Gary350
Super Green Thumb

6 jars in the pantry

I found 6 jars of Chow Chow in the pantry. I can't remember when we made these, I think it was summer before last it seemed like a good idea at the time. We don't know what to eat this with it tastes like sweet Sauerkraut. It is not good on Rubin Sandwiches or in potato salad or in bean salad and not good on hot dogs either. I would give it away for Christmas gifts but I don't want to give away my good mason jars.
Attachments
chowchow.jpg
chowchow.jpg (12.38 KiB) Viewed 9632 times

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

The chow chow that I have made was similar to some of the chutneys that I have made. So if you make any Indian foods, it may be a good idea to try it with those, as a side dish.

applestar
Mod

Is this made with cabbages? Hmm... I made Grandma’s Golden Relish from cucumbers and peppers, and this one is good as sort of barbecue sauce substitute — on Pork chops and ribs, and with lamb. So maybe think along those lines?

Also maybe try it with cream cheese and crackers, or make crockpot meatballs — I would go with ground pork or chicken or maybe turkey based meatballs if it’s made with cabbages.

GGR is also good with curry, etc. so I think pepperheads’ suggestion is worth a try, too.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

That's why I use a permanent marker to put the date on the lids of everything I can. That way I know when it was made. As for giving it away as a gift, I do it all the time with my pepper jellies, bread and butter pickles, pickled okra and green beans and my super hot sauce I make.

Quart mason jars cost me about $1 each and pint jars are about $.80 each, so that is not going to stop me from giving stuff out to friends when the urge hits. As for lids and seals, I use the screw on lids until they show rust before tossing them and I always use fresh seals when canning.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Chow Chow is made with, green tomatoes, cabbage, onion, sugar, vinegar, red bell peppers, pickling spices, crushed red pepper. People eat it with dinner same as eating Cranberry sauce with Thanksgiving dinner. I never Acquired a taste for it.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”