Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Nats vs Gnats vs Gee Nats

High school English teacher said, Gnats is old English that was never corrected.

I refuse to type G on Nats. Why does everyone else continue to put a G on Nats.

You will never see me spell nats with a G. I love to pronounce it Gee Nats. LOL. :D

applestar
Mod

Ooh interesting — had to look up other words :()

Words that start with Gn | Words starting with Gn
https://www.wordfind.com/starts-with/gn/

…words that start with Gn
Gnocchi
Gnostic
Gnarly
Gnash
Gnats
Gnome
Gnaw
Gnus
GNU

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Well

first come, first served ... but, if you are standing in a queue ..

. the ueue is silent.

:wink: Steve

applestar
Mod

Well, digitS, my DD insists on pronouncing that word “kw-ee” — she says queue is too long to be just Q ...or “kew” :lol:

KeyWee

So then how do you feel about "herb"? It is said that dropping the "h" is an old lower-class English pronunciation, so do you say "Herb" or go with "erb"?

And don't get me started on "forte" which when used musically (to mean "loud") is pronounced "for-tay". But if you are French, and using it to mean your area of expertise, it is pronounced "fort". Consequently, I avoid using this word like the plague so as not to confirm any type of moron status.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Well

no man is an ..

. I land.

Steve

applestar
Mod

“Aisle” agree with that! :>

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Why do we park in a driveway and drive on a parkway.
Something's we will never know.
I call them Ginats. lol..
And Herb is a singer my wife calls them "Peaches and Erb"
That's a gray, grey area.
Sorry couldn't resist.

applestar
Mod

SQWIB wrote:Why do we park in a driveway and drive on a parkway.
:lol: :clap:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I use English Standard. Just sayin ...

And, I print it. We don't need to be able to read Thomas Jefferson's cursive. Give me a brake!

Onestly

digitS'

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

KeyWee wrote:So then how do you feel about "herb"? It is said that dropping the "h" is an old lower-class English pronunciation, so do you say "Herb" or go with "erb"?

And don't get me started on "forte" which when used musically (to mean "loud") is pronounced "for-tay". But if you are French, and using it to mean your area of expertise, it is pronounced "fort". Consequently, I avoid using this word like the plague so as not to confirm any type of moron status.
I don't mind being known as a moron, I take moron lessons, I'm getting better at it. At my age I don't have to impress anyone anymore. I pronounce all those old English words exactly like they are spelled on purpose even in public it drives my wife crazy. Door nob with a K, and nife with a K, 1 of my favorite words is, is al = isle or French ile. The English language is made up of several foreign words, spelled & pronounced the same with the same meaning. Halt is German for stop. French words, Chauffeur, Brunette, Depot, more. Cookie is dutch. Safari is Arabic. Cigar is Spanish. Cartoon is Italian. It is interesting Herb is correct to pronounce both ways, Herb or Erb but always spelled Herb now days, some 70 yr old books spell it erb. When ordering water at a restaurant most people these days have no clue what H2O is.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KeyWee

Exactly, Gary ~ as Russian Red (in Orange is the New Black) so plainly stated "as you get older, you don't have to give so many f's", so appearing to be a moron is entirely acceptable. Public mispronunciation is hilarious ~ wish we could hear you do it!
English is a wonderful, silly, and interesting language ~ I love it. And now that we're forced to accept any mutilation (whether it be spelling, pronunciation, slang or acronym) we are fortunate to be understood at all.
Communication, people!!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

My hearing wasn't good even as a young child. I began using hearing aids 35 years ago, in December. Of course, I was told that I should have been using them 10 years prior. They didn't stop the hearing loss and just a few years later, I was told that I had crossed the "severe" loss threshold. Like many people, my hearing loss has much to do with an inability to hear consonants well. Imagine what English sentences sound like! Unable to clearly hear myself speak, I'm lucky if I can remember how to pronounce words I've always used :wink:.

How about a completely logical English language, written and spoken? No extra syllables, each word with a single meaning. No homophones! Whole/hole, way/weigh, stairs/stares, two/too ... Oh deer!!

Without using extra syllables, could Shakespeare have written in iambic pentameter? Without homophones, we wouldn't have puns! Our language would have a steak thru it's heart instead of being a medium, (well) done ... ;)

If words have only one meaning then everything new would require an ENTIRE set of new words. Think of that!

I'll use the words of a linguist giving an example: "Instead of clicking on an icon to open a computer file, you might have to 'kilk on a zinwang to nepo a wordcomp dak.'" There would be a need to learn even more and more words to communicate with each new generation?

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It is so funny to screw with the language police. Some people can not stand it if you says 1 word that is not right. LOL. I once went to a job interview every time I said Aint the interviewer jumped like he had just received an electrical shock from an electric fence. The 6th time I said aint the guy jumped straight up from his chair and yelled, AINT IS NOT A WORD. Few minutes later I said, burned. The guy jumped straight up again and yelled, BURNED IS NOT A WORD. That is when I told the guy, I must be at the wrong job interview I did not know I was applying for a job to be an English Teacher. LOL. I did not get the job. LOL. One thing I love to say to other people is, Is that more better or less worser. LOL. The other day I had lunch at Windy's the woman at the cash register ask me if I wanted to, BIGGY SIZE my order. I told her to SMALLY SIZE it. The woman tried her best not to laugh but she totally lost it anyway. LOL.
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Here are a few off the top of my head, I'll have to post more when my little brain remembers them

Albaturkey
Mulsh
Obstacle Illusion
Urine Ologist
Ty yenol
Diarear (I cringe every time my mom says this)
Lipnodes

My favorite statement I have ever heard growing up
Tommy - “I don't like those Bamboos at great adventure jumping all over the car”
Timmy - “no, they're not called bamboos you idiot they're bamboons”!!

Our family jokes so much about how the English language is butchered (mostly by my mom) that these words have become commonplace in our families daily vocabulary and it's a riot to see the looks we get.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”