veal1
Newly Registered

can I propagate flowers from a bouquet?

Hi Folks,
I just rec'd a beautiful bouquet with some great flowers in it and wondered if I could propagate them somehow. Either in potting soil or put each stem/flower in water till and if roots form. What's your opinion?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Ummm...not knowing what plant we're discussing, good luck with that. Let me know if you've ANY luck at all...

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

It's really quite simple. Just take a cutting from one of the flowers and either dip it in rooting horemone or not and then place the cutting in soil and keep it well watered.
You want to keep the container that you put the cutting in as sterile as possible. I recommend washing it out with vinegar instead of soap because soap will leave a residue.

Good LUCK!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

My hesitancy here is several fold. One, lots of cuts are raised out of the States (Chile, Guatemala, etc.) and have been traveling for days or even weeks cut, so not the best starts to begin with. Also if there are any viruses or other diseases in the plants from elsewhere, you could actually perpetuate it here. Hence my hesitation...

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Good advice.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”