applestar
Mod

What are you eating from your 2019 garden?

Still early here, but I’m starting to harvest some very early greens — they are not full size yet but have grown beyond baby greens on the patio in their SIP’s.

— arugula, lettuce, kale —

I’m also getting spinach and onion greens from my Winter Garden in th garage. :D

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I have some lettuce, Swiss Chard and beets still holding over from the fall garden and just finished off the sugar snaps that I removed from one trellis a couple days ago to get that bed ready for new seeds. I also have 4 red cabbages that are now forming heads that I put in the garden earlier this year.

Other than that, it is in transition with new seeds and starter plants in the ground. So far there's tomatoes, bell peppers, several habanero pepper plants, red and yellow onions, garlic that are up and growing and the seeds are sown for yard longs, bush beans, pickling and slicing cucumbers, squash and about a week from now I'll be putting in the okra seeds.

I still want to put in some eggplant and usually put in Ichiban and the purple globe types.

imafan26
Mod

Buttercrunch lettuce, komatsuna, perpetual spinach, and green onions. I also have some calamondin and meyer lemons as well.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So far what I am eating from my garden is the overwintered stuff -- carrots, swiss chard, onion, garlic, herbs.

I have baby broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, spinach, chard, leeks that are a few inches high!! So not too long before I can begin thinning by eating! :)

My garden is a bit behind where it would have been because we had rain, rain, rain, rain and it washed out and or rotted out most of the first planting of seeds....

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Lettuce! Spinach! Chard! Asparagus!

I love spring! :eek:

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Leeks that wintered over, Kale, Tomatoes, basil, parsley.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Chives and over-wintered kale.

It seems like only a week or so ago that those chives were deeply covered with snow. They are always the earliest thing harvested, despite being in the shadiest part of the backyard garden. We have them with scrambled eggs!

The Scotch kale plants are in the two beds that have been covered with a temporary hoop house each year. This is the first year where their placement was strategically planned. The plastic film has been over them for several weeks. Another nice mess of leaves came off the plants, yesterday. Very nice and tender ...

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We had our first ripe strawberry!

Over wintered onions are making scapes, so I have started using them.

Broccoli isn't making heads yet, but has big leaves, so I have put the occasional one in salads.

We've had tons of chickweed , which we eat in salad as well as feeding to the chickens. Purslane is starting to come in now, another of my favorite edible weeds.

Various herbs. Oregano and thyme are thriving, lavender has flower buds, sage has new leaves, bee balm and lemon balm are big and bushy and have flower buds.

SQWIB -- You are in Philadelphia and you have ripe tomatoes in your garden in April!? How do you do that? I am here at the GA/TN line (7B). My tomato plants have flowers on them, but no tomatoes.

ACW

Just parsely and a few asparagus spears,watching my broad beans(fava) pull in the bees and the pods filling out .
Strawberrys look to be a few weeks away,
My app set ,( apple,pear and plum) have all bllomed and fruits settting ,

applestar
Mod

@rainbowgardener, SQWIB has been growing Winter Indoor Tomatoes in a converted space in his garage — something I have been *failing* at for the last couple of years ... I am SO envious!

He initially had BER issues back in February, but look at him now Image

Here’s the link to a post his thread :
Subject: Indoor Garden 2018-2019 Revisited
SQWIB wrote:February 20th, 2019

Yay, my first Indoor Red Tomato!!! or is it?

applestar
Mod

@ACW — broad beans! I wanted to grow them again this year, but didn’t manage to get seeds in time. I sowed them too late the last time, although I had been successful the time before that. Do you sow them around same time as regular garden peas?

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Apple is correct I am growing them Indoors.

This was my first harvest.

This is a month ago.

Last month

a few weeks ago

Earlier this week.

I think I am going to pull the plug on the indoor garden once I see tomatoes on the outside plants.

I also cloned some of the indoor plants and they have tomatoes on them outside, not sure if they will make it though. I also tried moving one plant from the indoor garden to the outdoor garden and busted it all to hell, so I cut everything off and I'm curious to see what happens.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Finished up my Leeks that wintered over for some Leek Potato soup. Got 2.25 pounds of leeks so I had a hefty pot of soup for Easter Dinner.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Nothing outside - just a lot of herbs indoors. Lettuce and bok choy pretty much gone, but the mizuna is still going crazy - that stuff is a weed!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Gorgeous tomatoes!

