applestar
Mod

Re: 2019 What's the weather like where you are?

46°F this morning :eek: — but hopefully only temporary. I have plants out there that won’t like/can’t take this kind of temperature (right @imafan? :wink: ). Weekend forecast is high of 87°F for both Sat and Sun.

...but I had better start getting the indoor winter spaces ready for the mass returning vacationers...

imafan26
Mod

BRRRR! 46 degrees! It is 73 degrees now and it is almost 3 a.m. It is going to be another hot day up to 89 degrees later. Right now, I need a blanket.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It's 48°f this morning, AppleStar. You have us beat for a low :) .

Visibility is 1 mile at a nearby airport. There wasn't much rain and no thunderstorms over my house yesterday but that was not so for plenty of places, not so far away. Foggy!
TomatoNut95 wrote:WOO-HOO! Tropical depression Imelda is headed right my way! Not that I'm pleased that's gonna be stormy ...
Doing okay there, TomatoNut??

Houston newspaper - heavy rain

Steve

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Doing just great! Right now it is 9:30 am and is raining lightly. Temperature is 73! Feels great! My chickens are lovin it! Rain gauge showed 1/2" rain since yesterday evening! This cloudy coolness messed my dehydrating my bells out in the car, so gonna figure out how to do it in the oven.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Rats. Think Imelda has pretty much gone. Rain gauge says 1.5" of rain...however I didn't get the gauge out until late Wednesday afternoon because I was outta town and it had already been raining. I'd say I got maybe 2". I would've appreciated more, even if it did come a storm, but not gonna complain about what I did get. Right now the sun is peeking in and out, the time is 10:55 am, and temperature is a humid 83.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:Rats. Think Imelda has pretty much gone. Rain gauge says 1.5" of rain...however I didn't get the gauge out until late Wednesday afternoon because I was outta town and it had already been raining. I'd say I got maybe 2". I would've appreciated more, even if it did come a storm, but not gonna complain about what I did get. Right now the sun is peeking in and out, the time is 10:55 am, and temperature is a humid 83.

Looks like Houston got a lot with the extensive flooding in that city with over 9 inches in one day.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Almost exactly what we have had in 2019 for the 3 months just past.

June, July and August: 1.97 inches

The little storms were spread out, amounted to a beneficial amount, and came at good times for the gardener. Often lately, summers pass with only a few sprinkles, each amounting to 1/10th of an inch or a little more.

Probably the greatest benefit this year was a fire season with considerably less damage to forests. We aren't out of harm's way yet but cooler temperatures and some rain in the forecast helps to lift spirits considerably :).

Steve

imafan26
Mod

It is 72 degrees right now and warming up fast. It rained yesterday in the morning and it is supposed to rain again starting this afternoon into tomorrow. More rain is forecast for the week to come. The rain is welcome. It has been awhile. My rain barrel is just about 1/3 full. (I have two connected rain barrels so it is actually about 30 gallons of water in two barrels. This is all that has been collected since I emptied the barrel in July. Most of the rain will be coming in the evening and overnight hours. Good thing. I have to tell you that people here don't know how to drive in the rain, so it is best to stay off the road as much as possible. I do expect the power to go out or blink a few times. Our power grid also does not fare well in the rain. I have a new computer now since 2 power outages in 3 days last month fried my computer.

Yesterday, I planted some butternut and flower seeds in the herb garden so the rain can help them germinate. I may not have enough time today to plant more seeds if the rain comes early. It is cloudy now with very little wind. My palm leaves are barely moving. Who needs an anemometer if you have a palm tree. I think the wind is probably less than 5mph now. It does not take much to get palm leaves to move.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OMG, OMG! The ten day forecast STILL has no days with high temps below 90, until the last day of the forecast, when it suddenly goes from 94 on 10/3 to 84 on 10/4. And STILL NO RAIN in the ten day forecast, not one trace of it. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Forecast: Sunday 9/29 95, Mon, Tues, Wed 96. Tues is Oct 1st. The record high for the date is 90 degrees. So if forecast is accurate, we will be SIX degrees over the record high. (normal for Oct 1 here is 78 degrees, so we will be nearly 20 degrees above normal ) All those other days will be records also....

Earlier I had pulled a lot of stuff that wasn't doing well -- tomatoes, beans, etc. But I kept the stuff that was handling it. Yesterday I was out dismantling the garden, pulled everything that was left-- squash, peppers, okra, basil. All that stuff was wilted, but would have perked up again if I had watered. But I can't keep pouring water on them. I have a bunch of young to young-ish trees, shrubs, perennials that I have to water. As it is, even with watering I'm not sure the strawberries will make it. They were so beautiful and flourishing this spring. Now I have a bare, empty garden. :cry: I have never had to do that before.

