told2b

Mullein question

Does anyone know why Verbascum nigrum is
called Black mullein or Dark mullein?

What part of the plant is black?

told2b

I found it.
The species name nigrum is derived from the Latin for black, which refers to the color of the roots.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

You are probably right. But here is what I came up with. I already have it typed up so I might as well submit it.
I don't know for sure what the answer is but here is my guess. I think that the name must be in comparison to Common Mullein, which it resembles, but the flowers are darker with bluish purple eyes. The medical definition for nigrum refers to the coloring of the choroid of the eye. So it could have to do with the dark eyes of the flower. And the leaves are different and darker. I don't think that nigrum means black in this case.

told2b

Verbascum-Nigrum.jpg
Thank you HoneyBerry

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Veratrum Nigrum is similarly named and has a tall flower. For this plant, the 'nigrum' part of the name has to do with the black color of the plant rhizomes.

Here is precisely the wording for Veratrum Nigrum:
"Specific epithet comes from Latin meaning black in reference to the color of the plant rhizomes."

So Mullein must be similar in this way. Looks like my original guess must be incorrect. Once again, I do not know for sure. I think you are correct, what you said about the root.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”