Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Do you use spreadsheets, a database - or notebooks?

I have several spreadsheets of gardening data as well as poorly organized notes in both computer files and old looseleaf binders. The idea of pulling everything together in a database appeals to me. But I've been reading a little about that and the learning curve - learning hill, cliff! - it looks daunting. The rebellious simplicity of plain old paper & pencil is still attractive but organizing records so that they are easily found & accessed isn't easy. A good memory is really required :( and there's the bulk of all that paper to be stored.

I suppose I've got the worst/best of both worlds at present: A set of huge spreadsheets cluttering my old slow computer plus bits of un-catalogued 'hard copy' in scattered folders or tucked between the pages of vintage gardening books.

What does everyone else do?

webmaster
Site Admin

I'm meticulous about creating folders to categorize things so that they're easily findable by clicking through the various categories I create.

In windows, you can search whatever folder you're in. I suspect Apple should do that to.

I have many disparate interests and each one gets it's own "library" with categories and subcategories.

applestar
Mod

You might have seen this thread where I’ve described my methods in detail with links to examples that have been posted in the past: Subject: GARDENING JOURNAL - what, how, when ?

I’ve thought about setting up relational databases as well as improving my spreadsheet mastery techniques, lamented some of the deficiencies in the iOS Numbers app (vs. full blown desktop Excel capabilities ...have not tried using desktop Numbers, but that has some features not available on the iOS app as well) — particularly redundancies forced by lack of versatile linking and referencing ... especially when my ideas and plans verge on the 4th (and maybe 5th) dimensional.

But so far, I’m sticking with Numbers app as the main tool since most of my problems can be overcome by simply copying and pasting and extra mental exercises on my part. For me, the multi-device access to the same file — from iPad and iPhone — and collaboration capability which basically enables reading and updating from anywhere has been invaluable.

I tried looking at/into some thought-mapping and mind-mapping apps, but their functions/features were either not what I was looking for, or I couldn’t figure them out, or they were too complicated and were server-based/required subscription, which I thought was over-kill.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

While I spend a lot of time at the computer, it is a desktop. My garden journal is an old school spiral bound notebook...now several notebooks. I keep it out in the garage during the growing season and it gets written in at least daily. The notebook is in the basement seed starting area from February until May to note germination and growth. During the winter months the notebooks are close by the computer desk for reference. I have yet to transfer information to the computer, something I have thought about but never gotten around to...yet.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I keep the info on legal size notepads - easier to change and change again, which happens constantly! I have not found any types of spreadsheets that are as fast to put together, as my garden is very irregular - while I have 6 or 7 long rows, part of one might be doubled, part might have SIPs, the SIPs have 2 or 4 in them, etc. Then, when I want to plant outside, I take the notepads out there. I keep lists of all of the seeds on the computer, but mapping it out is done by hand.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I use Word and Excel quite a lot at work. It would not be hard to learn to use these programs. They are very user friendly. You wouldn't need to go very deep for what you are thinking about doing.
Myself, I like to organize recipes, gardening notes project notes, how-to articles, etc in a not so computerish kind of way. I found some neat plastic pocket folders that do the job just fine. I laminate the really good stuff. I keep it all in a small plastic file box in my closet. I was sometimes tempted to organize all this kind of stuff by way of computer scans and spreadsheets, but the amount of work and maintenance seemed daunting, so I never did. Instead, I sorted through it all and organized it the old fashioned way. Some people think that everything should be computerized, but I don't agree.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

For keeping notes as I go around the garden I have a small pocket recorder. I find it more convenient & practical than paper record keeping, especially in the rain or on the grubby greenhouse bench. The notes get transcribed later onto paper or desk/laptop computer files. I have no mobile phone.

I have several large & complex Excel-type spreadsheets for different aspects of gardening; records of sowing & harvests; seeds in hand, their ages and which need replenished, etcetera. (actually these are libreoffice calc sheets; I use a linux mint OS.) Additionally there are files & paper versions of general notes about fertilizers, plant light/heat preferences, fertilizer needs & composition - on & on & on, collected over the years.

The main things I like about digital records are the fact that they take up virtually no space, and the ease with which they can be searched, sorted, organized & re-organized. But I have too many spreadsheets and too much scattered duplicate information; so I have the notion to build a database incorporating as much as I can of all my records & notes. Much of the information could be transferred, even copied directly from my spreadsheets but it would be in more compact form (no duplication) and all accessible from this one place.

This is all very well but the task of learning database construction and putting it to effective, error-free use seems daunting. However I've found a series of excellent tutorials (60 of them!) online about libreoffice databases and have started to work my way through them. It's going to be slow and maybe never finished but it's interesting and I'm enjoying it so far. If anyone wants the URL, or better still would like to help me or join me in exploring the subject please send a PM.

I find that most recipes are very long winded and can usually be condensed to fit on a 3x5" file card (sometimes takes both sides.) I have an old file card box that holds nearly all my recipes; but my wife prefers fullsize loose-leaf folders so we have his-&-hers recipes, with lots of duplication. That's OK because her ideas and mine of a rational way to sort & index things are radically different. If we tried to combine them we'd likely end up with the worst of both worlds. But mine can be held on the front of the range hood under a button magnet :).

imafan26
Mod

I also go old school. I do have a spiral notebook that I have kept to record planting dates, varieties and results over the years. I have to admit I am not a good note taker. I have the book by the back door, but I don't always take it out or remember where I put my pen.

I do a little better with the orchids since I learned long ago to record important things like date of purchase, bloom dates, repot and divisions on the back of the tag. I still have to remember to keep a pencil handy so I try to keep a few pencils in the lanai.

I don't do a lot of trials of new things and my garden is small. When something does well and is something I like to eat, I don't stray to far toward other options. Since, I have those planting times sort a wired, I don't really need to keep looking at the record for that. The plants I grow for sale do have tags with planting dates, but I don't keep stats like germination rates, transplant and yield data for that.

Although I have a long growing season, the heat, humidity, rainy season, diseases, and pests does not make it easy to grow temperate plants. I have to select varieties for their ability to survive in this environment and often that leaves some selections off the list.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Keeping notes is a very good idea, do what works for you.

Years ago I used a spiral bound notebook. These days I make quick notes on paper an take pictures.

Go to the, Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos, section of this forum, every day that you do something in your garden take pictures, type it on the forum & up load photos. Then you can look at everything you did and see pictures too.

Each pictures is worth a 1000 words.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Gary, I agree pictures are very useful, and I don't take enough of them. Mine are filed on computer. If my database becomes a reality photos will be part of it.

By the way I think you deserve some kind of medal for gardening in what often looks like a water park. Keep up the good work.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Spreadsheet and helpful gardener! I post pictures of the gardens here. So I can go back and look at my 2018 garden thread and see how things were doing and what was where.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”