Nearest US Weather Service Station to garden had the morning low at 51°f. Second closest in opposite direction had it at 46°. Another high above 90° by Monday.

Steve

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I don't know what the heat index was today, but it is supposed to be at least 110° tomorrow. I should not have done so much today, but since it is going to be worse tomorrow, I had to get some done today!

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Goodness gracious! It's enough to make you want to sit in your refrigerator! Thankfully I still haven't seen the triple digets here, but eventually they'll come. We're expecting rain next week, but we'll see. My rain barrel is almost empty.

applestar
Mod

It’s currently 92°F here with heat index of 98°F I looked at the temperature distribution map and it’s hotter here than in some areas of Florida or Midwest or Houston,Texas — I suppose some of that apparent anomaly compared to folks that should be in hotter areas is that our sunrise was at 5:50am and it’s noon here now — solid 6 hrs of sun already.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Today the highest temp was 98! So awful! It's almost 5:00 p.m now and it's 96.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Rain and thunder now. A little bit ago the wind was blowing so hard that it looked harder than a few days ago, when a lot of power lines went down. It went through faster this time, but still raining. And worst is yet to come, they just said!

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Hey! I hear thunder now, to! Yippeeeeeee! :-() Gonna go clean rain buckets!

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Wind was TERRIBLE! Trees were whipping, pine needles blew across the sky, it was so bad I wondered if a tornado had landed across the road. :> I was in the backyard during it all cleaning rain buckets. Sadly, I didn't get much rain out of it. I harvested what ripening tomatoes there were before it rained in case the fruits may have split the next day.
Attachments
IMG_20190722_180055.jpg
IMG_20190722_180235.jpg
IMG_20190722_180657.jpg

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We are having an exceptionally mild summer this morning was 64 degrees F it warmed up to 82. July is usually 98 to 100 every day. Weather forecast is 90 Sat, 91 Sun, 92 Mon, heat is on the way. We had 1 day of 100 deg weather about 2 months ago. We need more summers like this in TN. I hope this exceptional cold summer is not an indication of an exceptionally cold winter this year last year was bad enough. I wonder what sun spots are doing this year I don't keep up with that anymore. Earths temperature is controlled by sun spot activity on the sun. As I recall last summer sun spot activity was high for a while EMP knocked out electric power for several States for 1 day.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It was only in the middle 80s today, and low humidity, but it is going to start going up again. Still, nothing like it was last week, so I won't complain! And some tomatoes are blooming again, though not all. Though tomatoes take a while to get back, after a heat wave causes blossom drop. However, eggplants come back fast! Already, the ones that stopped producing, flowered on Tuesday or Wednesday, and there are 1-2" eggplants on there already!

imafan26
Mod

Today it was only 81 degrees. There was a breeze, but it was still a good day to be in an air conditioned store or mall. I spent the morning weeding the garden. It was hot and I was glad to have my cup of ice and soda with me. I know, it would have been better if it was water, but I don't like water.
Right now, it is raining. It is typical in El Nino years to get some summer rain. It is a warm rain, so it is still muggy.

applestar
Mod

The anime about “Hataraku Saibo” (Cells at Work) has a new episode (11.5) this summer — that was sponsored by a Japanese smart water/ionized water product, and created “in collaboration” — about heatstroke. I came across it on YouTube and unfortunately it only has Japanese subtitles — they or someone may come up with English one later....

In it, they explained that when the body is in imminent danger of heatstroke in high humidity, a condition develops in which hydrating with plain water becomes insufficient, creating a spiraling cycle of dehydration. This is why -they explained- a mineralized/ionized/smart water is the only way to recover.

It was interesting. I think this might be why I have always found adding sea salt to fruit juice or maple syrup water or fruit/flower/herb cordial seems so refreshing after coming in from the gardening when it’s really hot.

アニメ「はたらく細胞」の“新作”11.5話が公開!
「ポカリスエット」とのコラボでアナザーストーリー

Ha! I wondered why it was labeled Episode 11.5 I didn’t recognize the details because somehow I missed watching Episode 11. This original full length one at Crunchyroll has English subtitles, and it looks like the 11.5 is a kind off subset of this one so most of the physical conditions are explained.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/cells-at-wo ... oke-774893

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
In it, they explained that when the body is in imminent danger of heatstroke in high humidity, a condition develops in which hydrating with plain water becomes insufficient, creating a spiraling cycle of dehydration. This is why -they explained- a mineralized/ionized/smart water is the only way to recover.
I read Gatorade was invented for football players that practice in the heat in Florida it contains correct minerals needed to replace what the body has lost. That is how Gatorade got is name, alligators in Florida.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Sadly, the temps are heating back up after a few days of mildness in the low to mid 80's. Now they're reaching into the 90's again. Sad.

ACW

Thursday London had its hottest day in recorded history ,man that was a killer ,did nothing all day .thankfully it has cooled down and some much needed rain,has fallen .
so much cooler today ,have put my short trousers in the wash ,kinder on folks eyes ,I don't have good looking legs,LOL!
Jealous of some of you people my tomatoes are still green,only odd french beans ,courgettes and blackberries coming into the kitchen at the moment .

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Our little respite from the heat and high humidity has come to an end. Last week the temperatures got into the upper 80's with lower than average, but still fairly high humidity and it wasn't a total drain to work outdoors.

