applestar
Mod

Re: what are you eating from your garden today 2018

I made hot pepper jelly using most of these green and blushing peppers and a selection of dead-ripe red ones harvested earlier. The ones that were starting to blush ripened some more over the past week... mostly ripe ones have turned completely red.

- I used the Jalapeño pepper jelly recipe from the Complete Ball book, but because I mixed all these different varieties of hot and sweet peppers (Korean, Syrian, Japanese, NuMex, Brazilian, and Italian peppers ...there were green Peppadew in there, too where’s that from? Africa?) in varying colors, it developed a fantastic, complex flavor. I also had to tweak the sugars since I didn’t have granulated sugar — I used a blend of organic cane sugar, organic date palm sugar, raspberry orchard honey, and home-made bourbon vanilla sugar... and added a teaspoon of sea salt.

- I might take a photo or two of the hot water bathed jars for this post later — maybe tomorrow when the lighting is better.

...Although I believe they mellow and taste better after a month or so, I couldn’t get organized to preserve all of the batch, so about 1-1/2 cups went into the refrigerator, and of course I had to try some right away.

I just bought some chewy crust Italian and Semolina breads, so I tried two slices each with cream cheese and with butter. I have to say the jelly was already ridiculously good — I wanted it to be relatively mild and easy to eat ... and I found out the cream cheese slices obscured what heat there was, while the buttered slices enhanced it. Looking forward to sampling the fridge jelly over the next few weeks, and I will have four 8-oz jars in the pantry for later. :wink:

imafan26
Mod

You can dry the red ones too and then grind them to a powder. It needs to be kept in the freezer since the pepper oils will get rancid. Drying peppers intensifies the heat.

MariaDigsGardening

We're after the last frost date, so focused on our winter storage. Yesterday was chicken soup with leeks, garlic, carrots, and potatoes (and chicken/broth from a local gardener). Dinner today included mashed potatoes. I'm already thinking about how to improve my garden for next year so that I have more food put up.

applestar
Mod

Yesterday, I made an egg salad with finely minced stems from the nasturtium leaves I harvested, plus finely minced sprig including flowers and flower buds. I also diced and added two cherry tomatoes that had managed to ripen before the plants dried up. Nasturtiums with the watercress flavor and the crunch of the stems REALLY added a lovely twist, and the egg salad only needed a little sea salt and freshly ground black pepper in addition to the mayo (I think I’ve mentioned the brand I’m currently using somewhere?)

...I also made a 2 cup decoction from some Turkey Tail mushrooms that took over my Shiitake logs — cut in thin slices, put in cold water, covered and simmered for 20 minutes after coming to boil. I drank this in three doses (with a sprinkle of sea salt — I don’t know why some people sweeten mushroom tea :| ) waiting to see if there was any undue reaction after each (does feeling somewhat hot count?) I also drank a dose each of my elderberry syrup and blackberry syrup. FWIW, I’m not overly congested to the point of choking upon waking this morning like I have been for the last three or four days.

— I’ll let you know if I survive — :wink:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Kale, cabbage, mustard greens, green onions ... some pea tendrils :).

Yes, the tractor guy failed in his (apparently) scheduled appearance and we made another foraging run through the big veggie garden. There was rain when it was said that he would be there.

Very, very little growing has occurred over the last month - if any. It's a little like, "oh, we missed these!" "Do you suppose these buds off the cut cabbage stem amount to enough to bother with?"

This morning, it's 20ºf.

Steve

applestar
Mod

Those last minute season leftover foraging can be fun, too. I was talking to my pole beans yesterday — “what are you doing growing these extra bean pods?” :lol: ...as well as snacking on unexpeced treats — alpine strawberries, a red raspberry, and some yellow raspberries. Not enough to take inside and call them a “harvest” but totally satisfying. :wink:

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Still harvesting Brussells Sprouts, Rutabaga, Carrots, Kale, leaves of coles that didn't head. Some may overwinter.

Leeks are all used. Many onions didn't properly bulb; I should probably lift them before they rot but I guess they won't store. Chop & freeze?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Incidentally this is the 2018 thread. There is a 2019 one here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=75691&p=427632#p427632

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

This years garden is fading fast. I got to planting at least a month behind due to all the rain we had earlier this year and now the heat is doing its thing to the plants. My bush beans have died out and pulled 2 weeks ago, my yard longs are fading by the day and that means less and less daily harvest and I suspect by next week they'll be pretty much dried out.

Cucumbers are showing signs of heat causing wear and tear also. Okra is thriving, as are the hot pepper plants and eggplants. Surprisingly, my squash have given me a dozen or so and so far are showing no signs of the dreaded SVB's, but I knock wood saying that. Also, my soybeans I use for edamame are doing very well and should be ready to remove next week.

I guess I'll just let what doing well keep going and get things ready for my fall planting, even though it's a bit early to think about that just now. I'm already looking forward to fall and the passing of this miserable hot weather......

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Incidentally this is the 2018 thread. There is a 2019 one here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=75691&p=427632#p427632
I was wondering who would be eating from last year's garden, though I admit, I use dried peppers from there all the time, and I still have 6 butternuts that I have to use!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”