ACW

applestar wrote:@ACW — broad beans! I wanted to grow them again this year, but didn’t manage to get seeds in time. I sowed them too late the last time, although I had been successful the time before that. Do you sow them around same time as regular garden peas?
Mine were sown in late October ,they came up nicely to about 8 inches high then stopped growing until mid febuary when they started up again,now 2foot+ tall and until last week were a bee magnet ,I quess all the flowers have been polinated .
How you would deal with them could be way different to me ,living a few miles from the center of London I do have a generally mild winter ,maybe a weeks worth of snow and no more than 20 frosts ( on average).
I guess give them a go next autumn,or even sow them next spring say the end of febuary ,they are supposed to be very hardy .
My seeds came from franchi /seeds of italy,who are my favoured supplier and are the aquadulce type.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Asparagus!

Bend it
Snap it
Eat it

Yum.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Tons of strawberries. Peas. Fall planted leeks. Garlic. Swiss chard. Kale will be big enough to take leaves from pretty soon. Elderberry is blooming , despite the fact that one of our dogs, who loves to carry sticks around, decided the elderberry was a great source of sticks and chewed off almost all of the stems a little above ground level. I finally put a fence around it just in time to save the last couple stems. I was afraid she might have killed it, but it has thrived and put out tons of new stems.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I've already picked about 5 lbs. of green beans in 3 pickings so far from my 25 ft. row of bush beans and they are covered in smaller ones and tons of flowers. The only other thing that can be picked for eating is the holdover Swiss Chard that I planted in the fall.

I do have green onions and parsley, along with several other herbs available, but those are just things that I add to meals when cooking. I figure it will be at least 3 more weeks before I get some cucumbers, but when they do come in, they will be plentiful. Same for the Japanese Yard Long beans that are now vining up to the top of my 6 ft. tall trellis.

I also have a lot of very small bell peppers, eggplant and hot peppers forming along with many tomatoes in the Roma and larger slicing type that are doing well, but still very green.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I harvested 130 garlic I planted in November 2018 we made stir fry for dinner with lots of fresh garlic including the green tops diced. I think all the green tops made stir fly extra good. I think it is best to only harvest & eat what a person needs leave the rest to grow and stay green to eat later.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Ummmm.......
Gary350 wrote:I harvested 130 garlic ..... I think it is best to only harvest & eat what a person needs leave the rest to grow and stay green to eat later.
You think it is best to harvest only what you can eat fresh and you harvested 130 garlic plants. Does that really mean you ate 130 heads of garlic?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Bok Choy and Broccoli Raab.

The first 2019 veggies from seed.

However, cheating ... since the greens are from the hoop house over 2 backyard beds. Double cheat ... I even put some heat in there on the colder mornings :wink: .

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Ummmm.......
Gary350 wrote:I harvested 130 garlic ..... I think it is best to only harvest & eat what a person needs leave the rest to grow and stay green to eat later.
You think it is best to harvest only what you can eat fresh and you harvested 130 garlic plants. Does that really mean you ate 130 heads of garlic?
It means I pulled up a lot of garlic that could have stayed a while longer. Soil is wet with all this rain garlic was easy to pull so I did.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

And garlic is not good left in soaked soil - it removes most of the layers of "paper skins" from the garlic, which helps the garlic store longer.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Harvested a whole big bowl of green beans and pulled about 15 garlic plants. The garlic was huge, like 3" diameter heads.

Still picking some strawberries, though the main flush of them is done.

The first cherry tomatoes are ripe and the bigger tomatoes are ripening up. The broccoli has heads and some will be picked soon and the corn has tassels...

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Orach along with a continuing harvest of Bok Choy and Broccoli Raab. There's also some Mustard greens.
digitS' wrote:... However, cheating ... since the greens are from the hoop house over 2 backyard beds. ... :wink: ...
Yep. Still cheating :). The only thing harvested out from under protective growing was some Walking Onions and Chives for scrambled eggs.

Usually, I would have Orach as volunteers but a different garden location meant that I decided to start seed in the hoop house. For variety, edible Amaranth will be along soon.

