CkHoShaw
Newly Registered

Birds Nest Fern Wilting

Hi guys,

I’ve had a Bird’s best fern for a little over a month. When I initially received the plant it looked healthy and alive. However, after a week on vacation we returned to leaves wilting and slowly dropping.

I’ve looked up various things to do from putting the plant into the bathroom for more humidity to keeping the soil most. It gets some sum but never direct since the window faves the side of another building.

Not sure if this is normal but at a loss as to what else I can do to revive the plant! Attached a picture of the plant in its current condition for reference. Note that it is still very green, the leaves are just drooping and not standing up.
Attachments
BDADD640-0D41-4406-8A13-3EE71A7A4237.jpeg

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I don't have this particular type fern, but the ones I do have are in hanging baskets on my porches and I have a HUGE one in a large pot on my patio and they require a lot of water. I water them daily and when our summer weather gets to normal temperatures (90+F), I'll be watering them at least twice a day-----especially the ones in hanging baskets.

While away for a week, was anyone tending to your plants?

CkHoShaw
Newly Registered

gumbo2176 wrote:I don't have this particular type fern, but the ones I do have are in hanging baskets on my porches and I have a HUGE one in a large pot on my patio and they require a lot of water. I water them daily and when our summer weather gets to normal temperatures (90+F), I'll be watering them at least twice a day-----especially the ones in hanging baskets.

While away for a week, was anyone tending to your plants?
A roommate was helping with occasional watering. However it was initially in a miss kokedama ball. When we returned from vacation and saw it’s condition, we decided to repot it in a plant. It was definitely dried out a bit and I’ve been consistently watering it more. Will giving it some more water to see if that helps but was scared of over watering

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I like to water plants on the mend by putting an inch or so of water in a pan, then placing the plant in the pan of water to allow the soil to pick up the water from underneath. I'll let the plant sit in the pan of water for several minutes and remove it, let it drain any excess water and put it back in its place.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It will also really benefit from misting the fronds (but not the center) a few times a week.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”