And of course, I can't plant seeds for fall crops until this weather breaks and the rains come back. Normally I would plant fall seeds the end of August. It will be October and I still can't plant. That means not only did we not get much summer crop (this weather set in in July), we won't have a fall crop either. I can and will plant some things to over winter, but we won't be eating them for fall. So much for being able to feed ourselves from our garden!

This is NOT NORMAL ! And it isn't just me. Look for food prices to go up. Many places in the Midwest had historic levels of rain and flooding for months:
USA Today writer Doyle Rice reported on Wednesday that, “Flooding in at least 8 states along portions of the Mississippi River – due to relentless, record-breaking spring rainfall – is the longest-lasting since the ‘Great Flood’ of 1927, the National Weather Service said. The Mississippi River at the Quad Cities of Iowa and Illinois saw its longest stretch above major flood stage ever recorded, even surpassing that of 1927.All of this year’s flooding is due to both early spring snowmelt and seemingly endless rain: Since the start of 2019, much of the lower Ohio and lower Mississippi River Valleys have picked up more than 2 feet of rain. A few spots have even received over 40 inches of rain, the Weather Channel said.
https://farmpolicynews.illinois.edu/201 ... -for-corn/
See also: https://www.eater.com/2019/5/29/1864459 ... ate-change

So corn and soybean planting was very delayed and in some places never could happen. And when the floods recede, they take a lot of the topsoil with them. Here's an article about what the flooding does to food prices: https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-econo ... epeat-1993

Midwest had torrential rains and flooding. Southwest and some Great Plains, including Colorado, Arizona, Nebraska and others were in record breaking heat and drought:
Gary Krapu, a federal research biologist at the Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center on Wednesday, June 25, 1988 in Jamestown, North Dakota, examines an expanse of dried marshland following record-breaking heat, a drastic drop in rainfall and a dry winter

Here's what we typically grow in TN: Following the soybean crop, cotton, corn for grain, and tobacco are Tennessee's most important field crops. Wheat, hay, and sorghum grain also contribute. Fruits and vegetables play a lesser role with tomatoes and snap beans ranking as the most important vegetables and apples and peaches ranking as the leading fruits.

Chattanooga historically got over 4 inches of rain a month pretty much year around. We have had barely any rain since early July.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Just heard the first thunder here for a long time! Of course, that doesn't mean I will be getting a lot of rain. This has been happening here since late July - it would go N or S of here, and I'd get a small amount.

Up to maybe mid July, we were way ahead of average rainfall - even ahead of last year, when we had the 2nd wettest year on record. Then, the rain stopped, more or less. One good thing - those moisture related diseases stopped, for the most part.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Category 4 hurricane Lorenzo is predicted to come into the Gulf. Guess I should stock up on batteries just in case...

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Some snow flurries yesterday amid intermittent rain and plenty of wind. Nothing stuck here but nearby Spokane had nearly 2 inches on the ground. More stormy, winter-like weather today.

Right now, it is 34°F here at home and the nearest volunteer station has it 1° warmer near the distant garden. Doesn't make much difference - the Weather Service has freezing temperatures predicted for about 3 or 4 mornings this week so ....

Frost isn't early this year but it came with a winter storm. Usually, it rains a little and then we have a quiet, clear night sky and the temperature drops below freezing. A little different in 2019. The garden was late because of fickle spring weather. Difficult on the plants but some came through well. Some that I thought were reliable because of past experience over many seasons, were not.

Steve

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:Category 4 hurricane Lorenzo is predicted to come into the Gulf. Guess I should stock up on batteries just in case...

The Gulf of what----Mexico? I just checked and it's heading toward the Azores which is about mid-Atlantic and from there they are saying heading toward the north Atlantic. That's a long way from the Gulf of Mexico.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

@apple - How bad was the storm last night where you are? I only heard the thunder and saw lightning in the distance (only .12" rain), but I saw in the news that up in your area it was bad.

applestar
Mod

pepperhead212 wrote:@apple - How bad was the storm last night where you are? I only heard the thunder and saw lightning in the distance (only .12" rain), but I saw in the news that up in your area it was bad.
Thanks @pepperhead212

Pretty severe system blew through, but very narrow band so it was fast — lots of thunder and a couple of lightning strikes a few blocks away. Ionized air plus the hard and fast rain cleaned up the air quality and supplied much needed rain of about 1/2 to 3/4 inches.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Grass is so dry it crunches like potato chips when I walk on it. It was 70 degrees at 6 am and 94 degrees at 3 pm. Almost no rain in 3 months and humidity is still a killer feels like 102 degrees. I am not complaining no rain is a lot better than 6 months of none stop rain Jan to May. Tomatoes & peppers are still hanging in there.
Last edited by Gary350 on Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imafan26
Mod

The first part of the year was wetter than normal and the summer was hotter than normal. Rainbow is right. The climatic factors are primed to affect our food supply and in the short term meat prices will drop as ranchers and farmers reduce their herd size. The wet early months will be to blame more than the later heat for lower yields on corn and soy beans which is grown mostly to feed animals.

