applestar
Mod

1/20-21/19 TOTAL ECLIPSE = SUPER BLOOD WOLF MOON

We are going to try to keep our eyes on the event. So far the gusting winds are keeping the sky clear enough that we were able to view the SUPER and WOLF moon. But it’s supposed to get cloudier later here, so we will have to keep our fingers crossed.

Here’s the breakdown of the eclipse — EST. You want to start watching before the total eclipse begins because it’s harder to spot the moon especially if view is obstructed.

The major stages of the total lunar eclipse of Jan. 20-21, 2019
are shown in this Sky & Telescope graphic. Times are listed in EST.
Credit: Sky & Telescope

January Full Moon 2019: Full Wolf Moon Meets a Total Lunar Eclipse
https://www.space.com/35281-january-full-moon.html

applestar
Mod

Currently 20°F gusting to 32mph and feels like/wind chill of 5° F … by 11pm predicted wind chill is -3° F, so even if the moon is visible, we will probably peek from the windows and not go outside....

applestar
Mod

We watched it start chipping... the moon is nearly directly overhead — impossible to look up directly out of the window, so we are using a large hand mirror. :D

applestar
Mod

…aaand it’s in total eclipse. I was looking at the mirror image through my birdwatching binoculars. I am ALWAYS intrigued that during the totality, moon looks 3D like a ball in the sky.

I’m REALLY tempted to go outside for direct view but I have this cough — it’s Probably best to stay inside. Dd1 is jaded — Both DDs have seen every visible lunar as well as solar eclipse since they were old enough to look where I pointed.

applestar
Mod

I did bundle up and go outside at 12:12am. At mid-totality, the Moon was indeed DIRECTLY overhead and could no longer be seen from the window.... Ski pants, double-layered parka jacket, fleece hood/neck gaiter, thick cashmere gloves, faux-fur lined boots lasted me for about 5 minutes.... AND The HUGE exercise ball moon was hanging directly overhead.

Outside, I was also able to see all the stars surrounding/beyond the moon that are normally washed out by the brightness of the moon. The wonder of it all never gets old for me.

webmaster
Site Admin

I watched from my window! :)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

17 degrees, feels like 7 degrees, a bit windy, we watched the moon in our pajamas laying in bed under nice warm blankets with the window blinds open. Moon is white color and bright, it lights up the bedroom and back yard fairly bright. Moon looks big, tape measure shows it is 1" diameter. :)
Last edited by Gary350 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

At total eclipse, the moon looked like a tennis ball, hit into the air.

There was a great deal of haze, after a day of light rain and then a drop to freezing temperatures. Something that surprised me was how some of the stars began to come out. Many of the clouds of moisture seemed to disappear since the moonlight was no longer shining down on them. The brighter stars of Orion began to appear during the final 15 minutes, or so.

At first, I wasn't sure if I was imagining that starlight was coming through the haze here and there.

Steve

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”