rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"engineering" problem for handy people.

So what we would like to do is attach a metal gate to wooden fence posts:

right now it is not attached at all.

I'm having trouble figuring out what kind of hinge will work. It needs to be something that would screw into the wooden fence post, but then be able to wrap around the metal tubes of the gate.

It didn't seem like such a weird thing to me, surely other people must have done it, but I'm having trouble finding anything that will work.

Ideas, brain team?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

From the looks of the metal gate, the uprights are not all that big around and a typical metal gate hinge that uses a compression type clamp to secure it around the tubing will not fit it tight enough to work.

Have you though about having one side of a hinge welded to the metal gate and the other secured to the wood posts with heavy duty wood screws.

Hillbilly Homer

thanrose
Greener Thumb

The wire gauge may be too small as gumbo says. My first inclination is to suggest two upright metal conduits sunk into the ground. The gate panel fastens to the conduit (even some sort of hose clamp should work) and the other end swings free to open and close via hook on the other piece of conduit.

Another possibility is to fasten a wooden lath framework to the wire gate, the full rectangle. Hinges and latch would then be attached to that.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I think Hillbilly Homer is on the right track, if the round metal of the perimeter of the gate is big enough for the fixture he posted to be tightly secured. If you scroll down the page there is a flat bit of metal with a post that can be secured to the wood post and the 5/8" hole in the hinge simply slides over the post. It is the first picture on the left when you scroll down to additional gate hardware. You have to make sure the pin matches the diameter of the hole in the part that attaches to the gate and they both say 5/8" in diameter.

Looking at the distance between the posts and the size of the gates, you may have to attach more wood to the wooden posts to make it work so when the gate closes it will meet nicely in the middle and not have a huge gap.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”