I have not been watering my front yard for a couple of years since my sprinkler is not working and I can't afford to pay for the water. The water is cheap, but I have to pay sewer charges for water that does not even make it into the sewer.

This has been the driest my grass has been in years. I have huge sections of dead grass in the middle of the front yard since there was not enough rain to keep it alive.

It was too hot in July and August, so I left my main garden empty for a couple of months. I am getting ready to start planting it again. We have been getting some rain although the humidity is still very high. The Pacific High is weak now and I am thankful the Pacific storms have few up till now. The water is warmer now, so there is still a high risk for us with storms in October.

applestar
Mod

We’re already down to 11:49 daylight hours here....
469274E0-7C41-4B58-BB96-7C905AFD98C6.jpeg
— I keep waking up too early and wait for the sun to come up ...I need to re-organize my daily routine so I can do something productive until then.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Interesting... I am at the TN / GA border and we have 11 hrs and 52 minutes of daylight. I get three whole extra minutes!! :D

But our daily high temperatures are still in the mid 90's until Friday!! (and NO RAIN!) It is amazing -- fewer hours of daylight, cooler evenings, nights (lows about 70), and mornings means very large, fast temperature swings through the day.

There is finally rain in the forecast, a week from today. Hope it actually materializes!

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

The Gulf of what----Mexico? I just checked and it's heading toward the Azores which is about mid-Atlantic and from there they are saying heading toward the north Atlantic. That's a long way from the Gulf of Mexico.[/quote]

The Gulf of Mexico is where I last heard the hurricane was going. My weather App isn't too great, so I hear about approaching hurricanes and stuff through family. Hmm. In that case, I won't bother about stocking up.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:
The Gulf of Mexico is where I last heard the hurricane was going. My weather App isn't too great, so I hear about approaching hurricanes and stuff through family. Hmm. In that case, I won't bother about stocking up.

Better to be prepared and not need it than need it and not have it, but you won't need 3 loaves of bread and cases of bottled water for this one. They are saying it may go as far as the U.K. and hit the west coast of it with some rain. By then the winds should have died down considerably as the storm gets over colder water of the North Atlantic.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Since Lorenzo isn't coming in the gulf, that's a relief for poor Houston!

It was foggy and cloudy this morning. When the sun finally came out about 9 something, I sliced up my third batch of peppers and put them out in the car. After going to all that trouble, the sun went away, and it's spotty. Aaaarrrrgghhh. The weather NEVER goes along with what you need or want to do!! Oh well. I'll finish then off in the oven like I did last time.

Right now it is 10:15, and the temp is a yucky-feeling 80.

imafan26
Mod

It has been raining a little bit every day. Typical for this time of the year. There is not enough rain to water everything, but most will stay wet enough that I can water every 2 days instead of everyday for most things. The rain is still warm and it is still very humid although the high temperature is still around 87 degrees and the lows are in the low 70's. The grass is recovering and growing again, where it isn't totally dead, so are the weeds.

My fluorescent lights are unhappy though. They don't always turn on with the high humidity.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

It has been yucky and hot these past few days. However, we are expected to get some storms in the near future, and afterwards temperatures will drop to highs of 80's and lows of 50-60's. Time to get my cool-season crop seeds ready! Carrots, lettuce and turnip greens, here I come!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Yucky and hot is a good way to describe this! 95° today, and horrible humidity. Yet tomorrow, the forecast high is 66°, and they are forecasting a 40°drop 24 hrs. from that 95° time. And Saturday morning a 47° low! I will have to get my curry tree inside, at least temporarily.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

95 was exactly my high to. Just makes a body feel.....well, blah. But hot enough to dry my sweet bananas in. I had to spray off my 'dehydrater'(car, that is) after that woman's nasty mutt used it for a fire hydrant.....if you know what I mean. I tell you guys, I would like to have an electric fence around my house so powerful I could hear the hum from my porches.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Still getting into the 104+ "feels like" temperatures with the heat and humidity but a cool front they've been promising for a couple weeks looks to be coming our way by the weekend and we'll see temps in the lower 80's to upper 70's during the day and into the mid to high 60's at night.

All I can say is it's about damn time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I highly disapprove of your language, but yes, it is about time we get cooler temps. After all, it is October now.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:I highly disapprove of your language, but yes, it is about time we get cooler temps. After all, it is October now.
If that was directed at me, then you really don't want to be around when I get mad. Guess you must not watch any TV, listen to the radio, etc. if you get offended by the word "damn" because it can be heard dozens of times in the course of a single day on the networks.

