trixie
Newly Registered

gardens and lighting

I built a small greenhouse in my yard and I'm looking for some lights that might help my flowers grow greener. Anyone have any suggestions?? I'm just starting to grow my green thumb :)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, I mean really you don't need any light but, if you go to your local nursery or garden center, I'm sure they will be able to hook you up with some grow lights.

For greener plants, I would personally spend more time working on the soil in your greenhouse than on the lighting. Lots of threads in the organic area on how to improve your soil. Check them out.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Full spectrum grow lights are great for winter months, but not much needed now...

SquashNUt

It depends on the type of green house, the area you are in and when you are growing the plants. My green house is closed on 3 sides with glass only on the front. It also has a solid roof. We did this beacause we planned to use it in the winter and wanted to heat it. We figured we could add light easier than trying to heat it.
I use 40 watt 4 ft shop lights to raise veggie seedlings. They are set up in the back of the green house over shelves.
I also have a 400 and a 1000 watt HID light that I use to help my tomatoes keep producing in the fall.
With the 400 and 1000 watt light I do not have to add any heat till evening when the lights go out.
The shop lights do not provide much heat, But are fine for growing annuals and veggie starts. Under my 8 shop lights I can grow about 50 flats of veggies and flowers a year. That is if I move the cool weather veggies out to a cold frame as I start my warm weather veggies and flowers.

trixie
Newly Registered

Thanks for all the advice! I have a bit of time before I need to worry about the lighting, but I want to get everything set... Someone who works at the nursery I go to recommended a full spectrum bulb called ozonelite. Have you heard of it before??

SquashNUt

no I haven't hears of ozonelite. But You can get grow lite tubes at any Hardware store. I don't do much flowers so I just use shop lights. My marigolds still have flowers before I put them out in the spring with just shop lights.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Any fluorescent bulb will do most of the job, but certain wavelengths go missing and it can make certain plants less vigorous. If you aren't worried about show quality plants and are just doing starts, Squashnut is right; those plain old bulbs will work and are SCADS cheaper...

HG

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”