brian

Need Advice on Good Sites for Research

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some good sites to research various plant types because some of the advice I get goes over my head as a rookie gardener, especially when we are talking in species names. I am interested in learning and would greatly appreciate a nudge in the right direction. Thanks, Brian. :D

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

For a species name, you can go here to cut and paste the scientific name into the search engine and generally you'll get a hit-
https://plants.usda.gov/

A common name for the plant will show up but please know most plants have many common names so if you don't recognize the common name, put the scientific name into a google search engine and see what comes up.

Here's an example of what I mean using Centaurea cyanus-
https://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=CECY2
The USDA refers to it as the Garden Coneflower. No other common names are provided which throws lots of people off. Go to Google and you will find that Centaurea cyanus also goes by the common name of good old Bachelor's Buttons that we would all be familiar with since they're frequently used in "wildflower" mixes as a cheap filler. Once you can get your hand on the scientific name to be able to poke around a little bit on the Internet, you'll find that Centaurea cyanus also goes by the common name of Knapweed which it shares with about 50 other species. Plants can have many common names but they will always only have one scientific name. Point in context, Gomphrena globosa also is referred to as Bachelor's Buttons however it is listed at the USDA site by the common name of Globe Amaranth. Plug in Bachelor's Buttons at that site and change the search to common names and you will come up empty handed. That's an issue that should be addressed because there are many gardeners who use that site trying to determine if a plant they want to buy is invasive or not and the vast majority are using common names when they search for information.

Another limitation of that site is that they have not addressed the misspellings of some species. Butterfly Bush comes to mind first as the misspelling of plant's scientific name seems to be perpetuated by the nursery industry. Buddleja davidii is a very popular plant and makes oodles of money for people propagating it and selling it. It's a cash cow and is almost always sold under the common name of Butterfly Bush with the cultivar du jour tossed in so that people can collect them all if they want to. A scientific name if given at all, is given as Buddleia. Plop that in the USDA Plants Darabase search engine and you will get no results. If one knows to go by the proper scientific spelling of the genus which has a j not an I in it, one will get results such as this-
https://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=BUDA2

Barring a few limitations and deficiencies, that's probably the best site out there for North American gardeners of all skillsets. As you will see, they're blanketing the US and Canada quite nicely.

Expanding on the above, here's a site for plant types that might prove invaluable to you somewhere down the road-
https://www.evergreen.ca/nativeplants/learn-more/ecozones-canada.php
And another for you in Canada that might be of help-
https://www.evergreen.ca/nativeplants/search/index.php

brian

Thanks very much for the links, I am sure they will be helpful. I would like very much to understand my plants and care for them rather than kill them with misunderstanding and replace them as iI have done so much in the past. I have recently left behind a life of alcohol and drug abuse and I am starting to really appreciate the living world around me and my part in it. Anyways sorry about the blog. Have a great day and thanks again for the information. :D

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I hope your love and appreciation for the natural world continues and that you become totally addicted to being a good steward to the land!

For what it's worth, I kill a lot of houseplants. Most times, one learns just as much if not more from killing plants as one can learn from growing them successfully. That being said, please don't get hung up on perceived failures. Keep moving forward, one day at a time. Let's turn you into an official "plantaholic"! I am and I'm proud of it!

brian

thanks for the encouragement, I think I might already be addicted to gardening, I cant wait to get going outside. I will take plantaholic over alcoholic any day, thanks again :D

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Brian,

While this is obviously not an in depth treatise on taxonomy I have found it useful.

[url]https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/taxonomy.htm[/url]

Norm

brian

Thank you Norm,
Any information is helpfull. Have a nice Day :D

brian

thanks for those sites I just went to the evergreen site and found a wealth of information on what plants will thrive in my region of ontario, Canada, excellent advice thanks a ton. I also visited the site that explains the names of plants, there is hope for me to learn the language of gardening! Thanks everyone, Brian :D

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Brian, what type of plants are you looking for?

brian

I am looking for climbing plants for a trellis on the front of my house and it has a northern exposure s o it only gets afternoon sun and I think the soil is acidic because of the cedars and the dogwood trees that are very close to the trellis. I was just looking at Dioica glaucescens and Ipomoea pandarata, do you know anything about these species? Thanks for asking and for you help. :D

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

If you are interested in biological research try biologists.com which is a public research database for Development, the Journal of Cell Biology and one other that I currently can't remember.

The search engine is a little finicky but, it is a good site.

If you just looking for gardening advice you can use our search engine to search this site we have a lot of information in the threads and in articles.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Ah, the north side of a house, my bane.

The Dioica glaucescens you mentioned is probably Lonicera dioica var. glaucescens. Great plant but don't know how well it will do on the northern side of your home. The Ipomoea pandarata you mentioned is actually Ipomoea pandurata. Not familiar with that one so I searched for info on it. Looks like a nice native plant for where you garden but after reading up a little bit on it, I don't believe it would be a good choice. Accounts seem to indicate it likes full sun but that has not stopped me before. can't hurt to try it. what's the worst thing that could happen, it dies?

I doubt the presence of either of those species would alter the pH of your soil but you could always test it if you're concerned your pH is real low.

I totally struggle with the north side of my house so I've been sticking things in the ground just to see if they’ll make it or not. I'll list out what I've “stuckâ€

brian

Thak you for the wealth of information. I have grown hostas and seedums from cuttings split off a friends plant for years in that same area and they have grown wonderfully and are huge. I also vaguely remember planting a Rhododendron there a long time ago, if my memory serves me well (and sometimes it doesn't) I think it did quite well and floweed beautifully but iI didn't take care of it and it died the first winter. I have the same problem as you, I need some height out of whatever I plant on the trellis. I am going to look up all of the plants you suggested and please keep me posted on any of the plants you are experimenting with on that north facing wall. Hopefully you will find a balance between something that will grow and something the deer do not enjoy eating so much! :D God Bless, Brian.
Oh I amost forgot, thank you so much to everyone for all of the sites that you have suggested they have been a huge help to me and I am learning a lot. There is hope for me yet!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”