Guess they figured it's not 1958 any more.

applestar
Mod

Did you forget to use one of these to indicate facial expression @TomatoNut95?

:wink: :> :P :kidding: :hehe: :D :x

If the emoticon links don’t show up because you are on a mobile device, it helps to memorize some of these emoticon codes —

Code: Select all

:wink:   :>   :P  :kidding:   :hehe:   :D    :x 
(don’t mind the “select all” — I don’t remember how to use the code displaying codes properly :roll: )

ETA — Ha! And I just remembered and realized I’m showing my age — those things are called Emoji now-a-days aren’t they? ....aaand I just hit the max emoji limit — you can only use 15, it says. (looks like the forum is counting those undisplayed codes)

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

@Gumbo, I am a Christian and am offended by cuss words. No, I do not watch TV unless I find something good and clean or see weather. I watch DVD movies, but not antenna/cable, whatever.

@Applstar, I do like to use emoji, it's just that I use Quick Reply more than Full Editor, unless I'm adding a photo. :wink

Back to weather... Time now is 9:12 a.m. and temperature is 77. I'm concerned for my onions....I don't think they're going to grow big enough before the first frost.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not sure I even think of "damn" as a cuss word. Damned for all eternity and similar phrasings appear in sermons frequently. If that's your standard, you must spend a lot of time offended, in our very secular and profane culture these days.

In the meantime, we are still caught in the same hot, dry pattern. It was 99 degrees yesterday!! Normal would be 78. We have blasted through record highs for the date, day after day. It is fall, so much more bearable, with cooler mornings, evenings, nights. And it is very dry California style heat, not TN/OH humidity. But still.... Walking out the door in the afternoon feels like stepping into an oven.

They keep promising us a break in the weather with dramatically lower temps and rain, but when that will happen keeps getting pushed back....

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Not sure I even think of "damn" as a cuss word. Damned for all eternity and similar phrasings appear in sermons frequently. If that's your standard, you must spend a lot of time offended, in our very secular and profane culture these days.

They keep promising us a break in the weather with dramatically lower temps and rain, but when that will happen keeps getting pushed back....

Yeah, those church sermons where fire and brimstone and the damnation of going to hell for us sinners must spark a mild outrage---but, to each their own. It's not like I dropped a few "F Bombs" in my post because I could understand that being offensive.

And back to weather. Like you, our prognosticators of all things weather have done the same. They dangle that carrot of milder temperatures and some much needed rain "next week" only to change that and it becomes the "following week". At least other weather services are saying cooler temps and some much needed rain are coming----when?-----why next week, of course.

Suppose to get in the upper 70's to mid 80' during the day and as low as the mid to lower 60' at night---AND bring in a little rain to boot. Can't wait.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

The way people use that word, it is a cuss word. But anyway, let's drop the subject.

Yesterday evening we got a little storm, and temperatures dropped from 95 to 76! Felt so good! But today it was a hot and nasty 92. After shopping in Wal-Mart for what felt like hours, and finally got out to the car, I impatiently got into my big jug of fruit punch. Along with my purchases I got a pack of Califlower and a pack of Cabbage. Getting ready for my cool weather garden! :D

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It's supposed to get down to 46° here tonight, after 95° Wednesday! Crazy weather.

applestar
Mod

I’m not sure if I did everything that was needed... I prepped for the forecast which in my area said 42, so I though the low might break into the upper 30’s worst case... But now, I’m seeing adjusted “feels like” of as low as 36°F. :|

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

58 this morning. 93 after lunch. Forecast small rain tomorrow. We will see.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Right now it is 10:00 am. It is raining, and the temp is a nice cool 70! Yesterday I picked what was left of the bell peppers and carried them to church; thankfully they all went because I really didn't want to mess with them. I just want to pull the plants up to make room for the next stuff. This morning I picked what was pickable from the zipper pea patch. After this rain is over, I'll get the garden cleared out(but I may leave my yellow bell longer 'cause there are a couple of more baby peppers on it) and put in the MG organic garden soil.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It's 77° here at noon, and much more humid today. I know I'll be turning the AC on today.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

This morning my digital thermometer read 56 for the low. Right now it's 64. For a change it feels cold. Brr. Oh how I hate the winter. I want to get my Christmas shopping done before flu season gets worse..but what to get people..haven't the slightest idea. I may just go with gift cards. My Grandma always says that gift cards and cash are no fun to give because they cannot be wrapped in a box. But I always tell her...just fill a box full of dollar bills; that can be wrapped, right??!! :)

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”