This morning I had to get up in my attic to do some work for about 1 hour and was soaking wet by the time I climbed out----and that was by 8 a.m.------I'd hate to see what temperature it will be by early this afternoon.

The only things left in the garden are okra, some hot and bell peppers and eggplant----which are fading fast and fruit getting sun scald before getting large enough to use.

My mantra this time of year is "Fall is not far away". It will be at least 2 months before the temperatures and humidity fall off to relatively comfortable levels.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

69 degrees & very heavy Fog.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

85 degrees and not even 10:00 a.m yet.

applestar
Mod

Foggy this morning — the plants will like that, especially since we haven’t been getting enough rain — there was a passing teaser last night ...almost none of the local weather bug stations are reporting any accumulation ...oh, there’s ONE out of 5 that is reporting 0.2 inches....

... but so will the fungal diseases :?

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Got some rain, Sunday! It was nice; helped cool down those temps temporarily. But it's already scorching again.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It was 99°f this afternoon.

The wind picked up a little yesterday evening and shifted from the north. By nightfall, the smell of smoke was fairly intense. Hazy with smoke this morning but, we were told, air quality was "moderate."

Forest fire near the Canadian and US border ...

Steve

applestar
Mod

5:12am — it’s 60°F out there :shock: ...while it’s nice and cool and all, THIS is likely why melons, peppers, and eggplants (and okra) do not grow well in the ground here. Forecast calls for 2 more overnights in the low 60’s like this.....

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:5:12am — it’s 60°F out there :shock: ...while it’s nice and cool and all, THIS is likely why melons, peppers, and eggplants (and okra) do not grow well in the ground here. Forecast calls for 2 more overnights in the low 60’s like this.....
I'm wishing for such weather right now. It's barely getting into the upper 79's at night here in New Orleans and is crazy hot during the day. Right now after just checking the weather report it is 91 degrees F with 73% humidity for a "feels like" temperature of 107.

Downright nasty to even walk around outside right how. I waited until 9 to cut my grass and went outside, then turned around and came back in and decided to get out at 8 tomorrow morning.

applestar
Mod

Such difference! ....I almost hesitate to report that it’s 55°F this morning....
(sure wish I could share some of this with you)

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Such difference! ....I almost hesitate to report that it’s 55°F this morning....
(sure wish I could share some of this with you)

Well, it swings the other way in winter. When N.J. is getting hammered with below freezing temperatures and things are icing up, we're enjoying mid 50's weather for days on end. We all have our "Achille's Heel" when it comes to weather related drudgery.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OMG ..... hot, hot, hot and dry. We haven't had any rain for at least a couple weeks and not a trace of it in the ten day forecast. 97 degrees today, 98 tomorrow and then low to mid 90's all the rest of the ten days and sunny and dry. I've been watering and watering, but I may not be able to save everything.

For awhile we were opening the house up at night, because the A/C is set for 78 degrees. As long as the temps stay below that, it doesn't kick on. The last three nights I never opened up, because it wasn't cool enough. Last night the low was 76, but it didn't get there until 5 AM and then was only very briefly there before it was back up in the 80's. Even the pokeweed and black eyed susans are wilted!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:OMG ..... hot, hot, hot and dry. We haven't had any rain for at least a couple weeks and not a trace of it in the ten day forecast. 97 degrees today, 98 tomorrow and then low to mid 90's all the rest of the ten days and sunny and dry. I've been watering and watering, but I may not be able to save everything.

I quit watering when I got my water bill in June and it was $160 and change. Kind of negates the savings by growing my own produce if my water bill is that much higher. My normal water bill is between $100-110 and the following month it was only $88 since we got a lot of rain and I didn't have to water anything other than potted plants on the porches.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

This was the forecast today. I worked in the garden also worked on the vehicle. Drove across town with windows down and back AC is broken. Stood in driveway for an hour putting Freon in the vehicle AC unit. Worked on the RV and pulled weeds & grass near patio. It seemed hotter yesterday than today. Weather man claims rain tomorrow but I have to see it to believe it. Top 4" of garden soil is dry dust. OH well its not bothering me.
Attachments
68255667_2849798171714831_4956796407416619008_n.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We did get a bunch of very welcome rain last night, here in Chattanooga, and it is cooler today. Those numbers in the graphic are (as labelled) heat index = heat + humidity. Ours was 106.

imafan26
Mod

It is 69 degrees right now, but it is going up to 89 today. The humidity index will probably put it in the 90's. Needless to say, I am not spending too much time outdoors except to water the plants. I am actually glad I am working today, even if it is in the afternoon. At least I will be in an air conditioned building. I am glad, at least where I live the temperature does not get above 100 very often, but August is the month when it will occasionally get to be 100+ especially once I get down the hill.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

HOT HOT HOT. No rain for a couple of weeks or more. Just heat. So sad I could just throw up.

applestar
Mod

Another heatwave through Wednesday — high of 90’s with heat index of 100+ / Overnights in the 70’s — this will be good for the melons and probably eggplants, too.

...Then heat is supposed to break and we’re supposed to have 80’s high/60’s low — I might try soaking some peas and sow them then — see if they will sprout in time for fall crop.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”