Steve

applestar
Mod

Mainly Strawberries, peas, lettuce, kale, baby/thinned carrots ...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Mainly Strawberries, peas, lettuce, kale, baby/thinned carrots ...
My strawberries are mostly done, peas and lettuce are done. Eating kale and chard and baby/thinned corn. Eating garlic and onions. Eating cherry tomatoes, very soon will be eating full sized tomatoes and after that corn....

I need to get busy re-planting where things have been pulled!!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

My yard longs are going insane and I'm picking on average 25+ two foot long beans a day.

I just came in after picking what needed to be removed and I got 43 yard long beans, 5 cucumbers, 3 yellow squash, 4 tomatoes and about 30 pods of okra off plants that are not even 3 ft. tall yet. Yesterday I removed all the parsley I had since the heat is getting to the point it will kill it off almost overnight. I'll dry it and put it up in my spice cabinet.

I've also been using mint for tea and a good bit of bay leaves in the dishes I cook. My sister-in-law gave me a small bay leaf tree a couple years ago that I up-potted and it's growing like mad now.

In another month or so I'll be picking figs. This past fall I had to cut all the major branches and the main trunks almost down to the ground due to some sort of disease that was killing the tree. I just left it alone after that and 3 branches of fresh growth started coming in and now it is over 7 ft. tall with very healthy looking bark, beautiful foliage and tons of small figs, so maybe the new growth will do well for a few years. I know for sure that fig tree is well over 30 years old since I've been here 27 years and it was a mature tree when I bought the house.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Hello all! The only thing I've eaten from my 2019 garden is some Tiny Tim tomatoes. My other tomatoes are being slowpokes. :?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Only herbs and greens, so far, but a bunch of tomatoes forming out there!

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Oops, I forgot to mention I did use two sweet banana peppers. One went in mac and cheese, the other in a pasta salad. It was great! :-()

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

What kind of tomatoes are you growing, pepperhead? :D

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I have 18 varieties I'll have to make a thread for my garden and post there. The one that was the earliest last year, looks like it may be this year, too - Sunset Falls. It is a small - 2"x1" - determinate tomato, with red and orange stripes, with incredible flavor, which is why I had to grow it again. I don't often grow determinates, and this was a true determinate, producing a large number of tomatoes, then fizzling out, and I finally pulled it. This time, I planted two more, one three weeks later, and the other another 3 weeks later, and I have one bucket SIP left for the final plant, so I'll have 4 (hopefully). 4 days ago there were 1" tomatoes on the oldest, and today more clusters of flowers. Sunsugar is usually my first ripe tomato, and it does have 1/2" tomatoes, but we'll see which turns first.

ACW

mini stawberries ,and the penultimate harvest of broad beans ,
My tomatoes and peppers are still babys will be at least a month before I get a few tomatoes and longer I quess on peppers ,I have not done peppers for a long time .
raspberries and black currants looking good in a couple of weeks ,same with the first sowing of beetroot.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Wow! 18 varieties??!! Awesome! I've never heard of those kinds, are they hybrids?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

6-3-19 harvest.jpg
In the bowl are green beans (and there's a bunch more in the fridge from previous picking), chard, a couple baby carrots from thinning, ripe tomatoes (cherry, saladette, and full sized), broccoli, a couple potatoes, a couple Anaheim (mild) chili peppers, and next to the bowl an onion. A couple days ago I pulled a bunch of huge heads of garlic. Time to go cook!

So I chopped all that up and made a great stir fry with basil and oregano from the garden. Only thing in the pot that didn't come from the garden was a bit of salt and pepper!! The potatoes are another thing like tomatoes -- they are SO much better than store bought. Potatoes are actually supposed to have flavor!!

applestar
Mod

Looking good @rainbowgardener :D And that’s a nice onion, too. Did you grow from plants or seeds? What variety?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Looking good @rainbowgardener :D And that’s a nice onion, too. Did you grow from plants or seeds? What variety?
From seed planted in the fall. It is Candy onion. It's a day-neutral variety that works pretty well for me here in middle America.

There's a bunch more of them out there that I probably need to go ahead and pull, since they are flowering.

I planted more of the same seed this spring, see how it does.

Moving from zone 6a to 7b made a big difference! I used to work really hard to get a ripe tomato before the end of June. Now I had them at the end of May...

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful! Isn't it great to go grocery shopping in your backyard?! :-()

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”